Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot (3016 Views)

Please I Need Help With This Reactjs Issue - Context Api & RTK (pictures) / What Exactly Are SPAMBOT And PYGURU On Nairaland? ? / Chinedu Daniel (andela Programmer) Creates Chrome Extension For Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 5:14pm On Apr 16, 2022
What are Chrome extensions? depending on what type of user you are, Chrome extensions are simply tools you can use in the Chrome browser for enhanced features. This is a more general way to describe it to basic users. It can do additional things.

However, as a Developer, the more technical answer would be an extension through which Chrome Developers has provided ways to access DOM / BOM and also Native Chrome API. Extensions can simply do things without limit that a client (Document) can't do.

This gives the ability to enhance the content of a website in memory, meaning changes here are not permanent.

This brings me to my next pain point; The Nairaland Anti-spambot. I have been a very serious casual victim of this spambot. I have shared posts and content useful to users only to be blocked by the spambot.

This leaves one at the mercy of the mods, who sometimes can be pretty much very ineffective.

Solution

A simple concept is bypassing the antispam bot, the Anti-spambot works at the backend, and not the client to the best of my knowledge. With the chrome extension, we can simply extend NL to share contents for the programming section, this simply means we will need to install the chrome extension.

What does it mean?

We can easily embed content like Galleries, Videos and images for now.

I will share more concepts around this but here is the goal.

1. Create a Component for each media type
2. Create a text pattern of associating that pattern in a post. e.g Anti-bot sees a pseudo-code like [NLMedia type='gallery' id=xxxxx] and the extension simply does a lookup in the Db component type and renders the content.
3. The extension will allow you to create a Content-type and return the pseudo-code to be changed
4. All data stored in Firebase

I plan to do this in Svelte / Firebase and Chrome extension.

I think the implication of this, is that it gives us autonomous power over how we want NL to be expanded and also it's a concept of how a service can be built on top of an existing platform without fear of code block.

Please share inputs on this thought.

I got hit by the spambot recently again, and this is a pain in the neck for me.

Regards

7 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 10:20pm On Apr 22, 2022
I did some small sketch on my phone for the concept. The underlying architecture is borrowing the same concept from Work. Build a list of widgets and store the data in Firebase.

That way we can do the following:

1. Create a repo of data widgets that can be shared with Nairaland members

2. Introduce ability for users to chat within the extension. I could try and bring a real time chat feature.

The issue is reading NL information, I might have to read from cookies or something. Let me share some UI/UX ideas of what I have in mind for the UI

4 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Millerules(m): 12:07pm On Apr 23, 2022
Interesting! I see this post is few days old. What's the update on this?
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 8:21pm On Apr 23, 2022
I have to take my time to work on it, it is a personal research not paid work. so free time will be used, but once the base is done, I will find a way to host it so others can contribute too.

3 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 9:40pm On Apr 23, 2022
This is cool since it's client based

We can make changes to it

When do u plan starting

And how can others join
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 23, 2022
Chrome extension?

How many people view Nl on pc

1 Like

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by thanksjosh005: 12:37am On Apr 24, 2022
Nice idea. I'm hoping to be part of your project
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 6:08am On Apr 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Chrome extension?

How many people view Nl on pc

It's a Chrome extension project, mobile is not a factor here. The main goal is not to create a tool for users, but to research the idea that an existing platform can be built on another.

2 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 24, 2022
qtguru:

It's a Chrome extension project, mobile is not a factor here. The main goal is not to create a tool for users, but to research the idea that an existing platform can be built on another.

Yes it can

I have already done that lol

It has all the features you mentioned here
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 1:43pm On Apr 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Yes it can

For Chrome extension or Mobile ?
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 2:48pm On Apr 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Yes it can

Wait so how did you handle username and other data since Nairaland has no API exposed ? I don't doubt you, but there's a level of skepticism raised now.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 3:26pm On Apr 24, 2022
qtguru:

Wait so how did you handle username and other data since Nairaland has no API exposed ? I don't doubt you, but there's a level of skepticism raised now.

I used electron to achieve this

No bragging sir but can show u live demo

Can auto post on Nairaland with predefined times

Can save any page as pdf

Can scrap all data's emails, phone numbers etc
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 24, 2022
qtguru:

This is easiest

Nairaland is very easy to add usernames and password just using the class or id or those areas u can achieve this bro.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 3:41pm On Apr 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Can save any page as pdf

Sorry I thought you said mobile app, I get now.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Can save any page as pdf

This can be done with chrome extensions
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 24, 2022
3exe3:

This can be done with chrome extensions

Yes it can
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by airsaylongcome: 9:30pm On Apr 24, 2022
r/woosh
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 12:24pm On Apr 25, 2022
I sketched up something in Figma to show a proof of concept

So assuming someone wants to share a gallery/ Video/ List of Videos / URL Link / Music , she will hit the add and select Gallery, There will be a sidepane that shows configuration for each component selected.

If it has a file: We will push that to firebase and set all files there and the JSON Configuration for the Widget will be stored in firebase against an id that is tied to the user.

It generates a code that will be parsed by the Extension which fetches the attached Id per widget and fetches the data from JSON from firebase and renders for others too see when the extension is enabled.

All the Anti-spambot will see will be a harmless content that makes no sense to it.

Comments and ideas goes here

Community Roadmap

1. Proof of Concept
2. Setup of Firebase
3. Documentation for 3rd Party Developers
4. Form a committee of members to oversee it and manage features for it,

Once it is done and self reliant, my personal last task is to write the research article and share on Twitter. If people keep loving it, then we can expand on more ideas.

