Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,858 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? (20274 Views)

Are Africans Proud Of Black Americans? / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? / Why Do Africans Scar Themselves: Self Hate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by kony1(m): 11:57pm On Jul 24, 2011
This confuses me. Black americans literally carry the african diaspora on our backs. Anything positive done by black people, in the last hundred or so years, were done by black americans. If anything africans shame us

Explain to me how an african can possibly look down on a black american, as ya often do
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by ADM1(m): 1:22am On Jul 25, 2011
Jesus Christ Superstar, what's with you? Do you know how $tupid you sound? Do you not know anything about history? You mean to tell me black folks in other parts of the world haven't done anything? So, I guess all those wars of independence (which started in the 1950s) were nothing, right? The creation of music such as merengue, reggae, dub, and hip-hop pioneer Kool Herc, were nothing, right?

Why are you still thinking the actions of a few ignorant Africans reflects on ALL of them? You don't like it when someone does it to African descendants, so why do it yourself? The ones that make silly assumptions and generalizations don't reflect on  everybody from the continent. I know because I know some from the continent and I'm cool with them. We get along just fine. It's like saying all white people are racists or all Muslims are terrorists (due to recent terror attacks in Norway, that's obviously not true). Did you know there are Arabs and Caucasians that live on the African continent? Do you include them when you say "Africans"?

You sound just like a white nationalist with your "I'm-better-than-you" nonsense and saying others haven't contributed anything. You're being no different from them and ignorant folks who generalize blacks in the U.S. If you don't like Africans, why are you here? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY ARE YOU HERE!? Can you answer that question, Mr. Generalizing Fight Starter?
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Mfalme313: 1:25pm On Jul 25, 2011
How can't an African look down on a black American?

Stop beggin it, Africans are not going to acknowledge you. Let's be real, Africans don't give a fuk about other Africans let alone you.

You managed to produce the cliche Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks etc and you want Africans to roll out the red carpet for you, naaaah. The "mud hut" living African don't care about you, don't respect you and aren't even impressed by you.

By the way, the average African don't see the "positive images" you speak of. They see a bunch of black folks living in utter poverty, on crack, gang bangin and just out of order in a so-called developed country that happens to be the world's superpower and naturally certain people can't fathom that.

I'm not even trying to be disrespectful but I clocked you, bruv.

What i stated above is how Africans (I dealt with) perceive you. They don't give a fuk about you, no one does and same with us. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Get a slice of pie and enjoy life.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by ADM1(m): 3:48pm On Jul 25, 2011
From the post above, I can see ignorance knows no bounds. It's sad how some people view others in a negative light, whether Africans on black Americans or whatever. I guess this is human nature. All I can say is this: stop begging for acceptance, don't be a closed-minded fool who thinks only negatively about other people and cultures, and don't take what others think of you as gospel.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by eddy1977(m): 1:16am On Jul 26, 2011
another imposter trying to act like an african american.

i can smell an imposter.and the poster smells like one.

just gro a set of t e st i cles

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by kony1(m): 5:14am On Jul 26, 2011
Mfalme313:

How can't an African look down on a black American?

Stop beggin it, Africans are not going to acknowledge you. Let's be real, Africans don't give a fuk about other Africans let alone you.

You managed to produce the cliche Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks etc and you want Africans to roll out the red carpet for you, naaaah. The "mud hut" living African don't care about you, don't respect you and aren't even impressed by you.

By the way, the average African don't see the "positive images" you speak of. They see a bunch of black folks living in utter poverty, on crack, gang bangin and just out of order in a so-called developed country that happens to be the world's superpower and naturally certain people can't fathom that.

I'm not even trying to be disrespectful but I clocked you, bruv.

What i stated above is how Africans (I dealt with) perceive you. They don't give a fuk about you, no one does and same with us. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Get a slice of pie and enjoy life.

