Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,898 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi (11113 Views)

Coronavirus: China Publishing Fake Data To Deceive Countries — Report / Coronavirus And Fake News In Nigeria - BBC (Photos) / 100 Ladies Working For NGOs In Borno Impregnated And Infected With HIV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by nlfpmod: 10:40am On Aug 27, 2022
As shared by journalist, Temisan Okomi:

Fascinating conversation with an NGO person I know. I won't mention the name or the area of concern but here's what I found out:

Let's assume there's an NGO working to eradicate HIV in Nigeria. I use "HIV" because it's one disease that needs blood sampling. Funding from the U.S.

The NGO sends people out there, to communities, to find cases. "Boots on the streets" go 'round communities, collecting blood samples. For every blood sample collected, you get paid a small amount. For every positive case gotten; bigger money. Treatment? Even more money.

I'm sure you can already guess where this is going.

So.

The "smart" chaps go out, test 10 people. One of those sampled comes back positive. What do they do? They spread that ONE positive into three other places. They now have "four" positive cases. More money. Everybody chops.

Corruption isn't even my fascination here. My interest?

Data.

What then happens is; the official tally of HIV cases is off by three. If you do the math, it means for every 1000 cases of HIV reported in that area, the REAL number is 250.

Faulty data on a massive scale.

Makes me wonder:

Just how much faulty data do we have in Nigeria? On a massive scale too?

One major reason why these numbers people throw around "offends" me.

"Malaria kills 55 Nigerians in a minute!"

It could be correct but forgive me if I don't believe you.

Cheers.

https://twitter.com/temiokomi/status/1563078328885870593?t=LO0_uKjq9wtAwMfLI-WYnw&s=08

31 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by DropsMic(m): 10:47am On Aug 27, 2022
Wetin concern black man concern data collection, even our population gan na estimate.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Tripitaka: 10:48am On Aug 27, 2022
Theres something fundamentally wrong with Nigerians and Africans. Every occasion is an avenue to perpetuate criminality without minding the consequences. Greed and avarice is the order of the day.

The level at which data is meddled with is also the reason no one takes official Nigerian government data seriously, example Census. Most atimes, people just sit in their offices and project figures which they publish as data.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by enobong18: 10:49am On Aug 27, 2022
Data analyses is still a joke in Nigeria,
even government agencies too, or have you
never heard the minister of finance speak?

Come and complete the twitter picture

5 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Discountsempai: 10:50am On Aug 27, 2022
True, heard something about that along that line some years ago.

At the end, flawed data=flawed policies.

6 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by donleo92(m): 10:50am On Aug 27, 2022
lol.
this dude they talk from experience!!
data collection in Nigeria is flawed with corruption

17 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by sircatherine45(m): 10:51am On Aug 27, 2022
Na today you know this one? I know an NGO that has accounts for laundering funds, and the FBI will keep mute.

Corruption is everywhere!

2 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Dshocker(m): 10:51am On Aug 27, 2022
90% of NGOs and motherless babies home in Nigeria was set up for personal interest/gain.

Most of them uses this organisations to receive stolen funds or covert items or goods donated at freewill into cash.

They is why when ever i visit, i don't give cash and make sure that the food items i bring have dent, so they can't resell it.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by azpekuliar: 10:52am On Aug 27, 2022
All data is supposed to be sourced from the National Bureau of Statistics not from any mushroom NGO.

3 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by vexing(m): 10:52am On Aug 27, 2022
This is really a bad development.
FTC for the first time since I joined nairaland.

I am not FTC oh. I don't know how all this guys over took me.
Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by MacWin155(m): 10:53am On Aug 27, 2022
Corruption present in every aspect of our society.

How can we fault government for being a bigger corruption-enabling entity??

God help us in this country.

1 Like

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Septagon: 10:53am On Aug 27, 2022
Very true.Nigerians like exaggerating things.

Hadley Chase available

1 Like

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by bhella10: 10:55am On Aug 27, 2022
This is peculiar to all countries. Sensationalism.

5 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by virginboy1(m): 10:56am On Aug 27, 2022
Even Nigeria population estimated at 200 million seems very fabricated.

Very Poor data culture and management " na how to fight for open grazing nonsense we dey debate". undecided

Well, I forsee data analysis as one of the new booming industry in the future of nja cool

4 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Quitam: 10:57am On Aug 27, 2022
Ddd
Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by STEWpid(f): 10:57am On Aug 27, 2022
Chai

Naija is a border for all.

What is not possible globally is wittingly happening here live!
Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Hambivert: 10:58am On Aug 27, 2022
I have never for once believed in any form of Nigerian data. It is always riddled with false claims.

Even the internet data in Nigeria is a scam. undecided
How can one Month data finish in 3 days... No be juju be that ? angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by NoFucksToGive: 10:59am On Aug 27, 2022
This guy just bursted hustle that some men used to train their children up to university...

I have friends who each have a registered NGO to their name all cashing out.. :
Anyways this hustle started in Abuja then spread to other states back in the day .

Let me state this clearly .. all data in Nigeria is false... That's how the other day someone was telling me that my Edo state has the highest number of hiv positive people!!! I just dey laugh..
All data in Nigeria is false, from census to IGR, to states revenue....they just sit in a room and make up figures... The good thing is no lie lasts forever... One day the truth go burst as e don happen here so..

2 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by inoki247: 11:00am On Aug 27, 2022
Wetin dey real for this country before even the aspirants dey dole out fake statistics and false promises....

During Covid dem run am like that nobody wey Malaria or any other diseases come dey kill pass Covid....
Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Addme: 11:01am On Aug 27, 2022
That last line concerning malaria most times make me wonder.

If malaria kills every minute like they always project. How many we go con remain now.

5 Likes

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by Librason: 11:01am On Aug 27, 2022
nlfpmod:

https://twitter.com/temiokomi/status/1563078328885870593?t=LO0_uKjq9wtAwMfLI-WYnw&s=08

You can oppose them with your research rather than play down every sensitive scientific research, these are the ones who will say there is nothing like covid with little or no science background, "malaria kills 55 persons

in a minute" is the malaria research your own research also?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by bobbey: 11:01am On Aug 27, 2022
This whole drama is something else.
Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by checkmatez: 11:06am On Aug 27, 2022
That's why I don't believe when they say akwaibom has the highest number of HIV cases...

Look around, some states are worst

1 Like

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by segebobo: 11:06am On Aug 27, 2022
nlfpmod:

It happens in many sectors... Most of the data brandished in Nigeria are not objective

1 Like

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by azpekuliar: 11:07am On Aug 27, 2022
[Edit]

Double post
Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by gracealonev: 11:07am On Aug 27, 2022
That's why the National Population Commission claimed in 1991 that Ibadan had fewer buildings than many apparently smaller towns and cities. Ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: NGOs And Fake Data Generation In Nigeria By Temisan Okomi by bukatyne(f): 11:07am On Aug 27, 2022
I thought I was the only one 'offended' by these numbers thrown around undecided

In this world where disinformation and misinformation is rife, one needs to be super alert.

Before someone wrecks your life with an experiment they are not following.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AIDS And Teen Sex Education / Advise needed - D&C / Cure All These Naturally With Jigsimur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.