Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? (11767 Views)

Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. / Getting A Remote Job In Nigeria That Pays In Dollars / 3 Sectors With High Employment Rate Unemployed Graduates Should Consider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by chuksdsilent: 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2022
There are so many online fake companies out there

That want to defraud people in one way or the other

my question is how can one identify these fake company

What should one consider when taking up remote job?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by airsaylongcome: 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2022
The first consideration is health. These remote jobs you go siddon tire. Then basic due diligence. Any job that involves paying before you get the job, scam. Any job that the interview is on WhatsApp or Telegram, SCAM. Also be somewhat wary of sending your CV/Resume to any Tom, Dixk or Harry. I'm very guarded about my personal identifying information. For example I don't have a LinkedIn or Facebook presence. Does that put me at a disadvantage? Of course it does. But that's my "risk" profile. Have an email account strictly for jobs. I use outlook.com strictly for jobs. Make it a professional looking email. firstname.lastname@blablah.com
Then have loads and loads of patience. I was lucky that the first two remote jobs I applied for, I got an offer letter. Turned one down. Took me 8 months to get a 2nd one in addition to the first one. Take care of your health. Get a good chair and desk. Get a source of steady power. Get good internet.

I wish you luck in your hunt.

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:32pm On Apr 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:
The first consideration is health. These remote jobs you go siddon tire. Then basic due diligence. Any job that involves paying before you get the job, scam. Any job that the interview is on WhatsApp or Telegram, SCAM. Also be somewhat wary of sending your VV/Resume to any Tom, Dixk or Harry. I'm very guarded about my personal identifying information. For example I don't have a LinkedIn or Facebook presence. Does that put me at a disadvantage? Of course it does. But that's my "risk" profile. Have an email account strictly for jobs. I use outlook.com strictly for jobs. Make it a professional looking email. firstname.lastname@blablah.com
Then have loads and loads of patience. I was lucky that the first two remote jobs I applied for, I got an offer letter. Turned than one. [b]Took me 8 months to get a 2nd one in addition to the first one. [/b]Take care of your health. Get a good chair and desk. Get a source of steady power. Get good internet.

Please tell them o. Some of them want to have their first remote job in 2 weeks after applying to 5 jobs grin cheesy.

23 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by airsaylongcome: 7:43pm On Apr 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Please tell them o. Some of them want to have their first remote job in 2 weeks after applying to 5 jobs grin cheesy.

Two weeks is to first get orientation to the "shock" that that your "fine" CV/Resume no go even get you invite to interview. Especially with the funny way we do CV here, emphasising "Strong 2:1" age, gender and even local government of origin lol

Then there's also the misconception that remote work is "easy". Na to just siddon for front of computer. You go siddon sotay you go know say sitting down is exhausting

22 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Altairx440: 7:58pm On Apr 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Two weeks is to first get orientation to the "shock" that that your "fine" CV/Resume no go even get you invite to interview. Especially with the funny way we do CV here, emphasising "Strong 2:1" age, gender and even local government of origin lol

Then there's also the misconception that remote work is "easy". Na to just siddon for front of computer. You go siddon sotay you go know say sitting down is exhausting
Wouldn't that depend on the terms of the job, some remote jobs are task based, you get an amount of tasks to complete in say a week, how you do it doesn't matter.

4 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by airsaylongcome: 9:06pm On Apr 16, 2022
Altairx440:

Wouldn't that depend on the terms of the job, some remote jobs are task based, you get an amount of tasks to complete in say a week, how you do it doesn't matter.

Freelance remote? Or long-term contractor/full-time employee remote?