*First off kool herc was but one pioneer of hip hop. Hip hop was created by a community, most of which were black americans. If you look at history bambataa(a black american) was more important as to the development of hip hop culture and music

As to Mfalme,

Im not begging ish. Im asking a legitimate question. Africans see black americans doing all types of sh.t. Look at the first family of the united states. Look at ceos,politicians,lawyers,attorney generals,governors of states etc Black americans hold it down for the global black image. We are not perfect but we bear the burden to produce anything positive within the black community

Delusional africans need to stay far far away from the subject of media potrayal and what ya see on tv. Your image is the worst the world has to offer(literally) and is way more detrimental to the black global image than lil wayne. Give me a break

And i noticed you listed known ba figures, what does africa have beside nelson mandela or maybe desmond tutu. We have to go all through out africa from south africa to cairo just to compete with black america.smh thats 900 million vs 30 million black americans.lol
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by ima1(f): 6:15am On Jul 26, 2011
Okay this is too much especially for me that has an african father and an african american mother.

IMO i think most africans hate african americans cuz they wanna be them but they can't, but then again some african americans can be dumba**es when they try to feel like they are better than africans and i'm like guys ya'll are all black and from the same origin, so ya'll really need to get over yourselves.

@Mfalme313
Please you have no inch of idea what MLK, Malcom X and Rosa Parks did for people, so you ain't got no right calling them a cliche, you are just being foul and disrespectful to a culture you don't know S**t about.
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by pleep(m): 6:40pm On Jul 26, 2011
Should I comment or should I not comment . . . undecided

anyway some Africans look down on black Americans for the same reason some black Americans look down on Africans. No one wants to be at the bottom of the food chain grin

The reason ur on this site is to make Africans accept that black Americans are superior to them. Newsflash: thts never going to happen in a million yrs. Immagine trying to convince a.a's that Africans are better than them lol!

Anyway I'm not going to comment on this issue Anymore. (hopefully)

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by ezeagu(m): 6:49pm On Jul 26, 2011
I wouldn't say everything positive done by the African diaspora was done by Americans, for example even the Negro flag (RGB) was created by a Jamaican, Marcus Garvey, who is also the father of pan-Africanism in the Americas, and the first liberated black country was Haiti, there are other examples like uprisings and help for the African countries (like from Cuba to Angola, Haiti to Biafra, etc.).

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:27pm On Jul 26, 2011
I don't think everything that blacks have to take pride in or which represents blacks positively comes from black America. Of course there are many more things or people that one can list for black America than for any other group, but I wouldn't say the other groups did nothing positive.

In just some of the Carribean some important names come to mind:

Haiti (Toussaint Louverture) , Jamaica (Marcus Garvey, Bob Marley, Claude McKay), St. Lucia (Derek Walcott, Arthur Lewis), Trinidad (C.L.R. James), and Martinique (Frantz Fanon, Aimé Césaire).
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by ADM1(m): 8:04pm On Jul 26, 2011
Both Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa and others were instrumental in hip-hop's creation, but Kool Herc did come up with the break. Bambaataa and others then used it.

There you go again with the "I'm-better-than-you" nonsense, as if the only stuff done by black folks that's positive are in the U.S. Look at comments by ezeagu and PhysicsQED for help in knowing things.
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by kony1(m): 6:57am On Jul 27, 2011
A.D.M.:

Both Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa and others were instrumental in hip-hop's creation, but Kool Herc did come up with the break. Bambaataa and others then used it.

There you go again with the "I'm-better-than-you" nonsense, as if the only stuff done by black folks that's positive are in the U.S. Look at comments by ezeagu and PhysicsQED for help in knowing things.

Hip hop was way way more than the break beat. Bam combined graffiti,break dancing,rhyming into hip hop. And he created hip hop beats, not funk or disco like kool herc, but HIP HOP(boom bap). Bam and black americans created hip hop period. Im originally from bronx river projects same place bam is from. I know.

