Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,061 members, 7,953,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:29 PM

How To Discover Your Talent? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Discover Your Talent? (34592 Views)

How To Discover Your God-given Hidden Potentials / How To Discover Your Purpose / Discover Your Talent With These 5 Simple Steps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Discover Your Talent? by RiffRaff: 2:06pm On Aug 13, 2007
I have spent some time doing some soul searching about myself. I'm having problem trying finding my talent.

According to human study human being have 1 or more talent. i can't seem to find mine or could it be that I’m talentless?

can anybody here tell me what their talent is and how you discovered it? how can i discover my own talent?
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 03, 2007
Hello Riff-Raff!

I am Tosin, I just stumbled across your thread and decided to say some few things about talent.

As much as you are aware, talent is the natural potential/gift that we are endowed with by God. It's something you enjoy doing, something you've got passion for. It's a gift! The Bible says, to some He gives 2 talents, 3 talents, 5 talents etc. It is so certain that everyone of us is blessed and with diverse talents.

As for my natural abilities,  discovered that I have the natural tendency to Sing, Write, Act, Teach, Knit, Draw(Artwork) , Cook etc. All these I do with great passion, such that when I do any, It's usually with a difference! undecided cheesy

I could still remember when I was in Primary/Secondary School, I would organise "lesson" - tutorial for colleagues - my neighbours children to the extent that my parents had to get me a big blackboard & Could you believe I was receiving a monthly stipend from one of the parents. . . It was all fun then to me and i found it intereseting. This, I did till I got to my SSS 3 and finally to the University (I enjoy organising tutorials!!). I discovered that teaching was part of me!

Another talent is Artwork - drawing, calligraphy, knitting! Oops! I love that art! I could go food-less while knitting, because of my eagerness to finnishing. This too, I developed the interest while I was in primary school. I started knitting with broom I'd pick two broomsticks and knit with the wool tongue, thereafter, I got the knitting pins and now I am blessed with Knitting machine which makes my work faster and easier grin  grin.

I could go on and on with my "interests". But, what is more important here, is how you can discover to develop yours! So, my suggestions is: Think deeply again, Look out for those things you enjoy doing most, I mean things that gets your utmost interest/attention.

"If you know what your natural talents are, you can focus on developing them into strengths. And you can devote your life to work that is congruent or in harmony with your natural talents and strengths. Most likely, this will be a much better use of your time and generally make you happier, more effective, and more successful."

Once you've discovered your talent, take time to develop it. Most of the skills I noted here were discovered when I was a kid, My curiosity made me to learn greatly and I am still learning. . . .  grin

All the best.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by yse(m): 6:11pm On Oct 03, 2007
Let me tell U smthin,all these eficos ,ITKs and complex complicated people will mak U think rubbish and mess up ur 'mojo'.
There is nthin wrong if U dnt knw ur talent,dnt think too much,dnt go searchin for it cz u will never find it.
Many of d peeps with talents wot hav they done with it.Mant=y of d basket ballers is it jus bout talents or they practiced lik crazy.D singers work day and nite on thier voice.

So is talent d same thing as working hard to develop wot u want to develop
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by prettylayo(f): 7:11pm On Oct 03, 2007
Riff -Raff thanks for bringing up the topic.i think i also have the talent to sew and to write articles but i do not kno how to develop my talent in those aspects.
i think i also have the talent to sell fried yam,plantain,akara,fish ,
etc grin grin could someone help me out on how to develop this talent because for now i dont have a job and i need to do something fast shocked

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by domwas2(m): 9:13pm On Oct 03, 2007
Hi pal,
it a nice topic u rise here, but i'm really gonno tell u it a simple procedure to know where u belong to, why dont u sit down and think of what u like doing most of ur time,
for me i love reading and writing and that what i found myself doing all the time, whenever i'm watching movie i go ahead with a note pad to get in writing with the touch words of fiction i love doing it i dont know why because i found myself most of the time doing it,
why dont u go ahead and get a lead to ur pad,,,
cos of time give me a mail i'll reply u with details
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Coleslove: 9:38pm On Oct 03, 2007
You are a Riff-Raff, thats a enough Talent. Build on this and you could be best at it.

1 Like

Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by aniffy4eva(m): 10:25pm On Oct 03, 2007
@ Coleslove

You didn't have to post that.

It is better to remain silent and have people wonder if you are an idiot, rather than to open your mouth and prove to everyone you are an idiot beyond all doubt. wink

@ riff-raff

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody.
There is only one way to happiness, and that is to cease worrying things which are beyond the power of our will.

