Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,245 members, 7,811,690 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. (2015 Views)

The Duties And Functions Of The Best Man At A Nigerian Wedding. / Abuja Bride Cancels Wedding After Finding Out Groom Slept With Bridesmaid / Seventh-Day Adventist Couple Weds Without Reception, Bestman, Chief Bridesmaid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by Timagex(m): 8:44am On Apr 23, 2022
Hello beautiful people! wink Timagex is here again. cool Last week, we demystified the roles and the functions of the best man at Nigerian weddings and I promised to come back with the roles of the chief brides maid/best lady. I am here to fulfill that promise. After all, what is good for the goose is also good for the gander. smiley

My Instagram page is @Timagex_bridal_clicks. Please, show some love. kiss

1 Like

Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by matrix199(m): 8:46am On Apr 23, 2022
What else if not to replace the bride if she develops cold feet.
Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by adeoyekay(m): 8:47am On Apr 23, 2022
Oya na
Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by Timagex(m): 8:49am On Apr 23, 2022
Before we commence, let’s get something straight. There has been misconceptions and confusions about the difference between the ‘maid of honour’ and the ‘chief brides maid’. Some people believe that, both are the same and some believe otherwise. I am here to clear the air. cool The term ‘maid of honour’ can be used interchangeably with the ‘chief brides maid’. Its just context. It’s just English. grin A wedding can contain several ‘brides maid’ but, it can only have ONE ‘chief brides maid’. A wedding can also contain several ‘maids of honour’ but, it can only have one ‘maid of honour’. Although, some traditions interchange ‘maids of honour’ with ‘brides maid’, just know that, the leader is the ‘chief brides maid’ or the ‘maid of honour’ and both are referring to the same person. THE MAID OF HONOUR IS THE CHIEF BRIDESMAID. The ‘chief’ title added to her name means that she is the grand commander of all the brides maids. You gerrit? cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by Timagex(m): 8:56am On Apr 23, 2022
So, moving on, have you been chosen by your ‘bestie’ or your long time friend to be their chief brides maid, I am happy for you. cool Congratulations! While I don’t know if it is your first time or you are a veteran at this, I strongly advice you to stick to the end of this post as a little addition to what you know is not going to hurt anybody. But, the general article is tilted towards the first timers. cool Girl, as the chief brides maid, I want you to know that, it is completely normal to be nervous. cool Guess what? You are not the only nervous individual there. ASWEARUGAWD!! grin grin The bride is nervous, the groom is nervous, the MC gets nervous, even, the photographer gets nervous. It is only the guest eating hot jollof that are not nervous. cheesy And, you are going to do just fine. cool

It should be worthy of note that, the primary duty of the chief bridesmaid is to look after the bride and attend to her needs. That’s all. All other additions are secondary. I have also noticed that, one of the mistakes brides make is that, they just pick the most beautiful of their friends for the duty. NO! The most beautiful might not be the most resourceful. Weddings are complex events, so, please, pick someone who is matured and someone that can deal with pressure. Thank me later. wink

1 Like

Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by Timagex(m): 9:25am On Apr 23, 2022
NOTE: THE ROLE OF THE CHIEF BRIDES’ MAID IS ALMOST THE SAME AS THAT OF THE BEST MAN WITH ONLY A FEW DIFFERENCES. SO, THERE WILL NOT BE UNECCESSARY REPETITION OF POINTS. I will be dropping the link to the thread of my post on the best man here. Please, go through it as both are interwoven. T for thanks. wink

https://www.nairaland.com/7079857/duties-functions-best-man-nigerian

So, brides, what are the qualities you must look for in someone before you can dim them fit to be your chief brides maid? I will give you some ideas....in no particular order....::

1. YOUR CHIEF BRIDES MAID MUST HAVE THE NATURAL TENDENCY TO HELP.
As you know, a wedding event (no matter how small) is always challenging and you are going to need a lot of help. If you pick the chief brides maid based on fine face, sexy figure or the ability to slay, you might be doing yourself a great disservice. Pick an individual that genuinely wants to help.

2. YOUR CHIEF BRIDESMAID MUST HAVE BASIC IDEAS ABOUT PLANNING AND COORDINATION OF ACTIVITIES.
The chief brides maid, most times, is going to plan the bridal shower. She will most likely coordinate the prep time with the makeup artist, hairstylist, e.t.c. She should be able to allocate time to the hair stylist and makeup artist so that the bride can get to the venue of the wedding in good time.

3. YOUR CHIEF BRIDES MAID MUST HAVE A LISTENING EAR.
I photographed a wedding at sango otta, Ogun state around last year. During the prep time, the bride complained that the head gear “gele” was a bit tight and uncomfortable. The best lady was getting her own makeup done at the time and she said that the bride ‘will be fine’. By the time we got to the venue of the traditional wedding, out of discomfort, the bride has already loosened the ‘gele’. The time came for the brides’ entrance and the head gear was completely off. shocked JESUS!! The professional that tied the ‘gele’ was already long gone. cry Nobody in the car knew how to tie ‘gele’ of the earlier style. Some elderly women later helped out but it was not as glamorous like the previous one. The bride was not happy, the groom was not happy and the chief brides maid looked confused. But, I knew where the problem came from. SHE DID NOT TAKE THE 'LITTLE' COMPLAINS OF THE BRIDE SERIOUSLY. If the chief brides maid had a listening ear, then, the issue might have been avoided. Brides, she must have a listening ear o.

