Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,812 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Please Help! How Do I Start Saving - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help! How Do I Start Saving (980 Views)

Help!!! How Do I Change My Father's Mode Of Dressing. / Please Help: How Do You Find A Mother You Have Never Met / Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 5:41pm On May 12, 2022
Hello nairalanders,

I would appreciate if this post can make a frontpage as i really need advice on this issue.

How it started
After several years of unemployment as an ssce holder, I got a job almost a month ago as a customer service rep, but got sacked the day i resumed due to the fact that i was not able to understand the scope of what the job entails(Relating to ladies hair).

I had to beg the hr of the organisation to make me one of the company's independent delivery agent. This delivery agents are paid daily, so she accepted my request.

Background
I am an ssce holder, i graduated year 2011, ever since then due to not having access to funds, i kept doing ddifferent hustles just to survive. In the process i lost my dad who has also been supportive during those period, i became the bread winner taking care of my mom and siblings, (un)fortunately i had a son also. He has been a source of joy though. So the pressure to provide became more intense.

The problem here
After landing the delivery agent job, i get paid #2,500 per order i deliver, and atleast i get 2(two) orders sometimes. Sometimes 4 or 5 orders, you all know how much that means daily?

I started officially last week monday.

Can u believe since i started, honestly myself i know there have been changes in me financially and mentally. But the problem here is presently i don't have 5k in my account. I tried to do some calculations to know why i haven't saved more because i actually know what i have accumulated since i started but no breakthrough.

So this got me worried.

I spoke to my mom about it, and what she said is nigeria money doesn't have value again, that i have been spending so much and i should give it time. But i don't want to believe that's the issue here.

There's a reason why i am making less. Could it be i am overspending on expenses? Please note that i don't drink nor smoke or womanize.

I need your suggestions and advice on how to overcome this.

Moderators, please kindly help to frontpage
Lalasticlala
Royalboy
Dominique
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by uthlaw: 5:48pm On May 12, 2022
Daily contribution will help you out!

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by garriAndsugar: 5:49pm On May 12, 2022
You can start by keeping 500 aside everyday..reduce your expenses and start increasing the savings.

In no distance time you will notice a difference
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by ojun50(m): 5:58pm On May 12, 2022
Go buy kolo
Any time you return from work drop 1000 inside every day

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 6:01pm On May 12, 2022
uthlaw:
Daily contribution will help you out!
how much do u suggest
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 6:02pm On May 12, 2022
garriAndsugar:
You can start by keeping 500 aside everyday..reduce your expenses and start increasing the savings.

In no distance time you will notice a difference
500 is way low to what i earn though. 1k would be fine

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 6:02pm On May 12, 2022
ojun50:
Go buy kolo
Any time you return from work drop 1000 inside every day
noted boss, thanks
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by uthlaw: 6:09pm On May 12, 2022
Onetenth:
how much do u suggest
depends on your daily income after feeding and transportation!
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by ojun50(m): 7:03pm On May 12, 2022
Onetenth:
noted boss, thanks
Yea
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by VeryWickedMan: 7:15pm On May 12, 2022
You make between N150-250k monthly and you can't save. shocked

The problem here is that you have refused to pay your dues. If you like open 12 kolos, you will still not have two pennies to rub together, trust me.

Every Nigerian transporter knows that in order to succeed in that field you must shed blood or else you will continue to toil in vain. Your bike has not tasted blood yet.

Why do you think Dangote trucks deliberately crush people to death all the time? You think say na play??

Start paying your dues and see the difference.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Richy4(m): 7:24pm On May 12, 2022
Open a bank account...That is the first step..

Since you were paid daily,
<<Draw your weekly budget to determine what your expenses would be.
<< Decide the amount you will be taking to the bank daily and stick to it..
<< I will suggest that you keep #700 or #600 aside since you have dependents...
<<Your goal will not be effective or achievable if u decide to keep larger amount like #1000 aside and any little thing, u go straight to the savings and make a withdrawal.. Just just make up your mind on the amount u will be taking to the bank daily...and do not touch it except on serious emergency.
<< Lastly, hide your ATM Card.. because the temptation to make a withdrawal will be there if you are a shopaholic smiley
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by ibechris(m): 8:41pm On May 12, 2022
Start writing everything u spend down and review them at the end of each month,this would help to pick up the loopholes in your expenses.

