Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,295 members, 7,860,720 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:52 PM

Traffic On The Third Mainland. - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Traffic On The Third Mainland. (4872 Views)

Traffic On Abuja-keffi Road In Nyanya Today 25/02/15 ( Photo) / Tragic Accident On Third-mainland Bridge In Lagos / Photos: Volkswagen Passat Wagon ₦ 850,000 (negotiable) Lagos Mainland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by agabaI23(m): 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2011
femmy2010:

The major cause of the heavy traffic is [b]"impatience" [/b]on the part of drivers.

95% of traffic situations in Nigeria are caused by this factor. Give 5 % to bad roads and egunje police road blocks

Driver A B C D are following one another on their own side of the road with a reasonable gap between them. Driver E sees that no vehicle is going the opposite way, he drives and wants to enter between A and B and B refuses. Drivers F to J follows E and blocks the road. Keke enters in between and the logjam builds up.
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by eros(m): 9:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
lastpage:

@l.a.j
Some people are taking this as a "laughing matter" but seriously, l have spent the whole evening/night (6:30pm - 3am) on that Bridge only to get to the end and Find Nothing! Yes, no accident, no roll-over and no fighting!!

Not until l put on my "wonder Googles" and it happened to be a Wednesday! Wetin l see, my mouth no fit talk am!

Come see "awon emere ati Ajee Igbo Irunmole" that were erecting useless barricade (yea, invisible barricade! wink ) right in the middl of 3rd Mainland!

Right now, fashola is consulting on how they would shift their meeting days to Sundays (less people on the bridge) or avail of the "free rent multi-storey Plaza that would be built for their exclusive use", along the Lagos -Benin- Oore axis"

The thing is, this wicked trouble-makers insist they have right of way on that bridge and that the bridge should not have been built in that area, in the first place! I even hear them complain that they only "calmed down" because Molue's have been banned on that bridge, their noise use o be a source of headache (you know, when the conductor uses that iron to slam on the iron body of the Molue and then shouts "Gbo'rieee"!) for their little ones! That matter is still in court as we speak.

As for me, l have learnt to pour some "Ogogoro" on that bridge anytime l pass and its always been smooth sailing but as it is, the dangerous creatures seem to be getting used to Ogogoro and are beginning to get drunk and misbehave!

Guinness may be a better alternative for those of you that want to get home early and have a smooth ride to work!

By the way, dont share this information with anyone as we cant afford everyone pouring inflammable liquid like Ogogoro, into the Lagoon, at the same time, that would mean "top speed" for every one! And that itself can cause accidents!

(Pours more Ogogoro and spends ten minutes to get to Lagos Toll gate!)

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by stunna2(m): 10:37pm On Aug 09, 2011
Roland17:

The 3rd mainland bridge is the most popular access to the Island, and the island is not a just a residential area, it has got so many companies, thus the volume of vehicle commuting through the 3rd mainland bridge would remain enormous.

thank u! not enough access roads to the island is the problem, not a question of too many cars at all! one single city in a developed nation have more cars than all of niaja yet they do not have that kind of traffic jams!

but china takes the cake on this up to 9 days in traffic jam
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by NaijaNile: 11:24pm On Aug 09, 2011
I have thought about this problem many times too. Im my opinion, there are many factors causing the traffic:

