Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,752 members, 7,851,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:23 PM

Igbos Of Haiti. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Of Haiti. (398 Views)

Igbos Of Haiti. / Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Igbos Of Haiti. by CribsofLagos(m): 1:48pm On Apr 11, 2022
https://www.quora.com/Which-part-of-Africa-did-the-people-of-Haiti-originate/answer/David-Laurent-8?ch=17&oid=241726172&share=016dad91&srid=q3oF&target_type=answer

Which part of Africa did the people of Haiti originate?
Profile photo for David Laurent
David Laurent
·
Follow
I'm Haitian Updated 1y
By the time our ancestors left Africa, there were no traditional borders (or carved out countries) as we refer to them today; just old Kingdoms, many of them were on the verge of collapsed.

Going by DNA tests on average: Haitians have a recurring theme with these 3 modern-day countries from what I've seen:

1. Cameroon/Congo

2. Nigeria

3. Benin/Togo

These 3 countries are a forever recurring theme in almost every ancestry DNA for the average Haitian.

Based on spoken history (old adages/sayings and DNA), I'm going to venture and say these ethnic groups are very present within many of us here on the island:

1. Igbo (found in Southern Nigeria close to Cameroon)

"Nou se Ibo" ("We are Igbos"wink

This is an old Haitian saying

The word Ibo which translates to Igbo is very revered in Haitian culture and translate to South Eastern Nigerian tribe of Igbo. There are at least one street (Route Ibo lélé), a hotel (Hotel Ibo), radio station (radio Ibo) and many other known historic clubs by the name of Ibo, honoring the Igbo ancestry. There's even a dance called 'Ibo dance' (dansé ibo). There's also a folklore song honoring them: Ibo grandmoun (Igbos are their own authority).

2. Dahomey Kingdom (Fon, Ewe, Yoruba) (covered present Western Nigeria and Benin Republic, possibly Togo?)

Nou soti Dawomé ("We are of Dahomey"wink

What some of our elders used to tell us

My great grandmother used to say that to me, although she could have picked it up from her parents as well who passed it down. Not sure.

Note: In Haitian Vodou, many of the (Rada*) spirits are of Fon, Congolese or Yoruba ancestry. (Overwhelmingly)

3. Kongo (found in Congo, Angola and Gabon)

"Bèl Kongo" (Beautiful Kongo*)

"Nèg Kongo" ("I'm of the Congo"wink

Very popular in Haitian Dialect

Referring to Kongolese ethnic group in Congo (although I believe Kongo is a language and BaKongo is the name for the ethnic group?).

Haiti stored and passed on oral history holds many clues. Modern DNA tests seem to be (to some extent) confirming them.

It is no surprise then these 3 countries are recurring in our (ancestry) DNAs. But I wouldn't overestimate these figures for every single one of us. Haitians are very diverse with some (small or big) fractions of European, Jewish and Middle Eastern DNA all the way to the tip of Southern Africa.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Generation Z For Generation Zombie / #childrensday: Different Ways To Call A Child In Yoruba Language. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.