Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? (1815 Views)

How Do I Make Money As A Web Developer? / 13 Best Techniques To Earn Money As A Web Developer In 2021 / How Can I Make Payment For Any Udemy Course With My Credit Card? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 10:59am On May 28, 2022
Hi guys, I'm a self taught Frontend developer and I need tips on ways I can monetize this skill. I am proficient with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, NextJS and Tailwind.

My initial plan when I started learning to code was to make money with freelancing. I'm approaching a year on upwork and I have not made one dollar. I also tried fiverr with no luck. I recently started applying for frontend roles at companies but I also have no luck with those. I keep getting rejection emails regularly.

I would like advice on how I can make money with this skill. I'm a student and i've invested a lot of time and money into learning this. This situation is becoming very frustrating.

Please give me tips on how I can earn some money with this skill.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by thanksjosh005: 12:46pm On May 28, 2022
Recalibrate your mindset. Shift your focus to reach another paradigm. You're having what I call a NFS (Narrowed Focus Syndrome). Your focus is tapered so that you can't discover opportunities and the abilities you have.

On the contrary, no person can be passionate about programming and not have the personal resource ( ideas) to creating wealth

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:04pm On May 28, 2022
Can you post your resume?
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by Hannania(m): 1:59pm On May 28, 2022
CapedBaldy:
Hi guys, I'm a self taught Frontend developer and I need tips on ways I can monetize this skill. I am proficient with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, NextJS and Tailwind.

My initial plan when I started learning to code was to make money with freelancing. I'm approaching a year on upwork and I have not made one dollar. I also tried fiverr with no luck. I recently started applying for frontend roles at companies but I also have no luck with those. I keep getting rejection emails regularly.

I would like advice on how I can make money with this skill. I'm a student and i've invested a lot of time and money into learning this. This situation is becoming very frustrating.

First post your portfolio let's help you review it.

Secondly, When you do all the edits, go on LinkedIn and filter the search query under jobs to:
1. REMOTE
2. Poland, MEXICO, Columbia, and EMEA nations in general
3. Remote junior dev role
4. Be technology specific

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by jesmond3945: 2:13pm On May 28, 2022
CapedBaldy:

the hr software screens you out. Do you have portfolio?
Try and get commercial experience. Offer your skill for free to get experience, build app for people, polish your cv, say how your apps has generated money for companies or solved problems, quantify it. Oyibo like quantifying achievement

1 Like

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 6:37pm On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
I will
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 6:41pm On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
h
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 6:42pm On May 28, 2022
Hannania:
First post your portfolio let's help you review it.

Secondly, When you do all the edits, go on LinkedIn and filter the search query under jobs to:
1. REMOTE
2. Poland, MEXICO, Columbia, and EMEA nations in general
3. Remote junior dev role
4. Be technology specific

That's my resume. There's a link to my portfolio website there
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:49pm On May 28, 2022
CapedBaldy:

Its not bad honestly get rid of that orange stuff. It should just be black and white. Remove the junior in your bio. You are a developer. Also, add some experience. Places you worked in your post even if it wasn't a development job say you were a developer.

Also, where are you applying? Include Nigeria in the list of countries you are applying to its actually easy to get a junior dev role in Nigeria if you are competent and your projects are really good. If you are targeting remote roles, target places like Mexico, South American countries, poorer European countries, and Asian countries like Japan and South Korea.

Also you can do everything right and nothing. Like I always tell people its a numbers game. Set a target today to apply to at least 10 jobs everyday. You also need to start getting yourself ready for interviewing. Start doing easy leetcode questions. As a junior, opportunities are hard to come by and once you get an opportunity, you should be able to smash it. If you are looking for things to learn, learn wordpress and learn shopify as those are very important on upwork and can help you earn money.

Just keep on applying.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 7:25pm On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Its not bad honestly get rid of that orange stuff. It should just be black and white. Remove the junior in your bio. You are a developer. Also, add some experience. Places you worked in your post even if it wasn't a development job say you were a developer.

Also, where are you applying? Include Nigeria in the list of countries you are applying to its actually easy to get a junior dev role in Nigeria if you are competent and your projects are really good. If you are targeting remote roles, target places like Mexico, South American countries, poorer European countries, and Asian countries like Japan and South Korea.