1. Too many cars on the road - How many vehicles do you see going and comng from the island with only 1 or 2 people in them?
2. Believe it or not, most lagosians only know how to move a car but have absolutely no knowledge of traffic rules. Most of us learnt how to drive from our parents mechanics or friends or older siblings and so didnt learn traffic rules. That explains why someone coming form the island and going to Gbagada/Anthony/Maryland axis will be on the leftmost lane coming from the island and at the end of the bridge attempt to move over to the other right most lane to go to Gbagada. Multiply that by 1000 cars and you can imagine the effect.
3. Bad roads - the bad spot at ogudu used to cause traffic too, but since that has been fixed there is no issue here anymore. so the next spot is Alapere, from 3rd mainland (3/4 lanes) everyone now entering 2 lanes
4. Trucks: For the love of me, i can never understand why these moving death traps move during day/time or when people are supposed to be returning from work. What is difficult in passing a law that trailers should only move in that axis from 11pm till 5am?
5. I have also wondered why we cant think outside the box, going to the island in the morning, there is heavy traffic jam on the inward route and the other side (outbound) is EMPTY!!!. What is wrong in utilizing the entire bridge as inbound from between 6am - 9am and then releasing the outbound from 9am? people coming to the mainland can use carter or eko bridge, leaving one of eko or carter for ppl coming from surulere and those other axis? we can do the reverse in the eveing during close of work as well, all we need is to have proper traffic control at points where there could be problems.
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by hothead(m): 11:32pm On Aug 09, 2011
common guys i figured out the reason since i was 15 years old, heading to the Island from the mainland yeah, as soon as 3rd mainland bring ends, the road narrows up naturally, this point is called the bottle neck and at this same point the road narrows up even more artificially due to the bus stop there then the switching lane pattern of drivers as well at this point all add up to create the traffic,  Same goes for the opposite direction. Observe this and then come back here and query my answers, am waiting, on the interim check out my city
http://adeakure-sida.myminicity.com/
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by hothead(m): 11:33pm On Aug 09, 2011
common guys i figured out the reason since i was 15 years old, heading to the Island from the mainland yeah, as soon as 3rd mainland bridge ends, the road narrows up naturally, this point is called the bottle neck and at this same point the road narrows up even more artificially due to the bus stop there then the switching lane pattern of drivers as well at this point all add up to create the traffic,  Same goes for the opposite direction. Observe this and then come back here and query my answers, am waiting, on the interim check out my city http://adeakure-sida.myminicity.com/
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by igbsam(m): 11:54pm On Aug 09, 2011
NaijaNile:

I have thought about this problem many times too. Im my opinion, there are many factors causing the traffic:

1. Too many cars on the road - How many vehicles do you see going and comng from the island with only 1 or 2 people in them?
2. Believe it or not, most lagosians only know how to move a car but have absolutely no knowledge of traffic rules. Most of us learnt how to drive from our parents mechanics or friends or older siblings and so didnt learn traffic rules. That explains why someone coming form the island and going to Gbagada/Anthony/Maryland axis will be on the leftmost lane coming from the island and at the end of the bridge attempt to move over to the other right most lane to go to Gbagada. Multiply that by 1000 cars and you can imagine the effect.
3. Bad roads - the bad spot at ogudu used to cause traffic too, but since that has been fixed there is no issue here anymore. so the next spot is Alapere, from 3rd mainland (3/4 lanes) everyone now entering 2 lanes
4. Trucks: For the love of me, i can never understand why these moving death traps move during day/time or when people are supposed to be returning from work. What is difficult in passing a law that trailers should only move in that axis from 11pm till 5am?
5. I have also wondered why we cant think outside the box, going to the island in the morning, there is heavy traffic jam on the inward route and the other side (outbound) is EMPTY!!!. What is wrong in utilizing the entire bridge as inbound from between 6am - 9am and then releasing the outbound from 9am? people coming to the mainland can use carter or eko bridge, leaving one of eko or carter for ppl coming from surulere and those other axis? we can do the reverse in the eveing during close of work as well, all we need is to have proper traffic control at points where there could be problems.

You took that thought outta ma head. I was thinking the same thing. Bless u. I think this would be a preferred solution to ease the congestion of going to the island. At the other hand, how about returning back from the island ?
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by lastpage: 12:39am On Aug 10, 2011
@Totfulguy!
Very "thoughtful" of you to have written so "thoughtfully"! shocked
Let me quote a few things you said please!
@All:  This tread is getting interesting. I am not a Yoruba user, but what I can glean from the response to the post by L.A.J is that there is a 'spiritual' nay nocturnal underpinning to the traffic on the 3rd Mainland Bridge. That is very interesting! It would seem that every phonomenon in this part of the world has a 'spiritual' or rather 'spiritistic' or 'witchy' explanation. That is the bane of our civilization. This attitute has implications on our collective consciuosness and also affects our reality. It is rather sorry that a trend like the traffic on the Third Mainland Bridge, that should otherwise be the subject of serious discuss in academic and enlightened social circles is left to the realms of spiritual innuendos, emotional quips and explanation. It is the same spirit-inspired psyche that explains why accidents, armed robbery attacks, exam failures, power failure, looting of the national treasury, violation and child abuse are given spiritual explanantions. Thus when an accident occurs, it is not a drunk driver but an old woman in the village, a witch, that caused it. When a child or anyone for that matter fails an exam it is not a lack of preparation but a neighbour who does not want his progress. When our treasury is looted the witches and spirits are responsible not the looter (and the looting spirits discriminate because they never come my way).
You mean you know all these things and you still claim you're NOT YORUBA? I hereby confer you with YORUBA identity henceforth! Receive it NOW!!

