Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? (651 Views)

How Do I Create My Own App Without The Knowledge Of Programming? / I Need This Type Of Basic App / Please Help With This QBASIC Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Basorgking(m): 8:10pm On Jun 15, 2022
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by platymus: 8:56pm On Jun 15, 2022
Not necessary! Learn something else!
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 15, 2022
Yes.

If you plan on traveling back in time
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 17, 2022
It's a realllly old language, so NO
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Playermayweda(m): 8:51pm On Jun 17, 2022
What do you want to use it to do?
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Lifeomann(m): 2:01am On Jun 18, 2022
Playermayweda:
my teacher said is a must. just wondering
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Basorgking(m): 3:20am On Jun 18, 2022
Playermayweda:
just wan't to know
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Playermayweda(m): 11:18am On Jun 18, 2022
Lifeomann:

my teacher said is a must. just wondering

Are you in like 100lvl or 200lvl
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Lifeomann(m): 1:21pm On Jun 18, 2022
Playermayweda:

Are you in like 100lvl or 200lvl
still in secondary school.
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by airsaylongcome: 4:26pm On Jun 18, 2022
Lifeomann:

still in secondary school.

Okay. So here's my take. My first ever programming language was QBASIC/BASIC. I was in JS2 when I started learning it more than 20years ago. Well I wasn't learning it per se. I was typing out code I saw in a book to program a text-based adventure game. Even though I try not to criticise any programming language, I'm going to be straight up honest. QBASIC is old. A relic. Definitely not worth learning. BUT, will it be a waste of your time seeing that it is the language your instructor (who is a lazy ass dinosaur)? No, it won't be completely useless. You will learn several programming concepts (such as reading keyboard input, displaying output to screen, loops, arrays etc) which will be applicable to other programming languages when you eventually get to learn them. When I eventually went to University, PASCAL programming language was what was used and I was able to quickly grab the concepts real quick and easily pivot. Within two years of Uni I had to switch languages again C++ and then Java and while that transition wasn't quite as smooth because programming switched from Procedural programming (which is the main style in BASIC and PASCAL) to Object-Oriented Programming which was another kettle of fish.

So if your instructor continues to be a lazy bone and insist on BASIC, I'd say learn it to fulfil school requirements. The knowledge you learn there will be transferable to other languages when the time comes. Wish you all the best. And goodluck as you start out early in this career field
Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by Lifeomann(m): 4:32pm On Jun 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Okay. So here's my take. My first ever programming language was QBASIC/BASIC. I was in JS2 when I started learning it more than 20years ago. Well I wasn't learning it per se. I was typing out code I saw in a book to program a text-based adventure game. Even though I try not to criticise any programming language, I'm going to be straight up honest. QBASIC is old. A relic. Definitely not worth learning. BUT, will it be a waste of your time seeing that it is the language your instructor (who is a lazy ass dinosaur)? No, it won't be completely useless. You will learn several programming concepts (such as reading keyboard input, displaying output to screen, loops, arrays etc) which will be applicable to other programming languages when you eventually get to learn them. When I eventually went to University, PASCAL programming language was what was used and I was able to quickly grab the concepts real quick and easily pivot. Within two years
THANKS

Re: Is The Knowledge Of Basic Or Qbasic Neccesary? by InfinityFabric: 5:13pm On Jun 18, 2022
It will only take you a month or two. There's a reason it's called BASIC. Not that you'll use it much or at all - just bragging rights

(1) (Reply)

Palestinian IT Man Finds Facebook Security Flaw To Post On Zuckerberg’s Wall / Android Shift / Help Pls:python Setup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.