Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? (1641 Views)

Browse And Download On Your Blackberry Without Bis. / Listen 'n Download Free Full Tracks From The Internet / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 3:58pm On Aug 06, 2011
A conversation with lalaboi got me thinking. . . . how many Nigerians actually have access to the internet?. . . . we seem to think and take for granted (when we are abroad or are very well off in Nigeria ) that everybody has access to the internet. The harsh reality is that it isnt. . . .  especially in Nigeria.

this means, for example that promoting your music (naija) on radio or TV is far more effective than posting your song on sites like NotJustOk etc. . . .

I reckon that less than 1% of Nigerians have access to or browse the internet regulary. . . or am i wrong?

if I am right, which i believe i am. . . . .what do we do to change the status quo?
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by amblors(m): 4:17pm On Aug 06, 2011
Ofcourse in Naija its better to promote you music via tv/radio due to low internet penetration.
but 1%? thats an exaggeration na.

with population of 140,000,000
you imply just 1,400,000 have regular access?

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=it_net_user&idim=country:NGA&dl=en&hl=en&q=internet+penetration+in+nigeria

that link puts it at 43 million which i think is very unrealistic
with the growth of gsm etc,
i'll think a number like 10million or 10% would be a better guess.

and what we can do about it? thats left the telecom industry and Government.
I thought Glo has something going with the fibre cable, seems its a pipeline dream.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by amblors(m): 4:30pm On Aug 06, 2011
to add to that.
NJO is for those that have "ready access" to the internet
either at work or at home.

with "cybercafes" everywhere, people do have access to the internet,
but if i want to goto a cybercafe to get music, it would be to download one i have heard on
tv/radio
not to listen considering the slow speed in the cafes.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 4:41pm On Aug 06, 2011
amblors:

Ofcourse in Naija its better to promote you music via tv/radio due to low internet penetration.
but 1%? thats an exaggeration na.

with population of 140,000,000
you imply just 1,400,000 have regular access?

http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=it_net_user&idim=country:NGA&dl=en&hl=en&q=internet+penetration+in+nigeria

that link puts it at 43 million which i think is very unrealistic
with the growth of gsm etc,
i'll think a number like 10million or 10% would be a better guess.

and what we can do about it? thats left the telecom industry and Government.
I thought Glo has something going with the fibre cable, seems its a pipeline dream.

to be honest. . . i very much doubt that statistic. . . . .NL is the most visited nigerian website. . . . but it only gets about 20,000 unique hits per day. . . . . . . .where are these 43 million users?
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 4:44pm On Aug 06, 2011
amblors:

to add to that.
NJO is for those that have "ready access" to the internet
either at work or at home.

with "cybercafes" everywhere, people do have access to the internet,
but if i want to goto a cybercafe to get music, it would be to download one i have heard on
tv/radio
not to listen considering the slow speed in the cafes.

maybe I should rephrase the topic. . . . .since there are internet cafes. . . . then technically 100% of Nigerians have access to the internet. . . .but i don't believe there are more than 1 million active internet users in Nigeria
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by werepeLeri: 4:49pm On Aug 06, 2011
Your statistics is so faulty. Do you know how many people use their phones to browse the internet? Or you have excluded those from the statistics? Or you are only looking at people who use the internet cafe?

Can you call all the network providers and ask them how many connect to the internet through the phones daily? You need to do your research all over again. 1% is an absurd figure.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 4:51pm On Aug 06, 2011
werepeLeri:

Your statistics is so faulty. Do you know how many people use their phones to browse the internet? Or you have excluded those from the statistics? Or you are only looking at people who use the internet cafe?

Can you call all the network providers and ask them how many connect to the internet through the phones daily? You need to do your research all over again. 1% is an absurd figure.

the truth is painful. . . huh??. . . . grin grin
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by werepeLeri: 4:53pm On Aug 06, 2011
^^^

Exactly- that statement is for you.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 4:58pm On Aug 06, 2011
werepeLeri:

^^^

Exactly- that statement is for you.

u've lost me. . . . . .
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by lalaboi(m): 6:21pm On Aug 06, 2011
RapJ

I understand that you may be feeling a bit Old school at the moment grin. But tryna show the whole nairaland isnt gonna help your cause.
I'll give you some home work to do.

