Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,414 members, 7,861,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:21 AM

Movie Misconceptions - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Movie Misconceptions (1624 Views)

5 Misconceptions About The Ogboni Fraternity Group In Nigeria / 5 Common Wildlife Misconceptions You Should Do Away With(photos) / 10 Misconceptions About Devices We Continue To Believe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 7:52am On Apr 09, 2022
Detectives chasing a suspect from rooftop to rooftop. That must never happen in real life.

Space aliens speaking English. (Of Course why not , they landed in America)

The wimp knocking out the bully.

Slow motion bullets.(you can never ever ever take a bullet for someone unless you are a speeding train).

Narrowly avoiding a train during a car chase (the chaser will always get blocked by the train).

Easy birth, clean baby handed to mother immediately.

Easy to hack databases.

The beats-to-her-own-drummer hottie who takes a boring but handsome guy on an adventure.

Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 7:54am On Apr 09, 2022
Space helments

And this is a 100% legit, guaranteed to be in every scifi movie ever produced or to be produced in the future helmet:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 7:55am On Apr 09, 2022
The Fake.The difference? Internal lighting. Because you absolutely need internal lighting in your helmet to… to…

Well, to show your million dollar star face EVERY FUCKING TIME he/she is on screen.

I pity the fool who tries to use a helmet with internal lighting in real life. Might as well use a blindfold

Re: Movie Misconceptions by 9182736455O1999(m): 11:27am On Apr 09, 2022
Nice
Re: Movie Misconceptions by okrikaboi: 11:51am On Apr 09, 2022
TheSourcerer:
Front sitters
CAPSLOCKED ,Dominique, Dorwadora LordReed,hopeful landlord,dogged fighter, xmuslim,budatum,dominatrix,peaceful,puvo,mokeygirl,candidlady,datboredberri, MrJaay,
luminouz (hey hello) smiley

This is supposed to be a comical thread , do as you may ....

The villain jumps out of nowhere, and trains his gun on the hero.

-

The hero is unarmed, unprepared, and helpless. He can do nothing against the villain’s gun. He’s completely defenseless.

Then the idiotic villain walks up, and holds the gun right against his head.

Inevitably, the hero will do a cool move, twist the gun out of his hand, and turn it on him.

Sacré bleu! How could this happen?

In real life, that is the dumbest possible move you could make in that situation.

-

You’re holding a gun. You can shoot hundreds of feet.

He has hands. They can punch about 3 feet.

-

Even if you stand just 10 feet away, he’s helpless. Absolutely no chance. You have complete control. Why the hell would you ever put the gun against his head, within range of his hands?

Stay back, keep some space, and you have him dead to rights. He can’t do a thing.

-

Do you really think a professional assassin doesn’t know this? Or a rogue cop? Or an ex-soldier? Or literally any person with at least a minor understanding of firearms?

It’s just common sense. Keep the gun out of range of their hands. It’s super simple stuff, but apparently not simple enough for Hollywood.
-
Firstly the chances of disarming a man holding a gun to your head with your hands is 0.0000000000000000 abeg

1 Like

Re: Movie Misconceptions by okrikaboi: 11:58am On Apr 09, 2022
TheSourcerer:
After hearing this, no recruiters will show interest in you
After watching this movie I told myself if you like no read. Only privileged and lucky people make money from their passions. Same dream idea and skill you have is honed by millions no idea is unique.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Movie Misconceptions by okrikaboi: 12:02pm On Apr 09, 2022
TheSourcerer:
This is how a typical Granades hits.
Only a few Vietnam war movie depictions get this right.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Movie Misconceptions by Wblord5: 12:13pm On Apr 09, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 12:23pm On Apr 09, 2022
OTHER MOVIE MISCONCEPTIONS

.After wild sex last night, the character remembered to put clothes back on so they could get out of bed the following morning without showing their arse to the film crew.
I, the character, will die slowly enough to say something meaningful in your ear but too fast to say where the treasure’s buried.
The dashboard is so bright that it lights up my face for night shots but not bright enough to distract me.
I’ll chase you anywhere you want in my car as long as you drive through a street market where I can upset a few fruit stalls.

Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 12:25pm On Apr 09, 2022
MORE MOVIE ABSURD CLICHÉS

Splitting up Cliche: A group of people deciding to split up when they are running away from a criminal, because yeah, that’s what I’ll be doing!
Lack of communication Cliche: An entire movie, chapter or series based on a conflict between two people, and the only reason they are still enemies because one of them won’t tell the other about the slight miss-understanding, like Spider-Man, in real life, Peter Parker just tells his friend in chapter 1: “Hey dude, I didn’t kill your father, he attacked me and he killed himself” over.
“We’re both alike” Cliche: the Villain has killed 2 Billion people, the Protagonist killed one guy by accident, and he goes to him saying: “we’re both alike, we’re both murderers”, in real life, I’ll tell the guy: “No, I killed someone by mistake, you killed Billions intentionally, Bleep you, we’re nothing alike”
“I understand what you’re going through” - “You can’t possibly understand what I’m going through” Cliche: we get it, someone has been through a horrible incident, it must be difficult, but that doesn’t mean that someone needs to go through the exact experiment so they can relate, it’s just a Cliche the movie uses so both characters end up knowing each other’s tragedies for emotional Value.
“Cured by Love from a Curse” Cliche: Sometimes it’s acceptably dumb, but sometimes it’s just beyond dumb, people go through an entire process of brainwashing, and are cured by a “Kiss” from their loved ones and the whole thing is gone.
“Aliens are allergic to Earth” Cliche: Need I say more? “War of the Worlds”, “Signs”, the idea that a creature from Outer Space with extreme technological advancements still unable to overcome cold or Flu is just pure ridiculous.
Small Cliches:

Protagonist opens TV at the exact moment News are broadcasting news about something he’s interested in Cliche.
Someone eavesdrop at a conversation behind a door he exact moment they’re spelling out important information Cliche.
The Protagonist and the Villain pass each other at some point and look each other in the face with one (or both) of them not knowing each other’s true identity.
Defusing a bomb or escaping an explosion in the last Milisecond, either while it’s going off, or a second afterwards.
Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 12:28pm On Apr 09, 2022
Only Movie completely devoid of cliché.

