Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam (3845 Views)

Help: Internet Modem Configuration On RedHat Linux / How To Install Redhat Linux On Windows Using Vmware / Squid Proxy Server Configuration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 9:01am On Feb 18, 2006
Good day guys,

I will like to know how to configure my linux server to allow webcam.
The server has been congifure to be the proxy (Squid) server btw my LAN and the Internet but it not allowing view web cam.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by oasis: 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2006
Look into making the computer with the webcam a DMZ. It's hard to offer advice without knowing your specific squid congiuration.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 6:16pm On Feb 18, 2006
Hello oasis,
Thanks for your assistance offer.

The changes I made to the default squid configuration are:

1. Addded http_port 9877.
2. Then http_access allow all.
3. Also added acl our_network scr 10.10.10.0/24
4. Then I added http_access allow our_network
5. Then I added http_reply_access allow our_network

With these addidition I have been able to connection the internet via my squid server.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by oasis: 2:32am On Feb 19, 2006
Good job. I'm sure your solution would help those in similar situation.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 3:29pm On Feb 19, 2006
Hello oasis, I thought u a going to help out. I want to be able to use webcam with my squid server.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Seun(m): 11:56am On Feb 20, 2006
You need an IP address for each PC on your network that you want to use for webcam.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 6:27pm On Feb 20, 2006
Good day Seun,

Thanks for the concern but each system on my network has a unique Ip address assigned arleady.

So what ease do I need to configured.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Seun(m): 8:47pm On Feb 23, 2006
Private IP addresses like 192.168.0.* or 10.0.0.* will not work! You need publicly visible IP addresses.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 11:12pm On Feb 27, 2006
onanugaola,

Saw your post - Since your squid server is your gateway, I reckon you have 2 NICs on your server, one acting as the WAN gateway and the other as the LAN gateway. To allow your webcam to browse, you have to tell your system to allow all outgoing ports, I can't seem to remember the actual command put I will send it to you as soon as I do. I have build squid servers and you have to enable this for post of your apps to work i.e yahoo IM, video and audio conferencing.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Ynot(m): 12:52am On Feb 28, 2006
I'm not sure i understood whacha trying to do but i will suggest you get Smoothwall Express. Works with any old pc. All you need is 3 NIC card (Red, Green and Orange Interfaces).

Red (NIC) Interface connects to your cable/dsl modem.
Green (NIC) Interface connects to your secured network.
Orange (NIC) Interface Connects to the open network (could be your web server, FTP sever,  etc)

Good thing is, the system will work as a firewall, server as well as a router.  List of services you can enable.

The drawback is that the box has to be a dedicated system. Read their documentation to make sure thats what you actually need. Been using it for a long time and the last time i rebooted was like 2 years ago.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 1:04am On Feb 28, 2006
Ynot,

Smoothwall is good. He just needs to allow port forwarding to the internet, it's a command I use all the time but I can't remember - I will post it as soon as I remember it
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2006
@alexis, thanks for your assistance. I am awaiting your reply. Pray u remember the configurations.
U are right about d 2NIC on the squid server. Remember I am using REDHAT 9 LINUX.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 10:44pm On Mar 02, 2006
Can't say I am 100% sure that this is the command, I will verify from my friend tomorrow. Log in as root and issue the following command at the terminal

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

After that, restart squid and try your webcam. Let me know if it worked but I will confirm the command when I talk to my friend tomorrow.

Why are you still using Redhat 9.0. It is no more supported, migrate to Fedora or FreeBSD

Cheers
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 9:16am On Mar 04, 2006
@alexis, thanks for assistance I will try the command and report back to u.

But where can get Fedora or FreeBSD CD? are they available at Ikeja Computer Village?
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 8:55pm On Mar 07, 2006
I am sure you can get them at Ikeja Computer Village. Also, I suggest you try www.pogolinux.com - they are a linux hardware company that gives out free Fedora Core 2 CDs out to support the opensource spirit. You can write them and request for one, I did and they sent me one and I live in Ghana, I am sure you can mail them and they will send you a copy too.

I have FreeBSD with me here but I really don't know where you can get it. I will be coming home for Easter this year and I am sure I can reach you and give you a copy.

For both fedora and freebsd, you can go to their websites and download the image files but you will need a fast internet connection. For fedora, go to fedora.redhat.com. For freebsd, go to www.freebsd.org. I hope this helps
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 6:19pm On Mar 08, 2006
@alexis, thanks for the message.

I will check the site and request for the free CD and I will also check whether I can get it at Ikeja Computer Village.

When next you are coming to Nigeria, my email address is onanugaola@yahoo.com
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 7:07pm On Mar 09, 2006
@alexis, thanks for all ur assistance.

Have issue the command u gave, but the cam is yet to be view from the other end.

The Cam system gives an error message:: A network error occured while connecting to the server.

Although I am yet to test view cam from the other end.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 2:02pm On Mar 12, 2006
hi,

my email address is alexdehaini at gmail dot com. Should be home in April, I will send you a mail. You can email me anytime. Have you checked the squid website to see if your issue is solved? http://www.squid-cache.org. Concerning the command i gave you, what problem are you having?
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by shriketech: 2:48pm On Mar 24, 2006
Hi onanugaola,

It appears you are not very familiar with Linux. The problem you are having is a lot more difficult than just squid. You need to be doing NAT on the network and so smoothwall would have taken care of that for you. If you are really not sure about how to go about all this and cant take the pain to read it up properly before having to implement it in a production environment, I would suggest you use one of the easy to setup Linux distros out there, that do all the work for you.

Some good ones are
smoothwall www.smoothwall.org (as mentioned before)
Clarkconnect Linux www.clarkconnect.com (also based on Redhat 9 BTW)
IPCOP (cant remember the URL)

I'm sure you already have a dedicated system which you use for your redhat 9, so using these will erase your hard drive and make a dedicated gateway/firewall/cache system with web-based point-and-click configuration, which I'm sure you would find easy to use.
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 3:15pm On Mar 26, 2006
shriketech,

I really don't think it has to do with NATTING. Squid can handle web cams, you just have to enable the ports that web cam work on
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 9:13pm On Mar 27, 2006
onanugaola,

Finally found it, just enable packet forwarding by editing your /etc/sysctl.conf file

Before

# Disables packet forwarding
#net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

After

# Enables packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

This will only enable it when you reboot at which time Linux will create a file in one of the subdirectories of the special RAM memory based /proc filesystem. To activate the feature immediately you have to create a single lined text file called /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and it only contain the value "1". Here is how it's done:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Let me know the outcome
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 2:22pm On Apr 02, 2006
Thanks Alexis,

I will get back to you after carrying out your solutions.

God Bless
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by alexis(m): 9:38pm On Apr 02, 2006
Sure,

Let me know the outcome
Re: Using Redhat Linux 9.3 --squid Server With Webcam by Larufa(m): 1:02pm On Apr 27, 2006
alexis:

Sure,

Let me know the outcome

Thanks Oga Alex.

It (Webcam) is not working yet oo.

Infact I can not connection to yahoo chat room.
If I bypass the squid server I can view webcam as well as connect to yahoo chat room.

Please what do I need to do to connect to yahoo chat room.

(1) (Reply)

Universal Driver For Usb Web Cam / 10 Useful Features Hidden In VLC (swiss Army Knife Of Media Players) / Free Web2sms Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.