Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,060 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria (1571 Views)

Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? / How Lucrative Is TIG Welding In Nigeria? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Clinton39(m): 7:47pm On May 18, 2022
My Elder brother is currently studying Marine engineering in one of the state universities. Am just curious about the job prospects and opportunities of Marine engineers in Nigeria.
Everyone's opinion\contribution is welcome.
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Dunkers: 7:48pm On May 18, 2022
A marine vessel for very important project was not long ago sold for 175 million dollars.

I hope this answers your question
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Clinton39(m): 7:58pm On May 18, 2022
Dunkers:
A marine vessel for very important project was not long ago sold for 175 million dollars.

I hope this answers your question
Well..... I appreciate your comment but I kinda meant the salary and benefits the workers earn. But thanks anyway.....and that's a huge sum of money!
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:19am On May 19, 2022
Clinton39:

Well..... I appreciate your comment but I kinda meant the salary and benefits the workers earn. But thanks anyway.....and that's a huge sum of money!

Are you already talking about salaries and benefits when you're not sure of getting a job after graduation?
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Clinton39(m): 1:17pm On May 19, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

Are you already talking about salaries and benefits when you're not sure of getting a job after graduation?
Are you implying that marine engineers search a lot for jobs?
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:43pm On May 19, 2022
It is a good course if you are well connected. If you arent, its not a good course to study. I have a degree in marine engineering.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by BRATISLAVA: 2:41pm On May 19, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
It is a good course if you are well connected. If you arent, its not a good course to study. I have a degree in marine engineering.

You could say that for any course of study.
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:44pm On May 19, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

You could say that for any course of study.

Not so for computer science. If you know how to code very well you can get any job without knowing anybody. I tell younger people to study courses where they don't need to know people to prosper. Unfortunately, with engineering you have to know someone. If you don't know anyone you will be unemployed for so many many years. grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by BRATISLAVA: 2:49pm On May 19, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Not so for computer science. If you know how to code very well you can get any job without knowing anybody. I tell younger people to study courses where they don't need to know people to prosper. Unfortunately, with engineering you have to know someone. If you don't know anyone you will be unemployed for so many many years. grin cheesy grin

Even that computer science will need recommendations for certain jobs. There's no job that doesn't have referrals/recommendations. It makes every job hunting experience smoother.
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:52pm On May 19, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Even that computer science will need recommendations for certain jobs. There's no job that doesn't have referrals/recommendations. It makes every job hunting experience smoother.

Well yeah referrals help but if you can't code shit there's really nothing a referral can do as you still need to pass the coding tests. You have to be good whichever way and me I have never needed a referral to get a job. I am too lazy to get one. Mass applying is my thing

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by BRATISLAVA: 3:02pm On May 19, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Well yeah referrals help but if you can't code shit there's really nothing a referral can do as you still need to pass the coding tests. You have to be good whichever way and me I have never needed a referral to get a job. I am too lazy to get one. Mass applying is my thing

Try that and you will be helping lousy employers do free work or scrape yours. Referrals over all.
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:12pm On May 19, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Try that and you will be helping lousy employers do free work or scrape yours. Referrals over all.

Lol that was just a one time thing. Mass applying is how I have gotten my jobs and I have worked in 3 companies since I started my career. One in Nigeria, one American and I presently work for an Australian company. I didn't need to know anybody.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by The5DME(m): 4:04pm On May 19, 2022
Stop asking silly questions.
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Hannania(m): 6:35pm On May 19, 2022
The5DME:
Stop asking silly questions.
You need to grow up. You keep saying this same thing to almost every commit section you go to.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by The5DME(m): 6:43pm On May 19, 2022
Hannania:
You need to grow up. You keep saying this same thing to almost every commit section you go to.
Yes boss!
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by BRATISLAVA: 7:32pm On May 19, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol that was just a one time thing. Mass applying is how I have gotten my jobs and I have worked in 3 companies since I started my career. One in Nigeria, one American and I presently work for an Australian company. I didn't need to know anybody.

It's good you enjoyed that exercise in futility via mass applications. Especially a mentor kind of figure like yourself. Inspirational.

You can mass apply, but be ready to do mass freebies, too. Which isn't bad if you're trying to stay in shape or perfect skills. I guess with all careers throwing a net in all the waters will also bring back something. We can say that mass applications work for any position.

But if you knew someone, you could reduce that uncertainty.
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:42pm On May 19, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

It's good you enjoyed that exercise in futility via mass applications. Especially a mentor kind of figure like yourself. Inspirational.

You can mass apply, but be ready to do mass freebies, too. Which isn't bad if you're trying to stay in shape or perfect skills. I guess with all careers throwing a net in all the waters will also bring back something. We can say that mass applications work for any position.

But if you knew someone, you could reduce that uncertainty.

It's just me though. I just don't believe in knowing people to get something. I feel it's nepotistic. I could always ask for a referral from colleagues but I just cant bring myself to do it. It means I got that thing cause I knew someone there instead of my own power. Probably when I am a senior or principal, i might be doing that but for now my blood still hot grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:58am On May 21, 2022
Clinton39:

Are you implying that marine engineers search a lot for jobs?

It's difficult to easily get a job in Nigeria with such courses, especially if you insist on practising what you studied.
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Please what school Sir?
As an engineering degree
Did it give you any advantage in picking up coding easily
I'm looking at the possibility of studying marine engineering and still learning how to code
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:29pm On Sep 23, 2022
joshcode:

Please what school Sir?
As an engineering degree
Did it give you any advantage in picking up coding easily
I'm looking at the possibility of studying marine engineering and still learning how to code

You are better off going to study computer science if you havent yet gone to university.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You are better off going to study computer science if you havent yet gone to university.

Thank you sir
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I've been following you Sir for a while now, in programming section, please would love to know your view between
(Nigerian university/polytechnic) Vs uopeople
Which do you advise Sir ?
Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2022
joshcode:

I've been following you Sir for a while now, in programming section, please would love to know your view between
(Nigerian university/polytechnic) Vs uopeople
Which do you advise Sir ?

Go to a Nigerian university.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Marine Engineering As A Course In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:59am On Oct 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Go to a Nigerian university.

Thank you, sir

PLEASE can I know your reason(s)

(1) (Reply)

FREE Info How To Make Money Online – $500 Daily Without Investment / Best HR Joke In The World!!! / Work Life Balance In Standard Chartered And Stanbic Ibtc?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.