One of the poster suggested that the spirits are angry because of their loss of accomodation arising from the Attention of the bridge. Nothing could be more humourous. That statement suggests that the spirits in this water lost their home and obviously could not find an alternative accomodation and so create the traffic situation that we see on the bridge. This will imply that the spirits do not have the adaptability or knowhow to find alternative accomodation. Such untested and baseless assumption is nothing short of native intelligence.
Dont misquote or misrepresent the spirits please. They do NOT want to relocate ANYWHERE! Did you not read that a "free of rent" Plaza was being constructed for them and they refused the offer? This "Irunmoles" are stubborn o!

Recently, the Chinese government unveiled the world longest bridge over water, the Jiaozhou Bay Bridge (Pictures attached) this bridge is known to be earthquake and typhoon proof. With the sheer size and length of this bridge, one wonders how many Chinese spirits, witches and demons were rendered homeless and had to relocate. Am saying they relocated because there is no hold up on that bridge that is reputed to have the capacity to carry 30,000 vehicles at a go. Is it possible that the Chinese witches and spirits are smarter than their Nigerian counterparts? Could that be why we also open our borders to the Chinese to bring in their substandard goods because their people are smarter than we are? It probably also explains why they are in a hurry to develop their country while we are sitting back and seeking spiritistic explanations for our failings.

Hmmm, omode o'mogun, on'pe ni Salad! (A small child does not recognize Shigidi, im dey call am Salad!  grin I am not referring to you o!)
Now that you mentioned the Chinese, their own Aje and Emere are even worse!
When they built the "fastest Rail" recently and the "Chinko Irunmoles" said it was too fast, as they could not do their "hop-on and hop-off", at will (thats their method of causing confusion on the rail-flight!).
The Govt did not listen and within two weeks, they caused a very deadly head-on collision on the hi-teck train! Nice peoplelike you called it "Signal failure" but do not know that "awon Aje" are signaling expert! Or how come the slower speed Train did not crash within two weeks of commission?
Look, our own Witches are even nice, except when they are too drunk to be nice to anybody!

It appears too that the witches are responsible for the potholes on our roads and the blackouts that we experience on a daily basis; Witches are possibly responsible for the poor governance that has been our portion in this country.

Why are you acting like you have never seen these Aje's, Irunmoles and Emere's before, when you actually encounter then every day?

Ask yourself this: if Potholes cause accidents, accidents kill people and spill blood on the roads.
If blackouts make people buy Generator and make thieves have a field day (stealing and killing).
At least, all the above combined, spills about a thousand innocent blood daily!

Government knows this for the last twenty years but refused to even fill the Potholes, refuse to give us "NEPA" with all the "fake, Up NEPA" we use to shout at them, and even more, we have been having the bad governance since 1973 When OBJ became Head of State! And he came back again 23 years later!
ask yourself: WHY?
Answer: The Aje's, Emere's, Irunmole's and their cousin, Iyemoja's, needs to drink blood regularly! Thats why!

And for good measure, we will NEVER have good government that will put a stop to all these things because the Aje's, Irunmoles and Emere's have taken over our governance! THEY ARE THE ONES RULING US!

Look at Abacha, Look at OBJ, Look at Yar Ardul just before he travel to Saudi Arabia (he wanted to show us his true semblance o! shocked ), look into those eyes of Oju'yobo and tell "yourself" that you have NOT seen any of these spirits!
tongue wink

Why do you think Nigerian Youths are so helpless (unlike their Tunisian counterparts) against this "level 19" witches and Irunmoles? Dem too wicked faah!

