Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,609 members, 7,816,510 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) (1776 Views)

Nigerian Student Killed By Propeller Of Private Plane He Rented For Dinner Date / A Nigerian Student Who Fled Ukraine To Germany Dies In A Swimming Accident (pic) / Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Highlandgee: 2:34pm On Jun 17, 2022
A Nigerian international student hoping to live in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada has complained she was discriminated against because she has children.

Obianuju Okwuogu had been looking for an apartment in Moncton during the pandemic for her family so she can attend Crandall University in person.

But when she was asked how many people would stay in the apartment, and said she has four daughters between two and nine, she was turned away.

"I kept searching and every day I kept getting disappointed," said the graduate student.

Okwuogu had started online classes at Crandall University. She moved to Canada from Nigeria with two of her four children and has been staying with her sister in Edmonton while she looked for a place in Moncton.

In her search for a Moncton home, she's focused on apartments with two or three bedrooms, and she had already dealt with about 20 different landlords.

Okwuogu said she sees listings online and contacts landlords by email and by phone. They respond and ask how many family members she has, whether she has children and their ages.

After telling them about her four children, she often doesn't hear back. And if she does, it's to hear that no apartments are available.
"They would just say, 'Sorry we don't have anything for you,'" she said from her sister's home in Edmonton.

She said one landlord told her it would be easier if she only had two children, and they needed to be older. "She thought she was being helpful, but it was pretty offensive," she said.

'I felt like I was being rejected'

Another landlord said her children would disrupt the neighbours and referred her to an apartment too small to fit the six family members.

"I started realizing at that point it wasn't about the space. It wasn't about the size. It was just because they were children, and they were young and they thought they would be an inconvenience to the neighbours."

Okwuogu has also looked at duplexes in Moncton. One landlord worried about her paying rent because she was a student and said Okwuogu would have to pay six months rent up front. "I was heartbroken," she said.

"I felt like I was being rejected because I had children. I felt like I was being told that my child was an inconvenience. I feel like I'm being told I should not have had my children, and that's really depressing."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/127954519916092/
Afrotimes Newspaper

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Islandlady(f): 2:35pm On Jun 17, 2022
Well this is not really about discrimination! Most landlords even in Nigeria set standards and number of occupants in their Apartments!

Most reasons is that they don't want many people in their Apartments that will lead to over usage of their properties!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by HONESTFACT101(m): 3:02pm On Jun 17, 2022
She was asked to pay 6 months upfront "This lady is looking to make an ant out of a mole hill" ......signing out✈
Highlandgee:

She said one landlord told her it would be easier if she only had two children, and they needed to be older. "She thought she was being helpful, but it was pretty offensive," she said.

Another landlord said her children would disrupt the neighbours and referred her to an apartment too small to fit the six family members.

to the neighbours."

Okwuogu has also looked at duplexes in Moncton. One landlord worried about her paying rent because she was a student and said Okwuogu would have to pay six months rent up front. "I was heartbroken," she said.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Newphiligeek123: 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2022
Islandlady:
Well this is not really about discrimination! Most landlords even in Nigeria set standards and number of occupants in their Apartments!

Most reasons is that they don't want many people in their Apartments that will lead to over usage of their properties!

Regardless, that is still discrimination - though not based on color but on having kids.
Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by bewla(m): 3:11pm On Jun 17, 2022
What a country
Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by ibechris(m): 3:45pm On Jun 17, 2022
No where like home.
Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Karlovych: 4:01pm On Jun 17, 2022
ibechris:
No where like home.

Tell that to the victims of Owo massacre, home is anywhere you make it out to be.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by ednut1(m): 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2022
this is not discrimination but common sense. A white or indian student with that number of children will face same. A student with limited work hours and many children will likely default in rent. you cant chase a tenant out till court orders which will take another 2 to 3 months . Abeg go and pay the 6 months in advance and stop wailing.

