Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). (1296 Views)

2 Groups Of Masquerades Seen Fighting Dirty Over An Undisclosed Issue (vid) / Onitsha Is Made Up Of 3 Groups Of People / Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by GreatBoss: 11:11pm On Jul 03, 2022
These are the Clans that make up the Ijaw Nation.

Only Egbema Clan have over 350 Villages and settlements under it.

Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by GreatBoss: 11:12pm On Jul 03, 2022
More pics.

2 Likes

Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by Maazieze(m): 10:42pm On Jul 04, 2022
Ive been wondering if the clans line up with precolonial states, but it would seem unlikely the polities would only line up with clans.

Another thing is, i thought the obolo were an ibibio subgroup, or are the cultural borders blurred enough to confuse one for the other

1 Like

Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by RedboneSmith(m): 5:55am On Jul 05, 2022
Maazieze:

Another thing is, i thought the obolo were an ibibio subgroup, or are the cultural borders blurred enough to confuse one for the other
The peculiar thing about Ijaw 'ethnic' identity is that it doesn't always align with linguistic realities. Indeed, Obolo speak a language that is a close relative of Ibibio. But they are not the only 'Ijaw' group that doesn't speak an Ijaw dialect as their mother tongue. Engenni and Epie are linguistically Edoid subgroups. Abua, Ogbia and Odual speak closely related non-Ijaw dialects collectively called Central Delta languages. Opobo is Igbo-speaking. And the Apoi of the Western Zone don't speak Ijaw, but Yoruba. Omoyele Sowore (notice the Yoruba names) comes from Apoi of the Western Zone.

1 Like

Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by Ebi2233: 6:48am On Jul 05, 2022
RedboneSmith:

The peculiar thing about Ijaw 'ethnic' identity is that it doesn't always align with linguistic realities. Indeed, Obolo speak a language that is a close relative of Ibibio. But they are not the only 'Ijaw' group that doesn't speak an Ijaw dialect as their mother tongue. Engenni and Epie are linguistically Edoid subgroups. Abua, Ogbia and Odual speak closely related non-Ijaw dialects collectively called Central Delta languages. Opobo is Igbo-speaking. And the Apoi of the Western Zone don't speak Ijaw, but Yoruba. Omoyele Sowore (notice the Yoruba names) comes from Apoi of the Western Zone.

Keep quiet.

They are all of one Ancestor.
You don't know of language loss shey?
Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by RedboneSmith(m): 7:55am On Jul 05, 2022
Ebi2233:

Keep quiet.

They are all of one Ancestor.
You don't know of language loss shey?
Eat shit, you uncomprehending buffoon. Did I argue about the validity of their ethnic cohesion? Was I not simply explaining the linguistic situation to someone who asked a question about it?

PS: They are not 'all of one Ancestor' (whatever that means). No ethnic group in the world is 'of one Ancestor', despite what their origin stories might say.

2 Likes

Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by GreatBoss: 8:57am On Jul 05, 2022
RedboneSmith:

Eat shit, you uncomprehending buffoon. Did I argue about the validity of their ethnic cohesion? Was I not simply explaining the linguistic situation to someone who asked a question about it?

PS: They are not 'all of one Ancestor' (whatever that means). No ethnic group in the world is 'of one Ancestor', despite what their origin stories might say.

Don't mistake Ijaw for your nonsense tribe.
Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by RedboneSmith(m): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2022
GreatBoss:

Don't mistake Ijaw for your nonsense tribe.

You all left the person who asked a perfectly reasonable (but apparently an uncomfortable) question to come and pile on me. grin grin grin grin

Clowns. Please, answer his/her question.

1 Like

Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 08, 2022
GreatBoss:

Ijaw is not an ethnic group rather an identity, they don't even speak a related language. In fact an average kalabari man would say he's kalabari before he'll remember "ijaw"
Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by Maazieze(m): 1:58pm On Jul 08, 2022
Think4Myself:

Ijaw is not an ethnic group rather an identity, they don't even speak a related language. In fact an average kalabari man would say he's kalabari before he'll remember "ijaw"

I don't get whats your point, ethnicities are identities, people have multiple identities, just cause some associate with their sub-clan first doesnt discredit their association with their ethnicity.

1 Like

Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by Allen102: 1:26pm On Jul 09, 2022
GreatBoss:

INC don't even know what they are doing. Smh
Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by WorWorBoy: 1:32pm On Jul 09, 2022
GreatBoss:

Whoever compose this list obviously don't know the difference between clans and communities.
I can see so many Wakirike (Okrika) communities as clans, this list is rubbish smh.

Okrika
Ogu
Bolo
Abuloma
Ogoloma
Are not clans,but kingdoms/ towns in Wakirike.
Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by UGBE634: 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2022
RedboneSmith:

what then makes one ijaw? You mean they can just wake up tommorow and say Esan is Ijaw and she will be
Re: The Groups Of People That Make Up Ijaw (photos). by RedboneSmith(m): 8:53pm On Jul 13, 2022
UGBE634:
what then makes one ijaw? You mean they can just wake up tommorow and say Esan is Ijaw and she will be
Well, if the Esan then agrees that they are Ijaw and joins Ijaw National Congress (the way Obolo and these other groups have), who are we to tell them what to do with their lives and identities? grin

(1) (Reply)

Can Anyone Post Some Ishan Phrases And Words With English Translation? / Olu Of Warri Confirmed Dead, Designate Named / African Cultural Integration : Video From TVC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.