Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students (1265 Views)

ASUU Strike: FG Withdraws `No Work No Pay’ Threat / ASUU Finally Reacts To FG's "No work, No Pay" Policy / ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by sinkhole: 10:08am On Aug 19, 2022
Government 'No Work, No Pay' and Lecturers' No Pay, No Work in Arrears

Minister of Education said lecturers would not be paid their 6 months withheld salaries. It is very unfortunate that the Minister does not understand the operations of the ministry he is heading. The implications are far reaching and I will state some of them here:

1. Spilled-over students whose results are yet to get approval from Senate would not be attended to because these are academic works in arrears (2021/2022 session) that government does not want to pay for. So, no graduation.

2. Final year students who have written exams or yet to write will remain on campus because their scripts will not be marked and the outstanding semester exams will not be conducted. These are academic works in arrears (2021/2022) that government does not want to pay for.

3. For other levels (1 to 3 or to 5), each student should be ready for extra one year or semester as the case may be. If exams have been conducted for second semester, then those students have one semester more. But if results of first semester have not been released, then one extra year. This is because no academic works in arrears would be attended to because government does not want to pay to them.

4. As long as final year students are not graduated, no new intakes and the ripple implication is that JAMB will continue to have backlogs of students waiting to be admitted.

4. The summary of this is that all 2021/2022 session academic works in arrears will not be attended to because they are all works in arrears that government want lecturers to do without without being paid for.

So, it is very unreasonable for government to state that lecturers will not be paid withheld salaries. Lecturers job is not like any ministry job. Adamu Adamu need to get that into his skull.

For parents, stakeholders and students, one does not need to explain further the implications of all this. So, it appears that government is winning the battles but not the war.

©Osuala, U.S.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 10:11am On Aug 19, 2022
this one strong pass me..

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Youngwiz71(m): 10:15am On Aug 19, 2022
It is well

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 19, 2022
ASUU went on a senseless 6months strike....delaying the students and fighting for their own pocket

All of a sudden,they want the FG to pay for d 6months they didn't work for
Haba
Who does that?
I'm with d FG on this
No work No pay
FG are not running a charity organization abeg

I'm a Final year student and if not for this stupid senseless strike,I should be preparing for my final exams now
5years for Elect/Elect is turning to 7 years already
6months down the drain
Already 27 years

Education in Nigeria is pure trash!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 19, 2022
Even some working dont get paid too ....
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Eleyigidgan: 10:42am On Aug 19, 2022
Jammjam:
ASUU went on a senseless 6months strike....delaying the students and fighting for their own pocket

All of a sudden,they want the FG to pay for d 6months they didn't work for
Haba
Who does that?
I'm with d FG on this
No work No pay
FG are not running a charity organization abeg

I'm a Final year student and if not for this stupid senseless strike,I should be preparing for my final exams now
5years for Elect/Elect is turning to 7 years already
6months down the drain
Already 27 years

Education in Nigeria is pure trash!
students should plan an enmasse attack on ASUU members.
they need to be taught the language of violence

7 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 19, 2022
Eleyigidgan:

It's really depressing to be honest,Education in Nigeria is long dead.....The emotional stress,the trauma.....Now,as soon as these Stupid ASUU finish fighting for their pocket n eventually wins
Students are asked to return to the classroom and those sadist lecturers will now start their own wahala
Now as a Final year student,being on strike for a whole 6/7months
How do u expect me to cope now....Like seriously

70% of students will just have to "runz" their way through to d final session and the yearly half baked graduates the Nigerian Universities produce are back in full force

I'm already 27,likely to graduate at 29,NYSC till 30 and when i eventually start job hunting,they tell me I'm already old for employment
Its really depressing being a student in Nigeria
ASUU is not making it easy for the FG,all they fight for is their own pocket and gains without thinking of the student's future
ASUP don't even go to strike as much as ASUU does
In my own opinion,A nationwide mass protest should be held and ASUU should be disbanded

