Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail (6209 Views)

CBN Says Account Holders Can Access Cash As BVN Deadline Ends Today / ATM Didn't Dispense Cash Bank Claims Otherwise. / GTBank Tries To Force Dollar Mastercard On A Customer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by aloyemeka1: 11:43pm On Jul 08, 2011
[size=14pt]Customer tries to cash bank check, ends up in jail[/size]
Chase issues apology for unfounded suspicions over its own cashier's check

For 28-year-old Ikenna Njoku, what should have been the simple act of cashing a check turned into four days in jail and the loss of his car and job.
A year ago Njoku, a construction worker, had just purchased his first home and qualified for a federal rebate for first-time home buyers on his tax return.
He says he requested to have the rebate deposited directly into his Chase bank account in Auburn, Wash., but when the IRS rebate arrived, he found out that Chase had closed his account because of overdrawn checks. The bank deducted $600 to cover what he owed and mailed Njoku a cashier's check of $8,463.21 to make up the difference.
When Njoku arrived at the bank to cash the Chase check, he says the teller immediately became suspicious.
“When I walked in, the teller looked me up and down and asked if I worked for Chase,” he said. “She asked me questions like where did I get the check from. I sat there for half an hour while they researched the check.”

Ikenna Njoku of Auburn, Wash., says he was mistakenly jailed for four days after he tried to cash a Chase cashier's check at a Chase bank branch. Tha bank has apologized.

Njoku got impatient and said he would run an errand and return.
When he returned the bank was closed, so he says he called Chase's customer service, who told him to return the next day. But when he did, bank officials insisted the check was fake. The police soon arrived to arrest Njoku on forgery charges. Njoku was held in jail four nights, even though Chase called the Auburn police detective handling the case and left a message saying the arrest was a mistake, according to Njoku's lawyer. But it was that detective's day off, so Njoku stayed in jail through the weekend.
"He had two forms of valid ID, a check issued by Chase, he walked in there during normal business hours. I don't see any valid basis for suspicion in the first place," said Felix Luna, Njoku’s lawyer. The Seattle attorney took on Njoku’s case about two months ago. The story was reported this week by KING 5 News.
Njoku, who was born in Seattle and whose family is from Nigeria, says he was extremely embarrassed by the situation.
Njoku’s car, which he drove to the bank the day he was arrested, was towed and ultimately auctioned off because he couldn't pay the impound fees to get it back. Because he needed the car to get to his job, he lost the temporary construction job he had as well. Now Njoku uses his mother's car and gets construction work wherever he can find it.
Luna, who has not yet filed any litigation, said he believes the bank may have violated federal laws prohibiting discrimination in banking transactions based on race or presumed national origin.

Even after admitting its mistake, the bank did not immediately reissue another cashier's check to Njoku or give him the more than $8,000 they were retaining, Luna said. It took about a month before Njoku received the money after the Auburn police department released the original cashier's check to him.
Despite repeated efforts to contact Chase, Njoku and his lawyer said they heard from the bank for the first time this week, more than a year after the June 2010 event. Luna said a Chase lawyer contacted him Wednesday saying he would look into the case and be in touch.
Soon after the story aired on KING 5 news this week, a Chase spokeswoman issued an apology to Njoku, the station reported. That would mark the first and only apology he has received.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43673909/ns/business-local_business/?GT1=43001
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by aloyemeka1: 3:26am On Jul 09, 2011
Somborry needs a good lawyer.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by koruji(m): 3:36am On Jul 09, 2011
Like a slow cooking volcano, racism boils under the surface and pops up with dire consequences every once in a while.

They almost ruined the guys life because of racism/incompetence.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by OAM4J: 3:47am On Jul 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Somborry needs a good lawyer.

A real good lawyer indeed!
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by Nobody: 3:50am On Jul 09, 2011
Just another example of inept americans!
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by aloyemeka1: 3:53am On Jul 09, 2011
lari03:

Just another example of inept americans!

