Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,324 members, 7,829,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? (979 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / How many languages are in your state? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Jidasem: 8:29pm On Apr 20, 2022
With the way some languages have children wo don't speak it well or fleuntly and therefore would not be able to pass it on to their children, how many languages do you think are in danger of being dead or maybe creolized? For example there are many dead and dying languages all over the world, from Europe to the Americas, even in Nigeria a language called Ajawa died in favor of Hausa, when the natives choose to speak Hausa instead for socio-economic reasons and therefore didn't pass on the language. Do you think for example some languages are dying in favor of others, with the focus being English. English had killed off several languages in Europe and in the Americas as well.
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by illicit(m): 8:33pm On Apr 20, 2022
Olukumi is dead

Yoruba is dying
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Malory: 8:48pm On Apr 20, 2022
Yoruba language
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Jidasem: 9:19pm On Apr 20, 2022
illicit:
Olukumi is dead

Yoruba is dying

I doubt that Yoruba is one of the strongest languages in Nigeria. The average Yoruba youth speaks Yoruba fluently.

1 Like

Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Jidasem: 9:21pm On Apr 20, 2022
Malory:
Yoruba language

Read my last post and stop trolling. Yoruba isn't even under that category. Yoruba language movie industry is among the most powerful in Africa, the 2nd being Hausa. I want to hear how Ijaw, Ibibio, and those other minority languages are doing.

1 Like

Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by illicit(m): 9:23pm On Apr 20, 2022
Jidasem:

I doubt that Yoruba is one of the strongest languages in Nigeria. The average Yoruba youth speaks Yoruba fluently.

It's dying

An average child can't read or write it

Some don't even speak it

It's becoming something they learn at school now rather than acquired at home
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Jidasem: 9:32pm On Apr 20, 2022
illicit:

It's dying

An average child can't read or write it

Some don't even speak it

It's becoming something they learn at school now rather than acquired at home

So... same with others Nigerian Languages. yoruba doesn't stand out. More people pick up on reading Yoruba easily though, compared to other Nigerian languages and it's in songs and social Media. Plus literacy isn't relevant here, we are talking about speaking, which is the basis of languages, which most people's ancestors mostly knew. So are you saying all Nigerian languages are dying because children hardly read in it?
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by illicit(m): 9:37pm On Apr 20, 2022
Jidasem:

So... same with others Nigerian Languages. yoruba doesn't stand out. More people pick up on reading Yoruba easily though, compared to other Nigerian languages and it's in songs and social Media. Plus literacy isn't relevant here, we are talking about speaking, which is the basis of languages, which most people's ancestors mostly knew. So are you saying all Nigerian languages are dying because children hardly read in it?

Yes

They are not speaking it and not willing t learn it so it will die out when it has no native speaker

Those elders u mentioned were not influenced by another language and nobody reads or write by their time

Now the future generation choses to speak in one other language and neglect their tongue

It's dying

I am a Linguist, even my professors know
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Jidasem: 9:57pm On Apr 20, 2022
illicit:

Yes

They are not speaking it and not willing t learn it so it will die out when it has no native speaker

Those elders u mentioned were not influenced by another language and nobody reads or write by their time

Now the future generation choses to speak in one other language and neglect their tongue

It's dying

I am a Linguist, even my professors know

If you say so. What about cameroonian languages, especially the minorites and the English side and french side? How about other regions of "Francophone" Africa, how do you focus attention on local languages there? Do you know about them? And how do you suggest to prevent Language death for Nigerian languages. The whole of Southern African languages and East African languages have no fear for language death in my opinion. They have found the perfect balance.
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by illicit(m): 9:58pm On Apr 20, 2022
Jidasem:

If you say so. What about cameroonian languages, especially the minorites and the English side and french side? How about other regions of "Francophone" Africa, how do you focus attention on local languages there? Do you know about them? And how do you suggest to prevent Language death for Nigerian languages. The whole of Southerners African languages and East African languages have no fear for language death in my opinion.

What I know is that Yoruba language is dying
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Jidasem: 9:59pm On Apr 20, 2022
illicit:

What I know is that Yoruba language is dying

Are you Yoruba?
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by illicit(m): 10:00pm On Apr 20, 2022
Jidasem:

Are you Yoruba?

