Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,382 members, 7,819,391 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging (19227 Views)

Man Who Killed Policemen Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Bayelsa (photo) / Nigeria Rental Car Operator Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia(photos) / Man To Die By Hanging Over N14,570 Robbery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by luluosas(m): 5:58pm On Jul 09, 2011
Actress to die by hanging, says S-Court
on JULY 8, 2011 · in NEWS

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
Friday was a sad day for Miss Rabi Ismail, an Hausa actress, as a 7-man panel of Justices of the Supreme Court, okayed her death by hanging.

The embattled actress, who was based in Kano state, was accused of drowning her boyfriend, one Mr. Ibrahim Auwalu alias Zazu, in 2002, after she allegedly administered sedative drugs on him.

The apex court held that having considered the proof of evidence tendered against the accused person by the Kano state Directorate of Public Prosecution, DPP, it found her guilty of culpable homicide punishable with death.

The deceased boyfriend of the actress was said to have lost his consciousness shortly after he finished eating a doped Eclairs sweet handed to him by the accused person.

Following a detailed investigation that was conducted into the matter by various security agencies in the state, the actress was accused of complicity and was subsequently charged to court by the Kano state DPP.

Consequent upon her arraignment and trial before a Kano state High Court in 2002, the accused person was found guilty of culpable homicide contrary to section 221 (b) of the Penal Code and was accordingly sentenced to death by hanging.

Dissatisfied with the verdict of the trial court, Miss Ismail went before the Kaduna Division of the Court of Appeal, pleading it to overturn the death sentence slammed against her.

To her dismay however, the appellate court upheld the decision of the lower court, adding that she should be hanged immediately.
As a last resort, the actress proceeded to the Supreme Court, begging it to save her life.

In its lead judgment prepared by Justice Francis Fedode Tabai, the apex court noted that the accused person failed to place sufficient evidence capable of convincing it that she did not murder her deceased boyfriend on December 25, 2002.

It equally held that having examined the confessional statements of the accused, the depositions of all the witnesses that were called in the matter, as well as records of trial within trial earlier conducted by the lower courts, it did not see any reason to interfere with the decisions of either the trial High Court or the Appellate Court.

Therefore, the 7-man panel of jurists found her guilty as charged and accordingly okayed her death sentence.

Reacting to the judgment, counsel representing the Kano state DPP, Ms. Binta Lawal, said the state was only interested in ensuring that justice was done for both the deceased man and the accused person, stressing that the death sentence handed to Miss Ismail would not be celebrated.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/actress-to-die-by-hanging-says-s-court/

Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by luluosas(m): 6:00pm On Jul 09, 2011
Her colleagues are now begging for her life. Remember, no matter long it may take justice to prevail, your sins will definitely finds you out. Beware!!

Temper justice with mercy, actors beg govt
on JULY 8, 2011 · in NEWS

BY BENJAMIN NJOKU
Following the Supreme Court’s approval of Miss Rabi Ismail’s death sentence in Abuja, Nollywood stars have described the death penalty as ‘ barbaric and outdated” and therefore appealed to the government to temper justice with mercy.

Reacting to the judgment, Mr. Segun Arinze, the president of the Actors Guild of Nigeria(AGN) said, “in this present age, death penalty should be the last option of punishment for anyone who is found guilty of committing a crime that merits death sentence”. He therefore appealed to the federal government to temper justice with mercy.

“ We have passed this age. I sincerely appeal to the government to temper justice with mercy. Rather than sentencing her to death by hanging, they can commute it to life imprisonment. If actually she is guilty of the offence she has been accused of, let her live with it throughout the rest of her life.” Arinze appealed.

Also reacting to the judgment, actress Kate Henshaw-Nuttal described it as “barbaric and unacceptable in this 21st century.” Expressing shock, she muted ,”it’s terrible and I don’t subscribe to it. It’s barbaric in this 21st century. We shouldn’t be asking government to temper mercy with justice. ”

Government should tamper justice with mercy. We are not in the medieval age.”
For AMP president, Paul Obazele who was dumbfounded upon hearing the news, death penalty should be unthinkable.
Rabi Ismaila, an actress based in Kano has been standing trial since 2002, after she allegedly administered sedative drugs on her boyfriend, Mr. Ibrahim Auwalu ailas Zazu. She was sentenced to death in 2005.

