Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,981 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Does Prayer Really Work - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Prayer Really Work (376 Views)

Does Prayer Really Work ? / Is Prayer Really Useful? / How Much Impact Does Prayer Have On One's Success In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Prayer Really Work by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 26, 2022
This video was shared online by a Young Nigeria Man, saying Prayers doesn't work.
I decide to bring it here so we can talk more about it.
Lets get ourselves enlighten

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_bYd53h0BA

prayer is staying in communication with God—talking to Him, spending time in His presence, and drawing near to Him. Through prayer, we express adoration and thanks to God, we make requests known to Him, we intercede for others, and we learn more about His character and His will for our lives.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfPsG2hIv9f/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 10:08am On Jun 26, 2022
It's just some random words stating what you wish aloud with the hope that some lifeless imaginary creature will grant em... grin
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 10:12am On Jun 26, 2022
Prayer works but the problem is we want God to answer us when we need it forgetting that God does things according to His own time and purpose
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 10:17am On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
Prayer works but the problem is we want God to answer us when we need it forgetting that God does things according to His own time and purpose
How about those that needed the help urgently..let's say they have a dying family member or something..is your God still gonna stand by his so called time and purpose or devise a mean to save them..
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 10:47am On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

How about those that needed the help urgently..let's say they have a dying family member or something..is your God still gonna stand by his so called time and purpose or devise a mean to save them..
True...but what if God sees that keeping that family member alive may lead others to hell...or what if He decides to let that family member die, so he can be in eternal bliss in heaven.. wouldn't that be a far better option than letting them live and at the end of the day going to hell ? Of course it would . And besides, if the bible were true (and it is )people dont really die; they just change location.

This is one of the reason why God is always intrested in making decisions that are far better than those we can ever have for ourselves.
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 10:56am On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
True...but what if God sees that keeping that family member alive may lead others to hell...or what if He decides to let that family member die, so he can be in eternal bliss in heaven.. wouldn't that be a far better option than letting them live and at the end of the day going to hell ? Of course it would . And besides, if the bible were true (and it is )people dont really die; they just change location.

This is one of the reason why God is always intrested in making decisions that are far better than those we can ever have for ourselves.
Can you see that the whole thing makes no sense.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 11:01am On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Can you see that the whole thing makes no sense.. undecided
It makes no sense to you because you're of the opinion that it shouldn't. grin

Another fine analogy would be your kids asking you for candy ,but as a parent , you know fully well that candy is bad for children, and that veggies are far more healthy in the long run.

Question: if your child starts asking and crying for candy , would you say yes to his demands ? No. Why ?Because you know better . You know that if he consumes candy for a long time, there's every possibility of him getting sick smiley

The same applies to how God deals with us .
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jokerman(m): 11:01am On Jun 26, 2022
Yes it does.

It works everyday.
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:05am On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
It makes no sense to you because you're of the opinion that it shouldn't. grin

Another fine analogy would be your kids asking you for candy ,but as a parent , you know fully well that candy is bad for children, and that veggies are far more healthy in the long run.

Question: if your child starts asking and crying for candy , would you say yes to his demands ? No. Why because you know better . You know that if he consumes candy for a long time, there's every possibility of him getting sick smiley
This ain't no candy nonsense..now you say your God has reasons..is he that selfish..you mean the persons killed in the church are eager to leave earth for heaven hence their death in such horrible manner? undecided

Are you also saying all those who lost their life did cos they were on the verge of leading others to hell? undecided
If your belief is in a god then i see ya as a clown..but my opinion is an almighty being wouldn't allow children to suffer..wouldn't allow war..wouldn't allow paedophiles...But they exist right?..Which in my eyes says God doesn't.. undecided
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 11:30am On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

This ain't no candy nonsense..now you say your God has reasons..is he that selfish..you mean the persons killed in the church are eager to leave earth for heaven hence their death in such horrible manner? undecided

Are you also saying all those who lost their life did cos they were on the verge of leading others to hell? undecided
If your belief is in a god then i see ya as a clown..but my opinion is an almighty being wouldn't allow children to suffer..wouldn't allow war..wouldn't allow paedophiles...But they exist right?..Which in my eyes says God doesn't.. undecided
Lol...God gives us the ability to make choices and form decisions. This is what some experts would call freewill, but unfortunately , humans (like you) choose to abuse that ability because of selfish desires. Which is why we see wars , famine , strife and murder.

Secondly, if God intervenes in everything, wouldn't that make Him a dictator...wouldn't that automatically take away your freewill? grin

And besides, who's responsible for all the mayhem in human society...God or Humans ? If your answer is humans , then you'll agree with me that human society can't be rid of evil because we all have self desires to constantly do evil . Which is why we need to follow God, because God is always good
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:38am On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
Lol...God gives us the ability to make choices and form decisions. This is what some experts would call freewill, but unfortunately , humans (like you) choose to abuse that ability because of selfish desires. Which is why we see wars , famine , strife and murder.