The amount of internet users alone in lagos should be more than a million.
Blackberry Users,
scammers- failed idiotic waste of money on cyber cafe scammers,
Professionals,
office workers,
That young boy or young girl that wants to feel among.
Those students that wants to check their Waec/Naeto/Jamb results or apply for it
That person who wants to connect on Facebook beacause his friends wanto

Thats just nigerians at home, What about the guyz abroad?
A foreigner in the UK cannot afford to be computer illiterate! with also over a million Nigerians in UK alone, they would have at one time used the internet to search for a job, apply for anything credit!

All the above is just tryna make u feel primitive cos old age don dey catch up with you, u just nefa see am!
A simple google search shows that 24% of the nigerian population as at 2009 used the internet

Even If that stats is so so wrong. It cannot be wrong by 23% . . Nuff said
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by amblors(m): 6:28pm On Aug 06, 2011
@lala, i think he's talking of "Nigerians living in nigeria"

anyways that figure 1million, i no gree, not without evidence.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 6:59pm On Aug 06, 2011
lalaboi:

RapJ

I understand that you may be feeling a bit Old school at the moment grin. But tryna show the whole nairaland isnt gonna help your cause.
I'll give you some home work to do.

The amount of internet users alone in lagos should be more than a million.
Blackberry Users,
scammers- failed idiotic waste of money on cyber cafe scammers,
Professionals,
office workers,
That young boy or young girl that wants to feel among.
Those students that wants to check their Waec/Naeto/Jamb results or apply for it
That person who wants to connect on Facebook beacause his friends wanto

Thats just nigerians at home, What about the guyz abroad?
A foreigner in the UK cannot afford to be computer illiterate! with also over a million Nigerians in UK alone, they would have at one time used the internet to search for a job, apply for anything credit!

All the above is just tryna make u feel primitive cos old age don dey catch up with you, u just nefa see am!
A simple google search shows that 24% of the nigerian population as at 2009 used the internet

Even If that stats is so so wrong. It cannot be wrong by 23% . .  Nuff said

lala. . . .

1. There are not 1 million nigerians living in england
2. A google search proves nothing ( back in the days people used to actually do RESEARCH). . ,  Now its a 'google search'. . . . thats laughable
3. 1 % of Nigerians = 2M at least.

I dont believe there are over 2 million internet users in Nigeria
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by amblors(m): 7:06pm On Aug 06, 2011
^^^ is it my math thats wrong or urs::: 1% ~ 1.4m

with GSM subscribers reaching 100million, i'll like to believe 20% of em are been used to access the internet in one way or another.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by lalaboi(m): 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2011
RapJ

1. I believe UK and ENgland are completely different entities! grin Unless you think otherwise, pls let us know
2. why would a stats from World bank not be counted as research. You might as well do the research your way. Travel around naija and knock on each household to see if they use internet, shior. .  arugbo like you lol

3. "You do not think" .  which is why i will stop arguing about the issue.!This topic is based on your failed gut feeling and ignorantly refuses to reason to stats provided!
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 7:53pm On Aug 06, 2011
amblors:

^^^ is it my math thats wrong or urs::: 1% ~ 1.4m

with GSM subscribers reaching 100million, i'll like to believe 20% of em are been used to access the internet in one way or another.

there are at least 200m nigerians
lalaboi:

RapJ

1. I believe UK and ENgland are completely different entities! grin Unless you think otherwise, pls let us know
2. why would a stats from World bank not be counted as research. You might as well do the research your way. Travel around naija and knock on each household to see if they use internet,  shior. .  arugbo like you lol

3. "You do not think" .  which is why i will stop arguing about the issue.!This topic is based on your failed gut feeling and ignorantly refuses to reason to stats provided!

there are not 1 million Nigerians in the UK. . .  .happy now?. . .they are not even up to one third of that number. Peckham is not the whole of the UK. . . grin grin

as regards travelling around Nigeria knocking on households. . .  .nicca. . . .do u really think the average Nigerian has internet in his house?. . .

life must be good 4 u
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by lalaboi(m): 8:50pm On Aug 06, 2011
Stop decieving yourself.

