Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,623 members, 7,816,567 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? (4395 Views)

Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly / Bankers' Warehouse Plc Is A Cheat And Slave Land. / Interview At Michael Stevens Consulting For Bankers (BO - AM) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by DaKnight(m): 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2007
what in heaven's sake is going on in this country? all our engineers are getting bank jobs!!! "No sweat, I am sure they are in the I.T. dept", u say. HELL NO!!! they are all marketers, ops staff, u name it!!! Nairalanders, don't we think something should be done to stem this tide? i speak as an Engineer working in a bank, grin wink angry
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by Banderas(m): 5:30pm On Aug 17, 2007
And why not? The Banking industry hires more people than any other industry. They also want people with analytical ability, hence the preference for engineers.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by DisGuy: 5:36pm On Aug 17, 2007
that career move is still okay as long as they get some training in the core aspect of the job not marketing n co, But Biology students working in banks shocked
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by DaKnight(m): 5:53pm On Aug 17, 2007
Dis Guy:

, But Biology students working in banks shocked
i've seen quite a lot of them too. !!! to cap it all i've seen Doctors in Banks!!!! what really piques me is that whenver Shell, Chevron, etc and the like hold tests, these ones( me included) turn up for it. 2 me it shows a level of dissatisfaction with what they r doing. undecided
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by damkollins(m): 5:58pm On Aug 17, 2007
Dis Guy:

that career move is still okay as long as they get some training in the core aspect of the job not marketing n co, But Biology students working in banks shocked
My friend,it's only because of Job that an engineer will only work in a bank.Career-wise,there is nothing for an engineer in the sector.At best when you can't run out again,the next option is to go for MBA.It's really a BRAIN-DRAIN for the engineering industry and indeed a BRAIN-GAIN for the Banking sector.
But what can man do?After graduation,how many engineering firms are there for u?Virtually none!Julius Berger-only comes out in the news!The rest indeginous firms are ready to part with 20K for an engineering graduate!So tell me how he won't go to a bank whose minimum will be 50K?Are we not going to the same market?
It is the situation of the country that warranted this and I think it's high time COREN and NSE find something to do b4 we lost all our engineers to the banking sector.

1 Like

Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by DisGuy: 6:02pm On Aug 17, 2007
It has a lot to do with the society at the moment, after studying flesh and bones for several years why would any doctor want to work in the bank?

One can understand numerous openings in some big companies like shell and co but in a bank? what position will tehy move up to after the entry level?
I dont know how promotions are done in Nigerian banks but I guess people with finance/accounting/business management backgrounds are more likely to move up the career ladder in banks faster than microbiologist
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by kolahinmi(m): 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2007
Hi all,
I so much like this topic because it has become a source of concern for me.I dont blame the engineers working in bank because our society does not place value on them.This guys study for 5 + X years only to be paid crumbles while his guys that were in Faculty of admin or Social Sciences get paid twice or thrice as much as he does,finally to cap it all he starts to receive all manner of insults if he decide to stay on the engineering line.The NSE has not come to face the fact that engineering is gradually dying in Nigeria instead of trying to stem this tide they are busy with other ventures.I believe the govt and the society should learn to place more value on this upcoming professional (engineers,doctors etc).Presently I am still in engineering line with aim of entering NSE so as to rewrite this anomaly.I believe the NSE has lost touch with the present reality.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by shazeez(m): 8:31pm On Aug 17, 2007
True talk! One third of graduating engineers get to work in an engineering related company, another one third get bank jobs while the last one third will gladly grab any kind of paid employment they see. After all the dy/dx u go come go siddon 4 bank, so much for being an engineer!
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by okeyz(m): 10:51pm On Aug 17, 2007
It is the country that will be worse for it ,look at US there is a big decline of graduates studying engineering and oil related courses ,due to the massive retrenchment the oil and gas industry is known for ,now they are recruiting returning soldiers,mechanics,retired athletes,wrestlers e.t.c and training them as field engineers,it will soon get to that stage in this country when they will start begging people to study engineering courses with great incentives.