Secondly, if God intervenes in everything, wouldn't that make Him a dictator...wouldn't that automatically take away your freewill? grin

And besides, who's responsible for all the mayhem in human society...God or Humans ? If your answer is humans , then you'll agree with me that human society can't be rid of evil because we all have self desires to constantly do evil . Which is why we need to follow God, because God is always good

He ain't intervening..I am talking about him granting your request..You talk about god not preventing evil but if god exists..who do you suppose causes birth defects? What’s more evil than a god who does that?
Or is that free will too?

If there was an omnipotent..omniscient god he would be responsible for everything that happens everywhere...you can't tell me there is a God and he watches every wrong that goes around the world..that alone prove his inexistence..I can only agree that we are the author of our doing without the influence of any God.. undecided

If you believe in god then you believe he is all powerful..omnipotent and all loving and good.
So yes..he would be responsible for EVERYTHING that happens..good..bad or indifferent... He allows the bad as well as the good...

Some will tell you oh no there is free will(people like you) People make their own decisions...So that means this all powerful all knowing god is non-interventionist...So what’s the point of a god? Others will tell you there is a devil..But if this god is all powerful and omnipotent then the devil is nothing right?
How does that make any sense..
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 11:50am On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

He ain't intervening..I am talking about him granting your request..You talk about god not preventing evil but if god exists..who do you suppose causes birth defects? What’s more evil than a god who does that?
Or is that free will too?

If there was an omnipotent, omniscient god he would be responsible for everything that happens everywhere...you can't tell me there is a God and he watches every wrong that goes around the world..that alone prove his inexistence..I can only agree that we are the author of our doing without the influence of any God.. undecided
Lol...so you agree that we are the authors of our woes, right ? But why do you feel God should intervene in human affairs when it's quite obvious we keep rejecting God by doing what's contrary to our own existence ? grin

God is not the villain here , we are. And for us to make our society right we need God more than ever .
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:58am On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
Lol...so you agree that we are the authors of our woes, right ? But why do you feel God should intervene in human affairs when it's quite obvious we keep rejecting God by doing what's contrary to our own existence ? grin

Yeah we are the author of our woes on the ground that there is no god watching.. simple..
How can you tell me there is a God and his job is to sit and watch the world go in disarray..Is he that powerless?

Answering your bolded..cos he doesn't exist.. wink
How can he intervene when he doesn't exist...?
You folks say god is omnipotent and omniscient but he so loves Man that He has given Man the gift of free choice.. whether to be good or evil..Man is such a consummate sinner that he often chooses evil.. which breaks God’s heart...do you get the joke there? grin FREE WILL..HE GAVE YOU FREEWILL.. grin

If God is ‘omnipotent and omniscient’ he already knows what’s going to happen.
If He already knows what’s going to happen, where is your ‘free will’? smiley grin
And the same benevolent God condemns the ‘sinner’ to hell forever... grin
Funny nonsense..
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 12:52pm On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Yeah we are the author of our woes on the ground that there is no god watching.. simple..
How can you tell me there is a God and his job is to sit and watch the world go in disarray..Is he that powerless?

You folks say god is omnipotent and omniscient but he so loves Man that He has given Man the gift of free choice.. whether to be good or evil..Man is such a consummate sinner that he often chooses evil.. which breaks God’s heart...do you get the joke there? grin FREE WILL..HE GAVE YOU FREEWILL.. grin

If He already knows what’s going to happen, where is your ‘free will’? smiley grin
Funny nonsense..
God knows the beginning from end ,but do you know He doesnt influence the outcome of whatever decision you make ...? The freewill He has given you let's you decide that for yourself . For example , people like you say "God will send them to hell for rejecting Jesus" . This statement is false because God doesn't send people to hell, rather , it's because you sinned and chose to reject the the free gif of salvation that God gave you through the death of Jesus . God loves you so much that He's willing to let you make your own decisions even if it runs contrary to His loving plans.

Secondly, if God didn't exist , what theory explains reality better :theism or atheism? grin
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 12:53pm On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Funny nonsense..
Yes , God knows the beginning from the end ,but do you know He doesn't have an influence in whatever choice you make regarding the outcomes ...? The freewill He has given you let's you decide that for yourself . For example , people like you say "God will send them to hell for rejecting Jesus" . I find this statement to be false because God doesn't send people to hell, rather , it's because they sinned, and all sinners willingly chose to reject God because they wanted to continue with their own evil . Simple

So you see, God loves you so much that He's willing to let you make your own choices ...even if it runs contrary to His loving plans of you being in heaven with Him. And when you think of it , people who rejected God in this life wouldn't want even want Him in the next life . So God respects your choice by giving you what you want grin

Secondly, if God didn't exist , what theory explains reality better :theism or atheism? grin
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 12:59pm On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
God knows the beginning from end ,but do you know He doesnt influence the outcome of whatever decision you make ...? The freewill He has given you let's you decide that for yourself . For example , people like you say "God will send them to hell for rejecting Jesus" . This statement is false because God doesn't send people to hell, rather , it's because you sinned and chose to reject the the free gif of salvation that God gave you through the death of Jesus . God loves you so much that He's willing to let you make your own decisions even if it runs contrary to His loving plans.

