Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo (1918 Views)

Nigeria Can’t Borrow N1.1 Trillion To Meet ASUU’s Demand – Umahi / FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS / IPPIS: ASUU Says FG Can’t Frighten Them With Salary Stoppage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by oriskenny16: 9:50pm On Aug 05, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsT_Y9PY_t4

FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, on Friday said it was unrealistic for the Federal Government to borrow money to end the months-long strike embarked by the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

He made the comment while speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today.

“Should we go and borrow to pay N1.2 trillion yearly?

“You cannot allow one sector of the economy to hold you by the jugular and then blackmail you to go and borrow N1.2 trillion for overheads when our total income would be about N6.1 trillion. And you have roads to build, health centres to build, other sectors to take care of.”

12 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Toneypen247(m): 9:50pm On Aug 05, 2022
H

9 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Emmamay10: 10:04pm On Aug 05, 2022
But FG can borrow money to buy N1.4b SUVs for Niger Republic. You people need to think inward.

18 Likes 10 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by danjumaisah: 10:06pm On Aug 05, 2022
Seriously, I don't see the reason why anybody with his right thinking sense will vote for APC.
A government full of propaganda,

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by dangerousd071: 10:08pm On Aug 05, 2022
You kneel to beg ASUU why can't you guys all of collecting fat salaries give up to revive the issue on grand at list for once giving back to the community that makes you people as thive Nigeria reach he never benefit from you people

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by favourobaro90: 10:19pm On Aug 05, 2022
I know Festus keyamo as a fighter, a great activist, fighting for the injustice against poor mass. Surprisingly he changed, I still can't believe this.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by raheemislamiyah: 10:22pm On Aug 05, 2022
Because your children are not schooling in Nigeria that's why, God will surely punish u people one after the others

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Steven809: 10:24pm On Aug 05, 2022
The caricature of education in Nigeria, amongst its long list of failures yet the APC wants to continue from fire wood frying pot into the incinerator in 2023. God forbid Bat � thing.
#PeterObi #OBIdatti #Obidient

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by kafassamuel007: 10:25pm On Aug 05, 2022
I don't blame this government,I blame senses Nigerians that will vote for APC comes 2023... he's kneel down on national TV to beg ASUU while their childrens study abroad, most of them posted their children graduation pics on social media...who is fooling who

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Samuel089: 10:34pm On Aug 05, 2022
Comedian, lectures will eat your begging, senseless people with out conscience

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by isaaudugeidam: 10:37pm On Aug 05, 2022
FG keeps shooting itself on the foot. It claims it has no money but keeps throwing money around for all to see. How can ASUU take them seriously? If you say that you have no funds, kindly act like it. Nigerians are wiser.

3 Likes

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Panda7(m): 11:59pm On Aug 05, 2022
oriskenny16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsT_Y9PY_t4

FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, on Friday said it was unrealistic for the Federal Government to borrow money to end the months-long strike embarked by the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

He made the comment while speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today.

“Should we go and borrow to pay N1.2 trillion yearly?

“You cannot allow one sector of the economy to hold you by the jugular and then blackmail you to go and borrow N1.2 trillion for overheads when our total income would be about N6.1 trillion. And you have roads to build, health centres to build, other sectors to take care of.”
even secondary schools are being occupied and used by nigerian police force, how can they fund the three tiers of education? they should rather look at WHO to fund their education
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by seankafor(m): 7:21am On Aug 06, 2022
Why can't people and comments on front page be done with a little application of brain and logic..

Most people here comment based on hatred and unpatriotism..

How can ASUU which we all know has corrupt and incompetent lecturers be asking for 1.2 trillion together with their rubbish utas..

I am a student and I don't mind if the gorvenment holds their ground until whatever time those old men decides it's over.. I don't even know why those guys haven't even be sacked up till now..

ASUU is a very selfish and useless organization.. their demands are borne out of selfishness..

Their requests are meere dreams and fantasy..

Why would they ask to use utas when their mates are using ipps.. are they sacred cows?

They should fvck off  angry

1 Like

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by seankafor(m): 7:22am On Aug 06, 2022
dangerousd071:
You kneel to beg ASUU why can't you guys all of collecting fat salaries give up to revive the issue on grand at list for once giving back to the community that makes you people as thive Nigeria reach he never benefit from you people
can you vouch that those old douchebags lecturers will utilize these funds when given to them?

