Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,679 members, 7,816,781 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

The Blood Covenant: Ratings and Review - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Blood Covenant: Ratings and Review (1476 Views)

Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review / Gangs Of Lagos: Ratings And Review / Blood Sisters: Ratings And Review (Nigerian Movie On Netflix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Blood Covenant: Ratings and Review by safarigirl(f): 10:20pm On Apr 16, 2022
So, I saw this movie a few days ago in the cinema, and I think it's deserving of a movie review. So here goes.

Title: Blood Covenant

Cast:
Tobi Bakre
Uzor Arukwe
Shawn Faqua
Erica Nlewedim
Omowunmi Dada
Ufuoma McDermott
Greg Ojeifo
Alexx Ekubo

Director: Fiyin Gambo

Writer(s): Chiemeka Osuagwu and Naz Onuzo

This movie is an Inkblot Production

Plot:

3 friends who are down on their luck, unwittingly find themselves the recipients of a blood covenant after thwarting an attempted sacrifice. This covenant brings them good luck and helps them make money, but then, they have to keep making sacrifices at different stages of their lives to keep the covenant going, and the sacrifices become more difficult at these different stages.

Review:

Okay, so, I know what's on your mind. ANOTHER RITUAL MOVIE *intense eye roll*. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we are back on that trope, but calm your nerves, this story won't have you shivering under the covers at night, waiting to be whisked away by some ghoulish creature.

Picture this: You go for your secondary school reunion, meet up with an old friend who has amassed wealth of recent. He invites you over, drugs you, attempts to use you as blood sacrifice, but then, there is a scuffle, you pick up a knife and stab him. It's self defence. He's dead...but then, whatever covenant he swore, is passed on to you.

This is what happens to the trio of Jite (Arukwe), Osiano (Faqua) and Eddy (Bakre)

I liked their spin on the idea of blood money. I liked that these men did not actually walk into a ritual situation, they just had the covenant dumped on them unceremoniously, and the consequent events were just a case of "If you don see good life, you go avoid a return to the trenches".

I appreciate this plotline a lot, mostly because for everytime the friends would overcome one requirement, another would come months later. So, even if they had moments they could enjoy the wealth and success, they were never really allowed to get comfortable.

The comedic timing in this movie is impeccable. Even in otherwise scary scenes, someone would drop a funny line and the cinema would grasp onto that bit of humour, effectively dousing the tension. Although it's a drama, the brotherhood between the three men is something to really enjoy. As has become something I now associate with good writing, the use of Nigerian slangs and mannerisms is exciting.

As far as casting goes, everyone brought their A-game, at least all the leads. Tobi Bakre was quite impressive. Although there were 3 male leads, as the movie goes on, it's clear he's the Lead Lead (if such a word exists grin). Playing the role of the one friend with some conscience, he kills it (both literally and figuratively). Faqua's character, Osiano, is perhaps the most enjoyable for me. He's the definition of YOLO in this movie, and his nonchalance is rather interesting to watch.
The female leads didn't get quite as much screentime as the men for obvious reasons, but Nlewedim plays the role of Adaugo rather well. At some point, you may begin to wonder where the women really come in as far as story development goes, but then, they make a banging return. This was Nlewedim's best work post-BBN and Dada is always a pleasure to watch.

Moving on from casting (make we no spend the whole day, because everyone held their own), as far as the setting goes, it was all good. The movie was set in Lagos, but I was so relieved to not see that Eko bridge, long may it continue.

The music, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Whoever infused Odogwu na the Spender and Flavour's Levels to a movie about ritualists must have been in the spirit. Rather apt songs.

What I did not like?

I hate to call out anyone in a decidedly good movie, but the fellow who plays the deputy police officer had some really suspicious acting...but then, we only had to see him a few times, so, it was easy to overlook.

Conclusion:

The movie is a good watch, and it was nice to see ritualism that wasn't woven into a Devil vs. Jesus storyline. These men were deep into occultism and no one thought to bring out a Bible or visit a priest grin.

Rating: 7/10

Definitely worth the watch.

The movie is currently showing on Amazon Prime Video. What are your thoughts and reviews?

