Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today (10966 Views)

Nigerian Tennis Star In The 90s Now On The Streets / Wilfred Ndidi Visits Nduka Ugbade At Golden Eaglets Camp In Abuja / Nigerian Tennis International Aruna Quadri Now 21st In Latest ITTF Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 4:53am On Aug 28, 2022
Today is Nigerian tennis legend, Nduka Odizor's 64th birthday.

Nduka "The Duke" Odizor is a Nigerian tennis legend. He is the last Nigerian to get to (and beyond) the second round of any grandslam tournament. He is also the only Nigerian to play on centre court at Wimbledon.

Nduka Odizor grew up in Maroko, a large slum that was near Victoria Island in Lagos. He attended Edward Blydon Memorial Primary School at Okesuna on Lagos Island. He sometimes worked as a ball boy at Ikoyi Club and Lagos Lawn Tennis Club. It was there that his interest in tennis grew. He once said that he was so poor, but he loved tennis so much, that he was faced with a decision of whether he should buy akara to eat (because he was very hungry) or go to the National Stadium by bus to watch tennis and he chose trek from Lagos Lawn Tennis Club to the stadium because he was going to be there all day and so he also had to eat.

He attended the famous New Era secondary school in Benin City. Governor Samuel Ogbemudia of the Mid-West State established the school as a centre of excellence for sportsmen and women, so that they can get an education and play sports, but Odizor said that the system broke down after Ogbemudia left office and the school began admitting "anybody". Odizor played at the National Sports Festival and for the Nigerian National Team while he was still a teenager.

I had a neighbour who was a Nigerian tennis legend in the 1950s and 1960s. He was also very close to the Americans. This was during the Cold War when the Americans and Russians were competing for influence around the world. In the 1970s (after he had retired), my neighbour told the Americans that tennis was getting very popular in Nigerian and that they could create a good feeling towards Americans if they invested in Nigerian tennis. (This was revealed in the diplomatic papers that were released by Wikileaks).

The US Embassy got some American tennis players to participate at the Ogbe Hard Court tournamen (at the Ogbe Stadium in Benin). They got Pepsi/7up to sponsor the tournament. They also held many tennis clinics in Nigeria.

A visiting American professor called Dr Robert Wren saw Nduka Odizor playing at one of the USAID tennis clinics in the 1970s. He offered to sponsor Odizor's education in the United States. Odizor finished his secondary school education at St Thomas High School, Houston. He also attended the University of Houston, where he graduated with a degree in Business Marketing and Finance in 1981.

Wimbledon

Nduka "The Duke of Wimbledon" Odizor played at Wimbledon for the very first time in 1975. He played in the junior tournament on that occasion. He played in the senior tournament in 1982 and got to the second round before he was beaten by Swedish legend, Mats Wilander. However, it was his appearance at Wimbledon in 1983 that made waves.

Odizor got to the fourth round at Wimbledon in 1983 and he was just one victory away from the quarter-final when he was beaten by Chris Lewis of New Zealand.

Racism

Odizor said that he was given police protection by Scotland Yard when he played at Wimbledon because skin heads and other racist groups sent death threats to him. He said that police officers had to follow him where ever he went.

He also said that he suffered from racism many times on the tour. Some people would not want to share locker rooms with him, some wouldn't want to practice with him and some wouldn't want to play doubles with him.

He said that the problem of racism did not only exist abroad. He said that some Nigerians in Nigeria were also affected by it. For example, he said that he was very angry when he watched a Nigerian tennis star lose to an Ethiopian at the All Africa Games in Lagos in 1973. He said that he believed that even he, as a kid, could have beaten the Ethiopian and that the problem was that the Nigerian believed that the Ethiopian was better simply because of his lighter skin.

Australian Open

Odizor also got to the third round of the Australian Open in 1985, where he lost to American legend, John McEnroe. This match has gone into tennis history books because of a little trick that Odizor played. He surprised McEnroe by serving a underarm drop shot that earned him an ace. McEnroe was so surprised that he did not even move.

US Open

Odizor also got to the third round of the US Open on two occasions, 1985 and 1987.

He was not as succesful in the French Open, where he lost in the first round in 1986.

Titles

Nduka Odizor won singles titles in Lagos, Taiwan and Benin. He also won doubles titles in Monterrey (Mexico), Dallas, Tokyo and Sydney. He won 28 titles overall, including in Taipei, Lagos, Thessaloniki, Monterey, Tokyo, Forest hills in New York City, Benin City, etc.

His highest singles ranking was number 52 in the world in 1984 and number 20 in the doubles.

Nigerian National Team

He was part of Nigeria's Davis Cup team that played in the Euro-Africa Zone Group 1 (just below the World Group. We got to the quarter final of that group in 1988 and 1989). He also represented Nigeria at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea.