And i was wrong for saying the african diaspora doesnt create anything. But im just saying, black americans do the most. Compare bob marley to michael jackson for instance.
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Emmyk(m): 9:54am On Jul 27, 2011
@Op, u told you I do? Be specific pls
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:51pm On Jul 27, 2011
k.o.n.y is a source of shame for everyone. embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Mfalme313: 9:12pm On Jul 27, 2011
@k.o.n.y

Bruv, African influence is ancient, we've been doing it. It might be new to YOU. See, unlike you i don't have to limit African history to a few hundred years, we talking thousands. I'll leave you with this, till this day various EUROPEAN coat of arms have African Royal Heads printed on them (really think about that), the whole foundation of American civilization comes from Europe which in turn comes from Africans who controlled that region. You Talking about Politicians, Governors, Lawyers etc we taught them that, so who's really influencing?.

Breda, it's nothing but i still recognize your greatness.

@ima1

Come on, I'm well aware of their significance to the Black community, so it'll be stupid to down them. But i rarely hear about the likes of Father Allah, Noble Drew Ali, Marcus Garvey, Khalid Muhammad in the mass media. We can go beyond the regular mentioned AA historical figures. That's just my opinion.
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by kony1(m): 5:50am On Jul 28, 2011
Mfalme313:

@k.o.n.y

Bruv, African influence is ancient, we've been doing it. It might be new to YOU. See, unlike you i don't have to limit African history to a few hundred years, we talking thousands. I'll leave you with this, till this day various EUROPEAN coat of arms have African Royal Heads printed on them (really think about that), the whole foundation of American civilization comes from Europe which in turn comes from Africans who controlled that region. You Talking about Politicians, Governors, Lawyers etc we taught them that, so who's really influencing?.

Breda, it's nothing but i still recognize your greatness.

@ima1

Come on, I'm well aware of their significance to the Black community, so it'll be silly to down them. But i rarely hear about the likes of Father Allah, Noble Drew Ali, Marcus Garvey, Khalid Muhammad in the mass media. We can go beyond the regular mentioned AA historical figures. That's just my opinion.

Alot of that is a stretch to really qualify as "african" influence. The only reason im keeping it about modern history. Is because black americans didnt exist thousands of years ago

And how do you figure ya can go beyond black historical figures. Most of which you listed didnt even have a wikipedia page. And the one that did, said he was a black american(khalid muhammad)
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by tpia5: 6:33am On Jul 28, 2011
we nigerians will join this thread as soon as we sort out our boko haram problem.

too much going on right now at the home front.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 09, 2011
This confuses me. Black americans literally carry the african diaspora on our backs. Anything positive done by black people, in the last hundred or so years, were done by black americans. If anything africans shame us

Explain to me how an african can possibly look down on a black american, as ya often do

how can you say this. most africans live here on the african continent and have never seen or met you.
we only know you exist because we offer history and we are exposed to electronic and print media.
you see it for yourself; how can you hate some one you have never met, its imposible.
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Obiagu1(m): 8:35pm On Aug 10, 2011
I don't think Africans look down on AAs as a whole. They only look down on those dumbass among them that can't make use of all the opportunities that abound in America.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by ezeagu(m): 8:47pm On Aug 10, 2011
Africans hate you enough to send their priests to bless museum pieces dedicated to your ancestors.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-730776.0.html
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 17, 2012
lol @ the responses. grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
k.o.n.y is a source of shame for everyone. embarassed embarassed

true that! grin
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by tearjerker: 8:13pm On Jul 17, 2012
I agree with most African Americans and Africans being ignorant of each other and this can be mostly blamed on the media. Most Africans learn that African Americans are lazy, violent, and poor. This is also what white America teaches us about ourselves. Furthermore, the media only shows poor and famine stricken places of Africa.
There is a misconception that African Americans are allotted the same opportunities as their white counter parts. Here in the US, we have what is called zoning laws. These are laws that force you to attend the school in your "zone" which is usually poorly funded by the government and they can't afford good teachers. Once the USA allows equal education opportunities, then and only then will African Americans be given a fair chance to compete. Furthermore, African Americans lived in a place where it was illegal for them to read. It's important to remember that the same parents that were brought up in ignorance, also produced ignorant offspring. There's a lot of work to be done in the USA and it starts with education.

