Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport (32416 Views)

Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated / If You Haven't Entered Plane At 40, Life Has Passed You - Nigerian Man / In A Plane At 30,000ft & Pilots Are Fighting Like This, What Will You Do?(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by ManirBK: 12:09pm On May 16, 2022
A passenger with no flying experience landed a plane at a Florida airport after the pilot became incapacitated.

(CNN) — "I have no idea how to fly the airplane."

The pilot on his single-engine Cessna 208 had "gone incoherent," the passenger was telling air traffic controllers Tuesday afternoon, according to audio from LiveATC.net.

It was, he stressed, a "serious situation."
Air Traffic Controller Robert Morgan, a certified flight instructor, was on a break when the call came in from the plane, headed out from the Bahamas.

"I rush over there and I walk in and the room is really busy ... and they're like, 'Hey, this pilot's incapacitated. The passengers are flying the plane. They have no flying experience," Morgan told CNN's "New Day" on Wednesday.
"I said, 'Oh boy.'"

Morgan learned the passenger on the line had never flown a plane -- but had been around aviation and seen other pilots fly.

"He was really calm," Morgan said. "He said, 'I don't know how to fly. I don't know how to stop this thing if I do get on the runway.'"
Morgan had never flown this model Cessna. He pulled up a picture of the instrument panel's layout and started guiding his new student step-by-step.

"Try to hold the wings level and see if you can start descending for me. Push forward on the controls and descend at a very slow rate," the air traffic controller can be heard telling the fledgling pilot in LiveATC audio.

"Try to follow the coast either north or southbound. We're trying to locate you."
Morgan made the key decision to guide the aircraft to the area's biggest airport, helping the passenger-turned-pilot position his aircraft 8 miles out from Palm Beach International, "just so he could just have a really big target to aim at."

Together, they got the Cessna to touch down on the runway, footage obtained by CNN affiliate WPBF shows -- something that takes about 20 hours to learn with typical flight instruction.
The landing rated 10-out-of-10, in Morgan's view.

"I felt like I was going to cry then, because I had so much adrenaline built up," Morgan said. "I was really happy that it worked out and that nobody got hurt."

Other pilots were stunned, as another air traffic controller relayed across the airwaves what had just unfolded, other audio captured by LiveATC.net indicates.

"You just witnessed a couple of passengers land that plane," the tower operator can be heard telling an American Airlines pilot waiting to take off for Charlotte, North Carolina.
"Did you say the passengers landed the airplane?" the American Airlines pilot asked. "Oh, my God. Great job," he said.

The condition of the original Cessna pilot, who had a "possible medical issue," was not immediately known, the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement.
After the Cessna's landing, Morgan met his new student, who gave him a big hug and said thank you.

"It was an emotional moment. He said that he just wanted to get home to his pregnant wife," Morgan said. "And that felt even better."
"In my eyes, he was the hero," Morgan said. "I was just doing my job."

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/amp/florida-passenger-lands-plane/index.html

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by ManirBK: 12:10pm On May 16, 2022
incredible

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by awoniyi1236(m): 7:56pm On May 16, 2022
shocked try and error

8 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by julitoch: 7:56pm On May 16, 2022
Kudos
Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by phr0nesis(m): 7:56pm On May 16, 2022
Lucky passengers. Replace that passenger who landed it with moi, and all the passengers would have been with their maker by now

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Abilistic(m): 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
smiley

Sometimes you have to be your own hero

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
Everybody talks about a fast learner little did they know that Morgan compete with the speed of sound and light while learning.

Cheers!

Just a few comments below, you'd see one Nigerian Superman saying it's 'Auto-pilot' while our nigga don forget say an aircraft autopilot (automatic pilot) system controls the aircraft without the pilot directly operating the controls. Such system is developed to reduce the work load of human pilots in order to lessen their fatigue and reduce operation errors during long flights.

4 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Shellsploit: 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
Useless development!

Something wey i dey do every day with British Airways flight simulator

4 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by vincentjk(m): 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
The Pilot asking the passenger if he can truly land a plane if it were Nigerians grin

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
Auto pilot

He simply set auto pilot on

25 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by ISellBeer: 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
Na Benin person

3 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Sultty(m): 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
here in Nigeria we are stoning and burning christians

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by GentleKingdom: 7:57pm On May 16, 2022
I quit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Marcus2(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
God knows how freaked out I would have been if I was a passenger on the plane. shocked

8 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by walyx(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
Reminds me of the movie Turbulence. I think part 2 or 3

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by anochuko01(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
Trr

1 Like

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by gogeor(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
That guy nor be ordinary civilian abeg. He must be an agent.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Nastydroid(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
Not everyone can follow instructions in this manner

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by bbode1(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
Tor.. no try that wan for 9ja here o.

3 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by wizdooarchy3(m): 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
angry
Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by lonelydora: 7:58pm On May 16, 2022
Any smart person can land a plane. Once you squawk (declare emergency), the Air Traffic Controllers (ATCs) take over and tell you what to do.

Yes, it's that easy.

For those saying "autopilot", it is not, please. Even trained pilots rarely land a plane with autopilot.

Read my aviation topics. I have wanted to do more aviation threads but mods are not encouraging me at all.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Ballzproblemm: 7:59pm On May 16, 2022
r
Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by akanbiaa(m): 7:59pm On May 16, 2022
Good
Advantage of playing educative video games like flight simulation games.

5 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 7:59pm On May 16, 2022
Pilot became incapacitated on Air, nothing person no go hear.Stop playing

7 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by greenie77: 7:59pm On May 16, 2022
Wow!
Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by arantess: 7:59pm On May 16, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Auto pilot

He simply set auto pilot on
Auto pilot no go land plane oo

17 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by WibusJaga: 8:00pm On May 16, 2022
Maybe the man get witchcraft flying experience.

1 Like

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Sambab(m): 8:01pm On May 16, 2022
Wonderful of this century
Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by DanseMacabre(m): 8:02pm On May 16, 2022
Hmmm

Me think say this news don first hit FP some days ago abi na old age
Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Daestro2: 8:02pm On May 16, 2022
angry

The people of Allah would have bombed it after shouting 'Allahu Akbar'

14 Likes

Re: A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport by Ceenachi: 8:02pm On May 16, 2022
Trending lies of d year!
So there's no co-pilot in that flight? Or two of them passed out shocked shocked

Story for the gods to be continued ..... cheesy

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Live Pictures From Lagos-Ibadan Railway Construction Site / Two Ghanaians Arrested In Amsterdam For Pounding Fufu In Their Flat On 7th Floor / Why The Free Lagos-Ibadan Train Ride Is Yet To Commence (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.