Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I (3690 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Songs For July 2013 / Lyrics of Nigerian and Foreign Songs Compared / Songs Better Than Tonto Dike's Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by phatwall: 3:46pm On Jul 16, 2011
HELLO NAIRALANDERS,I WAS IN A MEETING WIT SOME OF MY FELLOW PRODUCERS/MIXING & MASTERING ENGINEERS IN D NAIJA MUSIC INDUSTRY AND WE HAD A FRIENDLY ARGUEMENT ABOUT WETHER D SOUND QUALITY OF NAIJA TRACKS IS AS GOOD AS D FOREIGN ONES(IN D AREA OF MIXING & MASTERING), SO DO U GUYS THINK NAIJA MUSIC SOUNDS AS GOOD AS D FOREIGN ONES(IN TERMS OF CLARITY & BALANCING OF VOCALS 2 A BEAT,ANTI-DISTORTION,FILTERING ETC), B4 U ANSWER I'D LIKE U 2 LISTEN 2 A PROPERLY MIXED NAIJA TRACK THEN LISTEN 2 A FOREIGN TUNE THEN DRAW UR CONCLUSION, LET'S HAVE UR VIEW ON THIS, THANKS.

1 Like

Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by overboard(m): 4:07pm On Jul 16, 2011
Definately Phatwall.
Foreign mixes are usually better and that results in better masters no doubt. It's not all the time though. We have a couple of 9ja engineers that do the job i.e. Foster Zino, Sesan etc.
What we do in Nigeria most of the time is mix extremely hot and then toast, sorry master. We don't even consider tracking properly and when you see those gigantic mixers and consoles in studios, sorry, they are just being used as amplifiers with stereo outs only.
Have you ever tracked all instruments on a song separately into audio? Do you take note of mic placements when recording vocals, Do you even make use of dedicated pre-amps outside the ones built in soundcards and mixers? Do you have at least a -6dB headroom on your master buss when mixing, Do you take advantage of proper uses of de-esser, eq, compressors, delays and reverbs?
After all is done with a mix that is hotter than hell, we usually pass it though T Racks or something like that to do further damage with vocals screaming like tortured demons over instrumentals with clarity of elements.
A good mix (in Nigeria and abroad) would however sound firstly, warm and pleasing to the ear and not cause fatigue with everything in its own sonic space and proper dynamics. After that, the master will give it tonal balance, punch and weight!
Just my thoughts,

2 Likes

Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by phatwall: 2:08pm On Jul 17, 2011
I think it all depends on d individual who handles d engineering.
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by swaggapee: 8:16am On Jul 18, 2011
lol. na u dey ask question , na u dey answer, foreign mix is far better , than most naija mix, except for a few because of the individuals mixing and mastering the joint, most people na trial and error them dey do.
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by phatwall: 2:45pm On Jul 18, 2011
@swaggapee,wat u said seems 2 be d popular opinion around,many conclude dat d foreign mix is better(i think its an inferiority complex thing) but like u and i said,it all depends on d individual handling d job and d experience he has wit sound, i'v heard some yankee songs dat really didnt match up 2 others,and i've heard many naija traks dat have dat world class sound quality, its an individual thing.
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by kennyjodeci(m): 7:37am On Dec 02, 2015
Please how much does it cost to mix and master a song in Nigeria?
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by overboard(m): 8:25am On Dec 02, 2015
kennyjodeci:
Please how much does it cost to mix and master a song in Nigeria?

Anything from N20, 000 - N150, 000! Depends...
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by kennyjodeci(m): 11:51am On Dec 02, 2015
overboard:

Anything from N20, 000 - N150, 000! Depends...

How come our music industry is so expensive like this? 150k ain't that too much? Ok how much you charge to mix and master?

1 Like

Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by overboard(m): 1:35pm On Dec 02, 2015
kennyjodeci:

How come our music industry is so expensive like this? 150k ain't that too much? Ok how much you charge to mix and master?

Toh, the N150, 000 for instance is fee from select few mixers and also depending on client o. I need not name names but I know a couple.

My charges range from N25, 000 (in the box mixing) to N50, 000 (mixing with outboard gear). I need to point out though that even with the quotes stated, it still varies depending on a number of factors.

UPDATE

To be quite frank, the same person mixing isn't really the guy meant to master but na Naija, I can't shout #okbye
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 03, 2015
most 92% of mixing engineers in naija are d same guyz that produced and recorded d artists. while in abroad esp america, no matter how d song sounds like in the arrangement and composition, it is just in the their blood to sent it out for mixing and sometimes a quick reference mix of the same song is sent along with it so as to enable the mixing nerds re-enhance and translate the direction of where d artist or music label want their music to go. and only about 15% per cent of the go-to-mixing engineers with their team apprentices rule the US music industry and they work based on your budget and rung in the music shi*t. this is the trade pattern of the quality consistency repeated in almost all of the songs released dz far.
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by peterg3: 9:53am On Dec 03, 2015
First,this goes to Overboard,mehn i hail u for ur comment!U nailed it.Ok truth be told,mastering starts from ur recording.Alot of Nigerian producers have adopted the 'fix it in the mix' attitude.Believe me,some issues cannot be fixed in the mix.If we take good care wit recordings,it will be better.Also our arrangements sometimes are clumsy,so many elements fighting for space.Simplicity is key.Poor monitoring is also an issue.
Re: Is The Mixing & Mastering(sound Quality) Of Foreign Songs Better Than That Of Nigerian Songs? I by Bunmi021: 4:28pm On Dec 11, 2018
I heard there is a naija guy in Los Angeles who mixes for Nigerians and Americans- pro sound. You guys should check him out. He did some stuff for 2face too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7eycOrrVQA
https://mixingsub.weebly.com/mixing-and-mastering-in-nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Promote On Boomplay At Affordable Price / Video: Wizboy Performing In Malabo Stadium (equatorial Guinea) / Music: Nicki Minaj Ft Skylar Grey – Bed Of Lies (live Preview)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.