Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,745 members, 7,813,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

S African Twitter Users Save Woman From Suicide - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / S African Twitter Users Save Woman From Suicide (587 Views)

S-african Women Married To Nigerians Threaten Protest / Wife Saves Husband From Suicide By Holding Onto His Boxers / Wife Saves Her Husband From Suicide By Holding His Boxers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

S African Twitter Users Save Woman From Suicide by billante(m): 12:42am On Aug 02, 2011
JOHANNESBURG: A South African woman who posted suicidal messages on Twitter was saved by people on the web who saw her tweets, tried to track her down and convince her not to harm herself, media said Monday.

A woman only identified as Gina and a mother of two from Durban began making suicide threats on Friday, the Star newspaper reported.

The most alarming tweets had all been deleted by Monday, but South African website Memeburn, which follows Internet news, said she posted a series of messages including: "Please don't save me, I just didn't want to die alone."

"Asking God almighty to forgive my final sin, love my angels, forgive my humanity, take my pain away," read another.

Alarmed Twitter followers responded, mobilising to help find the woman in an attempt to prevent her from carrying out the suicide while tweeting messages of love and support.

Twitter users re-tweeted the woman's cellphone number and home address details in an effort to trace her.

Two friends in Durban even drove around in the hope of locating her through smartphone geopositioning, Memeburn said.

Police and Netcare 911 were also called as events unfolded.

After several hours, the woman was found and her father reported that she was safe.

"Gina is safe at home, and while she is very upset, we are going to try and get her the help she needs. She has been through some difficult things lately, having lost her job and custody of her two children through divorce, as well as battling depression for a long time," he told The Star.

The woman announced that she was closing her account on Saturday.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/social-media/S-African-Twitter-users-save-woman-from-suicide-Reports/articleshow/9446245.cms

Naija no fit send or put up dis kind effort

(1) (Reply)

Get Your A Copy Of The Ebook On How To Select The Gender Of Your Unborn Child. / Are U Not Making Enough Money 4rm Ur Internet Biz? Seek Spiritual Help Now. / Is Ur Marriage/relationship Shaking Or Seriously In Trouble? Talk To Us Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.