Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays (593 Views)

Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors / Nigeria Medical Association Explains Why Doctors Are Leaving The Country / 38,000 Nigerian Doctors Are Working In The Diaspora- Eko University Of Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:55am On Jun 18, 2022
Back in the days Nigerian Doctors behaved larger than life. Studying Medicine was a gateway to untold finances, respect and favour. As such many Doctors carried themselves as demi-gods, and would not allow anyone hear word. They often made post every other month on Nairaland heaping praises on themselves.

With the turn of event, most Doctors are now the humblest people you can see. Some of them keep saying "yes sir" a hundred times to you for absolutely no reason. Most of them are underemployed in private hospital, struggling to keep head above water.

The absence of government jobs have enslaved many who now put bye with substandard health centres earning less than 150k a month, and yet work 24hours, 30 days per month, 12 months a year. For the financial record, this is far less than the salary of an 8hours shift sales girl in a standard boutique, as their 150k divided by 8 hours gives 50k. So comparative to the sales girl who earns 60k working for 8hours the MBBS doctors earns 10k less. Oh my gosh! Those who eventually squeeze their way into state owned hospitals now have to grapple with unpayed or slashed salaries for months.

Don't get me wrong, the economic hardship hits majority of ordinary Nigerians, but Doctors are by far the most hit. After spending 6-8years of study, with probably more intense and didactic study and exams than any other undergraduate in Nigeria, and proceeding to another year of house job and service, what they get out of this is pathetic. The president does not give a hoot, their big uncle Dr Ngige has dismissed them long ago, so they are basically humbled beings.

To understand the situation better tech boys who did a year or two professional mentorship, sociologists who specialize in HR, accountants, lawyers, farmers can potentially earn 4 -5 times more than these "book worm". Parents, for the love of having a Doctor child emptied their accounts and sent some of their children to Ukraine, Russia, and the West Indies. I only wonder how they feel, as their over 10million investment is not yielding up to 500k.

What Doctors do nowadays is escape. Apart from students, the next set of people that populate embassies these days are Nigerian Doctors. Almost 1 in 5 people you would meet at the UK British visa application centre are Doctors. IELT center nko? Doctors have overwhelmed that place and have probably provided IELTs and OET the most revenue among any other professionals. I know doctors who have taken IELTs more than 3 times, yet keep flocking these centres, as if escaping is a do or die affair.

Life is beyond "I must be a doctor", all those years of packaging, nothing commot inside, except escaping to be a fugitive in another man's land. My thoughts and prayers go out to all struggling medic, that the Lord provides their next meal and shelter, and that their hustle pays off in the end. Amen

Your brother

Sgt PonziHater

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by robinso01(m): 6:58am On Jun 18, 2022
Nigeria humble them
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by meobizy(f): 12:01pm On Jun 18, 2022
know doctors who have taken IELTs more than 3 times
Doctor wey dey struggle to pass IELTS na doctor?
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 19, 2022
Honestly, your post has some level of dislike towards doctors
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 19, 2022
Who be this one again?

Doctors have never been any more relevant than any other profession in Nigeria until I read your post.

You must have had a lifelong intimidation from doctors in your circle of existence which brought about this thread from you, out of nowhere, in a time like this.

I can't see any link between current daily happenings around the world and your thread, out of the blues.
What could have warranted this thread?

I think your submission is a personal one. Most people don't feel the same or talk the same. Existence of anything called or studying to be a medical doctor is the least relevant topic at the moment.
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by sgtponzihater1(m): 2:24pm On Jun 19, 2022
Bellaobella:
Honestly, your post has some level of dislike towards doctors

I love Doctors, so left a prayer in the last line. No element of hate here
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by Originalsly: 3:25pm On Jun 19, 2022
I get your point and agree that Nigerian doctors are not the demi gods they used to be. I do agree... and I strongly believe that the internet played a big part in this step down. Information the doctors only were privy to can be found on the net. Before... whatever the doctor said cannot be questioned because you don't have the information to question him. If I'm sick... I can Google the symptoms and have a good idea of my illness. Should I go to the doctor... and he be saying something totally off... I can question him. Should he give me prescription.... I can Google to learn if it is relevant. Doctors now are facing wayyyy more informed patients and have to be on their game to maintain their reputation. If not competent... I can get on SM and send word out... far and wide..... busy body times a thousand I can be. After 10 years practice... doctor has bought himself a Benz.... driving a Benz... younare a somebody... a big somebody.... but that was then... you are no longer special now ... when Primary School drop out Emeka is driving better Benz.... why would you not now be humble?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Doctors Are More Humble Nowadays by sgtponzihater1(m): 5:47pm On Jun 19, 2022
Originalsly:
I get your point and agree that Nigerian doctors are not the demi gods they used to be. I do agree... and I strongly believe that the internet played a big part in this step down. Information the doctors only were privy to can be found on the net. Before... whatever the doctor said cannot be questioned because you don't have the information to question him. If I'm sick... I can Google the symptoms and have a good idea of my illness. Should I go to the doctor... and he be saying something totally off... I can question him. Should he give me prescription.... I can Google to learn if it is relevant. Doctors now are facing wayyyy more informed patients and have to be on their game to maintain their reputation. If not competent... I can get on SM and send word out... far and wide..... busy body times a thousand I can be. After 10 years practice... doctor has bought himself a Benz.... driving a Benz... younare a somebody... a big somebody.... but that was then... you are no longer special now ... when Primary School drop out Emeka is driving better Benz.... why would you not now be humble?

Fab! Nice that you get the point. You just added more detail to what I said. Thanks

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

4 Secrets To Overcoming Stomach Ulcers That No Doctor Will Dare Tell You / Are You Always Ill And Need To Be Healthy Always? / The Presidents Preference For Foreign Hospitals.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.