I have been doing this for the 6years and it has help me to know where and what to do to avoid unnecessary expenses.

Start and now and stop being emotional about unnecessary demands from friends who now see � u as a means to settle their debts.
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 8:48pm On May 12, 2022
VeryWickedMan:

The problem here is that you have refused to pay your dues. If you like open 12 kolos, you will still not have two pennies to rub together, trust me.

Every Nigerian transporter knows that in order to succeed in that field you must shed blood or else you will continue to toil in vain. Your bike has not tasted blood yet.

Why do you think Dangote trucks deliberately crush people to death all the time? You think say na play??

bro i'm not a rider, i enter bus to go deliver d packages
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 8:49pm On May 12, 2022
Richy4:
Open a bank account...That is the first step..

Since you were paid daily,
<<Draw your weekly budget to determine what your expenses would be.
<< Decide the amount you will be taking to the bank daily and stick to it..
<< I will suggest that you keep #700 or #600 aside since you have dependents...
<<Your goal will not be effective or achievable if u decide to keep larger amount like #1000 aside and any little thing, u go straight to the savings and make a withdrawal.. Just just make up your mind on the amount u will be taking to the bank daily...and do not touch it except on serious emergency.
<< Lastly, hide your ATM Card.. because the temptation to make a withdrawal will be there if you are a shopaholic smiley
this is really eye opening, i learnt a thing or two already. Thanks for ur input
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 8:50pm On May 12, 2022
ibechris:
Start writing everything u spend down and review them at the end of each month,this would help to pick up the loopholes in your expenses.

I have been doing this for the 6years and it has help me to know where and what to do to avoid unnecessary expenses.

Start and now and stop being emotional about unnecessary demands from friends who now see � u as a means to settle their debts.

noted.. i will also work on this
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by VeryWickedMan: 8:50pm On May 12, 2022
Onetenth:
bro i'm not a rider, i enter bus to go deliver d packages

Crush an innocent soul and see the difference.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by ibechris(m): 8:56pm On May 12, 2022
Onetenth:
noted.. i will also work on this

Best of luck.
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Nobody: 12:25am On May 13, 2022
Don't drink garri daily because you want to save.You need beans and bread and constant drinking of water to have energy to deliver goods to your prospective customers.I have been there before.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Day169: 9:13am On May 13, 2022
Go and get the book, "The Richest Man in Babylon", and read it periodically until you imbibe the culture of money consciousness.
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by sisisioge: 10:10am On May 13, 2022
Hmmmm....11years out of school and you're still struggling with understanding your income and expenditure. Oga, biko buy a small note book and start putting down your income and expenses, before long you would have an understanding of how you spend your money, where you can have savings and how to out rightly save. Small conscious steps....but still, na wa for you o.
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 4:43pm On May 13, 2022
Revolution2022:
Don't drink garri daily because you want to save.You need beans and bread and constant drinking of water to have energy to deliver goods to your prospective customers.I have been there before.
noted. Thanks
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 4:45pm On May 13, 2022
sisisioge:
Hmmmm....11years out of school and you're still struggling with understanding your income and expenditure. Oga, biko buy a small note book and start putting down your income and expenses, before long you would have an understanding of how you spend your money, where you can have savings and how to out rightly save. Small conscious steps....but still, na wa for you o.
it is what it is. Thanks
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by socialmediaman: 7:38pm On May 13, 2022
Since you can read and write, start by buying a notebook for recording daily income and expense. It’s best with something like Google spreadsheet, Microsoft excel or another downloadable digital app, but you can also start with a notebook.

