Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli - Music Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music Business / How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli (424 Views)

5 Proven Steps To Get Your Songs On Top 100 Apple Music Nigeria Chart / Promote Your Songs On Cool Fm And Other Radio Stations / Promo!!!promote Your Songs On NAIJAFLAVER And TOOXCLUSIVE For Just #500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 1:08pm On Sep 06, 2022
How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli

I’ve been producing music, podcasts, radio jingles and a wide variety of audio works for over 15 years. And I’ve have a lot of experience with both upcoming and established artistes during this period.

Speaking of upcoming artistes, I discovered that many have a hard time choosing the right producer for their music. And when a song is poorly produced, it sometimes leads to quarrels between the producer and artiste.

This doesn’t necessarily mean the producer or artiste is wack. It could just be a lack of chemistry and musical understanding between the two.

So, if you’re an upcoming artiste that hasn’t been able to find a producer to work with, allow me to share some tips on how to choose the right producer for your music!

1. Find out the producer's favorite genre

Do you know that music producers are also music fans? This means they too have a musical genre that they prefer, and the genre they prefer would be evident in their production styles.

This is why you need to understand a producer's preferred genre, and see if it matches with yours before you work with them.

If your producer is a staunch 90’s hip hop head, then you shouldn’t expect them to produce a standout Hi-life tune for you.

I’m not saying they can’t, I’m just saying your production has a better chance of success if you and your producer share interests in the same genre of music.

Just imagine Dr. Dre producing for Bright Chimezie!

2. Accept that they can’t do it all

A Jack of all trades is usually a master of none, and the same applies to music production.

Some producers are good with drums, but poor in mixing. Some are good with the keyboard, but are poor in song arrangement.

Once you understand this, then you’d realize that your producer doesn’t have to do it all.

For this reason, don’t look at your producer as a rookie if they bring in a guitarist, drummer, or mixing engineer to work on your music.

You should actually be glad they did, because it means the producer understands their strengths, and are willing to bring in other professionals on-board to make up for their weaknesses!

And it’s all in an effort to make your song as dope as possible!

I’ll use Dr. Dre as an example again. Do you know that Dre uses a lot of guest instrumentalists to make his beats?

Scott Storch and Mel Man are among Dre's trusted co-producers!

3. Make sure they are experienced

Experience is the best teacher of a skill, including production. This is why you need to find out how long a producer has been active in the craft before you entrust your work in their hands.

With enough experience, a producer will understand their strengths and weaknesses. Experience will also make them understand your own strengths and weaknesses as an artiste.

And you know what they say – A problem can only be solved only when it has been identified.

An experienced producer will be able to identify the problems with your songs, and will know exactly what to do to fix it.
These are the kinds of producers you should work with!

4. Realize it is their job to produce, not yours

It’s okay to pitch your song ideas to your producer. But also keep in mind that the way you envision a song at home could be different from the way your producer envisions it in the studio.

I can’t count how many times I’ve switched up an artiste's idea into something better. All I had to do was improve on the original idea they had, and the songs came out doper than they expected.

This wouldn’t have been possible without trust on the part of the artiste.

Sometimes, you just have to let the producer produce. Also keep in mind that there’s always room for improvement. And it is up to you to discuss any dissatisfaction you have with the finished product.

5. Realize that music production is a job, not charity work

Music production is hard, and it’ll be a shame if the brains behind it aren’t properly compensated for their work.
Simply put – Make sure you pay your producers what they ask for, or at least an amount that’s close to it.

As long as you’re sure the producer knows what they’re doing, then you shouldn’t be afraid to invest good money in them.

It’s better to spend N50,000 once on good production, than spend N10,000 ten times on poor production!

After all, you want to blow and make big money like Wizkid right?

The investment is worth it!

And guys, please don’t tell your producer things like – “Bros, abeg run am for me for 5k, you know say if my song blow then you sef don blow be that o”.

I hope these tips will be helpful to you, and any other upcoming artiste you know.

Good luck folks!

Written By Amechi Okoli (+2348033422206)

2 Likes

Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by bazestop(m): 4:04pm On Sep 11, 2022
Hi guys the name is Bazestop Beat, if you need any type of afrobeat for your project i can help you with that no problem for a small fee. Hit me up +2348137846828

Also Checkout my Beat Store for samples https://player.beatstars.com/?storeId=130693
Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 7:44am On Dec 30, 2022
Amaechi my guy. You dey try.

1 Like

Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 4:22am On Jan 01, 2023
AderonkeOlaniyi:
Amaechi my guy. You dey try.

Thanks ma!
Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by VibesTheAlpha: 8:52pm On Jan 08, 2023
A beat for all artists...groove so smooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__P-64bPEYE
Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by VibesTheAlpha: 8:52pm On Jan 08, 2023
A beat for all artists...groove so smooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__P-64bPEYE
Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 5:00pm On Jun 01, 2023
Music business tips
Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 7:44am On Dec 04, 2023
Work with a professional today!
Re: How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 4:34pm On Dec 06, 2023
Music business tips!

(1) (Reply)

Got Songs You Need To Record ???? / New Management Looking For Upcoming Act To Promote / Music Production,affordable And Of Quality Standard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.