After retirement

He established the DOIT Foundation after retiring and he has returned to Nigeria many times to run tennis clinics and to teach Nigerian children how to play the game.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 4:53am On Aug 28, 2022
You have got to watch this video. This is Nduka Odizor vs John McEnroe at the 1985 Australian Open. Odizor surprises McEnroe and scores an ace by serving an underarm dropshot.

https://twitter.com/QuestionofSport/status/1075390299847852032

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 4:53am On Aug 28, 2022
Nduka Odizor speaking to Channels TV about Nigerian Tennis in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRcDCN1ueA

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 4:55am On Aug 28, 2022
ODIZOR OF NIGERIA TOPS VILAS IN 5 SETS

By Neil Amdur, Special To the New York Times
June 21, 1983

Guillermo Vilas and Jose-Luis Clerc, missing from last year's Wimbledon tennis championships because of Argentina's war with Britain over the Falkland Islands, were eliminated on the tournament's opening day today.

A 24-year-old Nigerian, Nduka Odizor, playing his first centercourt match ever in a Grand Slam event, saved a match point from two sets down in a third-set tiebreaker and then outlasted the fourthseeded Vilas in a 4-hour-7-minute marathon. The scores were 3-6, 5-7, 7-6, 7-5, 6-2.

Odizor's amazing saga began as a promising 15-year-old player in Lagos. Discovered by an American college professor, he was encouraged to continue his education in the United States, was graduated with a degree in marketing from the University of Houston in 1981 and is now ranked 82d on the men's computer rankings.

''At first before I went out on center court, I thought I'd be very nervous,'' said the lanky Odizor, whose 14 aces, crisp first volleys and aggressive service returns dominated Vilas in the last two sets. ''Amazingly, I was not.'' Clerc Loses to Panatta

Two other seeded players, Clerc, No. 7, and Steve Denton, No. 9, joined Vilas as opening-day casualties. The 24-year-old Clerc, whose normally sound game has collapsed in a wave of first-round losses since March, appeared with a Bjorn Borg-like beard, but it could not hide his deficiencies during a 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 setback to Claudio Panatta of Italy.

Denton, one of the game's hardest hitters, succumbed in fading light to Chris Lewis of New Zealand in a five-setter, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3, that did not conclude until 9:11 P.M. Lewis is only 91st on the men's computer, but he is known as a dangerous ''floater'' in a draw and had lost a close match (6-4, 7-6) to Denton at Queen's Club only two weeks ago.

The most apparent benefactor in the defeats of Vilas, Clerc and Denton may have been the top-seeded Jimmy Connors, the defending singles champion, who saw three seeded rivals cleared from his half of the draw. The 30-year-old Connors handled Eddie Edwards, 6-4, 7-5, 6-3, in the opening match on the center court, and said afterward, ''I can serve better, which I will do.''

Asked whether some of Edwards's slow-ball tactics had effectively shaken Connors's forehand and left him struggling at 1-4 in the second set, Connors annoyingly snapped, ''It really works, doesn't it?'' McEnroe Wins in 3 Sets

The pressures were different for John McEnroe and Billie Jean King, but each survived their opening-round matches. A handful of foot faults kept McEnroe and his southpaw opponent, Ben Testerman, unsettled on the No.1 court before McEnroe's natural talent prevailed, 6-4, 7-6, 6-2.

''I haven't been called for one foot fault in Europe,'' said McEnroe, who was called for four today and next faces Florin Segarceanu of Rumania. ''It's really strange. I'll have to have someone look at it in practice tomorrow. Maybe I was.''

Mrs. King, a semifinalist here last year, thought all the signs were positive for her 21st Wimbledon singles. Her brother Randy Moffitt's baseball team, the Blue Jays, were winning; Sally Ride, the astronaut and a friend, was having a ''great ride,'' and today's warm, sunny weather was another psychological plus.

But Mrs. King saw first-set leads of 3-0 and 5-3 diminish - ''I felt I was struggling'' - until her experience and serve-and-volley skills won, 7-5, 6-3, over Elisabeth Sayers, a 20-year-old Australian.

''For me to get through a first round is a miracle,'' said the 39-year-old six-time Wimbledon champion. In contrast to last year's rain-plagued Wimbledon, today's weather lifted spirits. Even a threatened nationwide television blackout of the tournament was put on hold by union technicians, and few among the 26,000 spectators at the All England Lawn Tennis Club complained about the price increase in strawberries and cream from $1.50 to $2.20. An Aggressive Game

Odizor's breakthrough, in only his second Wimbledon, was remarkable, despite Vilas's preoccupation with his possible one-year suspension for purportedly acccepting appearance money,

Soft-spoken and self-effacing, Odizor can still recall showing up with a board for a racquet at a 1970 United States State Department clinic in Lagos, given by Arthur Ashe and Stan Smith. However, it was not until Dr. Robert Wren, a visiting psychology professor from the University of Houston, recognized Odzior's potential and offered to pay for his final year of high school at a private school in Houston that his game improved.