Uk high commission estimates 1.5millions Nigerians living in the UK.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by werepeLeri: 9:00pm On Aug 06, 2011
RapJ is confused.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 9:11pm On Aug 06, 2011
lalaboi:

Stop decieving yourself.

Uk high commission estimates 1.5millions Nigerians living in the UK.

really?. . .  .is that from your 'google search?'. . lol. . . . . .where is the source of your info?

lala. . .stop doing this to urself. . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nigerian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_the_United_Kingdom

so according to you ( and the 'UK High Commission'  )the Nigerian population in the UK has increased over 1000% since 2001

do you actually know 1 million means?. . . can u count?. . . .  . .

who is deceiving who?. . . . .lol
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 9:15pm On Aug 06, 2011
werepeLeri:

RapJ is confused.

u have no answers. . . .no insight. . .  .no knowledge. . . . .so. . .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by lalaboi(m): 9:31pm On Aug 06, 2011
Damn! RapJ

You posted a wiki link of Nigerinas granted UK "Citizenship" from 1998 to 2008!. .does that actually say the number of Students/ visitors/ illegal immigrants/ idiots that claim asylum that their applications is still pending/ dependants and several others who live in the uk under different tiers!.?

SO if as at 2001, there are nearly 500,000 black africans in the UK, what makes you think that figure has not trippled in the last 10yrs and more than a million nigerians live in the uk?>

Its disappointing to see a muchacho like you spewing so much BS on NL. ,
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 9:40pm On Aug 06, 2011
so i take it that u cant count. . .  . tongue

where is your 'uk high commission' source of info?. . . u just made that up and ur talking about BS? shocked shocked

as regards the links. . . . .can u read?. . . . .the citizenship info was only part of the article. .

1.5 million Nigerians in the UK?. . . . .i no fit talk again
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 06, 2011
Thanks for bringing up the topic RapJ. I'm just reading as I have nothing to contribute lol.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by lalaboi(m): 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2011
The topic is kinda pointless now anyway. RapJ will rather talk about how many nigerians living in the uk than discuss his flawed 1% estimate of internet using nigerians. .

He'll rather belive stats from wiki than belive stats from the world bank data. . .pathetic!

http://www.internetworldstats.com/af/ng.htm
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by coogar: 10:35pm On Aug 06, 2011
lalaboi:

The topic is kinda pointless now anyway. RapJ will rather talk about how many nigerians living in the uk than discuss his flawed 1% estimate of internet using nigerians. .

He'll rather belive stats from wiki than belive stats from the world bank data. . .pathetic!

it's quite possible only 1% of nigerians use the internet.
we tend to forget the population of nigeria is about 180 million.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by lalaboi(m): 10:40pm On Aug 06, 2011
coogar:

it's quite possible only 1% of nigerians use the internet.
we tend to forget the population of nigeria is about 180 million.

If as at 2009, 23million nigerians used the internet. Lets say nigeria's population is 180million. . still works up to 12%. Its so so so wrong to think only 2million people in nigeria use/have access to internet. .
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by coogar: 10:46pm On Aug 06, 2011
lalaboi:

If as at 2009, 23million nigerians used the internet. Lets say nigeria's population is 180million. . still works up to 12%. Its so so so wrong to think only 2million people in nigeria use/have access to internet. .

it's not wrong.
firstly, the statistics on google is an estimate, not the true situation.
how would you feel if i tell you only 5 million people own bank accounts in nigeria. i got this information from a friend working in cbn.

i was shocked - so my friend, it's very possible only 2 million people use the net in nigeria.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by lalaboi(m): 11:06pm On Aug 06, 2011
From the same CBN that announced that only 38% of nigerians have bank accounts.