1 Like

Re: The Blood Covenant: Ratings and Review by jesse8048(m): 11:17am On Apr 23, 2022
Download link please
Re: The Blood Covenant: Ratings and Review by safarigirl(f): 2:17pm On Jun 26, 2022
This movie is now showing on Amazon Prime

Please, watch it. I promise, it's a good watch

safarigirl:
So, I saw this movie a few days ago in the cinema, and I think it's deserving of a movie review. So here goes.

Title: Blood Covenant

Cast:
Tobi Bakre
Uzor Arukwe
Shawn Faqua
Erica Nlewedim
Omowunmi Dada
Ufuoma McDermott
Greg Ojeifo
Alexx Ekubo

Director: Fiyin Gambo

This movie is an Inkblot Production

Plot:

3 friends who are down on their luck, unwittingly find themselves the recipients of a blood covenant after thwarting an attempted sacrifice. This covenant brings them good luck and helps them make money, but then, they have to keep making sacrifices at different stages of their lives to keep the covenant going, and the sacrifices become more difficult at these different stages.

Review:

Okay, so, I know what's on your mind. ANOTHER RITUAL MOVIE *intense eye roll*. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we are back on that trope, but calm your nerves, this story won't have you shivering under the covers at night, waiting to be whisked away by some ghoulish creature.

Picture this: You go for your secondary school reunion, meet up with an old friend who has amassed wealth of recent. He invites you over, drugs you, attempts to use you as blood sacrifice, but then, there is a scuffle, you pick up a knife and stab him. It's self defence. He's dead...but then, whatever covenant he swore, is passed on to you.

This is what happens to the trio of Jite (Arukwe), Osiano (Faqua) and Eddy (Bakre)

I liked their spin on the idea of blood money. I liked that these men did not actually walk into a ritual situation, they just had the covenant dumped on them unceremoniously, and the consequent events were just a case of "If you don see good life, you go avoid a return to the trenches".

I appreciate this plotline a lot, mostly because for everytime the friends would overcome one requirement, another would come months later. So, even if they had moments they could enjoy the weather and success, they were never really allowed to get comfortable.

The comedic timing in this movie is impeccable. Even in otherwise scary scenes, someone would drop a funny line and the cinema would grasp onto that bit of humour, effectively dousing the tension. Although it's a drama, the brotherhood between the three men is something to really enjoy. As has become something I now associate with good writing, the use of Nigerian slangs and mannerisms is exciting.

As far as casting goes, everyone brought their A-game, at least all the leads. Tobi Bakre was quite impressive. Although there were 3 male leads, as the movie goes on, it's clear he's the Lead Lead (if such a word exists grin). Playing the role of the one friend with some conscience, he kills it (both literally and figuratively). Faqua's character, Osiano, is perhaps the most enjoyable for me. He's the definition of YOLO in this movie, and his nonchalance is rather interesting to watch.
The female leads didn't get quite as much screentime as the men for obvious reasons, but Nlewedim plays the role of Adaugo rather well. At some point, you may begin to wonder where the women really come in as far as story development goes, but then, they make a banging return. This was Nlewedim's best work post-BBN and Dada is always a pleasure to watch.

Moving on from casting (make we no spend the whole day, because everyone held their own), as far as the setting goes, it was all good. The movie was set in Lagos, but I was so relieved to not see that Eko bridge, long may it continue.

The music, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Whoever infused Odogwu na the Spender and Flavour's Levels to a movie about ritualists must have been in the spirit. Rather apt songs.

What I did not like?

I hate to call out anyone in a decidedly good movie, but the fellow who plays Ufuoma's deputy in the police had some really suspicious acting...but then, we only had to see him a few times, so, it was easy to overlook.

Conclusion:

The movie is a good watch, and it was nice to see ritualism that wasn't woven into a Devil vs. Jesus storyline. These men were deep into occultism and no one thought to bring out a Bible or visit a priest grin.

Rating: 7/10

Definitely worth the watch.

The movie is currently showing in cinemas nationwide. If you've seen it, what were your thoughts?

(1) (Reply)

Best T.v Advert Of The Year (locals Only) / African Movie Channel In New Deal With Startimes - Amc Series Launches / CID 14th November 2015 Full Episode Watch Online And Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.