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Eleyigidgan: 11:06am On Aug 19, 2022
ASUU call off the strike so our kids can go back to school

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 19, 2022
Eleyigidgan:
I'm in final year as well.
I'm 31 already and can't go for NYSC anymore as age already disqualified me.
i actually would have graduated at 29/30 but the ASUU strike of 2020, COVID-19 and this current strike has spoilt my plans.
i was already on a 2:1 and had plans of graduating with second class upper but after ASUU called off strike during 2021, the lecturers dealt so hard on us, i was given an E on 4 courses which paralyzed my GPA. a course I deserved at least a B.
now I'm hearing that the second semester and even the first semester would be canceled so a fresh session would start again.
honestly I'm tired, it's so depressing

Honestly
I'm tired too mentally

I just wish i had the resources to "japa" to a saner country and start afresh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Jman06(m): 11:12am On Aug 19, 2022
That argument by Prof Osodeke is not tenable!

The 2022/2023 academic session starts whenever the current session ends and the countdown starts from the day they call off the strike. Since payment of salaries start from the month the strike is called off, the period between when the strike is called off and when new session commences would be fully paid for. So, where is the talk of starting work from a new session coming from?

I honestly do support ASUU in their demands for better welfare and working environment, but I consider it morally wrong for them to be paid for the period of the strike especially if they make it one of the conditions to call off the strike. This is given that students have sacrificed so much of their time, mental wellbeing and even their lives during the strike.

At least to prove that they really have the interest of the poor masses at heart when they call for strikes, let them sacrifice their salaries for the six months.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Wilson500: 11:16am On Aug 19, 2022
Eleyigidgan:

Vawulence is the only subscription available
FG and ASUU have to pay for their sins
Without Vawulence man is nothing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by tayewomi(m): 12:25pm On Aug 19, 2022
Eleyigidgan:
i actually would have graduated at 29/30 but the ASUU strike of 2020, COVID-19 and this current strike has spoilt my plans.
i was already on a 2:1 and had plans of graduating with second class upper but after ASUU called off strike during 2021, the lecturers dealt so hard on us, i was given an E on 4 courses which paralyzed my GPA. a course I deserved at least a B.
now I'm hearing that the second semester and even the first semester would be canceled so a fresh session would start again.
sorry brother,God will help us!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Emmamay10: 3:12pm On Aug 19, 2022
ASUU members should be ready for the consequences of their actions. They should remember that there is a limit they can push Nigerian students to. Their penchant for strike is top notch. some weeks ago, the ASUU president was telling students to bear with them. Now, the same ASUU still want to use the students as bait in a bid to get their backlog salaries. ASUU should be considerate for once in their lifetime.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by JJuanMiguel: 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2022
Lol
ASUU trying to armtwist their way into everything.
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by femicyrus(m): 4:08pm On Aug 19, 2022
sinkhole:
Government 'No Work, No Pay' and Lecturers' No Pay, No Work in Arrears

Minister of Education said lecturers would not be paid their 6 months withheld salaries. It is very unfortunate that the Minister does not understand the operations of the ministry he is heading. The implications are far reaching and I will state some of them here:

1. Spilled-over students whose results are yet to get approval from Senate would not be attended to because these are academic works in arrears (2021/2022 session) that government does not want to pay for. So, no graduation.

2. Final year students who have written exams or yet to write will remain on campus because their scripts will not be marked and the outstanding semester exams will not be conducted. These are academic works in arrears (2021/2022) that government does not want to pay for.

3. For other levels (1 to 3 or to 5), each student should be ready for extra one year or semester as the case may be. If exams have been conducted for second semester, then those students have one semester more. But if results of first semester have not been released, then one extra year. This is because no academic works in arrears would be attended to because government does not want to pay to them.

4. As long as final year students are not graduated, no new intakes and the ripple implication is that JAMB will continue to have backlogs of students waiting to be admitted.