Ismail had gone to the Supreme Court, to challenge the judgment of the Court of Appeal Kano Division that convicted and sentenced her to death by hanging.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/temper-justice-with-mercy-actors-beg-govt/
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Outstrip(f): 10:26pm On Jul 09, 2011
What is the evidence against her

1 Like

Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by minotaur(m): 1:47am On Jul 10, 2011
Eclairs sweet!!! how silly! chocolate, especially dark chocolate, contains a lot of substances which can induce a good number of reactions in an individual. Was that particular eclairs or others from the same manufacturing brand examined for possible toxic substances? Where are the results of the investigation? I do not agree with the verdict.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by lastpage: 1:53am On Jul 10, 2011
@Segun Arinze
Following the Supreme Court’s approval of Miss Rabi Ismail’s death sentence  in Abuja, Nollywood stars have described the death penalty  as ‘ barbaric and outdated” and therefore appealed  to the government to temper justice with mercy.

@Kate Henshaw
Also reacting to the judgment, actress Kate Henshaw-Nuttal described it as “barbaric  and unacceptable in this 21st century.” Expressing shock, she muted ,”it’s terrible and I don’t subscribe to it. It’s barbaric  in this 21st century. We shouldn’t  be asking  government to temper mercy with justice. ”

Government should tamper justice with mercy. We  are not in the medieval age.”
For AMP president, Paul Obazele who was dumbfounded upon hearing the news, death penalty should  be unthinkable.

See, No wonder these peeps are not Medical Doctors, Engineers, Computer Scientist, Architects, Actuarial Scientist, e.t.c
They are Nollywood Actors!

I bet this is "civilized in the 21st Century?
The embattled actress, who was based in Kano state, was accused of drowning her boyfriend, one Mr. Ibrahim Auwalu alias Zazu, in 2002, after she allegedly administered sedative drugs on him.
What manner of "animal" would do this to a fellow human, a loved one for that matter! shocked shocked

Even the U.S just hanged a Mexican man who violated and killed 16yr old lady, TWO DAYS AGO
And we did not hear of 21st century barbarism by them or do these Nollywood dropouts stars (lol) have a warped sense of justice and fairness?
mtchw all of you!

BTW: As for evidence against her (examined by at least 3 different courts!), the FOI Bill is now law, just make a request for it and stop expecting the Supreme Court to come "here on NL", to "serve" you evidence! wink
Its not a question of whether "you agree", its a question of whether it is "fair and just"!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Ruq: 2:07am On Jul 10, 2011
:-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by micklplus(m): 2:34am On Jul 10, 2011
Last page, I totally agree with u on this.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by member479760: 2:46am On Jul 10, 2011
if u kill, u will be killed. pls no grammar!

1 Like

Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by obailala(m): 3:18am On Jul 10, 2011
minotaur:

Eclairs sweet!!! how silly! chocolate, especially dark chocolate, contains a lot of substances which can induce a good number of reactions in an individual. Was that particular eclairs or others from the same manufacturing brand examined for possible toxic substances? Where are the results of the investigation? I do not agree with the verdict.
Are u are smarter than the trial High Court the Appellate Court and the 7-man panel of Justices of the Supreme Court? Or do u think this ur arguement is superior to the arguments tendered by her lawyers who fought her case up to the supreme court?

1 Like

Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by ChukaEze: 3:23am On Jul 10, 2011
lastpage:

Even the U.S just hanged a Mexican man who violated and killed 16yr old lady, TWO DAYS AGO stars (lol) have a warped sense of justice and fairness?
mtchw all of you!

Abeg sharap!! bloody liar. The US did not hang anybody. It was lethal injection if someone got executed.

So just because the US executes people means it isn't barbaric? YOu no even get any sense for head. See the kind mumu argument you are making. Small time you go talk say you go school.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by ChukaEze: 3:33am On Jul 10, 2011
obailala:

Are u are smarter than the trial High Court the Appellate Court and the 7-man panel of Justices of the Supreme Court? Or do u think this your arguement is superior to the arguments tendered by her lawyers who fought her case up to the supreme court?

