Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,944 members, 7,956,563 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:05 PM

Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? (2009 Views)

How To Make a DESKTOP Executable Software Using PHP,MYSQL,SQLITE / Php/mysql Help:how To Run Sql Query From A Link / Running Python Codes In Php (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by smartsoft(m): 7:49pm On Jul 04, 2005
Hey guys, anybody here good in PHP/MySQL? I would love to share ideas on that as well too. I'm a newbie here though, I've joined several portals like this, but haven't seen any Nigerian stuff like this so ... just hoping to get people who do this and probably suggest Seun should add up this to the forum.

Thanks.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by kazey(m): 5:44am On Jul 05, 2005
i am sure there are lot of guys here, that are quiet comfortable with php. All you have to do is ask a question and you would see the stream of answers to help you out.

But sharing ideas? what kind of ideas? please explain.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by jogego(m): 9:38am On Jul 05, 2005
What exactly do you want to do with mysql?
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by smartsoft(m): 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2005
not much joge.. just fill that something lyke that should come up in the Forum... i was just trying to bring that up. so ppl could discuss on that topic.

And Kazeey What i really meant was question, ain't ideas. though we could share ideas on PHP/MYSQL if other members are willing to share ideas.

Thanks Guys..
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by Chxta(m): 8:07pm On Jul 17, 2005
smartsoft:

Hey guys, anybody here good in PHP/MySQL? I would love to share ideas on that as well too. I'm a newbie here though, I've joined several portals like this, but haven't seen any Nigerian stuff like this so ... just hoping to get people who do this and probably suggest Seun should add up this to the forum.

Thanks.

Ask away...
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by dre901(m): 3:31pm On Jul 26, 2005
Please anybody, know where I can get easy learning of MySQL and PHP?
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by kazey(m): 12:31am On Jul 27, 2005
To All guys that would like to learn php, this is what you should do.

Visit www.w3schools.com, to know the basics terminologies used etc.

Get Xampp, because i wouldn't advise you to do the installation one by one, or you would get discouraged, especially when it comes to the source distributions of the php interpreter for example. But if you are the adventurous type, why not wink

XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start. You can download it here. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Get a php editor, i would recommend a user friendly open source software, such as PHP Designer 2005, designed by Micheal Pham. PHP Designer 2005 brings you a deployment environment that combines PHP, HTML, XHTML, CSS and SQL (Ingres, Interbase, MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Sybase and Standard SQL) packed in one single program with build-in dialogs/wizards, access to common code/script libraries, utilities and procedures in a nice and elegant design.

You can obtain it here. http://www.mpsoftware.dk/downloads.php

Get a good php textbook, I would recommend PHP and Mysql Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson without thinking twice.

Get a .chm format, copy of the php documentation from php.net and subscribe to their mailing list.

Visit and frequent Php related forums like the one in Dev Network. http://forums.devnetwork.net/ and register, you would need them for learning new things, asking of questions and also solving of problems.

Go to Zend. at http://www.zend.com. and register, and browse through their beginners tutorials.

And last of all, you don't need to even know everything in the textbook. As I see a lot of people memorizing page by page. All you need to know is the basics, and the syntax. When you are coding, you just need to use textbooks and online sources for references and help.

And yes don't forget frequenting www.hotscripts.com to download source codes, of things you would desire to know how it is built, things like CMS etc. It is quite helpful, when you see the style and pattern of good developers.

And don't forget the "Greatest Google" for anything extra. I think i touched almost all the stuff that would be required?
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by timba(m): 2:06am On Aug 20, 2005
I've been a web developer for a number of years and I am rather comfortable with building even complex web applications.

Having previous programming knowledge is an advantage since you can easily switch from the regular procedural or object oriented programming to building web applications. But be warned, they are rather different.

All what Kazey's said are good and I'm in complete agreement. However, you must be careful not to get stuck in the forever-student syndrome and continue seeking for knowledge when you should be practicing what you've already learnt. I for instance learnt PHP (the rudiments) in a week only from reading the manual and lots and lots of experiments - may be that would be probably the best way to learn! Everyone has different ways they learn best so you'll need to find yours.

Philip Greenspun is one man you should read if you'll be a serious web developer. Here are my recommendations:

Software Engineering for Internet Applications
Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing
SQL for Web Nerds

Good luck!
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by kazey(m): 4:50am On Aug 20, 2005
Wooh thanks for the links. You got me something to read for the weekend grin, I don't even know where to start. Kazey goes and gets some coffee. wink
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by timba(m): 9:35am On Aug 22, 2005
The pleasure is all mine smiley
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by Farriel(m): 5:49pm On Aug 23, 2005
I for one still believes that there's no greater resource for anything like Google. Give it a shot at all times, you wouldn't regret the time spent doing it.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by smartsoft(m): 2:31pm On Aug 30, 2005
You can say that again farrel hummm
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2005
I have been doing PHP/MySQL over a year now. Maybe I could help and what exactly do you need?
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by joftech(m): 5:44am On Jan 22, 2006
It's like this thread is not going to where the creator want it to go.

So everyone, i just want to ask how you connect PHP to Mysql (i.e. linking a database to php scripts).

I will be glad if you can all share the trick(s) you use.

Thanks.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by Seun(m): 9:19am On Jan 22, 2006
There are 101 web tutorials available for that! I usually look them up each time I have to work on a PHP script.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by DarkNight1(m): 9:32am On Jan 22, 2006
google it.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by joftech(m): 7:09pm On Jan 22, 2006
Should i take it that you guys don't have special ways of doing that. I want to know other people's way of doing it, not that i don't know how.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by tuxpow3r(m): 7:37pm On Jan 22, 2006
Should i take it that you guys don't have special ways of doing that. I want to know other people's way of doing it, not that i don't know how.

I don't understand exactly what other special ways are there? I mean you are either using mysql_connect or mysqli_connect depending on the extension. And you are either using a native way or calling it within a db abstraction layer. And oh as far as editor is concerned, I just use the Eclipse SDK.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by kris(m): 9:27pm On Jan 22, 2006
Yeah you can find good tutorials online, and also try using p2p softwares to download e-books on it. A book i highly recomend is "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL, 3rd ed."

After using that book you will build great sites like www.sexynaija.com and www.karrygo.com

Take care and good luck.

Kris.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by joftech(m): 7:20am On Jan 23, 2006
Yeah i have that book by Kevin Yank. I have fiished it but am still going over it again.
Re: Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? by asmicom: 12:27am On Feb 16, 2006
Hey,
download easyphp using search engines. that saves you from the stress of configuring.
load the phpmyadmin at the taskbar. Use that to create your database and store data.
Inside ur www directory found in the easyphp 1.8 or 1.7, store your php files.

to connect, u need something like
mysql_connect(, )
All you have read can now be applied from there.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Add An Editor In The Textarea In An ASP.NET MVC Application / How To Improve My Php Skills / Looking For A C# MVC Developer With Experience In Developing An Accounting App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.