Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,869 members, 7,828,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

High Tech Atm Fraud- Be Warned - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / High Tech Atm Fraud- Be Warned (1578 Views)

How Do I Report ATM Fraud To Central Bank Of Nigeria? / EFCC Arrests Syndicate Behind ATM Fraud - Reveals How ATM Cards Are Cloned / Interswitch ATM Fraud Alert! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Tech Atm Fraud- Be Warned by DadLolade(m): 11:47am On Jul 13, 2011
The unconfirmed story below is purported to have happened in Lagos recently…no harm in being careful. some offensive words by the author have masked out.

“I was going to write about something funny this week, but an event which occured yesterday forced my hand into changing the script. Everything you are going to read here is true, and I hope you guys will learn from my experience and not fall victim to fraudsters like a number of people already have, and others unfortunately will continue to be.

Thursday, July 6 2011 was one of those days when 3rd Mainland bridge was inexplicably clogged with cars. I was carless, so my friend picked me up from the office and we proceeded to the mainland. Roughly two hours later, we got to Anthony Village where I reside and I decided to use the ATM machine in the GT Bank branch which is situated near one of the two major bus-stops that service the area. Now, it was around 9.30pm and I didn't think it was fair to make my friend wait so I told her I was going to take a bike home so she left.

On getting to the atm gallery, I noticed that the first of the two machines was 'temporarily out of service' so I used the second one. I noticed that the card slot of the machine I was using had a funny looking receptacle but I shrugged my concerns aside and executed my transaction.

Just as I turned to leave, my 'spidey-sense' started tingling like crazy. I looked at the funny contraption that sat over the card slot with a more critical eye. It blended with the general colour scheme of the machine, I prodded and pulled it, and to my astonishment the thing fell off! I scrutinized it carefully, with no small measure of suspicion, The thing had some funny-looking chips embedded in it, and a port that appeared to connect it to a computer or some other device. Apparently, some motherxxxxxx placed the device there to extract the information on the debit cards of unsuspecting ATM users, which they use to clone their cards and raid their accounts. The fraudsters had blocked the card slot of the other machine with toothpicks to disable it and compel customers to use the machine where they had installed their device. My dad once got hit for 60 grand by some NaughtyPerson scammers who probably used the same methods. His loss was aggravated by the bank's uncooperative stance on the matter. They insisted that he had disclosed his details to a third-party and that they were not liable for any losses he had incurred.

When I was about to turn and leave, two women came into the bank to use the machine. I drew their attention to my discovery and we began searching for a bank security man to report the matter to. For some strange reason, we couldn’t find a single soul on the bank premises. As we stood there contemplating our next move, two shady looking males entered the bank premises. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were the fraudsters. They looked shifty, and eyed us suspiciously when they saw us standing near the machines. One of them asked me if the ATMs were working and I answered in the affirmative. As I answered, the ladies and I walked away and stood in front of the bank building. The fraudsters checked the machine for their ‘oil-well’ and when they couldn’t find it, they walked up to me and asked again, ‘bros, did you say the machine is working well? Shey there is no problem?’ By this time I was pretty irritated and I answered them sharply, ‘yes the machine is working, didn’t you hear me the first time?’

They appeared confused and unsure of the next move to make. They might have suspected that I was with their device but they really didn’t have any proof, especially given the fact that I concealed the device very carefully. They walked back to the ATM bank, and I took the opportunity to leave the banking premises and cross over to the other side of the road where there were a number of people and some illumination. After some two minutes, the two retards gave up their futile search and exited the bank. They walked past me and went into Anthony proper, possibly to go and give a report to their ‘Godfather’. I hope he gutted the two of them like fishes for losing a source of his ‘lau-lau’ money.

I was conscious of the fact that I was in great danger standing beside the road while I waited for a bike to take me home. The fraudsters could have gotten desperate and attacked me with the hope of finding the device on me. The idea of walking home was a non-starter as there were a number of dark places they could ambush me in and do me great harm. After some deep thought, I stopped a bike and asked him to take me home. I made sure I paid him in advance and I kept my eye over my shoulder for the entire duration of the journey. As soon as we got to the entrance gate of the estate where I reside in, I hopped off and darted inside. I trotted home and securely locked the gate behind me…

What the hell do I do with this device? Report the matter to the police who will find a way to implicate me and force me to give them bribes to secure my release; turn it over to the bank where I discovered it so some greedy-xxxxx banker who is up to his teeth in loans converts the device to his use; or do I just destroy it?”

www.chimezieokonkwo..com

Re: High Tech Atm Fraud- Be Warned by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Jul 13, 2011
Mot AMT machines in Nigeria are manned, so we're cool.
Re: High Tech Atm Fraud- Be Warned by civilserva: 7:04am On Jul 16, 2011
Seun:

Mot AMT machines in Nigeria are manned, so we're cool.

What do you mean by that?
Re: High Tech Atm Fraud- Be Warned by fm7070: 9:14pm On Jul 16, 2011
pls. destroy the shit.
although, they have many of it with them, but you're already creating an awareness.
this is a security lapse on the path of the bank.
who knows maybe the bank security personnel are part of the fraud?
God have mercy on us.
This is one major reason I oppose this 150k limit/day. This will leave us with online transaction which will make all customers prone to hacking. Even in advance country, hackers have their way, how much more in a country where more than 90% are computer illiterate.
Re: High Tech Atm Fraud- Be Warned by Godmother(f): 10:30pm On Jul 16, 2011
You were lucky

(1) (Reply)

Do You Shop At Nigerian Online Stores(online Shopping)? / I Run My Business In London And Want To Start A Business In Nigeria / 20k Landed Into My Account From Unknown Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.