Stop blaming it on Americans. It is the bad name Nigerians created for themselves that is haunting them. Y'all are doing Boko Haram now, when they start searching Nigerians specially at the airports, another person will blame it on "inept" Americans.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by tpia5: 3:55am On Jul 09, 2011
real 419ers would have cashed that check with no problem.

the cashier/staff would be primping and smiling while doing so, after dey toast dem tire.

the efulefu user id, for example, can cheerfully cash a thirty thousand dollar scamming check without raising any alarms.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by jensinmi(m): 7:16am On Jul 09, 2011
I'm quite sorry to say this but This guy may be a dullard o.

HE NEEDS A REAL LAWYER.

1 year later and he is just talking.

Chei shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is America. GET PAID MR. MAN.

People sue for things far less serious than this.

I no be lawyer but I can already say

1. Sue the bank for discrimination

2. Sue the police for wrongful arrest and detention.

At least, you are looking at $25 million here

When the judge adjusts everything. At all, At all na winch $3 million go comot.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by aloyemeka1: 11:20am On Jul 09, 2011
jensinmi:

I'm quite sorry to say this but This guy may be a dullard o.

HE NEEDS A REAL LAWYER.

1 year later and he is just talking.

Chei  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is America. GET PAID MR. MAN.

People sue for things far less serious than this.

I no be lawyer but I can already say

1. Sue the bank for discrimination

2. Sue the police for wrongful arrest and detention.

At least,  you are looking at $25 million here

When the judge adjusts everything.  At all, At all na winch $3 million go comot.

ojukokoro. $25 milla for wetin again?. Na so money dey grow for tree?
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by Desola(f): 11:24am On Jul 09, 2011
i didn't read grin.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 09, 2011
haba A chase bank cheque within chase banking hall and all you can do in this modern age is sniff and call security? Even in Naija it won't go without the customer raining insults on the cashier.
Aloy think of the trauma the victim went through and tell me the cashier went to school in Nigeria and knows very well that the person b4 her was 1.a Nigerian, 2. a con artist.
Are we not talking of the same U.S that bombed Iraq without true evidence? Look ewu is always a goat either scape or free, call a spade a spade, Is it everytime your first impression of a person cuts the true image of the person? If she was racist then she doesn't deserve to be employed in such a position. She and the bank are lucky,asper the guy(this is a classical spiritual attack against his progress)
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by buzugee(m): 4:50pm On Jul 09, 2011
is the guy related to glen big baby davis 
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by buzugee(m): 4:53pm On Jul 09, 2011

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 09, 2011
he will lose this case if he attempts to sue Chase . . . it takes a lot for a bank to resort to closing your account permanently because you consistently cash overdrawn checks. It seems he already had a fraudulent past and the bank was just taking precautions.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by buzugee(m): 4:55pm On Jul 09, 2011
davidylan:

he will lose this case if he attempts to sue Chase . . . it takes a lot for a bank to resort to closing your account permanently because you consistently cash overdrawn checks. It seems he already had a fraudulent past and the bank was just taking precautions.
strong points. they should settle out of court for like $100,000. everyone is a winner. obviously there is a reason why he hasnt sued till date. he probably knows his own chequered past with the bank
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by stagger: 5:43pm On Jul 09, 2011
This is why I hate these f.ucking Americans. They always fly this flag of being God's own country, but they are devil's incarnates. Of all the foreigners I have dealt with, I have found Middle Easterners and Asians to be the most trustworthy. The Americans are worse than pigs.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by stunna2(m): 6:00pm On Jul 09, 2011
, actually i'm sure the Lawyer was waiting for the apology that only just recently came according to the story - an apology that most courts of law will interpret as an admission of guilt on the part of chase!! he can effectively sue now!

The police and the department he works for and The Commissioner of Police for the State and the State itself will all be sued too and a few will stick and he may leave with a few $mills at the end of the day! tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by EzeUche(m): 6:05pm On Jul 09, 2011
He needs to sue!

