Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,514 members, 7,850,776 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:50 AM

Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. (1689 Views)

People's Reactions To ASUU Strike In Funny Meme Collection / Mary Folafoluwa Oginni, Best Student In WAEC Who Left Nigeria Due To ASUU Strike / Lady Who Left Nigeria Due To ASUU Strike Graduates From UK With 5.0gp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. by Hannania(m): 12:45am On Aug 23, 2022
idu1:

What are reasonable young nigerian. Very brilliant. Your kind are very scarce. God bless you.
God bless you too.
Re: Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. by Hannania(m): 12:53am On Aug 23, 2022
DrLevi:

I'm sure Germany and all the Scandinavian countries are unrealistic too

I no get strength, no be like na only me dey enjoy the subsidy why I go con day talk the same thing over and over again

whatever consequences that arise from the removal will be bore by all.

Have a nice day man
You forgot to mention that Germany has the largest and most robust economy in Europe counting down trillions of Euros. Not even UK can compete.

The Scandinavian nations are virtually the most wealthiest nations in times of GDP per capita which is used to rate the wealth of a Nation. From Luxembourg, sweden, Norway etc.

The €10,300 Thousands of international students pay in Germany alone can fund 70% of their tertiary education budget. India alone has close to 30k students in Germany, and each one of them contributes 10,336 yearly to the economy.

So when you consider these factors, you'd see that we don't have the luxury of these nations.
Re: Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. by Nobody: 1:08am On Aug 23, 2022
Hannania:
You forgot to mention that Germany has the largest and most robust economy in Europe, counting down trillions of Euros. Not even UK can compete.

The Scandinavian nations are virtauy the most wealthy in times of GDP per capita, which is used to rate the wealth of a Nation. From Luxembourg, sweden, Norway etc.

The €10,300 Thousands of international students pay in Germany a lone can fund 70% of their rheirary education budget. India alone has close to 30k students in Germany, and each one of them contributes 10,336 yearly to the economy.

So when you consider these factors, you'd see that we don't have the luxury of these nations.
It was a reply to the "University isn't for everyone" and other rephrasing of that sentence. Many countries fund their tertiary education, so its not like Nigerians are the only ones doing so

And also, I do understand these countries are wealthy enough to take on such expenses but also, these countries pay more to fund their education than we do. They fund standard schools and pay the professors thousands in Euros a month, compared to ours where our entire tertiary budget probably equals just 10 Universities there if not less. In comparison, we don't spend enough to complain about the burden of tertiary education.

To clarify, 10,300 is block money, which is release to the student each month for personal expenses, not tuition. Surely, an influx of fx is good for their economy but doesn't do much as per funding their tertiary education.

You're still yet to explain to me how people are suppose to pay 3 months of the minimum wage as tuition without jobs readily available for them upon graduation. Lets not do that Nigerian thing were we ban things without alternatives.
How?

or do you agree you are effectively impoverishing a large number of poor people and effectively uneducated the already uneducated populace with this suggestion
Re: Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. by Hannania(m): 1:22am On Aug 23, 2022
DrLevi:

It was a reply to the "University isn't for everyone" and other rephrasing of that sentence. Many countries fund their tertiary education, so its not like Nigerians are the only ones doing so

And also, I do understand these countries are wealthy enough to take on such expenses but also, these countries pay more to fund their education than we do. They fund standard schools and pay the professors thousands in Euros a month, compared to ours where our entire tertiary budget probably equals just 10 Universities there if not less. In comparison, we don't spend enough to complain about the burden of tertiary education.

To clarify, 10,300 is block money, which is release to the student each month for personal expenses, not tuition. Surely, an influx of fx is good for their economy but doesn't do much as per funding their tertiary education.

You're still yet to explain to me how people are suppose to pay 3 months of the minimum wage as tuition without jobs readily available for them upon graduation. Lets not do that Nigerian thing were we ban things without alternatives.
How?

or do you agree you are effectively impoverishing a large number of poor people and effectively uneducated the already uneducated populace with this suggestion
Let me lay my points for the last time. Firstly, claiming the influx does more help fund the educational sector is false in all front. If The Nigerian government was making $100b, trust me this strike would have been a thing of the past.

What ASUU is asking for is realistically not possible. Things like their salaries can be improved for sure, but it has to be progressive.

Imagine Nigeria attracting an international populace, pumping and estimated $11k yearly, tell me that wont create a balance.

As long as we settle for "The poor" slang, we shouldn't ask for more than what we get. Realistically, any government that's improves education in Nigeria, I can bet you that it will only be achievable with a reform .
Re: Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. by galantjoe(m): 6:08am On Aug 23, 2022
Hannania:
We lack leaders with the guts to make such bold moves. Let's compare it to brazil, where the FG funds just 25% of the educational infrastructure. The remaining 75% is shared between state and private sectors. 75% of Brazilian undergraduates attend a private university. They can afford it because the government have them leverage.

We need to stop using reforms of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Funders are different from managers. I think in other countries as you mentioned, govt funds universities while experts manages. Govt is like a donor, the universities is autonomous and self accounting. Universities are running like foundation. The lecturers therein interact with management, lay their complaints to them to solve. They don't go to govt like what is happening in Nigeria now. Who are the management, the chancellor, vice chancellor, bursar, etc. These are experts, educationist, they will also run these institutions at profit for them to be sustainable.

Core competence should be applied in management of university. So that govt will be left for its core competency of providing good governance, maintaining law and order and providing policy direction

The ASUU perennial strike / demands and fuel subsidies are cankerworms needed to be removed for Nigeria to move forward.
Re: Opinion: Solution To ASUU Strike. by Hannania(m): 6:24am On Aug 23, 2022
galantjoe:

Funders are different from managers. I think in other countries as you mentioned, govt funds universities while experts manages. Govt is like a donor, the universities is autonomous and self accounting. Universities are running like foundation. The lecturers therein interact with management, lay their complaints to them to solve. They don't go to govt like what is happening in Nigeria now. Who are the management, the chancellor, vice chancellor, bursar, etc. These are experts, educationist, they will also run these institutions at profit for them to be sustainable.

Core competence should be applied in management of university. So that govt will be left for its core competency of providing good governance, maintaining law and order and providing policy direction

The ASUU perennial strike / demands and fuel subsidies are cankerworms needed to be removed for Nigeria to move forward.
If you make mention of subsidy removal, all hell will lose. There's a great deal or public orientation that an average Nigerian needs. This is because of wrong educational structure that breeds graduands without critical thinking ability, and voting leaders into key positions who can't influence these thought processes. Subsidy removal is long overdue, but the question is, do we have a government that can harness the benefits? NO!

Just compare our senate to that of any western world, or even the "second world " countries such as China, Brasil, Malaysia, UAE etc, and you'd notice we're just hopeless for a long ride.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

School Transcript / The Contestant For 2014 Mr University Africa Pictures / University Of Ibadan 2016/2017 Applicants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.