Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block (1466 Views)

What Most Programmers Won't Tell You About Solving Problems At Interviews / The Underrated Question That Is Being Asked In Programming Interviews / Get Free Professional Exams Questions And Answers And Interviews App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:56pm On May 03, 2022
So after leetcode we will still have to prepare for behavioral interviews. Who the Bleep made this shit.

I find this particular kind of interview much more difficult than the technical ones. With technical I can tell if I am going to pass or fail by even looking at the question but with this you never can tell. You can have the interviewer laughing and smiling with you only to fail later.

I have failed two now after clearing the technical interview rounds with 100 percent scores. So annoying

3 Likes

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by emmyN(m): 7:39pm On May 03, 2022
Lol, you see something like "describe a situation where you..."

What if I've never been in that situation? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by JoyousFurnitire(m): 7:51pm On May 03, 2022
Hmm, take heart, learn and move on. You will win
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:52pm On May 03, 2022
emmyN:

So annoying and the most annoying is they already have answer they want to this questions. They can be laughing with you but you are failing the interview. Rubbish.
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by emmyN(m): 8:11pm On May 03, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

So annoying and the most annoying is they already have answer they want to this questions. They can be laughing with you but you are failing the interview. Rubbish.

Yeah, very true. The first time I had to sit a behavioral interview, going by the way the panel were nodding, smiling and feigning interest, I knew they were bullshitting me because me sef know say the story I dey try make up nor gel cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by retiredGamer: 8:13pm On May 03, 2022
Software engineering interview process is absolutely broken, It's a matter of luck and completely dependent on the common sense of the interviewer.

Non-technical people will have you jump these ridiculous hoops like behavioral interviews, while some technical fellows will go straight to asking engineering question but sometimes it's extremely relative to their own experience and habit.

4 Likes

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by RemiAbdulSamad(m): 8:26pm On May 03, 2022
emmyN:

as in ehn
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by Hannania(m): 8:35pm On May 03, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
So after leetcode we will still have to prepare for behavioural interviews. Who the Bleep made this shit.

I find this particular kind of interview much more difficult than the technical ones. With technical, I can tell if I am going to pass or fail by even looking at the question but with this, you never can tell. You can have the interviewer laughing and smiling with you only to fail later.

I have failed two now after clearing the technical interview rounds with 100 per cent scores. So annoying
Try checking the Amazon career site to get a feel of what the behavioural aspect entails. After that, apply it to the company you're interviewing and research well about them.

"Cracking the coding interview" also has a great section on the aspect.

It's a good thing you notice the importance of it. Amazon, for example, places 60% of its assessment on behavioural. Most engineers forget this aspect.

It's the easiest to pass and fail at the same time. That's because you can't fake it. If you aren't a match for the company based on their values, there are no two ways about it.

Most of the recruiters for that stage are trained psychologically. That's why Amazon is perceived to be the easiest FAANG to get into because most of their rating goes to behavioural.

I'm sure you'd find a good fit soon. That's the benefit of startups.

3 Likes

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by airsaylongcome: 9:08pm On May 03, 2022
There's a technique to answer them.

Situation: Set the scene and give the necessary details of your example.
Task: Describe what your responsibility was in that situation.
Action: Explain exactly what steps you took to address it.
Result: Share what outcomes your actions achieved.

STAR Method

And you have to prepare for them. Aced them when I interviewed for a Nigerian company that uses them

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by aumeehn: 8:16am On May 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
So after leetcode we will still have to prepare for behavioral interviews. Who the Bleep made this shit.

I find this particular kind of interview much more difficult than the technical ones. With technical I can tell if I am going to pass or fail by even looking at the question but with this you never can tell. You can have the interviewer laughing and smiling with you only to fail later.

I have failed two now after clearing the technical interview rounds with 100 percent scores. So annoying
hello sir pls i am waiting for your input on your other thread. Pls i will highly appreciate if you will honor me with a reply thanks.
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by LikeAking: 11:40am On May 12, 2022
Op every thing for this life na luck.

KNW dis and knw peace.

Its not by wat u know or dont know.

At least u have a job, save and invest well.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by Laryfrosh: 12:03pm On May 12, 2022
LikeAking:
Op every thing for this life na luck.

KNW dis and knw peace.

Its not by wat u know or dont know.

Good luck.

I will use the word GRACE in place of LUCK... However, in most cases, grace comes to play after the hardwork...
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by LikeAking: 1:32pm On May 12, 2022
Laryfrosh:

I will use the word GRACE in place of LUCK... However, in most cases, grace comes to play after the hardwork...

Grace?

Forget that babe she go fal ya hands.
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by Gentleman001: 6:29pm On May 12, 2022
[quote author=tensazangetsu20 post=112491964]So after leetcode we will still have to prepare for behavioral interviews. Who the Bleep made this shit.

I find this particular kind of interview much more difficult than the technical ones. With technical I can tell if I am going to pass or fail by even looking at the question but with this you never can tell. You can have the interviewer laughing and smiling with u
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by qtguru(m): 7:21pm On May 12, 2022
Sometimes you can be failed because there is someone who fits more, doesn't mean you didn't do well

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by Hannania(m): 10:35pm On May 12, 2022
LikeAking:
Op everything for this life na luck.

KNW dis and know peace.

It's not by what u know or dont know.

Good luck.
Wrong notation. Why is it only in Africa that we emphasize luck all the time? We're meant to grow....e

OP wasn't interested in DSA before now. As he knew that he needed it to get a great job, he started preparing and now he's a step closer. This next hurdle is to understand the behavioural interview. When he does, he would most likely land a job of $80k to $100k, and then the populace that has myopically based their ideology on luck will say he's lucky.

No sir!! Preparations meeting opportunities are what differentiate the high achievers in life from thr common man.

11 Likes

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by LikeAking: 2:22am On May 13, 2022
Hannania:
Wrong notation. Why is it only in Africa that we emphasize luck all the time? We're meant to grow....e

OP wasn't interested in DSA before now. As he knew that he needed it to get a great job, he started preparing and now he's a step closer. This next hurdle is to understand the behavioural interview. When he does, he would most likely land a job of $80k to $100k, and then the populace that has myopically based their ideology on luck will say he's lucky.

No sir!! Preparations meeting opportunities are what differentiate the high achievers in life from thr common man.

Na luck.

1 Like

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by pulsa(m): 9:15pm On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Which sites are you applying on?
Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by fredwill1357(m): 8:39am On Jul 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by qtguru(m): 11:09am On Jul 28, 2022
For Behavioral you have to always give answers that emphasize teamwork, leading, communication and being able to handle stress. Once you get that, then yes you can scale through, if you go into behaviour with an "I" mentality, you will be deemed not a culture fit.

7 Likes

Re: Apparently Technical Interviews Arent Your Only Stumbling Block by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 29, 2022
Boss tensa I read your post about starting programming, you inspire me a lot..

Have started oo but not with laptop sha, I can't afford one for now embarassed, can you share me some materials Boss??

(1) (Reply)

Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? / Page Directive In Asp.net / Please Help! How Do I Open My Visual Basic Program In Visual Studio 2008?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.