Just pray hard and listen to God speak to you, smiley

Cheers
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Nobody: 12:33am On Oct 04, 2007
Riff-Raff:

I have spent some time doing some soul searching about myself. I'm having problem trying finding my talent.

According to human study human being have 1 or more talent. i can't seem to find mine or could it be that I’m talentless?

can anybody here tell me what their talent is and how you discovered it? how can i discover my own talent?

You may have none.
grin
Just get married and make babies.
That is enough talents right there grin

don't mind me.

What do you do effortlessly ?
what do you enjoy doing ?
what do you enjoy talking to friends about ?
what lights you up when you hear it discussed ?
what do you spend time doing?

Therein lies your God given talent
And psycholgists tell us you're more likely to succeed doing what comes naturaly to you.
I don't mean what course you studied in the university.
Your talents are innate and need to be nurtured to flourish.

I have a profession I love but I also have a talent different from my profession
And I discovered it not too long ago.
We all have talents.
I'm sure you have one too.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by kaypinchi(m): 7:19am On Oct 04, 2007
@ poster

You are not alone. A lot of people out there haven't found their's, so don't lose any sleep on this esp. of you are still young. Some lucky ones are able to discover it early, others will wait till later in life and a few may never.
Some found their's, didn't recognise it & glossed over it only to continue searching. undecided
The bulb will light up one day as you are on the right track of discovery; which is asking questions.

I went for a talk earlier in the week and coincidentally, we talked about the same thing.

Here are a few highlighted tips:

1. Involve God.
2. Have self confidence & belief.
3. Set personal goals.
4. Take risks.
5. Keep the right company.

The above will bring out your inner being & potentials to play and put you on the road of discovery.

If u have close friends, think deep down to find out what they miss most about you when you are apart or what role do you play in fostering the friendship.- this is another pointer. You can then determine what you are known for and longed for.

Remember, don't see your talent solely as a tool for making money. That is very wrong.
Your talent should benefit mankind.

If you need more insight, keep on asking.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by romeo(m): 7:53am On Oct 04, 2007
Just go to school and if you become a graduate you will see your talent or you can equally learn a trade grin
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 04, 2007
I wondered why Seun deleted my initial reply to yse! I discovered that yse has been picking unnecessarily on some of my posts!

@YSE
I never meant to show off anything! But only responded to the guy's question. . . "Can anybody here tell me what their talent is and how they discovered it?". I'm still me, lowly and tender. All I've got and known is by His grace!!! I was only trying to express my discoveries, So forget that gist of yours  . . . .or is that your talent grin

cheesy
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by tayokem(m): 10:36am On Oct 04, 2007
Riff-Raff ur topic is nice
Talent is what you love doing most of the time
Jimmy Jat said he can not work in a bank or Oil company because he loves listening and playing music and now that people have started paying him for doing what he loves doing without pay(Talent!)thenm for ever he'll be doing it
Me myself i love teaching but there's no money in teaching but it's my talent so i'm contemplating getting a lecturing job in one of our universities immediately after my Masters
so look inside of you your talent is there
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by adeshsam(m): 10:46am On Oct 04, 2007
Talents are natural abilities. Special Endowments. GOD's Gifts. Everyone is talented but some are more talented than others. Being gifts, they are not what you acquire or achieve. However, you must improve on your gifts or talents.To improve, you must trade with your talent(s). You trade by using it. A latent talent is a talent not in use and so cannot improve. The effort you put in to improve your talent is not commensurate with the effort you put in to improve on those things you acquire or achieve. e.g A talented singer would naturally flow while, one that is not talented or gifted will practice hard to even make any flow if at all.

Take time to study yourself. Don't rush. Just take your time. You may be good at counseling people, helping people, making others happy. Do you find it convenient bearing the burden of others, do you have the patience to listen to others while they unbar their heart and burden? Do you find it easy to pray for others and they are healed? Do you work with tools and you find it adventurous and pleasurable? Do you find it easy to organized people, events, programmes? The list is endless. They are just gifts. Find out what yours is or are.

For more details plz do not hesitate to call me on 08063894075, 08022742425, 07028120350.

1 Like

Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 04, 2007
I once watched a movie in which someone said
"some of the most interesting people he knew didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives at 40. the most interesting of this lot still didn't know what they wanted (even after 40)"

the point is that the fact that you don't know your talent now doesn't mean it will come while you're young. you could discover it anytime. so just go ahead and do what pleases you for now and don't sit around waiting for it.

could've sworn the movie was bruce almighty. damn good movie.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Joey82(m): 11:35am On Oct 04, 2007
Nice thread here.