The old guys are getting near to their retirement and when they retire who will mann all the multimillion dollar oil and gas facilities in this country (thats is when they start working).
And i feel its because of the decay in the infastructures in this country ,the 4 refineries are not working ,ajokuta steel ind,is grounded and many other small and medium scale industries grounded coupled with the falling standard of education especially technical courses in the tertiary institutions,what do u expect?

After spending 5yrs + in school u cant just fold ur arms and let ur brain go dormant ! the banks are helping but that will not bring us at par with the industrialised nations of the world,Nigeria have the brains the resources and the capacity to be an industrialised nation ,but with ENGINEERS WORKING IN BANKS!!! shocked it will take some time to achieve that.

The government has no plan for the Nigerian youth let alone graduates,there are some engineering graduates that will prefer to keep lookig for that oil and gas job were he knows he will be very relevant than work behind a counter or go begging for people to come and open account with their banks,but when the government has no plan in place for such dreams to be actualised u cannot blame the poor graduate,who wants to start reaping the fruits of his labour as they say "when the desired is not available ,the available becomes desired".

We engineers should take heart ,time will come when we will be the toast of the oil and gas ,manufacturing companies in Nigeria and beyond,things will definitely change ,just keep attending certification courses,cos when it starts ,its going to be another "HURRICANE GET ANY AVAILABLE ENGINEERING GRADUATES".
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by zaree: 12:12pm On Aug 18, 2007
u guyz v all spoken well but to tell u d truth, i work in a bank n also studied engineering.i hv neva regretd takin dat decision but in as much as am dere am also searchin for engineering related jobz.do u hv 2 blame mi?In a country like nigeria i say once u re doin anytin n u derive pleasure at d moment with it my friend ride on.All we need to do is to be focusd n i gues u would smile at d end of it.focusd in d sense dat i say i ve given myslf 2-3 yrs in banking get 1 or 2 things n move on n who say d experience is not relevant, i tell u it is. Do u ever think dat one day this so calld engineers in the bank culd b d C.E.O of an engineering company n probable v business to do with other organisation like d bank etc,he/she can bring his experience to bear with d bank.To my engineering Guyz i say carry on.After all if dont have a job people would still critisize but b focus.Engineering for life,
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by extype: 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2007
also an engineer with zenith bank. wat can a brother do. they say at all at all na bad pass. lets all manage the bank first and pray for sth better.engieering 4 life.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by DaKnight(m): 5:24pm On Aug 21, 2007
havn seen all u guyz have said, i b'lieve the issue here is a choice btw cash n career!!! money talks wink heard of a popular engineering firm that pays 30k. its insulting angry many, myself included, would rather take a plum bank job and pray the oil companies or the telecoms would notice us someday. others do a total career change and go 4 an MBA. either way, money talks grin. shine ur eyes shocked
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by othuke: 9:34am On Aug 22, 2007
DAKNIGHT. I just want to thank you for raising this topic. its really intresting and i just hope any of our Govt people,oil coy and telecomms personnel are reading all these post. Engine 4 life
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by oloolo: 12:21pm On Aug 22, 2007
IT'S NOT THE BEST FOR THE ECONOMY, IT'S A BIG WASTE BECAUSE THE COST OF TRAINING AN ENGINEER IS BY FAR GREATER THAN THE COST OF TRAINING A BANKER SO IT 'S A BIG WASTE, BUT IN THIS PEROID WHEN GRADUATES ROAM THE STREETS FOR JOBS ,A BANK JOB IS BETTER THAT NO JOB OR SOME LOW PAYING ENGINEERING JOB WHERE U GET USED MORE LIKE A TECHINCIAN, ENGINEERS WITH BANK JOBS HOLD YOUR JOBS TIGHT,ME SEF DEY LOOK FOR ONE smiley
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by muchluv(m): 1:15pm On Aug 22, 2007
a lot of we engineers dont really see the future. we are engroosed in this huge get money fast scheme. im also a victim wht do you expect when u finish school and u realize you have a lot on your shoulders, i mean guyz lets face the fact if you value the engineering proffesion then youy would accept the 30k job for a start and get the experience then we can face shell and all the other E&P as professionals wit experience. Its worth doing what you luv, but the bank pays what the hell?,
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by damkollins(m): 1:23pm On Aug 22, 2007
DaKnight:

havn seen all u guys have said, i b'lieve the issue here is a choice between cash n career!!! money talks wink heard of a popular engineering firm that pays 30k. its insulting angry many, myself included, would rather take a plum bank job and pray the oil companies or the telecoms would notice us someday. others do a total career change and go 4 an MBA. either way, money talks grin. shine your eyes shocked
Some pay as low as 18K.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by REZIGIRL(f): 2:36pm On Aug 22, 2007
God bless the author of this thread. So we have a lot of engineers in this nairaland.

This is really a big concern to the engineering society in Nigeria. And I believe that's why we this generation of nigerian engineers should take our stand and not just accept anything less. Imagine us all being in NSE and the so called COREN, then definitely there'll be a future for engineers in this nation, cos I can really see the passion with which contributions have been made in this thread.

I believe we can cause a change of event in this nation if we really want to. It's a pity I never registered as a student member to NSE while in school, so right now I have to wait till next year to meet the compulsory 4 years post graduation or 3 years working experience to become an active NSE member.

I also want to call on you guys out there, even those in the banks to show interest in this NSE and let's see how we can turn things around in this nation. Imagine the author of this thread as the NSE president, I am convinced he will do something and not just fold his arms.

Again, I agree with Muchluv, it's not all about the money. To me my career matters. I've not spent 5 stress filled years to study mechanical engineering to end up as a banker. I started with a 30k job after nysc in an engineering firm, the pay's better now, but can't in anyway be compared with the experience I've gathered in this past 2 years. It's worth it, if that's ur decision. Even if I cannot enter shell, chevron and so on at a graduate level, I know that I'll definitely get there with my experience. Truth is I'm happy I accepted the offer then, cos I was almost tempted to go for diamond bank because of the pay.

To all concerned, one love and I wish u all God's favour. Whatever u're doing now, banking or engineering, do it with all dilligence. A dilligent man will stand b4 great men.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by mamto: 5:12pm On Aug 22, 2007
ooh, oooooh, oooh what is happening in this country? i myself, i'm an engineer working with Oceanic Bank Int'l plc at Katsina. in the first place i had not wanted to go for the aptitude test, cos i feel is not my dream profession to work with. But later i was being counceled by my elders to accept it for the time being.
well, i am now in oppressions(funds transfer local). I may say the department is not that bad cos most things are computer work, and it so happened that i know many bussiness application packages and i am very proficient in handling computer. that made it easy 4 me to grasped it fast.WELL THE WORK IS INTERESTING BUT I WOULD GO BACK TO MY PROFESSION IF ANY SLIGHTEST OPPORTUNITY WARRANT ITSELFE
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by ayanbukun(m): 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2007
I'm also an engineer with firstbank I'm a teller i.e in tellering. The good thing about banking and engineers it the rate at which we perform. but fellow engineers we need 2 get out quick, else we 4get everything abt engrg
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by dagashini: 8:51pm On Aug 22, 2007
listen and listen good! banking is all about intellingence ,and intelligence can be found in any discipline or institution(basis of recruitment) but there are some strategic positions that some discipline cannot occupy.
Don't be sick if you studied marketing.
Marketing is not a professional job.Any body can market once you have the zeal and drive for success.Many marketing students can't even construct a good sentence.
Bsc does not make you an expert in a field,it is only when you begin to streamline(masters, doctorate) then you can say I have this knowledge,so I can do this job better.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by bruce(m): 9:44pm On Aug 22, 2007
Some of you so-called engineer are beginning to bite the fingers (Banks) that are feeding you. Don't make the banking industry look like an irrelevant last resort. If you guys make it look like a trash bin, then who are the trashes been deposited into into? It is as important if not more important than the engineering field. Don't make it look less important. it is the most vibrant and recruiting industry in the country and a great catalyst for economic growth and development.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by DisGuy: 1:18am On Aug 23, 2007
@Bruce, i dont think anyone is making the accommodating banking sector thrashy, you have to understand some people's skills will be under-utilised and the career goals will remain unfulfilled in the long run if they dont go for extra course or a complete career change in the future