Those old for nothing lecturers that still uses 1990 note to recite on lecture halls
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by irynterri(f): 8:22am On Aug 06, 2022
But they can borrow millions of dollars to build trains that can't operate because of banditry. Nigerians vote right...
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Jman06(m): 8:31am On Aug 06, 2022
ASUU is not asking government to borrow 1.1 trillion naira before they can call off the strike!

What's wrong with these politicians sef??! Are they that daft to think or just being mischievous

This ASUU strike is easy to resolve at this point but those in government are just too daft to see the easy way out.

You set a committee and proposals for salary adjustments were made. Since then, you left the union in the dark without doing anything.

I personally know what the present ASUU strike is about but let the politicians keep pretending like they don't know.
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by christejames(m): 8:44am On Aug 06, 2022
But they can borrow 1.4billion to buy V8 SUV vehicles to fight their purported terrorists in Niger? shocked
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by sinkhole: 9:33am On Aug 06, 2022
seankafor:
Why can't people and comments on front page be done with a little application of brain and logic..

How can ASUU which we all know has corrupt and incompetent lecturers be asking for 1.2 trillion together with their rubbish utas..

I am a student and I don't mind if the gorvenment holds their ground until whatever time those old men decides it's over.. I don't even know why those guys haven't even be sacked up till now..

ASUU is a very selfish and useless organization.. their demands are borne out of selfishness..

Why would they ask to use utas when their mates are using ipps.. are they sacred cows?

It is clear you have been misinformed by your bosses, Keyamo and Co!
ASUU agreed with the government (they did not ask nor forced government) to spend a total of about 1.2trillion naira on education, this fund, they agreed, will be spread over many years (which means it will be released in chunks of billions per year). The 1.2 trillion naira is never to be given to ASUU but to the Governing Councils of the Universities to manage.

Keyamo also misinformed you gullible people that ASUU has 50% of the total Federal wage bill. This is laughable and we are waiting for those fact checkers to confirm this!

You said their UTAS is rubbish but the FG themselves had passed UTAS through series of tests and we all saw the results. Please, where is the result of IPPIS test?
The way every Nigerian politicians abandoned Nigerian tertiary institutions and healthcare system for the foreign one, the same way they want to abandon locally made UTAS for foreign IPPIS where they will be paying millions of dollars to maintain every month!

If education is a priority in this country, what ASUU is asking for is similar to the report below:
The Federal Government has disbursed N1.24tn to 4.21 million enterprises through the Bank of Industry in six years, the latest report on disbursements by the bank showed.

https://punchng.com/fg-disburses-n1-24tn-to-4-21m-enterprises-report/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1659763988

APC and people in APC are devil's incarnate who have absolutely no love for Nigeria at all!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Tobijays: 9:44am On Aug 06, 2022
seankafor:

even government pays the 1.2 trillion today ASUU can come tomorrow and say they want prado for ther lecturers and go on strike. Student should get ready for high fees
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by roseIyn(f): 10:12am On Aug 06, 2022
sinkhole:
ASUU agreed with the government (they did not ask nor forced government) to spend a total of about 1.2trillion naira on education, this fund, they agreed, will be spread over many years (which means it will be released in chunks of billions per year). The 1.2 trillion naira is never to be given to ASUU but to the Governing Councils of the Universities to manage.

Keyamo also misinformed you gullible people that ASUU has 50% of the total Federal wage bill. This is laughable and we are waiting for those fact checkers to confirm this!

You said their UTAS is rubbish but the FG themselves had passed UTAS through series of tests and we all saw the results. Please, where is the result of IPPIS test?
The way every Nigerian politicians abandoned Nigerian tertiary institutions and healthcare system for the foreign one, the same way they want to abandon locally made UTAS for foreign IPPIS where they will be paying millions of dollars to maintain every month!

APC and people in APC are devil's incarnate who have absolutely no love for Nigeria at all!
you haven't Stoll answered seanokafor's question which appears to be the main cause of this strike.
Why are other federal civil servants in other MDA's and agencies still using IPPIS for decades of years now but they aren't coming but all of a sudden IPPIS suddenly became an issue to university lecturers alone.
Why isn't NASU also complaining of IPPIS but they're pressing home another demands that needs to be addressed.
So you see there is something really fishy about ASUU's demands and it's borne out of selfish interests if not they wouldn't have kept the students at home and stagnated their careers all because of selfish reasons.
After FG meet una demands self, una go still go class go dey form bosses for students.
Na thunder go fire all of una.
2013 strike that affected me comes afresh in my mind.

