Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Delete These Apps Immediately! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Delete These Apps Immediately! (7702 Views)

Delete These 6 Apps To Avoid Getting Into Trouble With SARS / Google Advises Android Users To Delete These 24 Banned Apps / Android Users Delete These Apps From Your Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 7:39pm On Jun 25, 2022
Let’s talk about why task killers and RAM boosters are a scam and why you ought to delete them immediately.

Task killers and RAM boosters are apps that promise to manage and free up RAM space. This could be on your phone or computer.

Now they obviously go by many fancy and sometimes obscure names, but they all promise the same thing… killing tasks and boosting your RAM.

Video: Hybrid vs Dual SIM slots. Which one is better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGtg4IXOSL8

Reasons why people use Task killers and RAM boosters (personal story)

At any point between 2015 and 2018, you would always find them on my device. I never joked with them.

They were top 10 on my list of most used apps, if not top 2, second only to pocketbooks.

This is because I started out using an Android with 512MB RAM and boy, there was never any space to do anything.

I also learned quite early that running apps were saved to RAM so it made sense to me to keep the RAM free if I wanted to use my favorite apps.

That was when I learnt about task killers and RAM boosters.

Their job was simple. Wipe out every task in the RAM to create RAM space. They could also by extension, restrict background app usage.

I won’t lie, they did serve their purpose albeit slightly, but they did.

While games like Dream League or NOVA legacy were coded to use a decent amount of memory, PUBG and PES (now eFootball) were memory hogs. Another deceptive memory consumer is Sim city. I love Sim city but that game consumes a lot of system resources.

So, if you have used or are currently using a 2GB RAM phone, you would understand how slow and unresponsive it becomes when the RAM gets filled up.

The painful part is when apps suddenly get force closed and the phone sends you back to the home screen or worse. It just reboots and restarts.

I cannot count how many PES matches I lost due to this low memory problem. PUBG was kinder because if I logged back in quickly enough, I would be able to resume from where I left off.

At times, the RAM would be so occupied that I’ll have to power the phone off to wipe the RAM and then use my RAM boosters to sweep it clean before I can start a game.

Low memory issues are big pain. I know that money is hard right now but I’ll never advice anyone to get a 2GB RAM device. Just get 3GB or 4GB if you can.

So yeah, I’m sure that I was not the only one who used RAM boosters. Lots of people did and still do.

I had to recently, forcefully uninstall RAM boosters from a friend’s phone. She upgraded from Tecno Spark 2 to RN9S and still kept it ���.

I was like aunty, your phone is 6GB RAM. You will not run out of memory. Please let me uninstall this thing.

Lots of people have been traumatized by low space. It’s no joke.

Why task killers and RAM boosters are a scam

But I’m here to tell you that task killers and RAM boosters are useless and may even be harmful to your smartphone.

Yes. I’ll explain.

Now the reason I gave that sermon was to let you know that I have used RAM boosters myself and I can understand why people think that they work.

In reality, they don’t. They are just a placebo.

When you activate a RAM booster, does clear all your apps from RAM?

Yes. It does.

Does the RAM stay free? Absolutely not. The OS simply pre-loads the apps back into the RAM again and we’re back to zero.

Right back where we started.

No matter how much you clear your RAM with a RAM boosters/task killer, the space won’t stay free.

Android most of the time, considers a lot free ram as wasted RAM so it will preload apps into it.

This is where it gets worse.

The more you clear your RAM, the more the system reloads the cleared apps. This process isn’t free. It costs CPU bandwidth and battery. These are two very important system resources.

See: What are system resources?

This will cause your battery to drain faster, making you charge it more and ultimately causing it to age quicker.

Instead of freeing up RAM, RAM boosters themselves occupy RAM space and persist in RAM. This serves to make the low memory problem even worse.

Another danger is that since the CPUs/OS have to preload apps, you’ll be forcing the CPU to go and read the inbuilt storage to fetch apps and keep in the RAM.

This increased number of reads and writes from storage to RAM could shorten the life of both hardwares.

RAM boosters may sometimes kick important system tasks out of RAM which may cause the system to crash or fail completely, sending your phone into a series of bootloops.

I’ll never forget my first bootloop. I almost cried mehn. ���

Anyway, we move lol. ���

So while RAM boosters/task killers may carve out a small space for you momentarily, the OS will soon reclaim them wasting very precious system resources.

RAM boosters are not only useless in the long term but sometimes, they can be dangerous.

What should you do?

Today, you should not have to worry about managing your RAM because Android is designed to actually do it for you.

I have been preaching RAM management here for the last two months I think.

See: What is RAM management?

Android can manage RAM well so that you don’t have to worry about it.

See: How does Android manage RAM?

Also as a user, know thyself.

I cannot go and buy a 3GB RAM device because I’ll be punishing myself. I am a heavy user and multitasker. I do not currently have a laptop so I shoot and edit videos out of my phone.

I manage this blog and telegram, Facebook, Reddit, Quora out of this phone. I type blog posts on it.

Anything less may not support my use.

I see people who game looking for 2GB phones and trying to carve memory out to play.

Please don’t do that to yourself. People who multitask like me are also on this table.

Your CPU needs a lot of RAM space to store big apps. It also needs a lot of space to multitask.

Check yourself and make better smartphone decisions.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2022/06/25/task-killers-and-ram-boosters-are-a-scam/

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Oxb90: 8:24pm On Jun 25, 2022
Oga you Sabi something joor.

12 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Oyiboman69: 8:46pm On Jun 25, 2022
Thanks for the tip... in all, I believe what you're preaching is, don't buy a device with a lower ram.....

