Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) (594 Views)

Nigerian Lady Accosted By An Arab Man Over Her Choice Of Clothing In Dubai (vid) / World's Oldest Model Carmen , 91, Poses Topless For Risque Magazine Shoot (pics) / 20 Bizarre Clothing Items That Raise Too Many Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Nobody: 11:15am On May 06, 2022
Fashion section has got to be the right section to be posting this. So, let me drop this here.

Just like the title says, I'm uploading my oldest clothing items on this space, for the sake of memories, and just for the fun of it. I want to believe that some of you equally have some clothes that are several years old, which you just feel like still keeping around, even if you do no use them, and most especially, because of the story behind the items. If that's your situation too, then I guess you can relate to the feeling that I feel. smiley

So, first one on the list (there are only two of them) is the older of the two items, a sleeveless Ralph Lauren winter/autumn jacket.
I got it as a gift from my elder brother who had bought it in the year 2014, back then in Turkey, while on his way to Cyprus.
I've had it ever since then. I've had both male and female complements, courtesy of the jacket's look, whenever I had it on some years back.
The strange thing I did was to use a razor blade to slash open the insides of the jacket to take out as much of the wool paddings, which give the jackets its structure, as well as keeping the cold out.
So, that's eight years on the jacket!

Moving on....The second and final one is a green muffler. The story of this muffler goes like this;
It was a cold winter evening , around 5:30 to 6:00 PM, and I was shivering a few meters away from the central train station at Sanlitun in Beijing. The year was 2015. The month was December.
How can I forget that day and experience in a hurry? Damn! There's no forgetting that day and experience in a hurry! It makes me appreciate the things people do in life that make a difference, however little or large.

So...there I was, hurriedly pacing through the side walks of the street in the Sanlitun bustling area of Beijing, trying to get out of the cold. The air was so cold that night. The air was equally dry. The temperature was somewhere within the ranges of -8 to -11 degrees Celsius. I had just come back into the country from Nigeria, and I was scantily clothed, given that the season requires you to be properly clothed, to ensure your body keeps warm. I had anticipated this, and it had been on my mind all through the flight from Naija to my final destination.
Continuing my story...I walked over to a big mall and got into it. I saw people everywhere. Clothes were not left out too. I made my way up an escalator, shortly arriving on the second floor. I spotted some middle-aged women seated on stools just at the front of their stores. They smiled at me and greeted with the usual, ' hualing hualing! ' You should know what they mean by that.
Google is your friend, anytime.
I responded and immediately began to look around, trying to quickly decide who's store I should first walk into. I soon made my choice and stepped inside.
Now, it's worthy of being mentioned that I had little to no cash on me. The little I had was about 150 RMB. So, I had my Gtb ATM card with me, ready to put it to use. It was firmly secured in the breast pocket of my trenchcoat.

Around that period, there had been an issue with banking the usual way. Nigerians in P.R.C could not withdraw money from their accounts using their ATM cards. It was crazy, we all thought. It made things difficult for many people at the time. President Buhari's government was responsible for this change. What we all heard was that there was illegal dollars flowing in and out of PRC and some other countries which were also affected by this regulation. They didn't even consider the thousands of Nigerian students who would be affected by that development. The so-called change agenda was in motion, sweeping across the land, home and abroad. Tor, we didn't talk! We endured it. I was surprised at the way many Hausa and Fulani students over there had been raining insults on President Buhari (unfortunately, he has to bear the brunt of it ). Everyone was affected. Tongues were wagging.
Anyway, away from all of that and back to the story at the shopping mall.
I eventually selected a few coats and a very vital clothing item we call, " maouku " Some of you may know it. Most may not.
I told them I wanted to pay using my card. I did so, and also requested that she gives me additional cash through my payment. So, i bought a coat of about sixteen thousand naira and had to plead for her to deduct some extra seven thousand naira to enable me have some cash in hand. I needed it. It was a crazy day. The lady gave me the cash and we said our goodbyes. Off to the next store, I went. I needed more cash, so I knew I had to buy more items. cry Items which I didn't even need, but what other choice was I left with? Boy needed money in his pocket to continue his journeying to school.
I got to the final store of the night and made my way inside. ' Hualing hualing ' came flying at me from left to right. There were two women in this store, and they had on matching uniforms (red or orange.I can't really remember)
I feigned a smile, even with my legs shaking from the cold that had penetrated into it. I was suffering but smiling (suffering & smiling like late Fela said) I looked around, made my selection and went over to the payment counter to do the obvious.
When I got to the payment counter, one of the ladies (the older of the two, judging by facial appearance) engaged me in a little chitchat. From that, she got to know about my cash predicament. Then, she offered to withdraw extra cash for me without me having to buy any more winter clothings than I had already paid for. She even called me " son " embarassed kiss
To crown it all up, she looked at the shelf and took out a green muffler and offered it to me as a gift. She said I should use it to protect my neck area from the blizzering cold outside. I was so touched and sober. It felt comforting to be hearing all she was saying, and the kind gesture too. I even blessed her in my mind that very moment (If God did honour my words, that is) I think he would have.
Then, I immediately wrapped this green muffler around my neck and it was comfy. I appreciated her, we bade ourselves farewell and I left, but not before hearing her say that I should take care, and that I might remember her someday, even to the point of visiting again. How " Nigerian-ish " and sweet it sounds, doesn't it? Yes.
Ever since that day, whenever I look at this green muffler, I'm reminded of that woman and that winter night. I can even write a movie script titled ' That Winter Night ' It makes for a good movie title. Of course, I will still have to add more scenes to make it longer. cheesy

