Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,940 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Three Reasons Why ASUU Strike Should Not Be A Source Of Concern To Nigerians - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Three Reasons Why ASUU Strike Should Not Be A Source Of Concern To Nigerians (461 Views)

ASUU Strike: Should I Continue With My Job Or Just Quit It / Strike: Why ASUU Should Accept FG’s Offer — Ngige / ASUU STRIKE: Should ASUU Suspend The Strike For Students' Sake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Three Reasons Why ASUU Strike Should Not Be A Source Of Concern To Nigerians by Beosten(m): 1:11pm On Aug 31, 2022
My assertions are mostly based on the availability of alternatives and the fact that Nigerian project already seems irredeemable, despite all the efforts of the so-called past heroes at the expense of their health infrastructures.

1. Nigeria's Critical Sectors Won't Be Affected

Defense: There are special schools run by this ministry tasked with maintaining territorial integrity of Nigeria. The tentacles of ASUU can't find their ways to those schools as long as the country exists.

Health: There are private teaching hospitals churning out medical personnel every year. Don't be tempted to say that they won't be enough to handle emerging cases in this sector; greater percentage of Nigerians can't afford their services in the first place. A lot of people around me visit quacks for their medical services. Let the rich patronise hospitals manned by professionals.

Agriculture: This sector only needs ASUU for innovations. You and I know that the word 'innovation' is alien to Nigeria. Artificial insemination was not discovered by Nigerian scientists. Which of the hybrid food crops is a cerebral product of Nigerians? If there is any, I can't recollect; I only studied agriculture to pass exams and I became a graduate of Animal Production and Health in 2011.

2. Greater Percentage of Learning Aspects Don't Require Physical Teachers

I was in Lautech for five years to study Animal Production and Health and the only time I wrote lecture notes was in 300 level when the lecturer that taught Pasture Management said she would assign marks to students by submitting their notes. I simply collected the notes from a friend, wrote everything and submitted it same day. I scored 72% in the course. See attachment below.

Lecture attendance was almost nonexistent because I couldn't afford to be in school. No parents. My brother struggled to pay my tuition fees of 40k between 2006 and 2011 per year, while I was always away from school for survival. Tests, laboratory practicals and exams were the only reasons you would see me in the school. I missed a lot of tests and practicals but never missed exams.

During our farm year, when we were supposed to be at the university farm for many weeks including Sundays, a certain health challenge I suffered from 100 level saved me. I had been plagued by incessant headache from year one in the university. At a point, I was receiving advice from the social services department of the university health center. When I started the farm experience, my health deteriorated. One very compassionate Pastor Shalom in that social services department obtained a referral letter for me to take to UCH, Ibadan. That letter was an official permission to leave the farm. Without any treatment at UCH, headache and other symptoms disappeared immediately after my graduation.

For some courses, I laid my hands on their books just three days to the examinations and still did very well.

If you want to study courses like Medicine and Surgery, Chemical Engineering etc, go to private schools. If you cannot afford tuition fees of those schools, those that can afford the fees will fill the void.

3. Teeming Population of Nigerian Youths Don't Rely on Certificates After All.

I don't have to tell you much about the menace of the fraudulent schemes known as 'Yahoo'. Secondary school students now see it as the fastest way out of poverty and for survival. Even as a priest of the gods, one little boy "run me street" just last week. He came to me for prayers to the gods having bought some items for prayers. I was supposed to state his bill, but being someone that looked very jaundiced, I agreed to conduct free prayers for him at my shrine using the items he brought. I had already started the process at the time I asked for his name. He quickly showed me the name of a white guy from his Facebook chat. He obviously couldn't pronounce the name better than I did. He recorded the ritual, which I'm sure he sent to the unsuspecting white man. From what I have read online, this branch of 'Yahoo' is called IFA. They would pose as priests of the gods from Africa and claim that they offer spiritual healings.

About ninety percent of those messaging me would start with an usual line that reads: "do you do 'jazz' for 'Yahoo' boys?" Your desire to be an uncompromising herbalist will vanish into thin air the day you need money to confront a pressing need and you wake up to the usual message of "jazz for Yahoo boys".

The core fabric of our national life has been damaged beyond repair. Educational opportunities have been around since the days of Awolowo and Zik, but today, we still have deadly thugs roaming our streets unapologetically. It's a Nigerian phenomenon of egregious appropriation of what is not on offer.

Re: Three Reasons Why ASUU Strike Should Not Be A Source Of Concern To Nigerians by jkpbestseries: 1:17pm On Aug 31, 2022
Polytechnics and Colleges of Education are not given due concern like the Universiteis, why?

(1) (Reply)

Help With Phd Proposal / Ebira Born James Kehinde Moses Makes 4.85CGPA In Mech Engr. From ABU, Zaria / A Nairalander Recounts How He Dropped Out While Pursuing A Law Degree.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.