4. The summary of this is that all 2021/2022 session academic works in arrears will not be attended to because they are all works in arrears that government want lecturers to do without without being paid for.

So, it is very unreasonable for government to state that lecturers will not be paid withheld salaries. Lecturers job is not like any ministry job. Adamu Adamu need to get that into his skull.

For parents, stakeholders and students, one does not need to explain further the implications of all this. So, it appears that government is winning the battles but not the war.

©Osuala, U.S.
This is not tenable.
ASUU were paid for work done up till they went on strike and payment must continue from there when they resume.
Which backlog are they talking about?
You mean ASUU were just collecting salary for doing nothing thereby accumulating work undone?
Did they work during strike or the system was running in their absence thereby leaving behind a backlog?

Start work from where you stopped!
What is so difficult in that?

If exam/lectures/marking is ongoing before strike then continue when you resume

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by BOSSkesh(m): 5:24pm On Aug 19, 2022
Bahaushe1 I heard you guys are going to have a congress meeting next week in order for you guys to vote on either to suspend the strike or not…is this true or not?!!
Secondly how likely is the strike to be called off this month in respect to the no work no pay policy implemented by the federal government is it very likely?!!
It seems you’re the only ASUU member lecturer on the forum please come and give us a little briefing on the latest update on the strike
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Image123(m): 5:24pm On Aug 19, 2022
femicyrus:

This is not tenable.
ASUU were paid for work done up till they went on strike and payment must continue from there when they resume.
Which backlog are they talking about?
You mean ASUU were just collecting salary for doing nothing thereby accumulating work undone?
Did they work during strike or the system was running in their absence thereby leaving behind a backlog?

Start work from where you stopped!
What is so difficult in that?

If exam/lectures/marking is ongoing before strike then continue when you resume

Exactly. See ASUU turning logic on its head and playing to the gallery. What backlog are they talking about? Are they going to shift their respective sessions 6months forward for the students so that government can pay them. smiley
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Nairawale01(m): 7:45pm On Aug 19, 2022
AFFLIATE MARKETING
is the surest online business you can do any where you are, even as you stay at home, you earn . You
Don't sleep on it, imagine making money when all you have to do is recommend people digital product and make huge commissions. AFFLIATE MARKETING is the New oil Money where You can make up to 30k as a beginner and more than 100k as a guru's in the business every week.

No shop is needed

You get to learn different skills through it that can fetch you money weekly

Start AFFLIATE MARKETING today and Thank me Later you did
You can Dm my WhatsApp to know more about
the business 08134933969

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Es350: 7:46pm On Aug 19, 2022
Thunder will fire this ASUU people. They don't know that they have now stepped on the toes of already frustrated Nigerian students.

Their time is coming don't worry. Very useless union.

As a Nigerian student, I 100% support FGs no work no pay policy. Students can't be the only ones loosing in this fight, ASUU must loose too.

What a bunch of rogues claiming to be "intellectuals". Nonsense.
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by EmeraldHash(m): 8:09pm On Aug 19, 2022
Eleyigidgan:

It seems you are from FUT minna?
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by jlomz: 9:04pm On Aug 19, 2022
Whoever wrote this crap and rubbish must be high on something, you went on strike downing tools six (6) months ago, and you're telling me that a suspended session can't be continued until you're paid or the session/semester will be rendered obsolete or non-existent?

What bloody arrears are they talking about, were they teaching the students during the strike that they must be paid or have everything thrown away?

Those students whose house rents have expired without them staying in their accommodation for the six months, who'll refund them their rents?

People playing selfishness cards thinking we're all stupid, nonsense!!!

They can go and fight for a way to get paid or reach a compromise, but they should never do it by playing stupid.