It forgoes every established cliche in the book. Then it throws the book on the ground. Then it steps on the book. Then it lights the book on fire.

That film is Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles.

The film follows a woman who does her house chores.

It is 3 hours long

It is completely lacking in cliche, mostly because the film is intentionally excruciating in its presentation of everyday life.

There is no plot, no story, and little character. There is hardly any dialogue. It goes totally against what everything else has done.

The most dramatic moments in the film aren’t presented any differently than when the protagonist cleans her bathtub.

It’s almost impossible to quantify how strange viewing this is. The film is completely different for every single person.

That’s what makes it so fascinating.

1 Like

Re: Movie Misconceptions by Danmboss(m): 12:35pm On Apr 09, 2022
okrikaboi:

Only a few Vietnam war movie depictions get this right.

Have you watched saving private Ryan?
Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 12:35pm On Apr 09, 2022
More Absurd Cliches .

The reluctant protagonist.
He initially denies tobtake then job because he's done with it, then he changes his mind when something personal of him is at stake.

The last moment cliche.
The enemy is about to kill the main character who's injured and lying helpless, when something or someone comes and tackles the villian away saving him.

The chosen one.
The hero is the one and only one who can defeat the evil. His fate has been written for a great final Battle. Harry Potter,

Pseudo mora
The hero refuses to shoot the villian, no matter how bag he is, because he feels that would turn him into a killer. E.g James Bond in Spectre, Batman in The Dark Knight

The generic villian justifying that his goals are good. E.g Killmonger in Black Panther,
The House party. Booze, babes, sex, swimming pools etc. You name it. A typical house party scene in a Hollywood has it all.

1 Like

Re: Movie Misconceptions by hayoholla(m): 2:06pm On Apr 09, 2022
Reality can be boring with the details, Movies are meant to elicit emotions.
Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 3:07pm On Apr 09, 2022
hayoholla:
Reality can be boring with the details, Movies are meant to elicit emotions.
I know blood brother , ignorace is indeed bliss
Re: Movie Misconceptions by bomasek(m): 3:38pm On Apr 09, 2022
How about when actors fall inside water,we see them soaked and dry immediately they are out of the water
Re: Movie Misconceptions by KillJoy62(m): 11:26pm On Apr 09, 2022
How about Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies Commando and Rambo, firing GPMG at multiple enemies openly, not behind any cover. Those two men are responsible for the death of many gun wielding security operatives or criminals that tried mimicking them. Then John woo's movie The Killer that fires more than a normal weapons magazine capacity of any small arms.
Then action/war movies also that love firing rapid or auto with their rifle from the beginning to the end how many magazines was issued to them? Reminds me the day we had open confrontation with armed bandit along pole wire sarkin pawa nd kaduna, my guy pulls his trigger of his AK b4 u know 29 rounds don go not even one touch the 5 armed robbers in his line of fire.

2 Likes

Re: Movie Misconceptions by Dorwadora(f): 11:31pm On Apr 09, 2022
TheSourcerer:
There’s always the 21st-century feminist character inserted into historical fiction, who’s clearly not been socialized in the time she’s supposed to live.

The typical: ‘Oh Elisabeth Alexandra Victoria dear, why must we wear these ghastly, oppressive, things?’

In 19th-century literature, a slight form of this character often exists—like Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, Helen Graham, Elizabeth Bennet or Jo March. But we watched these women navigate their progressive ideas using the language and ideals of her time, and it was so much more fascinating.

Many women challenged Victorian ideals, but 19th century feminism simply isn’t 21st century feminism.

For women of the time, their reality was normal. A woman might find corsets uncomfortable, but she’s more likely to think, “I want a more comfortable corset” than “corsets are a tool of the patriarchy and all women should be free of them”.

I don’t see the point of sanitising or erasing history. Why can’t we view how society progressed, and how progression itself progressed? That’s the beauty of society: it evolves.

If you’re going to attempt to create authentic Victorian or Medieval characters—write them accurately. I’m tired of watching period dramas centred around a 2010s-esque, third-wave feminist worldview. These movies are modern women in crinolines, rather than genuine period dramas.

These horribly frustrating characters only really exist to assure modern audiences that there’s a voice of reason
You've nailed this.... As a person who love book I find somethings as odd... I once read
book where the wife was berating her husband for wearing a plastic removable collar... I was like shey this one dey whine me the.... Collar wey wives dey always happy and feel proud of grin grin cheesy@TheSourcererr try Nora Roberts.... She's good with her historical characters

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Movie Misconceptions by TheSourcerer: 7:24am On Apr 10, 2022
Dorwadora:
You've nailed this.... As a person who love book I find somethings as odd... I once read
book where the wife was berating her husband for wearing a plastic removable collar... I was like shey this one dey whine me the.... Collar wey wives dey always happy and feel proud of grin grin cheesy@TheSourcererr try Nora Roberts.... She's good with her historical characters
Oh I will , hey how's your morning so far .?

(1) (2) (Reply)

PTDF Award Of 2022/2023 Oversees Scholarship List isOut!! / Latest Development On Unilorin Admission List / Akwa Ibom State University Of Technolgy (akutech)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.