http://www.waitingforsuperman.com/action/

Now-a-days, with access to the internet and forums like this one, I don't understand why there is so much confusion between us. I would expect us as blacks to see that the most powerful weapon against us is division. Ever heard of the phrase "divide and conquer"? Black people need to stop sleeping and start building one another up for the greater good of "our" people.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
A.A'S WOULD DO THEMSLEVE A LOT OF GOOD IF THE GET SOME MORE EDUCATION. THEM NIGGIZ ARE SO DUMB. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 11, 2012
because of your arrogance and also because of that(pic) you want more?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 11, 2012
Ayo Cameroon I just made a thread for you fool, you about to get slayed properly...

https://www.nairaland.com/1015972/african-culture-just-ghetto-nasty

I can't believe you even went there, too many Uncle Tom Americans on this Site Lettin too much garbage slide...time to put you primitives in ya place

Meet me in the thread....

You can post all the pics of "ghetto" you want...I promise you Africa has "more"... wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 11, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: because of your arrogance and also because of that(pic) you want more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5h4UXUiH6Q

What's this?...You got H03s in the street shaking their azzes [size=13pt]Barefoot![/size]......LmL Dirty Feet and All....

Do you want more? Bring your Lame azz In this thread and stop ducking the Great Royal. cool

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 12, 2012
So after "liking" these videos in one thread, you "insult" them in another.

Tissokay.
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 12, 2012
Read my description of Ghetto in my Thread.

As you can see, i never put a "negative" on the word ghetto

[b]They [/b]Did

~Royal~:

i Don't know if i would really consider it bad

But for certain people to lie and claim it is not present in Africa, that's just appalling

Ghetto Culture is what it is.

Like everything else it has it's positive and negatives....both are present throughout virtually every nation in the world.

Poor Economic Positions breed Ghetto Culture

See the problem is, The media has brainwashed some of these fools into thinking "Ghetto" Means Black Culture.

So i merely toy with the primitive brainwashed cooons for my own personal enjoyment

"Ghetto" Culture exist everywhere.... all the way from Bosnia to Moscow, to the mean streets of Rio.

Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 12:08am On Aug 12, 2012
I am the Liberal Leader you never Heard Me Call Ghetto Culture "Bad"...

These Brainwashed Uppity Cooonz are the ones preaching that nonsense

Who posted the picture....Me or Cameroon?...

I am "countering" Him...not the other way around.
cool
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 2:01am On Aug 12, 2012
~Royal~:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5h4UXUiH6Q

What's this?...You got H03s in the street shaking their azzes [size=13pt]Barefoot![/size]......LmL Dirty Feet and All....

Do you want more? Bring your Lame azz In this thread and stop ducking the Great Royal. cool

that's music ...an artist performing doesn't count or i can bring tyga and lil wayne...i'm talking about real life...dude.....and i'm talking to kony too much arrogance
Re: Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 13, 2012
ima1: Okay this is too much especially for me that has an african father and an african american mother.

IMO i think most africans hate african americans cuz they wanna be them but they can't, but then again some african americans can be dumba**es when they try to feel like they are better than africans and i'm like guys ya'll are all black and from the same origin, so ya'll really need to get over yourselves.

@Mfalme313
Please you have no inch of idea what MLK, Malcom X and Rosa Parks did for people, so you ain't got no right calling them a cliche, you are just being foul and disrespectful to a culture you don't know S**t about.
ROTFLMAO!!!
These African Americans can be soo clueless @ times......smh

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lies About Oyo Empire / Current Ibo (delta Ibo/anambra) Names For Baby Boys. / Oba Of Ikeja Is Dead: Computer Village and Other Markets Shut Down!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.