I haven't had experience with task based remote jobs. It's been mostly hourly rates offer for me

2 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by chuksdsilent: 10:42pm On Apr 16, 2022
Thanks for your awesome reply

airsaylongcome:
The first consideration is health. These remote jobs you go siddon tire. Then basic due diligence. Any job that involves paying before you get the job, scam. Any job that the interview is on WhatsApp or Telegram, SCAM. Also be somewhat wary of sending your VV/Resume to any Tom, Dixk or Harry. I'm very guarded about my personal identifying information. For example I don't have a LinkedIn or Facebook presence. Does that put me at a disadvantage? Of course it does. But that's my "risk" profile. Have an email account strictly for jobs. I use outlook.com strictly for jobs. Make it a professional looking email. firstname.lastname@blablah.com
Then have loads and loads of patience. I was lucky that the first two remote jobs I applied for, I got an offer letter. Turned one down. Took me 8 months to get a 2nd one in addition to the first one. Take care of your health. Get a good chair and desk. Get a source of steady power. Get good internet.

7 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by AgentGoat: 11:51am On Apr 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Like if it is 8 working hours you go sit down for that period?

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by airsaylongcome: 12:15pm On Apr 17, 2022
AgentGoat:

Like if it is 8 working hours you go sit down for that period?

It's not mandatory. But my role is a client facing role. So I can't afford to be attending to a customer while laid down

6 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Altairx440: 1:32pm On Apr 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Freelance remote? Or long-term contractor/full-time employee remote?

I haven't had experience with task based remote jobs. It's been mostly hourly rates offer for mw
Part-time or sometimes full-time though they are mostly rare.

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Patrickyemi: 1:06pm On Apr 18, 2022
Interesting

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by socialmediaman: 1:06pm On Apr 18, 2022
chuksdsilent:

Don't pay anyone shishi (including consultation fee) for recruitment. Even if they carry you go Aso Rock to show you they're legitimate, no true agent collects shishi from a job seeker. Period.

Don't give out unnecessary information like sensitive banking information, even if you don't have shishi in your account. Scams come in different forms these days.

Before you accept a job offer, go to the company's website and read thoroughly about what they do. Also, google the company's name for reviews. If it's a foreign company there's a chance someone may have reviewed them

When you receive an email, always check the signature on the email and ensure it's coming from the real company's domain name

Just to mention a few

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Lordsonn: 1:07pm On Apr 18, 2022
I work as a remote/virtual lecturer for two universities - one in the United States and the other in Europe. All I can say is have at least two well functioning laptops and at least 4G network of two mobile Telecom. Be ready to work both days and nights. I earned about $1700 monthly and I am grateful to God for it. Also, remember to pay your tithes

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by visijo(m): 1:07pm On Apr 18, 2022
If you really think about it, onions forced us to mourn their death.

2 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Eriokanmi: 1:08pm On Apr 18, 2022
Time T, very important. Have you gotten one yet? Health is wealth, just like someone up there had said. Consider your health and catch some sleep when necessary.

Let me help some few youths here for free with some tips. I own a comfortable job yet, I still do a couple of jobs online/remotely, which equally permits me to come here at my leisure to read news and contribute where applicable. Don't copy me please cos I'm always online grin

Now let's go...

1- Get a LinkedIn account. I got 2 of my remote jobs via LinkedIn. LinkedIn sent me these job tips themselves so I knew they were legit.

2- Always type the link to your profile on LinkedIn on Google search and hit it like 4 times daily...it doesn’t cost you anything. This increases your chance of being reached or searched for, by potential employers. If you own a company or business, do the same too. One of the jobs I turned down said they reached me via Google search. Meanwhile my profile was only on LinkedIn. Though i turned down the offer due to the reason best known to me.

3-Some People said Facebook is also a good source of securing a remote job but I've never tried such before and i dont know how. You may just give it a try.

4-Some said they've gotten some reliable remote jobs via clickbank but I've never tried it also. You may give it a try.

5-Always have some tools handy, in case you'd need to update your resume especially when you're not in a position or location where you can scan , edit or print. Look for the following software apps and download for free.

a-Foxitpdf or NitroPdf( for pdf editing, download basic, not pro so they don't charge you, being a fresh applicant who doesn't have money yet)
b-Camscanner( for scanning of documents for free)
c-Ms Office( for updating your resume before scanning to the potential employer)

Good luck guys.