1 Like

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by sinkhole: 10:26am On Aug 06, 2022
roseIyn:
you haven't Stoll answered seanokafor's question which appears to be the main cause of this strike.
Why are other federal civil servants in other MDA's and agencies still using IPPIS for decades of years now but they aren't coming but all of a sudden IPPIS suddenly became an issue to university lecturers alone.
Why isn't NASU also complaining of IPPIS but they're pressing home another demands that needs to be addressed.
So you see there is something really fishy about ASUU's demands and it's borne out of selfish interests if not they wouldn't have kept the students at home and stagnated their careers all because of selfish reasons.
After FG meet una demands self, una go still go class go dey form bosses for students.
Na thunder go fire all of una.
2013 strike that affected me comes afresh in my mind.
Are you a civil servant on IPPIS?
Please, interact with ordinary civil servants that are on IPPIS to get answer to your question!

Everybody in the Federal University system is complaining about IPPIS, but just to spite ASUU they rushed themselves into it and they are now bitterly complaining, that is why all of them are now on strike.
ASUU from the beginning refused joining because they know that once you are in, to come out will be almost impossible.

Do you know that Federal Colleges of Education are also on strike and one of the issues is that they want IPPIS out?

As for other MDAs, they have been complaining with nobody answering them and they are afraid of going on strike. There have been many posts, here on Nairaland, showing many of these complains!

If education is a priority in this country, what ASUU is asking for is similar to the report below:
The Federal Government has disbursed N1.24tn to 4.21 million enterprises through the Bank of Industry in six years, the latest report on disbursements by the bank showed.

https://punchng.com/fg-disburses-n1-24tn-to-4-21m-enterprises-report/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1659763988

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by janvier27(m): 11:07am On Aug 06, 2022
It's so disappointing to see Keyamo's foolery and arrogance in that interview. That's the person to sell APC? Haba, those who know him should advise him that manner of communication matters. I've always had high regard for him but he disappointed me in that channels interview.
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by janvier27(m): 11:15am On Aug 06, 2022
In my opinion, Seun Okinbaloye has been doing a great job without really taking sides. He stands out among his peers for a doing a balance job. I think he also deserves commendation on how he has been able to keep the education crisis as a top issue in news.
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by VladimirPutiin(m): 11:53am On Aug 06, 2022
favourobaro90:
I know Festus keyamo as a fighter, a great activist, fighting for the injustice against poor mass. Surprisingly he changed, I still can't believe this.

Money and power came into play. Same thing happened with Oshiomhole. Gani whom used to be Keyamo will looking at him with disdain right now.
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by Holybaddo: 12:45pm On Aug 06, 2022
The Only source of income Buhari know is to Borrow
Anyway it in his blood
Most beggers are fulanis

No mention my name oo
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by phineas: 1:56pm On Aug 06, 2022
ASUU is filled with unpatriotic jerks

I have another question for pro ASUU people.Have you heard of the tetfund? Care to tell is where it fits in ASUU demands and its status till date?

I'm not expecting too much to hope ASUU has fine details on this am I?
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by dododawa1: 3:27am On Aug 07, 2022
favourobaro90:
Only constant is CHANGE
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by bigpicture001: 5:02am On Aug 07, 2022
sinkhole:

U said ASUU didn't ask for the 1.2tr. but the money shld be given to the varsity governing council.... Who runs the university governing council then.. who..?

ASUU is a very selfish body... Tell me who would they go on a seven months strike to force the government to raise theiir retirement age from 65 to 70 years under Jonathan...?

Is it not pay they want..? I'd the FG not paying u your salaries.? What are you fighting your employers payment system who fishes out fake workers and created yours..?

Who gave. U the right to determine what technologies to employ to pay u your salaries..?

ASUU are bunch of thieves... And the FG is very correct with it's treatment of the body.. just that innocent students are caught in the power play
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by sinkhole: 6:32am On Aug 07, 2022
bigpicture001:

U said ASUU didn't ask for the 1.2tr. but the money shld be given to the varsity governing council.... Who runs the university governing council then.. who..?