3 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 9:02pm On Jun 25, 2022
Oyiboman69:
Thanks for the tip... in all, I believe what you're preaching is, don't buy a device with a lower ram.....

If you're a heavy user that likes to open plenty apps, avoid 2/3GB RAM phones.

2 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2022
Oxb90:
Oga you Sabi something joor.

Thank you
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Mercury12(m): 9:10pm On Jun 25, 2022
I had same experience with my old 500mb ram phones back in the days lol. I'm a gamer that also likes to multitask and it wasn't funny running games and apps. There was never enough space sad . It slows the phone then I starts using an app that promise to boost ram memory from external memory card lol cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by HRHQueenPhil(f): 9:10pm On Jun 25, 2022
This is one of the best things ever read. GOD bless u

5 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Hartway: 9:24pm On Jun 25, 2022
Old memories. Actually RAM Boosters and taskillers are memory hogs and BATTERY LIFE KILLERS.
Thanks for this expose.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 9:43pm On Jun 25, 2022
Hartway:
Old memories. Actually RAM Boosters and taskillers are memory hogs and BATTERY LIFE KILLERS.
Thanks for this expose.

Exactly.

You're welcome
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 9:44pm On Jun 25, 2022
Mercury12:
I had same experience with my old 500mb ram phones back in the days lol. I'm a gamer that also likes to multitask and it wasn't funny running games and apps. There was never enough space sad . It slows the phone then I starts using an app that promise to boost ram memory from external memory card lol cheesy

Lol grin grin grin
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 25, 2022
Too much story, just go straight to the point.

8 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by swaqq(m): 10:44pm On Jun 25, 2022
The ads that come with those apps ehn

4 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2022
Olasyke:

You do know you can skip the article if you want.

No one forced you to read it. If your attention span isn't longer than 30 secs, there's always TikTok and Reels.

2 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2022
swaqq:
The ads that come with those apps ehn

Them go join hang your phone.
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Memberclub(m): 12:06am On Jun 26, 2022
The one’s on Samsung are what then?
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by NotBeenPaid: 2:28am On Jun 26, 2022

4GB of RAM isn't enough these days. With games like After Life, Alien Isolation, COD, and, PUBG.

1 Like

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Eyanbahose: 3:13am On Jun 26, 2022
You make good posts but always use a TL;DR in your posts for those that don't have the patience to read all.
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 26, 2022
Olasyke:

Learn how to enjoy reading.

Atheistandpround nice one..

3 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 26, 2022
@ Atheistandpround I plan on getting a 4gb ram phone.. Rn9s

Will 4gb be enough to run FIFA, Pubg, Cod and social media apps without lagging?

1 Like

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Anisilas: 6:00am On Jun 26, 2022
Your posts are always educative.

1 Like

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by Dayvidblue: 7:04am On Jun 26, 2022
Some of this ram boosters constitute a security risk, remember downloading one back then, and it kept installing other apps on my device without my consent.
How they were able to bypass playstore's security check still baffles me.

4 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 7:14am On Jun 26, 2022
Miracood2:
@ Atheistandpround I plan on getting a 4gb ram phone.. Rn9s

Will 4gb be enough to run FIFA, Pubg, Cod and social media apps without lagging?

One big app and several small apps, no. It won't lag.

But some people go open Chrome leave for background, then they'll be trying to play eFootball or PUBG or both. Na there wahala take dey start.

3 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 7:16am On Jun 26, 2022
Dayvidblue:
Some of this ram boosters constitute a security risk, remember downloading one back then, and it kept installing other apps on my device without my consent.
How they were able to bypass playstore's security check still baffles me.

Google are greedy. So long as you pay them that $25 fee, you can put anything on Playstore.

If you no agree to T&C's, them go flag your app as malware, even when it is not.

2 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 7:17am On Jun 26, 2022
Anisilas:
Your posts are always educative.

Thank you.
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 7:21am On Jun 26, 2022
Eyanbahose:
You make good posts but always use a TL;DR in your posts for those that don't have the patience to read all.

Whilst I understand your point, this posts like these are supposed to be earning me money on my blog. This is why bloggers never post in full on NL.

But I post in full here and I never ask anyone for anything. So I see no reason to appeal to anyone's ego. It's a free service.

If he doesn't want to read it, he's free to go. Everyone knows that my articles are 500+ words. This one is actually 1k+.

People that want knowledge will read. Those that don't have patience should go to TikTok.

Problem solved.

3 Likes

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by atheistandproud(m): 8:37am On Jun 26, 2022
Vickho:
shut up and always learn to go straight to the point.
No one needs to read your useless epistle

Skip the article and go away. I don't want you to read it anyway.

Stop letting everyone know that you have the attention span of a toddler.

1 Like

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by romklef(m): 11:13am On Jun 26, 2022
Nice write up man �
Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by 8BitGee(m): 11:35am On Jun 26, 2022
atheistandproud:

Skip the article and go away. I don't want you to read it anyway.

Stop letting everyone know that you have the attention span of a toddler.

Don't do that, as a tech blogger, you're also a businessman. You have just found an opportunity, plug into it by posting tiktok and other SM links when next you post. Your audience will pick whatever is easier to consume. The biggest tech bloggers MKBHD, Mrwhosetheboss, UnboxTherapy, LinusTechTips all understand this.

1 Like

Re: Delete These Apps Immediately! by kenearth50(m): 11:36am On Jun 26, 2022
Same thing I'm experiencing with the 2gb RAM itel phone

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Browse Free Using Mtn On Opera 7.5.the Only Problem Is That I Cannot Download Files!can Anybody He / Telecommunication Companies Lose 8 Million Subscribers in Q2 2021 / How To Use MTN 2019 Via Hammer Vpn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.