Think about it, an estimate of more than 3million have a Facebook account!Lets say maybe 2.5mill are active users. Thats just Facebook users. .
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by coogar: 11:10pm On Aug 06, 2011
lalaboi:

From the same CBN that announced that only 38% of nigerians have bank accounts.

Think about it, an estimate of more than 3million have a Facebook account!Lets say maybe 2.5mill are active users. Thats just Facebook users. .

conveniently discounting yahoo-yahoo boys with multiple accounts. can a man not have 50 facebook accounts? he is still one man, not 50 men.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 11:35pm On Aug 06, 2011
lalaboi:

I buried u with that point to demonstrate how u just pick numbers outta ya backside. . .  . .Mr 'UK High Commission says there are 1.5 million Nigerians in the UK'

coogar:

conveniently discounting yahoo-yahoo boys with multiple accounts. can a man not have 50 facebook accounts? he is still one man, not 50 men.

dont mind lala. . . .  . .na FB account he dey use to measure the numbers of individual users of the internet!!. . . and he calls ME pathetic?. . . . this is becoming a running joke. . . .  grin grin
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by amblors(m): 11:48pm On Aug 06, 2011
GSM subscribers are on the Rise although one person could own up to 5phones/sims (na naija, nothing do us)
still the number of Activated SIMS is somewhere between 70 to 100million.

The Blackberry Craze is infecting many (nobody wan carry last). Not all of em subscribe monthly to BIS, still, a sizeable number would.
Those without blackberries probably have smartphones [mostly Nokias and Android is on the rise too] which could be used to access the NET.

Network providers have daily plans & weekly plans a couple of individuals subscribe to.
thats in addition to those that has BIS plans [which have dropped from about 5k/mth to about 2500 hence attracting more market]
Starcomms, Multilink, Visafone etc offer Internet plans at low prices. offering time based data plans e.g. 9pm - 9am.
A couple of Universities have Campus wide Internet plans, some offer it free, some at a low fee affordable by students
Cybercafes are littered all Around.

I hear there's a "2go craze", those with blackberries are obsessed with Twitter and blackberry messenger
The most popular Nigerian site maybe NL, but plenty youths probably don't care about google, let alone nairaland,
so their predominant use of the Internet would be for chatting and maybe facebook.

There are many without computers that are computer literate
There are a couple with "ready" access to internet that don't use it
and others that do.
there are those that visit the cybercafes everyday, i'll call those ACTIVE USERS
there are those that CHAT everyday

I dare say we do have plenty ACTIVE users,
and plenty more non frequent users.

I'll like to think, Internet penetration in naija is somewhere about 20%.
which translates to about 30million Nigerians.

RAPJ, we're about 200m Nigerians and you say just about 1% = 1 million have internet access
you're implying 199m donot have "Active Access" as you put it
i don't buy that, thats like US living in the STONE AGE.
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by mikuz(m): 2:48pm On Aug 08, 2011
rapjunkie:

to be honest. . . i very much doubt that statistic. . . . .NL is the most visited nigerian website. . . . but it only gets about 20,000 unique hits per day. . . . . . . .where are these 43 million users?

olodo nl is no longer the most visited nigerian website! It's vanguard! Btw what about the hits sites like fb,y! And google get?
Re: Why Do Less Than 1% Of Nigerians browse The Internet? by rapjunkie(m): 6:34pm On Aug 08, 2011
mikuz:

olodo nl is no longer the most visited nigerian website! It's vanguard! Btw what about the hits sites like fb,y! And google get?

Ok Professor ITK. . . . .  . . .  Vanguard followed by Nairaland. . . . tell mummy to give u a glass of warm milk and a cookie for your reward. . .  grin grin

what you have to admit is that it is the same frikkin users that use twitter, FB, youtube, wikipedia, google, yahoo and .com

una no reach 2 million. . .  .

(1) (Reply)

2face Vs 2pac / ETCETERA- On The Last Bus To Nowhere / Burna Boy - Monsters You Made (download Video Mp4)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.