Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) (786 Views)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by klassyguy(m): 4:28pm On Apr 06, 2022
https://www.nairaland.com/7047022/sons-behavior-getting-out-hand

Good day everyone. So after all the advice, criticism, and others from my previous thread on this topic, I had a chat with my wife about taking my son for an evaluation. Like I mentioned in the previous thread, I had spoken to my mum and asked her if I was ever tested when I was younger, and she told me the school advised they do the test on me, which came out negative for ADHD. With that in mind, I convinced my wife to let us at least rule it out.

I took him for the test last Wednesday morning, The little guy seemed nervous. He was not the usual chatterbox that he was whenever we were in the car. The doctor took him in and after about an hour, they came out. He told me he will have the results sent to me as soon as they were ready.

On Monday, the call came through. He asked me a couple of questions about the boy which I answered. He said from the cognitive tests and analysis they conducted, they see NO SIGN OF ADHD. The result came out negative. He told me that during the test, he first had a bit of a struggle getting him to concentrate. But what made him initially doubt ADHD was later on in the evaluation, my son repeated every single thing the doctor had thought he was not paying attention to. As in everything. Word for word. He also said he was quite impressed when he started telling him about things he usually observed in kids that were way older than he was.

His conclusion - the kid is just bored. He is not being challenged enough. He said he has a very bright mind and we should try develop him. I thought about it too - the little guy is six. If he was in Nigeria today, he would be in primary 3. We Africans generally have brighter minds than other nations. He would have been doing more challenging stuff than the Grade 1 material he's doing now.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. Now that I know he isn't going through any mental "hell", I believe challenging him is the next thing I have to figure out. Like i mentioned, I put him in a soccer club and so far, with gentle prodding, he seems to be doing better. I also talk to him more and remind him everyday when going to school to behave. He seems to take the advice and his teacher told his mom last week that he behaves in class more. I rewarded him with some hours on the PS5 on Saturday and he was very happy. He recently asked me to get him a new James Train to replace the one he misplaced when we were moving house, and I told him if he behaves more in school, I will.

8 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by illicit(m): 4:40pm On Apr 06, 2022
Bring him home during the holiday
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by Cinema4d: 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2022
Keep an eye on him.
Ensure you train him in the way he should go.
Don't pamper him too much at this level.
Try to figure out what he likes to do (what he's interested in). Train him up in that line and thank me later wink .

I design!
3d animation
Explainer videos
White board animation
Video ads
Graphics design.

Hit me up, check my siggy, and ask for my portfolio.

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by MoneyGoDrop: 5:07pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nothing with make me train my kids in Africa,that's a promise i must surely keep.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by ImaIma1(f): 6:22pm On Apr 06, 2022
klassyguy:

Good day everyone. So after all the advice, criticism, and others from my previous thread on this topic, I had a chat with my wife about taking my son for an evaluation. Like I mentioned in the previous thread, I had spoken to my mum and asked her if I was ever tested when I was younger, and she told me the school advised they do the test on me, which came out negative for ADHD. With that in mind, I convinced my wife to let us at least rule it out.

I took him for the test last Wednesday morning, The little guy seemed nervous. He was not the usual chatterbox that he was whenever we were in the car. The doctor took him in and after about an hour, they came out. He told me he will have the results sent to me as soon as they were ready.

On Monday, the call came through. He asked me a couple of questions about the boy which I answered. He said from the cognitive tests and analysis they conducted, they see NO SIGN OF ADHD. The result came out negative. He told me that during the test, he first had a bit of a struggle getting him to concentrate. But what made him initially doubt ADHD was later on in the evaluation, my son repeated every single thing the doctor had thought he was not paying attention to. As in everything. Word for word. He also said he was quite impressed when he started telling him about things he usually observed in kids that were way older than he was.

His conclusion - the kid is just bored. He is not being challenged enough. He said he has a very bright mind and we should try develop him. I thought about it too - the little guy is six. If he was in Nigeria today, he would be in primary 3. We Africans generally have brighter minds than other nations. He would have been doing more challenging stuff than the Grade 1 material he's doing now.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. Now that I know he isn't going through any mental "hell", I believe challenging him is the next thing I have to figure out. Like i mentioned, I put him in a soccer club and so far, with gentle prodding, he seems to be doing better. I also talk to him more and remind him everyday when going to school to behave. He seems to take the advice and his teacher told his mom last week that he behaves in class more. I rewarded him with some hours on the PS5 on Saturday and he was very happy. He recently asked me to get him a new James Train to replace the one he misplaced when we were moving house, and I told him if he behaves more in school, I will.

At least this has put your minds at ease about the,ADHD. Meanwhile some people had diagnosed,interpreted the diagnosis and even moved to treatment.

Challenge him as you have said. I believe that as he grows older it will all be better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by Sekoni003(m): 7:47pm On Apr 06, 2022
illicit:
Bring him home during the holiday

Kindly ignore this joker please cheesy
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by illicit(m): 7:50pm On Apr 06, 2022
Sekoni003:

Kindly ignore this joker please cheesy

Not joking
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by Beremx(f): 8:16pm On Apr 06, 2022
He will outgrow the character. Seems his adrenaline is on the high side. grin
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:17pm On Apr 06, 2022
klassyguy:

congratulations!!!

You are lucky.

Maybe get him more books of a higher level

2 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by Mmirinma: 2:14am On Apr 07, 2022
Try to keep his brain active with things he is interested in. Games are good for brain development and since that is one of the things he is interested in maybe teach him programming so he can create his own games. YouTube is one of the places you can learn such skills for free. Just know that if he is indeed gifted then bringing him to Nigeria will only limit his abilities and please [b]do not flog him into submission. [/b]With time you may also want to find an academic mentor who understands how his brain functions but will not take advantage of his skills. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by Coldplay007(f): 3:24am On Apr 07, 2022
Nice. Better. Apologies for some of the harsh words we used.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) by Richy4(m): 10:03am On Apr 07, 2022
I'm Happy that the result came out negative smiley...

Soccer is good but if he isn't interested, do not force that on him...I still think that Piano and violin lessons will help him...other alternative would be karate or taekwondo lessons,

Meeting other young stars like him in terms of Boys scout will also help reduce the degree of boredom in him... U will discover where his interest lies eventually.. Good luck.. cool

(1) (Reply)

I'm Stranded, Need Help With Any Job With Accommodation / Video: Wahala! See Sallah's Ram Of N700k / 3 Tips - How To Make Him Fall In Love With Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.