Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Who Will Decode This For Me - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Who Will Decode This For Me (2117 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Will Decode This For Me by dabrake(m): 9:35am On Aug 09, 2011
We were asked this question in our discrete mathematics of computing class today. The question goes thus:
4 friends have been identified as suspects for an unauthorized access into a computer system. They have made statements to the investigating authorities. Alice said "Carlos did it". John said "I did not do it". Carlos said "Diana did it". Diana said "Carlos lied when he said I did it"
(i) If the authorities also know that exactly one of the suspects is telling the truth, who did it? Explain your reasoning
(ii) If the authoritier also know that exactly one of them is lying, who did it? Explain your reasoning.
Pls nlers, help mi decode diz, d argument in ma clas is hitting d ceilings. Methinks its alice(sayin d truth) and carlos(lying). Wad do u fink?We were asked this question in our discrete mathematics of computing class today. The question goes thus:
4 friends have been identified as suspects for an unauthorized access into a computer system. They have made statements to the investigating authorities. Alice said "Carlos did it". John said "I did not do it". Carlos said "Diana did it". Diana said "Carlos lied when he said I did it"
(i) If the authorities also know that exactly one of the suspects is telling the truth, who did it? Explain your reasoning
(ii) If the authoritier also know that exactly one of them is lying, who did it? Explain your reasoning.
Pls nlers, help mi decode diz, d argument in ma clas is hitting d ceilings. Methinks its alice(sayin d truth) and carlos(lying). Wad do u fink?
Re: Who Will Decode This For Me by dabrake(m): 9:45am On Aug 09, 2011
Sowie 4 d double posting. Dnt knw wads wrong wyt ma fone
Re: Who Will Decode This For Me by Beaf: 10:04am On Aug 09, 2011
This is the only unquestioned statement:

John said "I did not do it".
Re: Who Will Decode This For Me by dabrake(m): 10:39am On Aug 09, 2011
^^^
so Mr. Beaf, who is d only prsn speakin d truth/lying?
Re: Who Will Decode This For Me by Beaf: 4:25am On Aug 10, 2011
This is a problem that can be resolved with inference.

Alice said "Carlos did it". John said "I did not do it". Carlos said "Diana did it". Diana said "Carlos lied when he said I did it"

Carlos, Alice and Diana where on the scene and are all lying.
Alice said "Carlos did it". She has a very firm idea of who did it, therefore it is highly probable she was there.
Carlos said "Diana did it". Carlos also has a very unambigious idea of who did it, therefore it is also highly probable he was on the scene.
Diana said "Carlos lied when he said I did it" Carlos accused Diana because she was there. Diana accused Carlos of lying that she did it, she is implying that she knows that Carlos knows the real culprit like she does.

Diana and Alice accuse Carlos of lying, because they know who broke in.

John said "I did not do it". He only knows he did not do it. He has no idea of who is lying, neither has he been accused of lying, and thats because he wasn't there. John is telling the truth.
Re: Who Will Decode This For Me by Nobody: 5:10am On Aug 10, 2011

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Way To Make A Mobile Application User For Servicesgoo / . / Best Mobile Application Development Companies In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.