They're mad sef, if they try that shit, Nigerian students should sue them to court for breach of agreement �/contract, with failure to render service duly paid for, because students paid for the session and its their right to be taught and examined irrespective of how long the strike last, the session must be completed!
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by Olamilekxy(m): 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2022
ASUU want to collect free thrift.

Lmaooooo... they think dey are wise
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by zicoy6k: 12:51am On Aug 20, 2022
So many ignorant posts up there. You guys should enlighten yourselves on the job description of a lecturer. It's tripartite in nature: teaching, research and community service. Only teaching is suspended during the strike. You should know that in the academic system, research and community service are the most valuable as they determine quality and promotion. No academic is promoted by the quality of his/her teaching. Even if you are awarded best teacher, without the required research points you will not get promoted. A poor teacher with good research publications is considered to be better than an excellent teacher with poor research records.

Note that it's very difficult in the Nigerian system to be excellent at both teaching and research; most lecturers sacrifice one for the other.

PS: You guys should read ASUU's press release and you'll realize that FG is just playing games with everyone. Minister of Education's statement was just to divert the attention of the public.
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by JJuanMiguel: 7:51am On Aug 20, 2022
zicoy6k:
So many ignorant posts up there. You guys should enlighten yourselves on the job description of a lecturer. It's tripartite in nature: teaching, research and community service. Only teaching is suspended during the strike. You should know that in the academic system, research and community service are the most valuable as they determine quality and promotion. No academic is promoted by the quality of his/her teaching. Even if you are awarded best teacher, without the required research points you will not get promoted. A poor teacher with good research publications is considered to be better than an excellent teacher with poor research records.

Note that it's very difficult in the Nigerian system to be excellent at both teaching and research; most lecturers sacrifice one for the other.

PS: You guys should read ASUU's press release and you'll realize that FG is just playing games with everyone. Minister of Education's statement was just to divert the attention of the public.
Stop with all these excuses with research and community service.
When ASUU released the memo for the strike, it was tagged a total and comprehensive strike and that all services rendered by ASUU should be halted including these your excuses, project supervisions etc. In fact, that ASUU should not do anything during the period of the strike. Any lecturer who has been doing anything has been doing it for his/her own benefit as usual, such can not be used for blackmail.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by zicoy6k: 11:00am On Aug 20, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

Stop with all these excuses with research and community service.
When ASUU released the memo for the strike, it was tagged a total and comprehensive strike and that all services rendered by ASUU should be halted including these your excuses, project supervisions etc. In fact, that ASUU should not do anything during the period of the strike. Any lecturer who has been doing anything has been doing it for his/her own benefit as usual, such can not be used for blackmail.

There's nothing in that document that says "no research" during strike. No supervision doesn't mean no research. Past administrations have fruitlessly tried this and it didn't work. Worst case scenario, the matter will be settled in court, and based on the ILO principle of victimization ASUU will win. FG is just diverting attention, you'll see.
Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by JJuanMiguel: 11:58am On Aug 20, 2022
zicoy6k:

There's nothing in that document that says "no research" during strike. No supervision doesn't mean no research. Past administrations have fruitlessly tried this and it didn't work. Worst case scenario, the matter will be settled in court, and based on the ILO principle of victimization ASUU will win. FG is just diverting attention, you'll see.
Lol
Total and comprehensive strike will be well defined in court.
ASUU members were after all directed to stay away from all academic and administrative activities.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Implications Of No-Work-No-Pay For Nigerian Students by zicoy6k: 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

Lol
Total and comprehensive strike will be well defined in court.
ASUU members were after all directed to stay away from all academic and administrative activities.

Academic and administrative activities don't imply research activities. You don't expect people who have research grants with timeline to stop their research because of strike except for those that need the services of technologists since NAAT were also on strike. I'm done pointing this out to you, believe whatever you want.

(1) (Reply)

Any One Have An Idea Of The French Classes In Nigeria / Please Where Can I Get Neco Gce Form In Benin City / Unizik Admission Scratch Card For 2007/2008 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.