That's the end of my story. I hope someone enjoys their reading. wink Always leave a good memory or mark in someone's life. www. NSCDC dazzal! (that's all grin)

1 Like

Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by doctorexcel: 11:31am On May 06, 2022
Small act of kindness matters a lot and a tiny dose of evil will also never be forgotten
Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Mrkcee(m): 12:22pm On May 06, 2022
Great piece.
God Bless the woman for the kindness!

The green muffler really holds great significance for u.
For me, all my all old clothings are gone. I don't really keep them for too long. smiley
Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 06, 2022
doctorexcel:
Small act of kindness matters a lot and a tiny dose of evil will also never be forgotten
Yes oo! You're spot on. Nice way of putting it.
Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 06, 2022
Mrkcee:
Great piece.
God Bless the woman for the kindness!

The green muffler really holds great significance for u.
For me, all my all old clothings are gone. I don't really keep them for too long. smiley
Thank you for taking the time to read through. I appreciate the compliment.
Quite true! You see, I'm even about throwing the Polo jacket away (today or tomorrow ), but you see that green muffler over there in the photo? I'm keeping it for many more years to come.
Lol, oh well...
Some people threw their old clothes away. Others gave them out. Sounds like you restock your wardrobe seasonally...or I may have misanalized your statement smiley

1 Like

Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Mrkcee(m): 12:45pm On May 06, 2022
PaulOtl:

Lol, oh well...
Some people threw their old clothes away. Others gave it out. Sounds like you restock your wardrobe seasonally...or I may have misanalized your statement smiley
Yeah, I give out regularly and I just have this thing of not wanting to keep things I no longer need.
But believe me, if any of my clothings had half the significance & memory as that particular one of yours, I would construct a personal shelve for it, make a space and sample it there for a very long time cheesy
Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 06, 2022
Mrkcee:

Yeah, I give out regularly and I just have this thing of not wanting to keep things I no longer need.
But believe me, if any of my clothings had half the significance & memory as that particular one of yours, I would construct a personal shelve for it, make a space and sample it there for a very long time cheesy
Cool, I must say. Well, I could always use a piece or two whenever you feel like giving them out to people, so that those orphanages around me here could receive periodic gifts of clothes . Round and round, such gestures make the world go. Life!

Hahaha, haba nau! You're giving me ideas on top of the ideas I already had for the muffler. cheesy And it's a great idea. I'm going to keep it till I'm grey.
When i get back to being financially stable, will take a trip back to BJ and I'll definitely visit that mall. I know she may very well no longer be there, but I'll pass that hallway, breathe in the air, as a symbolic gesture, and just smile, whilst looking at where her store is, or used to be, depending on the outcome of the visit. I've always wanted to just see her one more time. Or two more...Or three...Arrgh! How about she and I just become friends already! cheesy An acquaintance.
Thanks man...good memories.
Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Mrkcee(m): 1:05pm On May 06, 2022
Cool, I must say. Well, I could always use a piece or two whenever you feel like giving them out to people
Lol... No o.
By God's grace, we'll have more & be giving out together. cool
I'll pass that hallway, breathe in the air as a symbolic gesture, and just smile, while looking at where her store is or used to be, depending on the outcome of the visit. I've always wanted to just see her one more time. Or two more...Or three...Arrgh! How about she and I just become friends already!
That will be so great. She can't believe her eyes if she sees you (if she's still there), & certainly u'll be better placed then to give her something to remember too.
Best wishes brother. You will excel & go places! smiley
Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 14, 2022
smiley

1 Like

Re: My Oldest Piece Of Clothing Items ( For memories sake) by heatedmall: 11:21am On May 30, 2022
Wearing hand warming gloves for arthritis would automatically keep warm even in heavy cold climatic conditions. Increased hand warmth is helpful for keeping the blood flowing with preventing the hands from getting numb. Anyone can choose our best Savior Heated Gloves and snow deer heated socks for cold weather. We also include electric ski gloves, heated leather gloves, heated riding gloves, and many more products that stand for budget-friendly options.

(1) (Reply)

How To Style Ankara For Office Wear: 30 Elegant Ways – The Fashion Assault Naija / Is It Safe And Normal/appropriate Selling One's Wedding Gown After Use? / Fashion Schools In The East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.