Divide every page into 4 vertically with the following headers:

1. Date (date you made income or expense)
2. Description (what was the details of the income or expense e.g took keke to work)
3. Income (enter the amount of it’s an income)
4. Expense (enter the amount if it’s an expense)

At the beginning of a new month, go through your notebook and add up your income and expenses for the previous month, then go through every single item you spent on and decide whether you should continue doing that or not.

Here are a few tips to making a budget:

1. Group your expenses. For instance, transportation, feeding etc.
2. Inside these groups, list the expenses and give a score to each expense (e.g 1 - 3. 1 means the expense must be made, like transportation to work, 2 means the expense is also important but could be limited or reduced, like using Uber instead of public transport or eating at an expensive restaurant, 3 means the expense can be avoided completely or limited, like drinking soda or buying beer for friends as per levels don change

When you do these groupings, list the 1s and allocate their money to them, then the 2s and allocate a fixed money to them based on calculations of how you can save, then allocate a fixed amount to the 3s beyond which you stop them for the month.

Do this month to month, revise and update, and you should be doing much better.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you’re spending more than 50% - 60% of your net income on expenses, you’re probably living above your means, and I suppose you are if you’re taking care of your whole family alone

1 Like

Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 7:43pm On May 13, 2022
socialmediaman:
Since you can read and write, start by buying a notebook for recording daily income and expense. It’s best with something like Google spreadsheet, Microsoft excel or another downloadable digital app, but you can also start with a notebook.

Divide every page into 4 vertically with the following headers:

1. Date (date you made income or expense)
2. Description (what was the details of the income or expense e.g took keke to work)
3. Income (enter the amount of it’s an income)
4. Expense (enter the amount if it’s an expense)

At the beginning of a new month, go through your notebook and add up your income and expenses for the previous month, then go through every single item you spent on and decide whether you should continue doing that or not.

Here are a few tips to making a budget:

1. Group your expenses. For instance, transportation, feeding etc.
2. Inside these groups, list the expenses and give a score to each expense (e.g 1 - 3. 1 means the expense must be made, like transportation to work, 2 means the expense is also important but could be limited or reduced, like using Uber instead of public transport, 3 means the expense can be avoided completely or limited, like drinking soda or buying beer for friends as per levels don change

When you do these groupings, list the 1s and allocate their money to them, then the 2s and allocate a fixed money to them based on calculations of how you can save, then allocate a fixed amount to the 3s beyond which you stop them for the month.

Do this month to month, revise and update, and you should be doing much better.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you’re spending more than 50% - 60% of your net income on expenses, you’re probably living above your means, and I suppose you are if you’re taking care of your whole family alone

wow! This is so enlightening. I will duly work on this
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by frozen70(f): 9:30pm On May 14, 2022
VeryWickedMan:

Who did this to you

Why are you talking nonsense in the name of shedding blood before making fortunes

You are a very bad adviser
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by frozen70(f): 9:34pm On May 14, 2022
Onetenth:
how much do u suggest

It's not easy to save money these days and for you to achieve that, you must be very economical with every penny in your hand

Discipline is the way out to save money now, especially as naira has no value

Start by getting a piggy bank and start saving

I think 1k is enough for you to start with and watch after one month, if you should reduce it to 500, maintain the 1k or increase to 1500
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by Onetenth: 10:33pm On May 14, 2022
frozen70:

It's not easy to save money these days and for you to achieve that, you must be very economical with every penny in your hand

Discipline is the way out to save money now, especially as naira has no value

Start by getting a piggy bank and start saving

I think 1k is enough for you to start with and watch after one month, if you should reduce it to 500, maintain the 1k or increase to 1500
thank u ma, i am definitely following this advise
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by frozen70(f): 12:52am On May 15, 2022
Onetenth:
thank u ma, i am definitely following this advise

You are welcome
Re: Please Help! How Do I Start Saving by nautybride: 2:18am On May 15, 2022
VeryWickedMan:

Jisos shocked you must be joking.

(1) (Reply)

What Are Those Things You Can Never Forgive A Wife For / Your In Mother In Laws Choice? Or Urs? / Dwarf Gets Car, N500,000 From T.b. Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.