Still trying 2 discover my talents too cos i like doing lots of things and i'm confused on what i'm really up to.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by elphem(m): 11:56am On Oct 04, 2007
Talents can show at anytime of ones life.
I believe in what you like most of the time without laziness attached
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by sydollar(m): 12:30pm On Oct 04, 2007
I DONT BELIEVE YOU HAVE AT LEAST ONE TALENT. TALENT REALLY ABILITY, WHAT EVER YOU CAN DO, IS YOUR TALENT. YOU WERE ABLE TO WRITE BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE ABILITY, BUT THERE ARE AREAS YOU HAVE STRENGTH IN AND THAT IS CALLED YOUR CORE TALENT. FOR YOU TO DISCOVER THIS CORE, YOU HAVE TO IDENTIFY THE THINGS YOU DO WITH EASE AND LOVE TO DO. I HAVE A MODEL CALLED (PREFERENCE AND COMPETENCE MODEL TO DISCOVERY YOUR TALENT(S)).

ASK YOURSELF SOME QUESTIONS LIKE; WHAT DO I LOVE DOING? WHAT DO I DO WITH EASE.
LIST THEM AND YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO DISCOVERING YOUR TALENTS. FOR MORE DISCUSSIONS (SYDOLLAR@YAHOO.COM)

ALL THE BEST!
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by freelance(m): 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2007
I believe your true identity and talent can only be discovered through God. God has put in us what we need to be successful in life.

First of all I believe you should pray to God for direction and also for HIS purpose for you. I believe this is the first step in discovering

Your talent. I also believe that you should try and go back memory lane and play back your childhood dreams. You might also get a clue from there.

Another thing is that consider the things you love doing most and the things that when u do them gives you fulfillment. You can also consider the things you hate or things

That when you see them it touches your heart e.g. I hate seeing people sick, poor or underutilizing their potentials that has given me a clue to my Purpose in life.

Also sometimes you can desire and pursue some of your interests and then you can discover your talent.

I am sure if follow these steps then you would at least get a clue and one main key to Success and  cool Prosperity in life is discovering your talent

But really everything begins and ends with Baba GOD GBA  cheesy.

Take care and all the best. wink

Cheers! grin
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by mekoyo(m): 3:23pm On Oct 04, 2007
This is a nice topic. I'm sure it will help some of us discover our great talents with the mature and creative minds on Nairaland.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by getrich(m): 6:34pm On Oct 04, 2007
I belong to the school of thoughts that every one
should find his or her talents and potentials
more importantly in the developing world.

Because i believe one among the reasons
the advanced world is ahead of the developing
world is that most of their citizens are making
use of their potentials.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Coleslove: 10:08pm On Oct 04, 2007
aniffy4eva:

I cannot give you the formula for success, Stupid remark but I can give you the formula for failure More Stupid than i thought--which is: Try to please everybody.
There is only one way to happiness, Totally of tracks, sounds even more appalling and that is to cease worrying things which are beyond the power of our will.

Just pray hard and listen to God speak to you, smiley

Cheers

I am just tired of making much corrections in this particular post. Did you even read before making remarks
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Coleslove: 10:15pm On Oct 04, 2007
Riff-Raff

Suggestion 1: Change your name and Location. It has a way of influencing you.
Suggestion 2: What are you good at doing or enjoy doing? It could be your TALENT and you are busy searching for some outstanding or special, Whatever

I guess we can make a start with these.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by ST3V3(m): 10:19pm On Oct 04, 2007
I feel it is very easy to discover ur talent, just look deep down and fish out that thing u find urself doing naturally!

From childhood, playing drums was part of me as i never learnt it, but i didnt see it as a talent because alot of people play drums aswell and i wanted to do somthing else. but as i grew up, i realised i had the natural flexibility that alot of professional drummers train hard to acheive. Now that i call (ABILITY) which could naturally come with the talent or can be acheived through practice. Therefore i directed my ability (flexibility) towards my talents and today, im getting payed to play drums professionally.
look inwards for that thing that comes naturally, think of ways to improve on it. If its singing, get a tape recorder, record songs on your own. u will only get better.  If its playing instruments,buy more tapes,and rehearse more often.   If ur the basket mouthed type, it could be ur line, get a notebook, write down those freestyle jokes u crack when with ur mates, work on them. perhaps u could be getting payed someday to tell those jokes.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by smartsoft(m): 1:12am On Oct 05, 2007
if you can just try and do this ! believe me you would get what you looking for. before you go to bed, tell God show me the purpose of my life, show me my talent. full stop see it works for me i bet you

Like the day i was so confuse about my talent though have another prefession i prayed that fathfull day, and i slept off. i dreamt and i saw my real self in the church, saw choirs singing, i was so confused when i came in it was late and choirs well busy ministering and the keyboard was there nobody was playing the piano, so in the dream immediately i said i should touch the keyboard and play along with the choir, the keyboard fell down, and i woke up and i was so confused because i do play the piano and i don't take it serious uptill now as i'm writing to you. but when i asked my father, he happend to be pastor he told me my gift is there waiting for me, nobody is draging that from me, but it was because i'm not serious about it, that was why the piano fell off he said God was just trying to show me what he made me for.