Also you can do everything right and nothing. Like I always tell people its a numbers game. Set a target today to apply to at least 10 jobs everyday. You also need to start getting yourself ready for interviewing. Start doing easy leetcode questions. As a junior, opportunities are hard to come by and once you get an opportunity, you should be able to smash it. If you are looking for things to learn, learn wordpress and learn shopify as those are very important on upwork and can help you earn money.

Just keep on applying.

Thanks I'll do this
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 7:28pm On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Just keep on applying.
I mostly see senior roles or fullstack for Nigerian companies. Perhaps I'm not searching well. I think my projects are decent.

progress-aienobe.netlify.app

I'll start working on leetcode questions too
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by Guderian(m): 7:48pm On May 28, 2022
Sorry but where do you stay?
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:13pm On May 28, 2022
CapedBaldy:

I mostly see senior roles or fullstack for Nigerian companies. Perhaps I'm not searching well. I think my projects are decent.

progress-aienobe.netlify.app

I'll start working on leetcode questions too

Your projects are okay. Also apply to those senior roles. Highest you will get is a rejection mail shilkena.
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by Hannania(m): 8:19pm On May 28, 2022
CapedBaldy:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l8vZn1PRZvSyCBkvdn5Jg8APmiP-UCnkLgmeR8lKBQI/edit?usp=drivesdk

That's my resume. There's a link to my portfolio website there
Download IntelligentCV on the play store and follow the template. Your CV structure doesn't look "Globally Competitive". Search a portfolio of Software engineers on Linkedin and see how it is.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 8:56pm On May 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Your projects are okay. Also apply to those senior roles. Highest you will get is a rejection mail shilkena.

Alright thanks for replying me. You've been very helpful
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 8:56pm On May 28, 2022
Hannania:
Download IntelligentCV on the play store and follow the template. Your CV structure doesn't look "Globally Competitive". Search a portfolio of Software engineers on Linkedin and see how it is.

Thanks I'll do this
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by jesmond3945: 9:13pm On May 28, 2022
Remove the self taught and the frontendmentor on your cv. Remove the apps you have done. Rather write what you can do and quantify your achievement. For example you designed an app which saved 20 naira for company abc.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by LikeAking: 3:40am On May 29, 2022
CapedBaldy:

I have a feeling that upwork dey intentionally dull person, or dia are no jobs dia.
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by realunclej(m): 10:53am On May 29, 2022
Work on your portfolio and make it your selling point. You can follow my thread on tips for fullstack developer, you can learn a thing or two. Visit: https://www.nairaland.com/7150801/discussion-thread-best-learning-path

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 11:27am On May 29, 2022
LikeAking:

I have a feeling that upwork dey intentionally dull person, or dia are no jobs dia.

I see jobs and I make proposals but I never get picked
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by chim14(m): 6:57am On May 30, 2022
Naijas still asking stupid questions when you have Google & Youtube.
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by JsScript: 10:55am On May 31, 2022
CapedBaldy:

Hi, I'm also a newbie like u, can we chat on WhatsApp
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 7:54pm On May 31, 2022
JsScript:

Hi, I'm also a newbie like u, can we chat on WhatsApp
Ok. Send me a mail
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 8:13pm On May 31, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Just keep on applying.

Please help me remove the link from this quote. I wanna remove my details from this thread
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 8:14pm On May 31, 2022
Hannania:

Please help me remove the link from this quote. I wanna remove my details from this thread
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by CapedBaldy: 6:01pm On Jun 03, 2022
Hannania:

Good evening. Please clear the link to my resume from your post. I wanna remain anonymous here. Thanks
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by specialofficer: 9:41pm On Jun 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Good day sir, sir please can you recommend anywhere in Lagos go to learn programming from scratch? Or if you know any school.

God bless you as you reply me boss
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:51pm On Jun 08, 2022
specialofficer:
Good day sir, sir please can you recommend anywhere in Lagos go to learn programming from scratch? Or if you know any school.

God bless you as you reply me boss

I cant recommend any school. I learned on my own using udemy courses.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by specialofficer: 9:53pm On Jun 08, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

that's nice but for a newbie like me what courses should I start from?

What type of laptop will you recommend I start with? Thanks once more for the reply
Re: How Can I Make Money As A Web Developer? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 11, 2022
Please we're these Udemy courses free or paid?
tensazangetsu20:

(1) (Reply)

Programmers In The House, Pls Come To My Rescue / Get 2015 Ethical Hacking Ebooks / Download The Latest Version Of Perl !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.