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by davidupdate89: 1:09pm On Apr 18, 2022
When you say defraud, you mean you'll have to pay before you get the job?

No one should pay before getting a job, offline or online

2 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Officialzito: 1:09pm On Apr 18, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin grin

yea

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by BOYS2MEN: 1:10pm On Apr 18, 2022
Simple....don't forget finger batteries...infact it's Essentially needed in a remote business/job... grin

4 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by BigDawsNet: 1:11pm On Apr 18, 2022
Power
Data
Network
Noise pollution

3 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by GloriousGbola: 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
how do you define a remote job?

i and a friend are currently running a small Project Management firm.

mostly we employ on a contract basis

we have probably not met 50% of the team that have worked with us one on one.

90% of communications are by email and whatsapp

when we were interviewing though, one of the team was paranoid. who are you, how did you get my number, etc etc

so obviously you first try to find out as much as you can about the employers. and if their story matches .
weigh your risk. no pain, no gain

you must always have data available - no story i ran out of data
you must always have power for whatever device you are using
you must strive to have a professional mein when dealing with your clients.
dont go joining meeting in danfo and showing your back ground.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by onunwa21(m): 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
Unknown gun men

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Ucpascal(m): 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
To be sincerely speaking in my humble opinion without being sentimental and of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my opinion but rather looking into this serious matter with perspective distinction and without condemning anyone's point of view,I honesty think and believe that I have nothing to say...
Thank you�

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by CsRockefeller(m): 1:13pm On Apr 18, 2022
Need a remote job too.

If you need a Digital Marketer with focus on SEO and SMM kindly send me a DM.

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by moscow007: 1:14pm On Apr 18, 2022
What are the best career paths for remote jobs?

2 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by motionarena: 1:15pm On Apr 18, 2022
Don't take remote Job from Naija na suffer.
Unless a reputable company

2 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by ekaette1621: 1:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lemme ask Tinubu and Atiku ABUBAKAR .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Pelaiye2703(m): 1:19pm On Apr 18, 2022
Nice
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by whyteteeth: 1:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lordsonn:
I work as a remote/virtual lecturer for two universities - one in the United States and the other in Europe. All I can say is have at least two well functioning laptops and at least 4G network of two mobile Telecom. Be ready to work both days and nights. I earned about $1700 monthly and I am grateful to God for it. Also, remember to pay your tithes

What do you teach?
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
chuksdsilent:

That want to defraud people in one way or the other

What should one consider when taking up remote job?
The only way to defraud you is that they will ask you to pay for something. Do not pay. That's it.

Another way they can defraud you is to not pay for the services rendered after you have been employed. Sir, there is no way to know who will pay you and who will not in most cases. What you can do is to stop working for them as soon as you realise they arent going to pay and move on.

Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by olola4(m): 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
I am also available for remote jobs in Social Media Management, Content Writing, Blogging and Graphics Design -

Send me a DM, if you have one for me. Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by CokeBar(f): 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
Read reviews on Trustpilot and/or Glassdoor

In Nigeria what you should really consider when you land a genuine remote job:

Power: I'd advice you get yourself an inverter

Data/Network: You cannot be a remote worker and be turning off data at night o cheesy you need surplus data and great Internet connection... I have a major wired connection and 3 backups

Exercise: yes, you need to make working out your very good friend... with remote jobs, you get to sit in a position for quite a long time... health wise, that isn't good. So run or job 20-30 minutes daily.

Friends: You need to keep/maintain your friends because it can get really really lonely �

Most remote jobs pay in USD, if that's not the case, resign grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lordsonn:
Good.

Chairman, you can raise the pay after sometime. I am sure you will hit $3000 per month and more very soon.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Neighbourhood Corp Job Salary / Post Jobs For Free Here. No Registration Or Sign Up Required. / Has Anyone Applied For Rural Youth Skills Acquisition (RYSA) Program?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.