Now each time i sleep, either i dream seeing myself in the midst of choir singing with them or i see my self in the church, so since then i understood that God has purpose for mylife and i tell you i can just stay with you and i will compose a full track. don't know how i came about it, but it just a talent. sometimes when i go for a concert, i play somethings and some other keyboardist will just look at me and shook head " hey how do you play that thing tell me please" thats the gospel truth about me, try it out and see and come back tell us the goodnews,

next year i will be having a studio and a magazine company striclty gospel also a gospel recording lable just for gospel artist alone ! first of it's kind in nigeria
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by GL(f): 5:24am On Oct 05, 2007
riff raff, you are not alone in this; i wondered myself if i was talent-less too. i still cant say i know if i have one and what it is.

ST3V3:

I feel it is very easy to discover your talent, just look deep down and fish out that thing u find yourself doing naturally!
look inwards for that thing that comes naturally, think of ways to improve on it.

what i find myself doing naturally? i think that'll be sleeping, talking, reading novels, playing PC games , can't see the talent in that
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Seun(m): 6:48am On Oct 05, 2007
@GL: Good one. However, after eating and sleeping for a few months, you'll want to do something else.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by BASETSANA(f): 8:55am On Oct 05, 2007
l discovered my talent when l was 5 years old
and my mother nurtured me and enrollled me at a gymn and ballet studio
from then l have never loooked back and l intend to make it to the olympics someday
and making gymnastics my profession
about discovering your talent Mr Poster you will ,soon enough
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by angezy2k(f): 11:54am On Oct 05, 2007
The topic is a nice one, it is true that God deposited in each and every one of us diff talents 4rm creation, but we must also note that in every step we want to take after discovering our talents,as a beleiver if i may say; u must seek the face of God, becos He said in his word that: in all our ways we shuld acknowledge His prsence and He wil direct our part.He also noted that wisdom is the principal thing, in all our geting get understanding.
One thing is vital which we must know, what ever one discover as one's potential, one must ve the passion for it,so as to come out with outstanding results.but don't forget to look unto God for leading, becos his leadin makes great leaders,don't assume u know it all or that u can't knw it,note (assumption is the mother of frustration).
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Shaunscot(m): 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2007
@poster
Hunger never wire you well well.
If hunger wire you,your talent go comot naturally.
How do you think the likes of Basketmouth and I go die discovered their talents?
How many recording artists do we have in Naija now?
Even person wey get frog voice dey realise say him get talent for music when the hunger times come.
Guy,just try dey broke, I can assure you your quest will end.
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by fiercefact(m): 12:34pm On Oct 05, 2007
I think telling people the difficulties you face in your life and making them learn from it is a talent on it's own. You like sharing your problem with people while they also learn from it? Think of a more modified and matured way about it. I know you talk too, I've seen it it in your post.
THe only prblem is what is called "FALIURE TO LAUNCH'
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by ronnieslimz(f): 2:21pm On Oct 05, 2007
Shaunscot:

@poster
Hunger never wire you well well.
If hunger wire you,your talent go comot naturally.
How do you think the likes of Basketmouth and I go die discovered their talents?
How many recording artists do we have in Naija now?
Even person wey get frog voice dey realise say him get talent for music when the hunger times come.
Guy,just try dey broke, I can assure you your quest will end.
lolzzzzzzzz!!! grin grin

u be badboi oo cheesy

roflmao!!! grin grin nairaland no go kill me ooo grin
Re: How To Discover Your Talent? by Octupus(f): 10:08pm On Oct 05, 2007
@poster,
Dont listen to all the thrash some layabouts are posting here.

Olowo Tee says it all.Read her comments again and act on them.There is no human being,born of woman,who does not have talent/s.When you discover things you have a natural aptitude for,they lead you to your talents.You can make a living off your talents if you develop and sharpen them,and of course if there is a market for them.Many people are making a living in areas outside of their natural talents,but it is tougher this way.

I wish u all the best.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Your Advice On Whether To Relocate To Canada Or Start Poultry Farm / What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? / PHED Office Uyo Laced With Juju As Staffs Dessert Office(picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.