ASUU is a very selfish body... Tell me who would they go on a seven months strike to force the government to raise theiir retirement age from 65 to 70 years under Jonathan...?

Is it not pay they want..? I'd the FG not paying u your salaries.? What are you fighting your employers payment system who fishes out fake workers and created yours..?

Who gave. U the right to determine what technologies to employ to pay u your salaries..?

ASUU are bunch of thieves... And the FG is very correct with it's treatment of the body.. just that innocent students are caught in the power play
University Governing Councils are run by a prominent person from outside the University appointed by the Federal Government, in the person of a pro-chancellor. The VC is a member of the Council while other members comprise of people from within and outside of the University community!
I have below, a description of the Governing Councils for you to peruse (if you need the full article, send me your mail and I will send you).

An Extract from the article
The ex-officio members consist of the Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellors and one person from the Federal Ministry of Education. These are all members of the Council by virtue of their offices. All other members are non-ex- officio members. On the other hand, External members of Council consist of the Pro-Chancellor, the Representative of the Federal Ministry of Education and the four other members representing a variety of interests appointed by the National Council of Ministers. All other members of Council, including the Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Vice-Chancellors, are normally referred to as internal members of Council. These are members and representatives of the University Community in Council.

Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by bigpicture001: 7:09am On Aug 07, 2022
sinkhole:
University Governing Councils are run by a prominent person from outside the University appointed by the Federal Government, in the person of a pro-chancellor. The VC is a member of the Council while other members comprise of people from within and outside of the University community!
I have below, a description of the Governing Councils for you to peruse (if you need the full article, send me your mail and I will send you).

An Extract from the article

Bro I am a lecturer at a federal university.... The university governing council is run by the vice Chancellor of a university ND his team of university political appointees.... Which also includes the voiceless SUG president....

HV u heard about a passive member of an organization..? Just like the queen of England..? That's what the usually very old , non knowledgeable ND almost non contributory first class Kings are to the varsities...
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by sinkhole: 7:23am On Aug 07, 2022
bigpicture001:

Bro I am a lecturer at a federal university.... The university governing council is run by the vice Chancellor of a university ND his team of university political appointees.... Which also includes the voiceless SUG president....

HV u heard about a passive member of an organization..? Just like the queen of England..? That's what the usually very old , non knowledgeable ND almost non contributory first class Kings are to the varsities...
Day-to-day affairs of the University is different from the Governing Council roles in the University! The role of Governing Councils is like the role of a president in a country, if a GC chairman is lazy and dormant just like the current President of Nigeria is very lazy and dormant, then all the subordinates will be doing as they like.
Again, Chancellor is different from Pro-chancellor and those are different from Vice-Chancellor: Pro-Chancellors must physically attend Council meetings and infact, Chairs the meeting. The Chancellors are the old inactive Royal Fathers!
Are you now saying that it is the fault of ASUU if the Governing Councils fail to perform their functions?
Re: FG Can’t Borrow N1.1trn To End ASUU Strike – Festus Keyamo by bigpicture001: 8:07am On Aug 07, 2022
sinkhole:

Day-to-day affairs of the University is different from the Governing Council roles in the University! The role of Governing Councils is like the role of a president in a country, if a GC chairman is lazy and dormant just like the current President of Nigeria is very lazy and dormant, then all the subordinates will be doing as they like.
Again, Chancellor is different from Pro-chancellor and those are different from Vice-Chancellor: Pro-Chancellors must physically attend Council meetings and infact, Chairs the meeting. The Chancellors are the old inactive Royal Fathers!
Are you now saying that it is the fault of ASUU if the Governing Councils fail to perform their functions?

Yes it is. Thier function.... They are paid for it.. and should do exactly what they aare paid for.. come to school and see so many senior lecturers usually rushing to nearby private varsities to meet up thier classes but visits thier host fed govt. Varsities close to exams.. and jam-pack loads of courses to the student to understand just few weeks to exams..

These one are among those clamouring FG , FG... The coruption in the school system is. More that at the presidency..

The main ppl that teaches with their hearts out are only the junior lecturers, e. G lecturers ii and graduate assistance... Only very few of the senior guyz take teaching seriously.. it's all about how to share dept due, tax student attend meetings on how to form political alliance and climb favouritism ladder...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transfer To Unilorin / Waec Gce 'commerce' / ASUU Strike: Announcement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.