2 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 12:57am On Apr 28, 2022
In effect one can share files from gallery
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 3:07pm On Apr 28, 2022
3exe3:
In effect one can share files from gallery

Share Galleries / Videos / Real Time Chat

There are so much widgets I have in mind but for now, the basics, over the weekend, I will work on a sample code

The only issue is, I do not want to use Vanilla JavaScript, na framework dey mind, but not sure which framework to use for Chrome extension

I want something lite, something Component based with less API, Svelte currently sits at the top of my list.

Thanks for taking interest. Hope you will contribute when it is up

1 Like

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 4:24pm On Apr 28, 2022
qtguru:

Share Galleries / Videos / Real Time Chat

There are so much widgets I have in mind but for now, the basics, over the weekend, I will work on a sample code

The only issue is, I do not want to use Vanilla JavaScript, na framework dey mind, but not sure which framework to use for Chrome extension

I want something lite, something Component based with less API, Svelte currently sits at the top of my list.

Thanks for taking interest. Hope you will contribute when it is up

Sure I will

Is your slack group still available
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 4:44pm On Apr 28, 2022
3exe3:

Sure I will

Is your slack group still available

join.slack.com/t/koding-school/shared_invite/zt-16grhxepf-Gws0NyDID7~FZSNKyQAUZQ

Yes but I haven't been active there, but it is.

2 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 5:13pm On Apr 28, 2022
qtguru:

join.slack.com/t/koding-school/shared_invite/zt-16grhxepf-Gws0NyDID7~FZSNKyQAUZQ

Yes but I haven't been active there, but it is.

Just joined
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 12:03pm On Apr 29, 2022
I've gotten a junior dev to work on this project, we will start this weekend, and I will update and also break down the code writing and planning for everyone to see on my blog. It's a blog of this extension development to completion.

Also some small exposure might be coming,

Help

but if anyone creative can think of a good name for the extension and i will credit them. I was going to say NairaExtension but nothing smart comes to mind

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 12:14am On Apr 30, 2022
qtguru:
I've gotten a junior dev to work on this project, we will start this weekend, and I will update and also break down the code writing and planning for everyone to see on my blog. It's a blog of this extension development to completion.

Also some small exposure might be coming,

Help

but if anyone creative can think of a good name for the extension and i will credit them. I was going to say NairaExtension but nothing smart comes to mind

How about Extend or extendit I think it's easy to remember and smooth to say
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 1:01am On Apr 30, 2022
3exe3:

How about Extend or extendit I think it's easy to remember and smooth to say

I have no idea what this means

1 Like

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 1:07am On Apr 30, 2022
qtguru:

I have no idea what this means

Was suggesting list of names for the extension.. you might choose

Extend, extendit
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 2:41am On Apr 30, 2022
3exe3:

Was suggesting list of names for the extension.. you might choose

Extend, extendit

Oh lol I was searching for frameworks. I thought you were recommending a framework and I couldn't see it on Google

1 Like

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Techstar: 4:09pm On Apr 30, 2022
qtguru:
What are Chrome extensions? depending on what type of user you are, Chrome extensions are simply tools you can use in the Chrome browser for enhanced features. This is a more general way to describe it to basic users. It can do additional things.

However, as a Developer, the more technical answer would be an extension through which Chrome Developers has provided ways to access DOM / BOM and also Native Chrome API. Extensions can simply do things without limit that a client (Document) can't do.

This gives the ability to enhance the content of a website in memory, meaning changes here are not permanent.

This brings me to my next pain point; The Nairaland Anti-spambot. I have been a very serious casual victim of this spambot. I have shared posts and content useful to users only to be blocked by the spambot.

This leaves one at the mercy of the mods, who sometimes can be pretty much very ineffective.

Solution

A simple concept is bypassing the antispam bot, the Anti-spambot works at the backend, and not the client to the best of my knowledge. With the chrome extension, we can simply extend NL to share contents for the programming section, this simply means we will need to install the chrome extension.

What does it mean?

We can easily embed content like Galleries, Videos and images for now.

I will share more concepts around this but here is the goal.

1. Create a Component for each media type
2. Create a text pattern of associating that pattern in a post. e.g Anti-bot sees a pseudo-code like [NLMedia type='gallery' id=xxxxx] and the extension simply does a lookup in the Db component type and renders the content.
3. The extension will allow you to create a Content-type and return the pseudo-code to be changed
4. All data stored in Firebase

I plan to do this in Svelte / Firebase and Chrome extension.

I think the implication of this, is that it gives us autonomous power over how we want NL to be expanded and also it's a concept of how a service can be built on top of an existing platform without fear of code block.

Please share inputs on this thought.

I got hit by the spambot recently again, and this is a pain in the neck for me.

Regards

I'm very interested in this project. Do you mind if i join your team?
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 6:02pm On Apr 30, 2022
Techstar:
I'm very interested in this project. Do you mind if i join your team?

Sure as much people are welcome it's a research for me anyway

1 Like

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 12:45pm On May 02, 2022
Just built a chrome extension to generate random jokes
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Biggerbros234: 9:08am On May 03, 2022
qtguru:

Sure as much people are welcome it's a research for me anyway
Hi qtguru, I am also willing to help on the project.
I am currently learning JavaScript.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Journey Into AI / Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript / Is It A Cultural Thing For African Websites To Be Ugly And Unusable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.