Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? (1244 Views)

What Is LT Wallet And How Can I Benefit From Its Airdrop? / Goldman Sachs Suddenly Issued A Crypto Price Warning After Huge Bitcoin Crash / Corgi Doge Just Got Listed On Trust Wallet And It Will Make You Rich Sharp Sharp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Freelancerx: 10:12am On Jul 08, 2022

Buying cryptocurrency is not enough, you need a safe place to keep it. Unlike traditional money, you cannot store crypto in the wallet you carry around in your pockets, you will need a special crypto wallet.

What Is a Crypto Wallet?

A crypto wallet can either be a software program or a physical device that allows you to store your crypto and make transactions through it. A crypto wallet can come in the form of a hardware wallet that looks like a USB stick or a mobile application like the Coinbase Wallet.

Security and storage are some of the biggest concerns when it comes to investing in crypto. If you are not careful, you might lose the currency you are holding. That is where crypto wallets come into the picture.

A crypto wallet is equipped with two sets of keys: a private key and a public key. The public key is like an address that is used by the sender to send crypto to your wallet. On the other hand, the private key is like the password to your safe deposit box in which you have stored the crypto. Anyone who has access to the private key will be able to make transactions with the crypto that you own. That is why the private key needs to be kept very carefully.

How Does a Crypto Wallet Work?

Like everything related to cryptocurrencies, the workings of a crypto wallet are also associated with the blockchain network. Blockchain is a public database that stores crypto-related data in the form of blocks. These blocks contain records of all crypto transactions and the owners of the respective keys. The software inside a crypto wallet stores these addresses and allows the holders of the crypto to make transactions with the currencies that they own.

It is very important to get the addresses right when you are sending crypto to someone. For example, if you are sending Bitcoin to a Bitcoin Cash address, your crypto and the respective funds will be misplaced.

Types of Crypto Wallets

Crypto wallets can either be hot, software wallets, which are connected to the Internet, or cold which offers an offline storage system. These wallets are categorized into the following types based on the underlying technology and the degree of safety offered by them.

Hosted Wallets

These are the most popular crypto hot wallets because of their ease of use. When you buy crypto using a third-party app like Coinbase, the currency is automatically held in a hosted wallet. These are called hosted because the service provider keeps your crypto safe for you. Keeping your crypto in a hosted wallet is a great option for people who tend to forget their passwords because the host will preserve your crypto, even if you forget your private keys. However, you would not be able to utilize all the features of your crypto when you keep it in a hosted wallet.

Self-Custody Wallets

A self-custody wallet gives you greater control over the crypto that you are holding because there is no third-party acting as the custodian. However, with great power comes great responsibility and you have to bear the burden of remembering your private key. Self-custody wallets are hot wallets that allow you to engage in advanced activities like yield farming, staking of crypto and lending and borrowing apart from the regular buy-sell transactions.

Hardware Wallets

This is a form of a cold wallet and is like a physical device resembling a large USB drive. Beginners are usually skeptical to use hardware wallets because they are complicated and expensive. However, if you can keep the private keys safe, hardware wallets are the most secure because they can keep your crypto intact even if your computer is hacked.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/investing/crypto/what-is-a-crypto-wallet/
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by AyodejiFelix(m): 10:40am On Jul 08, 2022
Thank you for sharing.
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by ItrendNaija(m): 12:10pm On Jul 08, 2022
How can I get a hardware wallet? Are they safer than hosted wallets?
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Niswayne19: 12:24pm On Jul 08, 2022
ItrendNaija:

I haven’t used a hardware wallet before so can’t really say. But for the past few years since I started trading crypto I use hosted wallets like Binance, KuCoin and Yellow card. I haven’t had any issue with these exchange platform but I am always security conscious which everybody should when using any crypto wallet.
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Qre1: 5:06pm On Jul 08, 2022
How binary options automated Trading robots works . It is fully automated as seen

Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by scarycuteface(m): 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2022
So that means apps like Yellow Card are using hosted wallets.
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Realboygenius(m): 11:08pm On Jul 10, 2022
This is really interesting
Thanks OP for the information
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Tanybeen: 1:46am On Jul 11, 2022
This is very interesting!
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by hexenbiest: 8:36am On Jul 11, 2022
Thanks for sharing, I hodl crypto on two of the safest wallet in Nigeria: Paxful and Yellowcard.
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by JohnAlfred: 3:15pm On Jul 13, 2022
How you can make money with your smart phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QKEDw910JE
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by AyodejiFelix(m): 6:02am On Jul 14, 2022
This is well detailed. One can say YELLOWCARD uses Hosted wallet.
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Goldbw122(m): 6:28pm On Jul 17, 2022
hexenbiest:
Thanks for sharing, I hodl crypto on two of the safest wallet in Nigeria: Paxful and Yellowcard.
Pls I want to understand something when you hodl, if Bitcoin goes up and down will it affect your value on paxful and YellowCard?
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Theanyanwu: 6:32pm On Jul 17, 2022
Thanks for sharing this. This time around I don't know which wallet to trust sef. Though I heard this new one, Yellowcard is good.
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Theanyanwu: 6:33pm On Jul 17, 2022
hexenbiest:
tell me more about yellow card pls
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Xenisha: 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2022
Hi guys! I want to share with you about the Boss Track which is designed to remove the hassle of tracking and monitoring your DeFi portfolio. I can also say that web3 portfolio tracker is very convenient and modern. Track your BSC and Ethereum wallets for free, connect multiple wallets at the same time, and track the overall performance of your DeFi portfolio.
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Chukatabra: 9:29pm On Feb 23, 2023
Wallets, which are an integral part of cryptocurrency, are something that every active trader of cryptocurrency makes use of regularly. Hence, it is important for you as a novice to understand how wallet addresses work, since it is a vital tool during crypto transfer.

This article discusses in detail what a wallet address means, its type and its functions: https://blog.bitmama.io/what-is-a-wallet-address/
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Chukatabra: 10:26pm On Jun 01, 2023
A wallet address is simply a unique address that identifies your blockchain account. Basically, it is also called a public wallet address. A wallet address allows you to receive crypto associated with that account and also check the amount of crypto stored in that account.

This guy really enlightened me when I had no clue - https://blog.bitmama.io/what-is-a-wallet-address-and-how-do-i-find-it/
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Akposkiz: 9:07am On Jun 02, 2023
Thanks for sharing!
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by TreasureHunter(m): 6:35pm On Jul 04, 2023
ItrendNaija:

From what I heard hardware wallets are the safest but you must never buy a used one. You must always buy it brand new from the manufacturer
Re: What Is A Crypto Wallet And How Does It Work? by Chukatabra: 12:24am On Nov 05, 2023
I actually prefer http://bitmama.io/ and use their wallets. They've served me really well.

You can check this article they wrote about crypto wallets - https://blog.bitmama.io/what-are-the-different-types-of-cryptocurrency-wallets/

(1) (Reply)

A Public Offer You Cannot Refuse / Get The Latest Nse News From Www.naijalowa.com / How Real Is Www.i-naira.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.