Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,911 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

WTA: World Number 1, Ashley Bartey Quits Tennis At 25 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / WTA: World Number 1, Ashley Bartey Quits Tennis At 25 (208 Views)

15-year-old Coco Gauff Becomes Youngest To Win WTA Title In 42 Years (Photos) / When Ronaldo Ended Ashley Cole Arsenal Career (Throwback) / French Open 2019: WTA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

WTA: World Number 1, Ashley Bartey Quits Tennis At 25 by kilisi(m): 8:40am On Mar 23, 2022
Ash Barty dropped a bombshell on the tennis world on Wednesday as she announced her retirement from the game at just 25. The shock announcement came just two months after claiming a third Grand Slam title at the Australian Open - the first local person to win at Melbourne Park for 44 years.

Citing the fulfilment of her tennis goals and fatigue with life on the Tour, the world number one walks away with 15 titles to her name, including last year’s Wimbledon crown.

"I know how much work it takes to bring the best out of yourself ... I don't have that in me anymore," she said in video posted on her Instagram account on Wednesday.
"I don't have the physical drive, the emotional want and everything it takes to challenge yourself at the very top level any more. I am spent."

It marks Barty's second retirement from the sport, having walked away from the game as a teenager in late-2014 after becoming disaffected by the Tour. She returned in 2016 and rose rapidly up the rankings, earning global acclaim for her tennis and fans' affection for her sportsmanship and laid-back demeanour.

Spending 121 weeks as world number one, Barty won the 2019 French Open and Wimbledon in 2021 and appeared well set for more Grand Slam success to take her place among the game's greats.

cc: Lalasticlala, Seun, dominque

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/ash-barty-retires-tennis-world-number-one-australia-b989870.html
Re: WTA: World Number 1, Ashley Bartey Quits Tennis At 25 by majamajic(m): 8:48am On Mar 23, 2022
Na she understand herself

1 Like

Re: WTA: World Number 1, Ashley Bartey Quits Tennis At 25 by kilisi(m): 9:09am On Mar 23, 2022
majamajic:
Na she understand herself

But the decision is shocking I must say. At 25, approaching her peak and set to dominate the women tennis for many years, she has chosen to pursue other activities.

(1) (Reply)

Full Video Of Angry Nigerian Youth Destroying Abuja National Stadium / Liverpool Beat Man United Go Top Of The League / Manchester United 1-1 Chelsea Ronaldo To The Rescue Again !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.