4. YOUR CHIEF BRIDES MAID MUST NOT BE CHAOTIC IN NATURE.
The stress of the wedding can get to anybody and such a person can make statements out of anger. Your chief brides maid should NOT be someone that likes ‘killing fire with fire’. The chief bridesmaid must have an attitude that exudes calm and not chaos. You don't want to have someone that is ready to do shouting competition as your chief bridesmaid.

5. A PROUD AND RUDE INDIVIDUAL IS NOT AN OPTION.
It is a known fact that, some chief bridesmaids are out rightly proud and rude. These set of ladies do not like opinions and ideas that are not theirs. As the bride, you should know that, you will be blamed for any misdeed by your maid of honour. Choose carefully.

6. YOUR CHIEF BRIDES MAID MUST BE A PROBLEM SOLVER.
In my almost eight years of photographing weddings, i have not encountered a wedding that does not come with it’s own peculiar challenges. Having a problem solver who can think fast in your corner is an advantage. I tell you.

7. YOUR CHIEF BRIDES MAID MUST BE A WARRIOR. grin
You know, I usually complain that photographers are not always treated right at events. But, there was this particular wedding here in Ibadan, I and my second shooter have already given up hope on getting food after a long and hard job. They said FOOD DON FINISH. sad We were preparing to take our leave when I sighted the chief bridesmaid. I informed her and guess what? cool She entered the 'battle field' and came out triumphantly with a tray containing hot plates of adequately furnished and sophisticated jollof rice! cool I fell in loff immediately. wink cheesy She is a true warrior! cool My point here is, the chief bridesmaid must know how to get things done. cool

NOTE: These points are not exhaustible and I am not saying they are the ultimate criteria's to choosing your maid of honour. But, please, see some qualities in a person before saddling them with the important responsibility.

1 Like

Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by Timagex(m): 9:42am On Apr 23, 2022
Moving on, as the chief bridesmaid, what are your functions?

1. THE CHIEF BRIDES MAID STARTS TO HELP THE BRIDE WITH WEDDING PREPARATONS AS SOON AS SHE IS NOTIFIED OF HER ROLE.

2. SHE COORDINATES AND ORGANISES THE BRIDAL SHOWER.

3. THE BRIDES MAID HELPS THE BRIDE OUT OF THE CAR.

4. THE CHIEF BRIDES MAID HELPS THE BRIDE WITH THE TRAIN. (IF IT IS A LONG TRAIN)

5. THE CHIEF BRIDES MAID HOLDS THE BATTERY POWERED FAN THAT KEEPS THE FACE OF THE BRIDE COOL AGAINST POSSIBLE HEAT.

6. THE CHIEF BRIDESMAID ADJUSTS AND RETOUCHES THE MAKEUP OF THE BRIDE FROM TIME TO TIME.

7. THE CHIEF BRIDES MAID IS IN CHARGE OF THE BRIDES WADEROBE. SHE IS DIRECTLY RESPONSIBEL FOR WHAT THE BRIDE WEARS, HOW SHE WEARS THEM AND WHEN SHE WEARS THEM.

8. THE CHIEF BRIDES MAID MOST TIMES, DRESSES THE LITTLE BRIDE AND PUTS FINISHING TOUCHES TO THE APPEARANCE OF THE BRIDES MAIDS.

cc lalasticlala cc mynd44

1 Like

Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by Timagex(m): 9:53am On Apr 23, 2022
That is it for this week! cool

Past chief bridesmaids can help us to add other points that we missed. cool Thank you for staying till the end. Please, follow our social media pages on instagram @timagex_bridal_clicks and timagex_photography.

What other topics do you feel we should discuss? please, drop your suggestions in the comment section. I remain Timagex, your favourite wedding photographer. cool Thanks for your time. smiley

SEE THESE SHOTS BELOW....I AM STILL TAKING BOOKINGS! cool

1 Like

Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by LustreChris(m): 12:58pm On Apr 27, 2022
Boss, you just dey burst my bubble. Your write-ups are always hits. God bless you. Bless your hustle.
More clicks in Jesus' name.
Well-done, Sir.

1 Like

Re: The Duties And Functions Of The Chief Bridesmaid At A Nigerian Wedding. by Timagex(m): 12:35pm On Aug 08, 2022
LustreChris:
Boss, you just dey burst my bubble. Your write-ups are always hits. God bless you. Bless your hustle.
More clicks in Jesus' name.
Well-done, Sir.
Boss, thanks for the kind words and the prayers. I am so grateful. cool God bless you too.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Download Enenaija 3RD Year Anniversary Song Ft 20 Artist / Plan Ur Wedding/engagement: (A Ring, Makeover,etc): Take A Peep! / Real Money Slots Vs Free Slots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.