Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:59 AM

Best Way To Measure The Undermount Of A Kitchen Sink - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Best Way To Measure The Undermount Of A Kitchen Sink (382 Views)

Please What Can I Use To Remove Toilet Sink Stains? / What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? / Lady Tried To Turn Off Gas In Her Kitchen. See What Happened Next. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Best Way To Measure The Undermount Of A Kitchen Sink by Healthpal81(f): 9:21am On May 08, 2022
Kitchen sinks require more clearance than other sink types since the kitchen sink is mounted underneath a cabinet and out of reach. The standard undermount depth for most kitchen sinks is 8 to 16 inches. If you want to be sure that your new or existing sink fits, you can measure it yourself.

For measuring the undermount of a kitchen sink, you will need:
1. A measurement tool (tape measure)
2. Ruler
3. Pencil
4. Paper
5. Tape
6. Marker
7. Level
8. Chalk or soap

How to measure undermount kitchen sink
1. Measure the width of your existing sink

2. Measure from the back wall to where you want to begin cutting out a section for the new sink. This is your "true" depth. If the under-sink cabinet space measures 30 inches wide, it will require a 12-inch-deep space for full installation.

3. Measure from the wall to where you want to begin cutting. This is your "front of sink" depth. To complete a no-overlap installation, your new cabinet depth should be 12 inches less than this measurement.

4. If you have an adjacent cabinet on top of the refrigerator or range, measure from its back wall to where you want to begin cutting. This is your "back of sink" depth. The under-sink cabinet space for this adjacent cabinet should be 12 inches less than this measurement in order to provide clearance when opening the kitchen cabinets above it.

5. If you are having difficulty measuring along the floor, place a piece of cardboard or plywood next to the cabinet. Place measuring tape along the top edge of this board and measure between the support beams underneath the flooring. This is your "floor to bottom" depth.

6. Measure from under-sink cabinets to other obstructions, such as pipes, electrical cables or plumbing traps. Some kitchen sink manufacturers have lids that adjust up and down to clear these obstructions.

These are the steps on how to measure undermount kitchen sink

When you done calculating the undermount of a kitchen sink you can now consider the following:

Now you can select a kitchen sink that will fit your existing cabinets, but if your new cabinet design requires different dimensions, you will have to redesign your kitchen cabinets accordingly.

• The most common sizes are 30 or 36 inches in width. The normal cabinet opening is 24 inches, so the main issue is that the kitchen sink has to fit into a much "smaller" space. Because many manufacturers use this same standard for their cabinets and sinks, there should be no issues when you try and measure your current cabinet and countertop.

• If your current setup measures out to 24 x 30, then you're safe to shop for your new sink at any website or retail store that sells undermount kitchen sinks. If your current cabinet is smaller than 24 inches, you might be able to enlarge it by removing the toe-kick or "kick-plate" piece of baseboard trim. The toe kick extends up from the floor to the bottom of the cabinet, so by removing it you are increasing your depth.

• Many people will use a combination of methods to measure their undermount kitchen sinks, depending on what is most easily accessible at the time. For example, you may have an idea of how much clearance there is around pipes or between electrical outlets when cabinets are open. If so, you might choose to measure from the front of the sink depth-first and then find out how much deeper than that the pipes are located.

Other Frequently asked questions:
What size kitchen sink do I need?
Kitchen Sinks come in many different sizes. The best way to determine the correct size of your kitchen sink is by measuring the width, depth and height of your existing cabinet opening.

Will my current cabinet configuration accommodate this type of new faucet or fixture?
In the majority of cases, yes. If you're uncertain, measure from cabinet-to-cabinet and from cabinet-to-countertop to verify that your existing layout will support the sink that you choose.

Can I change out my old faucet with a new one?
Most undermount kitchen sinks can accommodate a new faucet, but you will have to check with your manufacturer for compatibility. Some models require special pipe configurations and may not be compatible with certain faucets.

How many holes are in my sink?
Most kitchen sinks come from the factory with two-bowls and a single drain opening. If your sink has fewer than three drain openings, it is advisable to have a plumber add additional drain holes. This will allow proper drainage and more flexibility in choosing your kitchen faucet.

How do I get my new sink mounted under the countertop?
Most Undermount sinks are installed by two people, one of whom holds the sink in place while another screws it down to the cabinet. This process can be more easily accomplished if you have a second person at the sink location, holding the countertops in place while screws are inserted into each side of the undermount sink.

How do I get rid of water under my new sink?
When installing your new sink, excess water can cause it to shift out of place. One method of reducing this problem is to squeegee all water from the countertop and cabinet before mounting your sink into place, then allowing it to dry thoroughly before fastening it down. Another way to control water drainage is by using a bead of caulk along the base of the sink, as long as it's less than 1/8 of an inch.

Will undermount sinks last as long as top mount sinks?
Undermount kitchen sinks are made with the same type of metal and porcelain finishes as top-mounted models, but undermount "drop in" sinks have a more limited life span. This is because constant opening and closing of cabinet doors will eventually damage the countertop around the sink. Undermount sinks are designed to be installed slightly recessed into the cabinet, with a lip that rests on top of existing counters.

What is the difference between an undermount and a drop-in kitchen sink?
An "undermount" or "self-rimming" kitchen sink fits into a cut-out space beneath the countertop, whereas a "drop-in" sink sits down inside the countertop. Some people prefer a drop-in sink because it gives the countertop a cleaner look, but it also means that repairs and replacement parts take more time to access.

An undermount kitchen sink offers easier installation and better drainage than its drop-in counterpart, as it is held securely in place by screws fastened into metal supports that are installed under your kitchen cabinet. Undermount kitchen sinks are more secure and easier to clean than drop-in models, as there is nothing to catch debris under the countertop. Although an undermount sink sits far out from the countertop, it may interfere with a stove's back splash or a dishwasher's top rack.

What is a cabinet accent grid?
The cabinet accent grid is a set of metal supports that are installed under your kitchen cabinets. These grids support the bottom of the aluminium or stainless-steel sink and keep it from shifting when cabinet doors are opened and closed. They also allow installation to be performed in a single stage, without waiting for the adhesive to dry between attaching the sink and the cabinet.

What's a sink flange?
A sink flange is a metal ring that sits over the countertop, right at the front edge of your kitchen sink. The countertop rests on top of this piece and keeps it in place while also sealing it from water leaks between the rim and your cabinets.

Why do I need a sink flange?
A sink flange keeps your kitchen countertop and cabinets firmly in place and sealed against corrosion. It also helps to distribute the weight of the heavy cast iron or steel sink without putting undue stress on the underside of your countertop material. A properly installed sink flange ensures that water runs away from the area under your countertops.

For more information on the installation of undermount sinks visit: https://ideasforhomerenovations.com/how-to-install-an-undermount-kitchen-sink/

(1) (Reply)

I Need Formats For A Baby Name List / HOG: 3 Sofa Sets That Can Create The Right Ambience In Your Home / What Should I Do In This Case?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.