Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:44 AM

Do Writers Realize That It's A Duty That Comeswith Their Title To Banish Cliches - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Writers Realize That It's A Duty That Comeswith Their Title To Banish Cliches (905 Views)

What Do Writers Do When They Are Not Writing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Writers Realize That It's A Duty That Comeswith Their Title To Banish Cliches by Iwerebor(m): 7:36pm On Aug 09, 2007
Sometimes, it's not only Asian goods that ENJOY mass production. Cliches do! and lying cliches for that matter.
It's very common in Nigeria to hear this phrase
"every disappointment is a blessing" being offered as a balm to calm an upset mind.
I have never used those words but the few times they have been used AGAINST me, my pain has deepened!
It took me years to realize that it's not easy to fight the cliche's except you employ something equally powerful yet beautiful to match it.
ART! the very word sounds like LIGHT!
Is EVERY disappointment a blessing? NO!
But EVERY disappointment is a LESSON! isn't this true and lovely?
Let's talk about the cliches and how we can open the eyes of society to their lying content through our artistic skills.
Re: Do Writers Realize That It's A Duty That Comeswith Their Title To Banish Cliches by Rapsody(m): 10:08pm On Aug 11, 2007
"E go better" Argghhh, If i threw up each time i heard dat hackneyed phrase,i wud be a hopeless hypocondriac by nw.A vague line used by cowed pple who take refuge in stoic self-immolatn instead of pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps and making life better 4 themselves.
Re: Do Writers Realize That It's A Duty That Comeswith Their Title To Banish Cliches by Orikinla(m): 4:05pm On Aug 12, 2007
Iwerebor:

Sometimes, it's not only Asian goods that ENJOY mass production. Cliches do! and lying cliches for that matter.
It's very common in Nigeria to hear this phrase
"every disappointment is a blessing" being offered as a balm to calm an upset mind.
I have never used those words but the few times they have been used AGAINST me, my pain has deepened!
It took me years to realize that it's not easy to fight the cliche's except you employ something equally powerful yet beautiful to match it.
ART! the very word sounds like LIGHT!
Is EVERY disappointment a blessing? NO!
But EVERY disappointment is a LESSON! isn't this true and lovely?
Let's talk about the cliches and how we can open the eyes of society to their lying content through our artistic skills.

Iwerebor,
Are you from Edo state?

Why not compile all these particular cliches you have noted and as you have already done, continue to give them positive interpretations or analogies and if you can produce up to 100 pages, you can publish the book. Or submit the compilation to me and I will publish it.
You can send it to my Nigerian or American office.

The book will make a good companion for every literate person in Nigeria and other countries.

You can reach me officially via e-mail.

publisher@nigeriantimesinternational.com
Re: Do Writers Realize That It's A Duty That Comeswith Their Title To Banish Cliches by Iwerebor(m): 9:43am On Aug 13, 2007
Posted by: Rapsody
Insert Quote
"E go better" Argghhh, If i threw up each time i heard that hackneyed phrase,i would be a hopeless hypocondriac by nw.A vague line used by cowed people who take refuge in stoic self-immolatn instead of pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps and making life better 4 themselves.

Well, Rhapsody, I think "e go better" is incomparably better than "e no go better" which has the ring of a curse.

@Orinkinla.
No, I am not but close. Where I am from is responsible for providing wealth for the irresponsible. We OIL the wheel of the Nigerian economy. I hear just being us qualifies you to refugee status in foreign lands.
I am happy you have links to publishing. You could be useful someday to me. God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

Despirate Hustler (is There Anyone Who Can Assist In Writting This Script? / Zazugist.com For News, Stories And Opinions In Pidgin English! / The Love For Book Titles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.