Look, if you live in the U.K, tighten your girdle, some imported Chinese Emere's and Aje's are setting that place on fire for Nine good days!
We are just on day 4 abi? Just count for me (I told you not to mess with Chinese Wizard and witches! Did l not?) kiss

My take on this spirit and witch psyche that we have all embraced as a nation (which I reject) is that until we begin to explain our failings,problems,ineptitude and poor judgement from ourselves before pointing fingers at non-existent courses, solution will forever elude us.

NB: Pls pardon any grammatikal, typografical or spelling error(s) that you may have seen in the post. They were not the work of spirits or witches. The erros are mine and I will correct them myself because I know better than attribute them to someone else.
See what l am saying, how can a man know he is doing something WRONG and is helpless to correct himself? The witches and Aje's are making you helpless! Just correct the darn "errors" instead of apologizing! This Witches dont take sorry, walahi!  Or have you ever seen Irunmole accepting ordinary sorry, instead of some very tight "Seaman Aromatic Schnapps with bitter Kola"? grin
Please pour some Ogogoro on the floor and carry go, God be with you, Walahi! kiss
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by KayDee4: 4:53am On Aug 10, 2011
Story Story,  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,  .  ,   . ,   . . . . . . . ,   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  ,   . . . . . . . . ,   . . . ,

U guys have chased people away from this thread.   undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

lastpost on the lastpage by "lastpage".
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by laj1(m): 7:44am On Aug 10, 2011
@ eros

o seore mi.ko ye won ni.o de ti ja won si.
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by mithel(m): 11:01am On Aug 10, 2011
hehehe,lastpage na confirmed weyray,see in last reply wan make ppl around me tin say sometin dey worry me.i just dey laff.yeye boy.
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by pdozie: 2:14pm On Aug 10, 2011
NaijaNile:

Nice one.Most people rightly gave the reasons for the traffic but few actually gave solutions/suggestions.
@NaijaNile that was a nice one. I know that solution is applied on Dopemu bridge where vehicles are allowed to follow both lanes during evening times (high traffic time).This is basically managing what we have.

We then have to serious think of expanding on what we have. Build new bridges, expand on water transportation, build train lanes from VI to mainland,
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by lastpage: 10:29pm On Aug 10, 2011
@mithel

hehehe,lastpage na confirmed weyray,see in last reply wan make ppl around me tin say sometin dey worry me.i just dey laff.yeye boy.

Heen, old man like me na yeye boy, abi? shocked

Okay, l apologize (and this apology is not to some "winches and winzards"!) to everybody, l must have been "staying too close" to those peeps drinking too much Sheepeee, on the Island! Me baad!

I think the Govt needs to take a second look at "Feeder Roads"
as this, in addition to what have been said, will unlock the misery we endure on the 3rd mainland.

Some years ago, returning from work in V.I. towards 3rd Mainland, l would pass through Osbourne road but when it gets too tight, l could change to the Obalende- Osbourne road and link the same 3rd Mainland at Obalende.

If that does not work, I would snail through Central Lagos and link Idumota, pass through Otto, Iddo, Oyingbo and then through M/Mohhammed way, link the 3rd mainland at Adekunle or Ebutte-Metta!

If that fails again, l could just go the other way via Bar beach, link the 3rd mainland through Awolowo Way (around the Nursing school) or l could just feel like slugging it through Apongbon, to Costain and from there, link Oyingbo then 3rd Mainland!

The Other option is to go towards Stadium and do a detour to Yaba or Onipan and from there, l could link the 3rd Mainland.

Why have l gone through all this elaborate, "conductor-style" explanations?

I am trying to show that if Govt invests in "rehabilitating Feeder Roads", it would ease pressure on the main artery which the 3rd mainland is.

People can link it at various places if the feeder roads are well repaired!

And we can call the bluff of the darn witches! Not again!! shocked shocked I mean make it through to our destination on time! grin grin
Re: Traffic On The Third Mainland. by Gbenge77(m): 2:49pm On Aug 11, 2011
We ve got some interesting posts right here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Newly Arrived 2007 Honda Accord(evil Spirit)for Sale Price 2.9m Asking / Clean Mercedes Cls 500 (06 Model) N5.5m / tokunbo toyota sienna 99/00 @ 950k & 01/02 @ 1,150m sold! sold!! sold!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.