7 Likes

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Highlandgee: 1:48pm On Jun 18, 2022
For the latest news about happenings in the Nigerian community abroad, read the Afrotimes Newspaper
https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Highlandgee: 9:50pm On Jun 21, 2022
Highlandgee:
A Nigerian international student hoping to live in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada has complained she was discriminated against because she has children.

Obianuju Okwuogu had been looking for an apartment in Moncton during the pandemic for her family so she can attend Crandall University in person.

But when she was asked how many people would stay in the apartment, and said she has four daughters between two and nine, she was turned away.

"I kept searching and every day I kept getting disappointed," said the graduate student.

Okwuogu had started online classes at Crandall University. She moved to Canada from Nigeria with two of her four children and has been staying with her sister in Edmonton while she looked for a place in Moncton.

In her search for a Moncton home, she's focused on apartments with two or three bedrooms, and she had already dealt with about 20 different landlords.

Okwuogu said she sees listings online and contacts landlords by email and by phone. They respond and ask how many family members she has, whether she has children and their ages.

After telling them about her four children, she often doesn't hear back. And if she does, it's to hear that no apartments are available.
"They would just say, 'Sorry we don't have anything for you,'" she said from her sister's home in Edmonton.

"I started realizing at that point it wasn't about the space. It wasn't about the size. It was just because they were children, and they were young and they thought they would be an inconvenience to the neighbours."

"I felt like I was being rejected because I had children. I felt like I was being told that my child was an inconvenience. I feel like I'm being told I should not have had my children, and that's really depressing."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AfrotimesNewspaper/photos/a.119381757440035/127954519916092/
Afrotimes Newspaper

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Mummywifey: 10:29am On Jun 22, 2022
This is normal abroad. When i went to give birth in brazil , some of the requirements by the host on air bnb was - infants and children are not allowed. I had to look for an apartment that let kids stay.

Most landlords or host believe children easily damages things

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Raalsalghul: 3:31pm On Jun 22, 2022
Nothing bad here: landlords abroad are very specific about family size before leasing out apartments.
Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by TWoods(m): 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2022
Highlandgee:

Afrotimes Newspaper

This is silly and frankly annoying. It is important to understand the social norms of the foreign country you relocate to before making baseless claims of discrimination. This isn't Lagos where you can rent anything anywhere.

She is not being discriminated against. This is also standard fare in the Western world... landlords often target a certain demographic depending on the home, size, location, etc. I rented a 2 bedroom house once that had a no-pet rule. In my most recent rental, I could only have a roommate with the landlord's permission, and no children were allowed... and it was a bigger 3-bedroom condo.

No one is saying her children are an inconvenience. She is most likely searching for a home in an area where younger, single people mostly populate. Having younger children can also be an issue for some landlords. It means they have to worry about scratches on the walls, food in carpets, or overall more concern for damage they have to fix when you leave. As a landlord, you want a tenant who causes the least amount of damage to your home so you can easily turn it around for the next tenant without spending too much on renovations.

Some landlords also want to rent only to people who can afford the home... no one wants to be chasing rent or listening to sob stories. A student with 4 children and no visible sign of income is not a good idea for a tenant. In the US, I have had to fill out a form that requests proof of income (recent pay stub) or undergo a credit check before the landlord would rent the home. In some cases, landlords will insist on setting up an automatic wire transfer so they know their rent will get paid, on time, every month... Yes, you have kids, but it is not the obligation of the landlord to care about them. This isn't Lagos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Highlandgee: 8:22pm On Jun 24, 2022
Mummywifey:
This is normal abroad. When i went to give birth in brazil , some of the requirements by the host on air bnb was - infants and children are not allowed. I had to look for an apartment that let kids stay.

Most landlords or host believe children easily damages things
Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2022
I don't give my house to tenants with children as well. They will damage my house beyond the security deposits.
Re: Canada Landlords Deny Nigerian Student Housing Because She Has Children (pic) by hpk(m): 9:13am On Aug 07, 2022
Case of a woman crying wolf for public outcry. NEXT!

(1) (Reply)

Canada Invitation Letter / Obudu Cattle Ranch / Nigeria Boy Tolu Died In India.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.