What kind of ignorant nonsense is this? The poster(minotaur) made a valid point, and if you have no answers shut the hell up. DId you hear the arguments made in court? how do you know if the issue raised by the poster was raised in court, or if the defendant's lawyers are even as competent as you seem to be assuming? Una go just dey shout like say una be authority meanwhile una brain be like the place wey chicken dey always go poo-poo
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Outstrip(f): 3:41am On Jul 10, 2011
ChukaEze:

Abeg sharap!! bloody liar. The US did not hang anybody. It was lethal injection if someone got executed.

So just because the US executes people means it isn't barbaric? YOu no even get any sense for head. See the kind mumu argument you are making. Small time you go talk say you go school.

Quite a large number of the American population sees death penalty as barbaric. I am just interested on what evidence they have against her. is it just poisoned candy that they have or is there any other compelling evidence. The guy who was executed in texas bludgeoned a kid to death. There was more than enough evidence there. This case is not so clear. I'd hate to see an innocent person die because people are blood thirsty
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by camaldina(m): 3:48am On Jul 10, 2011
SO ITS ONLY MEN A MURDERER IS PUT TO JUSTICE THAT YOU START SEEING BARBARISM.

SO ITS NOT BARBARIC TOO TO COMMIT A MURDER?

TEXAS STATE JUST IMPLEMENTED A CAPITAL PUNISHMENT ON  A MURDERER, THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, INJECTION OR WHATEVER.

IMAGINE YOU ARE DEPENDENT ON THE MURDERED MAN,  YOU WILL CRY BARBARISM IF THE KILLER IS CONVICTED ?

BARBARISM KO,  MAMARISM NI
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by manny4life(m): 3:51am On Jul 10, 2011
I know a lot of you will hate what I have to say, but I will say it

I 100% SUPPORT the DEATH PENALTY; only on two grounds

A. if the crime committed was a heinous crime particularly those that fall under the protected class such as hate crimes on race or sex or religion

B. The severity of the crime, for instance mutilation of a human body, if I was a U.S. Supreme Court Justice, I will VOTE for the death penalty.

People commit crimes with passion and thus should be punished as such, who ever who lives by the sword will die by the sword. I'm a real life strong advocate of the death penalty, and support states that still enforce such penalty. This ill reduce the number of felons in our penile system, the more dangerous people are removed from the system, the more we are one step closer to safeguarding our system.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by dayokanu(m): 4:03am On Jul 10, 2011
I support the death penalty

1 Like

Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by born2boink(m): 4:16am On Jul 10, 2011
if she killed,then she died,10/10
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by ChukaEze: 4:39am On Jul 10, 2011
I'm Pretty much indifferent. I think sometimes some people deserve death so I don't object to their sentencing, but at the same time Im not so comfortable with using killing as a deterrent for killing. Seems somewhat hypocritical. And then there is the possibility of wrongful convictions leading to execution of innocents.

My issue in previous post was the warped logic the posters were applying and their condescending tone. Anyways, who died and made me boss  grin
Outstrip:

Quite a large number of the American population sees death penalty as barbaric. I am just interested on what evidence they have against her. is it just poisoned candy that they have or is there any other compelling evidence. The guy who was executed in texas bludgeoned a kid to death. There was more than enough evidence there. This case is not so clear. I'd hate to see an innocent person die because people are blood thirsty

Yeah. I share your concern. But it seems they had a confession in this case. Not sure under what conditions it was made though. It also seems that the issue most have with it is the sentence, and not the guilty verdict.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by doublekay: 4:45am On Jul 10, 2011
lets just pray she is not been setup. Cos i doubt the feasibility of sedatin someone then goin 2 drown d person whereas there are 1 million ways to kill one in naija undetected
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Outstrip(f): 4:51am On Jul 10, 2011
ChukaEze:

I'm Pretty much indifferent. I think sometimes some people deserve death so I don't object to their sentencing, but at the same time Im not so comfortable with using killing as a deterrent for killing. Seems somewhat hypocritical. And then there is the possibility of wrongful convictions leading to execution of innocents.

My issue in previous post was the warped logic the posters were applying and their condescending tone. Anyways, who died and made me boss grin
Yeah. I share your concern. But it seems they had a confession in this case. Not sure under what conditions it was made though. It also seems that the issue most have with it is the sentence, and not the guilty verdict.