Yes
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Jidasem: 10:03pm On Apr 20, 2022
illicit:

Yes

So what do you think is the solution or do you think there is none. Or do you think what the solution will require is difficult.
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by illicit(m): 10:08pm On Apr 20, 2022
Jidasem:

So what do you think is the solution or do you think there is none. Or do you think what the solution will require is difficult.

Language death is normal

Most languages will eventually die

It's becoming a text book language

Latin died too after it gave birth to English, french Spanish etc

Languages can die or evolve

Nothing has to be done but if little can be done then parents have to teach their kids before they learn any other language
Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by bundarina: 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2022
Igbo. The person who said Yoruba is on drugs. I don't know if he is a non Yoruba troll, because there are many, or a super proud and fatalistic Yoruba who thinks Yorubas aren't reading in Yoruba enough as compared to... what group? Anyways. Yoruba is far becoming a dead language, not in a million years, the majority of Yorubas and even plenty none Yorubas speak it, even outside Nigeria. You even have Brazilians speaking Yoruba who are centuries removed or not even having any Yoruba ancestry. Yorubas are proud of their languages while some other groups run away from their languages.

Igbo for example is a language that has been classified as on the verge of dying . You get incidents like Real housewives of Lagos where chioma an igbo is angry at Iyabo for speaking Yoruba to her while dissing (though she is in Yoruba land) but chioma can't speak igbo and responds in English, lamenting. Also languages of minorities like Isoko, some edo, are even spoken less and less.

There was this video on hausa literary culture dying because there are less hausa literature printed and people not reading. Yoruba has more literary and general Yoruba readers. Most Nigerian languages are not typed out as much, but most can read them and understand what's been said lmao, and there are newspapers in Yoruba, and i suppose igbo and hausa. One of the things that stop people from typing out in their native languages in Nigeria online is because of the ethnic diversity and therefore the accusations of "tribalism" if you just for example tweet in a certain language and your target audience is country/world wide.

This is unlike countries with close mutually understandable languages like zulus and xhosa that everyone there speaks or countries with one main language like swahili speaking Kenya, Tanzania; where constantly tweeting in one language isn't an hindrance or can be really side eyed as "tribalism". Though all these are changing online, and there are many hausas and Yorubas who are okay with restricting their own online audience by speaking or writing in their languages. It's all good either style.

1 Like

Re: How Many African Languages Are Becoming Dead Languages? by Armaggedon: 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2022
bundarina:
Igbo. The person who said Yoruba is on drugs. I don't know if he is a non Yoruba troll, because there are many, or a super proud and fatalistic Yoruba who thinks Yorubas aren't reading in Yoruba enough as compared to... what group? Anyways. Yoruba is far becoming a dead language, not in a million years, the majority of Yorubas and even plenty none Yorubas speak it, even outside Nigeria. You even have Brazilians speaking Yoruba who are centuries removed or not even having any Yoruba ancestry. Yorubas are proud of their languages while some other groups run away from their languages.

Igbo for example is a language that has been classified as on the verge of dying . You get incidents like Real housewives of Lagos where chioma an igbo is angry at Iyabo for speaking Yoruba to her while dissing (though she is in Yoruba land) but chioma can't speak igbo and responds in English, lamenting. Also languages of minorities like Isoko, some edo, are even spoken less and less.

There was this video on hausa literary culture dying because there are less hausa literature printed and people not reading. Yoruba has more literary and general Yoruba readers. Most Nigerian languages are not typed out as much, but most can read them and understand what's been said lmao, and there are newspapers in Yoruba, and i suppose igbo and hausa. One of the things that stop people from typing out in their native languages in Nigeria online is because of the ethnic diversity and therefore the accusations of "tribalism" if you just for example tweet in a certain language and your target audience is country/world wide.

This is unlike countries with close mutually understandable languages like zulus and xhosa that everyone there speaks or countries with one main language like swahili speaking Kenya, Tanzania; where constantly tweeting in one language isn't an hindrance or can be really side eyed as "tribalism". Though all these are changing online, and there are many hausas and Yorubas who are okay with restricting their own online audience by speaking or writing in their languages. It's all good either style.
continue living in delusions if it makes you feel good.
Your brother expressed his fears about your language with evidence and you channeled your frustration and obsession on Igbo as usual.

Tufiakwa

(1) (Reply)

Reasons The Benin Ife Relationship Was A Lie Told By Royal Elite / Which Tribe In Nigeria Is The Most Abusive? / Yoruba Vs Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.