Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,676 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

FFT- Freedom From Torture: My Glasgow Story Of Discoveries - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / FFT- Freedom From Torture: My Glasgow Story Of Discoveries (326 Views)

PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / The Untold Story Of Adam And Eve / Switched (story Of A Fierce Battle Between Desperate Infatuation And True Love) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

FFT- Freedom From Torture: My Glasgow Story Of Discoveries by ChyMordy: 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2022
Being in a new environment, especially in a new country like the UK, comes with a lot of culture shocks.

First, you're surprised and shocked that things could be done orderly, in organized manners, because you've been used to the chaos that's the definition of your country (I do hope Nigeria will be better soon by the way). Secondly, you can't just do anyhow; systems are in place to put you to check, even when you think nobody has seen you 'misbehaving'. A family friend got a letter that he abused traffic! The letter had the picture of his car, where he packed 'illegally' and the amount of hours he packed! Can you beat that?

Back to the crux of my post- there's no day I don't discover something new in Glasgow where I reside. Remember, I came into the UK/Glasgow heavily pregnant, and before you know it, I got a big box of baby essentials! Ah! Who does that? Lol. The box contained everything I would be needing for the newborn, including packs of CONDOMS! So that I would not say "had I known" when my husband joined me and "belle" sprouts out in few months time...

After having the baby, it's been a discovery spree! There's always one charity or food bank to go to almost everyday, and as a nursing mother, you're given special consideration; your bus fare is returned to you and lots of baby essentials. You won't believe I have not spent a pound for anything 'babies' since I had Awele! I get everything for free and they are really nice stuffs.

Wednesdays are the busiest days for me and my nursing-mother-friends. We first agree where to meet and which place to go first. Usually, we go to Adelphi Centre, where HWUPENYU, an NGO that provides food and other services to families, would give us packs of fresh food, baby items, and them give us back our £5 for transport; after Adelphi, we head to AMMA Birth support, where we meet other mums. AMMA provides great support for mothers from pregnancy through childbirth and afterwards. If you're pregnant in Glasgow, please look for AMMA. At AMMA Mums gathering, we just chill, discuss and share our experiences, especially how our babies meet their development milestones; sometimes we'll have special classes where will be taught how to prepare baby foods, at other times, which are regular on Mondays and Tuesdays, we have Yoga and Postnatal fitness classes. What excites us the most is that after the sessions, we're refunded back our £5. You need to see us smiling �. AMMA closes by 3pm. If we have the strength, we will then walk to REFUWEEGEE, another group that supports families, especially mothers. There, we'll be given more packs of food, clothes and baby essentials.  And our £5 refunded sometimes... So most Wednesdays, for stepping out of your house as a mum, you'll be £15 richer! My dear, where does this happen in our home country?

So, last week, after receiving our packages from HWUPENYU, one of us took us to another women's group. We met other women busy making handcrafts like beads, rings, and other lovely ornaments. Most of them Arabians, we just sat down; our sister that brought us in codedly advised we joined them to do something. I learnt how to make a lovely bead. We couldn't wait till the end because we had to rush to AMMA before they close by 3pm, if not we won't get our £5. Our friend who introduced us to the group took us to the coordinator, a beautiful Pakistan woman who looked so friendly and accommodating. She told the coordinator that we had to leave but will be there next week. We're given our transport fare; but the woman shattered our hopes of getting the money on a weekly basis! She said for us to fully be members, we need to get referral from our GPs, if not, any other day we come around, we'll just sit with them, do some works but won't get the £5. I looked at my sisters. We didn't say much until we got out. As we hurried to get to AMMA because it's past 2pm, we met a woman from the other group at the bus stop, so we had to ask her what the coordinator meant by getting referrals from our GPS. This woman explained in clear terms what the group was about. She said we had to go to our GPs (General Practictioners or Doctors), and tell them that we're having trauma or panic attacks, as a result of horrible experiences we have had, maybe from back home, or in past relationships. In her words,

"Tell them that you sometimes hear voices, you see scary images and you hardly sleep at night because of the trauma"

In my mind I said, "mogbe! On top £5!"

She went on and on, emphatically touching her head to show mental instability. It's until the group is convinced that you're mentally unstable or going through trauma, that they will admit you and then you'll start receiving the benefits such as the £5 after each meetings and other things. At this point, I knew that group may not be idea for me (I never kolo, or experience that kind of trauma oh). So I asked the lady what the group name is, so I can search them online; I acted as if I was interested...

"FFT" she said.

"What is FFT?", I asked

" Freedom From Torture" she replied.

"Wow!", my friend exclaimed.

We just told the lady that next week, we'll be there, as if we were really going back there!

I learnt a lesson last week Wednesday, which will benefit anyone coming into Glasgow newly. Before you enter anywhere, please find out enough details about such place, before you'll be grouped with people who have certain issues or pretend to have, because of freebies like £5. Lol. 

ChyMordy writes from Glasgow, Scotland, and you can enjoy more interesting stories from my blog www.myrandomramblings.org.uk

(1) (Reply)

Struggling To Remember An Idiomatic Expression / Fighting The Gods - Feather's Stories / The Island Wolf - Feather's Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.