Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,154 members, 7,852,938 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:44 AM

The Thing I Most Dreaded. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Thing I Most Dreaded. (296 Views)

The Thing About You / Mystery Murder Games: Trials> DREADED LANDS / The Thing Between My Legs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Thing I Most Dreaded. by Prince12Eddie(m): 8:01pm On Aug 12, 2022
Good evening everyone!

I do hope y'all had a wonderful day.

There's alot to learn and unlearn from this write up.

It's a fictional write up tho...

But it portrays the kind of society we live in.

You wouldn't wanna skip this!

I'm open to hire, short term and long term jobs.

Edidiong Uwah

© 2022.

Being accused of a crime I never committed is one of the things I most dreaded.

Immediately I completed my primary school education, I gained admission into a private secondary school.

I had to live with my aunty because the school was closer to her house. My aunty treated me like her biological son, because of this, I was able to rapport with her children as siblings should.

My junior sister joined me when I was in Jss3 class, she started JSS1 class. Anytime we would go home to our parents, especially on break... She would tell our parents about the goodness of our aunty.

But this kindness was short-lived, something happened towards the end of my SS1, it changed my aunty's perspective about me, and in extension, my sister.

I don't think there's any joy in trying to tarnish someone's image.

There was this group of guys that never wanted to set their eyes on me, reason being that I never toed their paths.

Our teachers always commended my lifestyle whenever they were to be disciplined for misbehaving. That alone increased their hatred towards me. They were behind my setback.

On a fateful afternoon, someone's money got missing in the class, the lady cried and she walked up to my class teacher to report issue. She was an half cast and so her case was treated with all amount of seriousness.

Minutes of grace elapsed for the thief to bring out the money, the search begun. All the bags were taken to the front of the class and searched thoroughly by the teachers. Amidst the search, all the pockets and wallets of we, the students were ransacked.

Some minutes into the search... a bag was lifted up in the air, "who is the owner of this black bag" my class teacher asked.

I didn't bother looking at the bag because I knew I didn't take the money. I was still discussing with my bossom friend when he tapped my shoulders.

"Prince, look up! That should be your school bag, right?" Perplexed, I raised up my eyes, lo and behold, it was my school bag. I couldn't believe my eyesight.

By this time, my class teacher had pronounced a double punishment for the thief, because he or she chose to keep the class waiting. Reluctantly, I moved out to the front of the class, bewildered.

The entire class was disoriented, my colleagues began to mutter some words. I could see the shock on my teachers faces, especially that of my class teacher, as I stepped out to the front of the class.

I was known for my good behavior, moral decadence and uprightness, nobody would have thought that I would be the thief in this case.

The teachers apologised to the lady whose money was stolen. The money was in foreign currency, 2 dollars, which made it easier for it to be found and traced as hers.

All my claims of being innocent of the theft were useless, my pleas were futile, even my class teacher's hands were tight, he couldn't help me, though he would have loved to.

The School management was very strict with cases involving theft, I was doomed.

Two days after, the case was announced. I stood before the entire school at the chapel hall, I was declared a thief and treated as one.

I received 18 unforgettable strokes of the cane, I cried uncontrollably, not because of the pains... but because I was innocent. I was given a three weeks suspension, with an immediate effect. And I was to pay a fine of #10K there after.

I got to my class, packed my belongings. I was about leaving when the lady who's money was recovered, ran towards me. "Please, I am sorry, it's all my fault, I shouldn't have brought dollars to class, I am truly sorry" she said amidst tears. I didn't reply a word, I just left the class. She was my very good friend, I just hope she believed I wouldn't take her money.

I got home on time. I met my aunty in the house, I walked past her without uttering a word. She was surprised that I arrived home on time and without my sister.

She enquired... I showed her the letter, without saying a word, I left for my room.
In the evening hours, she called all of us out to the sitting room. My cousins, her biological children were present.

I told her everything that had befallen me. I emphasized that I was innocent of the crime.
But to my amusement, she flared up.

"What useless innocence are you talking of, if you were innocent, you wouldn't be sent home! Look young man, begin to search for the 10K, because I have no money to give to you. Infact! Go and bring the money I gave to you as pocket money, it will be used in the payment".

"I can't believe I harboured a thief in my home.
And please! Don't teach my kids nonsense!" She concluded as she stormed out of the sitting room.

I began to have issues with my aunty thereafter.
Her kids used the medium to frustrate me and by extension, my sister.

They would pick her money and spend it cowardly. Once she found out some money was missing, she wouldn't bother to ask questions, she would beat the living hell outta me, she would as well starve me for days.

Many atimes I would trek to and fro school, my aunty wasn't bothered. Previledges I did enjoy were been cut off. I was treated like an outcast. My parents knew about all these, but they couldn't help. I had to stay with her if I needed to complete my secondary school education.

Few days to our Weac exams, I got to know the truth.

One early morning, a colleague of mine walked up to me, he said he had something important to tell me. He had given his life to Christ few days back, he decided to confess something to me.

I got to know that he were amongst those that programmed my downfall some years back. On that day, they took the money from the lady's bag.They located my bag and hid the money in my bag pack.

"We did it because you always acted like the best student in the school, we needed to put an end to the constant praises and commendations you got from the staff. I am really sorry, please forgive me" he concluded.

I couldn't believe my ears, I began to weep, the memories were still fresh in my head. The most hurting aspect was, my aunty never relented in making life miserable for me.

For years, I suffered for a crime I never committed.
I was innocent after all!

Please in all we do, we should try not to tarnish one another's image, rather we should work on ourselves to be the best we can.

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Managing Your Time Effectively. / Earn Up To 300k Monthly Writing Short Stories @ #5 - #10 Per Word / Quillbot Premium Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.