And he will most likely win.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by bohboh275(m): 6:10pm On Jul 09, 2011
I think this guy is boorish this is a great opportunity for him to be a millionaire and i am sure allot of lawyers are interested in cases like this. He would get nothing less than $20m if he sue them.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by Outstrip(f): 6:43pm On Jul 09, 2011
davidylan:

He will win. they had him locked up on false charges. Also they kept him there all weekend when they could have done more tomake sure he got released immediately. Nobody can ever be punished even if indeed they have previously commited a crime. As a matter of fact a previous issue will not be allowed to be brought up in court. He will win without any problem. As a matter of fact at this point Chase will likely settle for a very good amount
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by manny4life(m): 6:56pm On Jul 09, 2011
Wait a minute, something does not add up,

His account was closed? According to Title 12 of the Uniform Commercial Code of Federal Regulations for Banking and Banking requirements, often called Reg D's if I'm correct, Chase bank had a right to close his account without his consent. Overdrawing your account isn't a crime, obviously you will pay over draft fees (get over draft protection); however, willing and knowingly issuing an overdrawn check is a CRIME. In addition, as courtesy of some banks, when the banks sees that you have a pattern of issuing overdrawn checks, you will be notified via certified mail to stop and then banks will put alerts on your account. There are process followed before it become evident that you are purposely issuing a fraudulent check.

Also keep in mind that the bank waited to close his account after he got a direct deposit; after the deposit it WAS CLOSED. The man doesn't have any business with the bank other than the Bank had a duty to remit the man's money and this was done using a Cashiers Check. The Cashier's Check had the date, his name (payee), the payer (Chase Bank's recon dept), and most checks because they are bank notes issued by the bank, often carry Check ID, and Cashier's Check do carry a "verification toll free no" on it. What the cashier does is upon receipt if the check, verify the ID against the name, I mean perform the verification into the system by run the MICR number into the system to verify the account, you can also call the toll number on the check and reach the dept, they WILL verify the authenticity of the check and give you an authorization code, so that when the check is processed into the system, the AUTH code is entered to allow it for payment.

In my own assessment, they bank CLEARLY CHOSE to discriminate against him, and regardless of whether he issued wrongful check or not is " after the fact" and should be allowed to pay punitive and compensatory damages. As for the police dept, under "normal circumstance" they CANNOT hold you for more than 24hrs without charging you with a crime, and for them to charge you, they must have "probable cause" to do so and overwhelming evidence to support it. Besides, they held him up to 4days? Unless the court authorized this, and he did not have a lawyer to defend him, the police dept should be enjoined in the suit as well if he was to sue. This is his golden chance to be a millionaire, I'm certain that under the UCC of Fed Regs, the statutes of limitations hasn't expired.

IMO, because Chase Bank operates on Federal statutes and laws, I will take my case to a federal court with a Jury; I'll take my chances with the bank.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by rikkyjen(m): 8:52pm On Jul 09, 2011
Its time for him to someone to get PAID big time.

He needs to lawyer up as people here suggested, with a good lawyer, this bro go sue and hit jackpot!
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by bohboh275(m): 9:35pm On Jul 09, 2011
Yes he will get a very good lawyer this is the kind of case allot of lawyers like to deal with. He doesn't even need to have a penny to hire a lawyer all he need is just to have a fair deal with the lawyer once the money is out.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by tpia5: 9:37pm On Jul 09, 2011
i wonder why they didnt just open a new account for him with the check, place a hold on the funds, and release maybe $200-$400 for him to hold on pending check verification.

wonder what's really going on.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by Tyche(m): 9:48pm On Jul 09, 2011
manny4life:

Wait a minute, something does not add up,

His account was closed? According to Title 12 of the Uniform Commercial Code of Federal Regulations for Banking and Banking requirements, often called Reg D's if I'm correct, Chase bank had a right to close his account without his consent. Overdrawing your account isn't a crime, obviously you will pay over draft fees (get over draft protection); however, willing and knowingly issuing an overdrawn check is a CRIME. In addition, as courtesy of some banks, when the banks sees that you have a pattern of issuing overdrawn checks, you will be notified via certified mail to stop and then banks will put alerts on your account. There are process followed before it become evident that you are purposely issuing a fraudulent check.

Also keep in mind that the bank waited to close his account after he got a direct deposit; after the deposit it WAS CLOSED. The man doesn't have any business with the bank other than the Bank had a duty to remit the man's money and this was done using a Cashiers Check. The Cashier's Check had the date, his name (payee), the payer (Chase Bank's recon dept), and most checks because they are bank notes issued by the bank, often carry Check ID, and Cashier's Check do carry a "verification toll free no" on it. What the cashier does is upon receipt if the check, verify the ID against the name, I mean perform the verification into the system by run the MICR number into the system to verify the account, you can also call the toll number on the check and reach the dept, they WILL verify the authenticity of the check and give you an authorization code, so that when the check is processed into the system, the AUTH code is entered to allow it for payment.