I totally understand what you are saying. The confession part makes me more concerned. A confession from someone in Nigeria in police custody might as well be treated as no confession at all.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Araboy(m): 4:56am On Jul 10, 2011
I don't believe in death penalty
Nobody in their right mind should kill another person as punishment
I am not saying that it was right for the person to kill anyone also
But I don't believe it should be repeated to them
Executions are symptoms of barbaric and animalistic societies who doesn't look after their people
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Ruq: 5:01am On Jul 10, 2011
Kinda of Harsh penalty at least she sholud do some time say like 60 years then the death penalty
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by dellnet: 5:23am On Jul 10, 2011
In 2002 kano state law is governed by sharia law, so why were they allowed to mingle in a resort without being married? negligence of state? What does the autopsy say?
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by darqly(m): 5:43am On Jul 10, 2011
minotaur:

minotaur, whilst there is the minutest chance this may be possible, i think u need to understand the love that a typical HAUSA man has for confectioneries and just how much Kano has to offer. Chances are that if he'd been allergic, he'd have died ages before meeting the accused- We did eat a helluva lot of sweets in Kano and they're in abundance too.

@chukaeze hurling insults @ other posters is neither germane to the issue being discussed nor does it cement your authority as a bastion of knowledge in the matter. Thats the reason it's a PUBLIC forum- You could instead share what you KNOW in the hope that everyone leaves abit wiser than when they got here-# Just saying
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by koolguy88(m): 6:36am On Jul 10, 2011
temper mercy on her
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Nobody: 6:39am On Jul 10, 2011
I support d death penalty 100%. What is hypocritical there in killing a killer. So we should keep spending resources in caring for a killer. We already do spend resources in unproductive areas.
I personally feel that sentencing someone to life prison term is bull. Just execute n get on with it.
Just imagine some guilty war criminals getting prison sentences when they oiught toi be executed instanta. Spending another millions of dollars to take care of them during the time, including first class health care, one their victims still don't have.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 10, 2011
God is ultimate judge.He u must not kill.both d killer and judge will see wrath of God.death penalty has not reduced crimes worldwide.crime rate is increasing even arab nations where death penalty is common.it is sad some people have sentenced to death wrongly,truth revealed after being sentenced to death.in my opinion,most criminals need psychological and religious rehabilitation.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by eghost247(m): 7:51am On Jul 10, 2011
Trust Me Folks some people deserve the death sentence
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by stagger: 8:43am On Jul 10, 2011
She should be sent to the firing squad!

Women think they can get away with all manner of actions and hide under the cloak of being discriminated and denied equal rights. The other day, someone I know was bathed with acid by his wife during a domestic argument. Tell me, who in his right mind will be asking for leniency for such a person in such cases?
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Gbenge77(m): 9:05am On Jul 10, 2011
Quite sad.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Afam4eva(m): 9:12am On Jul 10, 2011
The Nigerains on this foru$ can be very wicked. 90% of the posters so favours the death penality which makes me worried. Have we lost our human sympathy? In no occasion should death penalty be issued to anybody.It is so antiquated and absurd.Nobody has any right to take another human beings' life.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Rhino5dm: 9:15am On Jul 10, 2011
so many peeps out here are under estimating the capabilities of the kaniwood stars. It alot of wisdom to tame raging envy. A quick reminder of the Maryam Iyana, a pupolar actress saga.

Am totally down with the death sentence verdict returned by the juriest. The issue is when you kill, you have to die!
It is call JUSTICE a deterrant measure for those planning to commit crimes.
Let the hanging be quick and very fast. Next!
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by eridah2007(m): 9:17am On Jul 10, 2011
stagger:

She should be sent to the firing squad!

Women think they can get away with all manner of actions and hide under the cloak of being discriminated and denied equal rights. The other day, someone I know was bathed with acid by his wife during a domestic argument. Tell me, who in his right mind will be asking for leniency for such a person in such cases?
Whaaaaaaat, incroyable!!!!!!!! shocked  shocked lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Police Officers Killed At Bayelsa Police Station By Gunmen / Mother Pours Hot Water On Son In Ogun / Man Who Stole Fish Caught And Beaten Mercilessly (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.