Blessed with an aggressive, at times explosive serve-and-volley game, Odizor reached the semifinals in singles and doubles at the 1981 national collegiate championships. He lost to Mats Wilander in the second round here last year and seemed headed for defeat when Vilas led, 3-0, and then 7-6 in the third-set tiebreaker.

But instead of playing through match point from the backcourt, Vilas belately tried to attack in the rally from far behind the baseline. Odizor countered with a crisp forehand passing shot and won the tiebreaker, 9-7.

''I don't even remember how I won the point,'' he later said.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/06/21/sports/odizor-of-nigeria-tops-vilas-in-5-sets.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 4:55am On Aug 28, 2022
1) 1983 Wimbledon Men's Singles (section 3).

2) 1985 Australian Open Men's Singles (section 8 ).

3) 1985 US Open Men's Singles (section 4).

4) 1987 US Open Men's Singles (section 4).

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 5:05am On Aug 28, 2022
Nduka Odizor in his own words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 5:05am On Aug 28, 2022
Nduka Odizor in his own words (continued)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by melonsgroup: 5:30am On Aug 28, 2022
IGBO kwenu............ shockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked

No be today
Edon teeey

7 Likes

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by IboHausaYoruba: 5:32am On Aug 28, 2022
Congratulations legend

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by underpinna: 5:33am On Aug 28, 2022
He's just an awesome player.

Nigeria will be great someday.

6 Likes

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by rusher14: 5:42am On Aug 28, 2022
Happy birthday champ.
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by Ikennaford: 5:53am On Aug 28, 2022
He don't deserve to be celebrated,he never beat any world no1,
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by Ikennaford: 5:55am On Aug 28, 2022
rusher14:
Happy birthday champ.

Champ in Lagos
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 6:00am On Aug 28, 2022
The Lagos Open was a big tournament back in the day and well, you can see the names of some of the people that played in the final. Odizor won it in 1985 and 1986 and he was the runner up in 1987.

I also remember that he won the Ogbe Hard Court tournament, but I can't remember what year.

I spent many Saturday afternoons watching these tournaments on the NTA in the 1980s.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by rusher14: 6:01am On Aug 28, 2022
Ikennaford:

Champ in Lagos

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 6:03am On Aug 28, 2022
This is Nduka Odizor playing in a charity match in Italy in 1995. The match was organised to raise money for children in Ethiopia. Because of fear of the anti-spam bot, I will not post the names of the other stars in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z0dwur-ZC0

2 Likes

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by Boogyman557: 6:04am On Aug 28, 2022
Holly Gram cool HBD broda MAN..

More life, more Grace and more money..

Bros I believe say u de SMOKE WEED or u fit de take something else..

That is why u still look young and fresh..

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by Neimar: 6:10am On Aug 28, 2022
I never knew we had professional tennis players
Congrats sir

6 Likes

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by iLegendd(m): 6:16am On Aug 28, 2022
Thank God!

Whenever I read this type of headline on Nairaland, the end of the title always ends with "dead."

The headline always starts with the person's name, followed by profession, age, then next thing is "dead."

The Internet always make us feel like everyone is dying. Always bad 95% bad. Glad it wasn't this time around.

4 Likes

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by juman(m): 6:36am On Aug 28, 2022
Happy birthday to him

I don't follow tennis things much.

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by chiedozie198100: 6:38am On Aug 28, 2022
after reading your comment that i realized it was birthday.

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by seunlayi(m): 6:43am On Aug 28, 2022
One of my favorites in those days...

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by Wintertime: 6:44am On Aug 28, 2022
Good
Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by solexybaba(m): 6:48am On Aug 28, 2022
I love reading about great people n great minds n greatness in general. I no I will be great 1 day

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by naptu2: 7:04am On Aug 28, 2022
Neimar:
I never knew we had professional tennis players
Congrats sir

Read this thread to find out more about the golden era of tennis in Nigeria.

Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by kingsways: 7:11am On Aug 28, 2022
Congratulations Nduka

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by TheAlchemist: 8:19am On Aug 28, 2022
Happy Birthday, you are warmly celebrated...

1 Like

Re: Nduka Odizor, Nigerian Tennis Legend Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today by bestman09(m): 9:18am On Aug 28, 2022
He was a legend. Days of Ogbe hard court in Benin city, Bendel state. Indomie generation will not understand.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jadon Sancho Wins Goal.com NxGn World's Best Young Talent Award (Photos) / Why Man Utd Don't Sign African Players / Website That Change My Life To Good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.