If God is omniscient he cannot have free will because he already knows everything that will happen...He can make no change and still remain omniscient or if he does the change He made actually changed nothing...

In fact if God does not have free will what is he good for? undecided
Free will in the sense meant here is the ability to choose between two or more alternative courses of action right? If it is possible for God to know in advance everything that will ever happen then everything is pre-ordained..right?

If everything is pre-ordained then God has no agency to choose in the moment any course of action other than the one pre-ordained...Thus he cannot exercise free will even if he was the one who pre-ordained the inevitable course in the first place...your God loses not only free will but all power to influence anything as soon as He achieves omniscience...it's simple logic..you speak like ya God is intentionally playing a game with human live.. grin
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 1:22pm On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

If God is omniscient he cannot have free will because he already knows everything that will happen...He can make no change and still remain omniscient or if he does the change He made actually changed nothing...

In fact if God does not have free will what is he good for? undecided
Free will in the sense meant here is the ability to choose between two or more alternative courses of action right? If it is possible for God to know in advance everything that will ever happen then everything is pre-ordained..right?

If everything is pre-ordained then God has no agency to choose in the moment any course of action other than the one pre-ordained...Thus he cannot exercise free will even if he was the one who pre-ordained the inevitable course in the first place...your God loses not only free will but all power to influence anything as soon as He achieves omniscience...it's simple logic..you speak like ya God is intentionally playing a game with human live.. grin

You've still not answered the last question but I'll assume you chose to ignore because you know atheism doesn't make sense grin

Secondly, your definition of omnipotent isn't what the bible teaches ,rather , the bible describes God omnipotence as knowing the outcome of an event . This is very different from deciding the fate of an individual. Which is why God said " I place before you life and death, therefore choose life that ye may live " Deut30:15
grin

So you can see, God gives you a choice. It's left for you now to accept it or reject it. The call is yours grin
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
You've still not answered the last question but I'll assume you chose to ignore because you know atheism doesn't make sense grin

Secondly, your definition of omnipotent isn't what the bible teaches ,rather , the bible describes God omnipotence as knowing the outcome of an event . This is very different from deciding the fate of an individual. Which is why God said " I place before you life and death, therefore choose life that ye may live " Deut30:15
grin

So you can see, God gives you a choice. It's left for you now to accept it or reject it. The call is yours grin

Atheism of course..chose not to believe in fairy tales.. grin
If All is there to be known. Then YOU don't have FREEWILL..It's predetermined...

ALSO if your God has a PLAN..Then praying is futile….it's in the plan or not..?Your prayers mean nothing...so tell me where your free will is coming from when he knows everything.. predetermined..
CHECKMATE.. cheesy wink
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Kobojunkie: 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2022
Storyupdate:
This video was shared online by a Young Nigeria Man, saying Prayers doesn't work.
I decide to bring it here so we can talk more about it.
Lets get ourselves enlighten

prayer is staying in communication with God—talking to Him, spending time in His presence, and drawing near to Him. Through prayer, we express adoration and thanks to God, we make requests known to Him, we intercede for others, and we learn more about His character and His will for our lives.
Prayer isn't what works. What does is submission to and obedience of the teachings(and commandments) of Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by Jashub: 1:35pm On Jun 26, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Atheism of course..chose not to believe in fairy tales.. grin
If All is there to be known. Then YOU don't have FREEWILL..It's predetermined...

ALSO if your God has a PLAN..Then praying is futile….it's in the plan or not..?Your prayers mean nothing...so tell me where your free will is coming from when he knows everything.. predetermined..
CHECKMATE.. cheesy wink
I've already told you that God doesnt predetermined anything, but rather, He can foresee the outcome of an event before it actually happens . For example, if a child climbs a wall, there are two possibilities:

1. He falls and hurts himself

2. He walk away unharmed

These two outcomes would definitely be known by those standing nearby , and observers who wouldn't want the child to hurt himself would intervene by either sending warnings , or yelling at the child to come down . This is the same thing God does with us ...and it's a very , very fair deal when compared to the alternative.

At lastly , atheism stuck because it doesn't make sense. It doesnt even explain cases like morality , human existence or creation. Rather it steals from God in order to attack God . grin
Re: Does Prayer Really Work by FERNANDEZISBACK: 1:37pm On Jun 26, 2022
Jashub:
I've already told you that God doesnt predetermined anything rather, he know the outcome. For example, if a child climbs a wall, there are two possibilities:

1. He falls and hurts himself

2. He walk away unharmed

These two outcomes would definitely be known by those standing nearby , and observers who wouldn't want the child to hurt himself would intervene by either sending warnings , or yelling at the child to come down . This is the same thing God does with us ...and it's a very , very fair deal when compared to the alternative.

At lastly , atheism stuck because it doesn't make sense. It doesnt even explain cases like morality and rather it steals from God in order to attack God . grin
He knows the outcome.. so where is your free will?
How does atheism steal from God? grin
You seem confused..what case of morality do. You need to be explained to ya?

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Incubi And Succubi Still In Existence? / The Ark By Living Faith. / Didier Drogba Accept Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.