I also want to call on you guys out there, even those in the banks to show interest in this NSE and let's see how we can turn things around in this nation. Imagine the author of this thread as the NSE president, I am convinced he will do something and not just fold his arms.
lets be honest most of those chairman/president can only bark not teeth whatsoever, they'll probably have another workshop/seminar/talk shop the usually gathering -these drink ups are annoying common in Nigeria sha, they cant force the employers to pay, there are no standard market rate in the (local) sector so most people dont know how much they should be getting
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by ojesymsym: 10:13am On Aug 23, 2007
The truth is that no country can grow without paying attention to education and its technogical sector. When a nation is described as first world or industrialize, it is not because of the number of banks they have but their technogical development. All hands should be on deck to ensure that technogy grows in this country, coz, it will benefit everyone. Right now, the banking sector absorbs so many people, what do u think wud then happen if they were factories scattered all over, these factories wud employ engineers, but they will not only need engineers, they will also need accountants, managers, marketers, etc. that will be the direct effect, dont forget that this will mean that the banks will have more money to contend with hence the need to employ more hands, other secondary companies will show up, that is not counting the tax that will accrue.
I feel that we engineers especially the youngs ones now should stand up and do something about the precedence. Our government have constantly shown that they cannot do anything, no need to rely on them, lets look up to Japan, China and other countries that have taken up such challenges. I believe we have the materials to make the required change but not the right initiative. Let us start something like a forum for engineers where we could share ideas, coz, some have briliant ideas, others have the gift and the skills needed, some have the resources required others experience. We all will have a quota to contribute, let us get the ball rolling let us stop winning. there a number of things we can do, lets us take renewable energy for example and a host of others. we will start a forum on what we should do to generate new innovations and do something first for ourselves and then translate to the nation, thanks
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by dellaz(f): 12:53pm On Aug 23, 2007
Hmmmm,i luv this topic!
As an engineer i i would also like to say i find it apallin that
i should av to work in a bank! I mean after 5+x years in d UNI
it shldnt be, but then i also realize dat we learn more of theories in school!!!!!!

Well i believe also dat d fact dat u've studied Engineering doesnt mean dat's ur true callin
besides we are underpaid in most industries where u put ur skills to use. I think d only sector
dat pays u ur worth is d Oil Gas but then not evry1 can find a job there!

As much as it seems unappealing to work in a Bank,if d pay is gud n u luv wat u do Y not?
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by DaKnight(m): 6:53pm On Aug 28, 2007
bruce:

Some of you so-called engineer are beginning to bite the fingers (Banks) that are feeding you. Don't make the banking industry look like an irrelevant last resort. If you guys make it look like a trash bin, then who are the trashes been deposited into into? It is as important if not more important than the engineering field. Don't make it look less important. it is the most vibrant and recruiting industry in the country and a great catalyst for economic growth and development.

amie, don't get us wrong. we love the banking industry. 4 some of us that work close to I.T, its cool. others would confirm that it is an interesting field(ie bankn). we r just lamenting the state of the nation.
IS THERE ANY1 IN THE HOUSE WHO CAN GET THESE THREAD TO STAKEHOLDERS? THOSE WHO CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE TREND? undecided
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by bruce(m): 9:05pm On Aug 31, 2007
If that be the case, I concur and sympathise with the Engineers.

And pray that the appropriate authorities should do something about it.

More so that the development in the economy will be diversified.
Re: Engineers Converted 2 "bankers"!? by obiugbe: 2:52am On Sep 01, 2007
my guys,let them work even in hospital theatres,afterall,that is what this country need.when they advertise 4 any position,they will tell you,100yrs experince and you should not be more than 24yrs.
i don tire 4 this stagnant nation.

(1) (Reply)

Spring Bank Has Called Atlast / Prices Of Tokunbo Buses In Lagos / Amcon/hcdc Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.