In my own assessment, they bank CLEARLY CHOSE to discriminate against him, and regardless of whether he issued wrongful check or not is " after the fact" and should be allowed to pay punitive and compensatory damages. As for the police dept, under "normal circumstance" they CANNOT hold you for more than 24hrs without charging you with a crime, and for them to charge you, they must have "probable cause" to do so and overwhelming evidence to support it. Besides, they held him up to 4days? Unless the court authorized this, and he did not have a lawyer to defend him, the police dept should be enjoined in the suit as well if he was to sue. This is his golden chance to be a millionaire, I'm certain that under the UCC of Fed Regs, the statutes of limitations hasn't expired.

IMO, because Chase Bank operates on Federal statutes and laws, I will take my case to a federal court with a Jury; I'll take my chances with the bank.

U have said everything brother.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by violent(m): 10:28pm On Jul 09, 2011
davidylan:

I don't see how he'd lose in this case.

First:  Several people hate banks and bankers, the chances are always stacked up against them!

Second (Assumed): This is a man with no previous crime history, never been convicted of fraud, conducts his business in a legitimate manner

Third:  This man's life was turned upside down;  He experienced horrible times having to deal with being called fraudulent, was locked up and denied his freedom to movement for several days, lost his job and friends as a result, all for what?  because someone in the bank "thinks" he looked fraudulent?. . . .or more disappointing, because he happened to be Nigerian and was not wearing suit?

I don't see how JP Morgan could come up with an argument that the fellow had overdrawn his account several times in the past. . .chances are the men and women of the jury have probably overdrawn their accounts at one point in time or the other!

I'd say the dude should better jack up the courthouse and shove their egg heads underneath!
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by logica(m): 10:33pm On Jul 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Stop blaming it on Americans. It is the bad name Nigerians created for themselves that is haunting them. Y'all are doing Boko Haram now, when they start searching Nigerians specially at the airports, another person will blame it on "inept" Americans.
And stop talking like you have your head up America's azz. Americans are generally more fraudulent than Nigerians. America is 1st in the list of countries when it comes to fraud. Nigeria is 3rd I believe. So do you see Americans acting with suspicion towards themselves? Tell me where Bernard Madoff is from? Oh I forgot, he's Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by oohunt: 10:36pm On Jul 09, 2011
Why is he sitting around waiting for an apology? Sue their as***!!! Does he not know his rights?
I will question whether he is really an American citizen unless he has a criminal record,
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by hbrednic: 10:37pm On Jul 09, 2011
Njoku was born in seattle,imagine if was born in nigeria  angry
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by Barrywhite8620: 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2011
violent:

I don't see how he'd lose in this case.

First:  Several people hate banks and bankers, the chances are always stacked up against them!

Second (Assumed): This is a man with no previous crime history, never been convicted of fraud, conducts his business in a legitimate manner

Third:  This man's life was turned upside down;  He experienced horrible times having to deal with being called fraudulent, was locked up and denied his freedom to movement for several days, lost his job and friends as a result, all for what?  because someone in the bank "thinks" he looked fraudulent?. . . .or more disappointing, because he happened to be Nigerian and was not wearing suit?

I don't see how JP Morgan could come up with an argument that the fellow had overdrawn his account several times in the past. . .chances are the men and women of the jury have probably overdrawn their accounts at one point in time or the other!

I'd say the dude should better jack up the courthouse and shove their egg heads underneath! 

true talk my dear.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by dinggle: 12:08am On Jul 10, 2011
Wish that was me, the situation will be my winning lottery ticket.
Re: Nigerian Tries To Cash Bank Check, Ends Up In Jail by leuelliot(m): 12:18am On Jul 10, 2011
dinggle:

Wish that was me, the situation will be my winning lottery ticket.

Why would you wish such on your self undecided think of it this way if it were you it could have been worse than a 4 day jail stay

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Run A Profitable Cyber Cafe Business In Nigeria / IGI Insurance Plc -A Company With No Integrity / Profitable Forex Traders Needed For $50,000 Account Books.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.