Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,660 members, 7,816,692 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating (7246 Views)

5 Things You Need To Survive In The Real World As A Nigerian Graduate / First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating / 3 Tips Any Graduate Can Use To Land A Job They Want (podcast) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 12:25pm On Aug 10, 2011
Right now i hate Nigeria more than any other place in the world. How long would we keep on living a life of frustration? How long do we keep on believing that things will get better? That there will be jobs for the qualified? That people without connections will ever be heard? What havent i tried to do in this life? But things never work out. I guess i should take it that i am jinxed right? I watch people who dont even have an IQ of 20% get those jobs because of connections. Please do not tell me to keep praying. I am tired of that already. I cant cry any more. I cant wait anymore.
Now you wonder why females have no other option but to sell themselves to make money right? Have you ever sat down to think about what happens to people who has got so much potentials but never the chance to showcase it? Business? There is never capital for that. No body wants to invest in your dreams even if its lucrative. Am i just supposed to accept defeat and relapse into nothingness? This is how serial killers are made. So much bitterness, so much anger, so much hate.
I never wanted anything like freebies. I want to work and earn my keep. I want to be satisfied with being useful to myself. But alas, this is Nigeria my fatherland,my motherland and they have made me handicapped and useless to myself and family.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by afrobaby(f): 1:24pm On Aug 10, 2011
Nigeria, when will ur salvation come,
who will save u, oh nigeria
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2011
@poster
channel this bitterness/hate/frustration into doing something POSITIVE. going into ashewo biz is definitely NOT the way to go for any smart person (unless they like to please like that).

the fact that you are frustrated is not making it any easy BUT being patient doesnt mean ¨accepting defeat¨, it simply means our time hasnt come yet.
being pissed at the whole system surely wont help either!
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by yamakuza: 8:55am On Aug 11, 2011
OP, u sound very intelligent and hardworking. Try sell urself here. I'm sure you'll get a few offers.

For starters, y not shed more light on your qualifications and what u've done, been doing, have tried to do or are doing.

Also tell us what kind of job or business u have ur mind on.

More to come.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by blank(f): 1:20pm On Aug 11, 2011
@ poster, please stop whining. I don't mean to be rude but how can you say people that are getting jobs is cos they have connections? I am sure that you are one of the girls that go to school and read social works and expect an international job to be waiting for you. Are your mates not writing aptitude tests and passing? Do they have 10 heads.

If you are as intelligent as you say u are, you should be able to pass an aptitude test at least. Or maybe you were playing when your mates were reading and passing their JAMB now you are too old for most jobs. Maybe you got a job of 30k and instead of managing it, you want the job of 500k. The only thing your mind can come up with is to sell your body.

Please go ahead, don't let anyone stop you. For you to even consider it means you have been doing it before. Abeg, abeg abeg. Make man pikin hear word. Connections get people jobs but others work hard and get a job.

Quit the pity party, dust off your CV, (get someone to write a very good one including a cover letter), invest in making yourself more employable and then get busy. If you need help in how to do it, let the forum know and someone will help you out.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 6:59pm On Aug 11, 2011
@ blank. I read through the first time and i saw red. Then i tried to be calm while reading through the second time. Like a bull the piece of red the bull sees and then charges at the matador holding it. I also dont mean to be rude but you sure are very stupid, then silly to politely insult me. If you werent so guilty because you are one of those gals that their daddy bribed into an organisation, you would have realizes i didnt say all. Or you lost your coke bottles?
Who the hell are you to classify social science courses like social works as inferior and so not meriting jobs compared to other courses. It goes to show the level of your stupidity again. For your information i have a degree in computer science. I have also writen tests, been called for interviews even by nestle. Its either i cant drive or they eventually dont reply. Who are you to decide in that your overipe head that i have never writen any tests or passed?
If i got a 30k job and i end up not spending it all on t-fare, i wouldnt come here and start this thread numskull. You just come here with a judgemental attitude and spew all sorts of rubbish out of that sewer you call a mouth.
I have not sold my body yet to even a soul. My situation just made me see a different side of people who do. Instead of being judgemental, i saw why they end up doing it. But obviously you smelly tad have been selling it on credit or for a mere bottle of fanta since age 9. If you were so irritated or disgusted by the thread, why didnt you just crawl past into the anthole where you live? Was a gun pointed at your stupid head that you had to? No you had to prove aproko and reply. Who the hell are you? A demi-god who passes judgements? Just thank your ancestors in the village that i dont know you personally because i would have given you a deserving backhand slap and wring your fowl neck. I will soon write some codes that will slap children of threads or this fora.
Ms cv writer welldone. I can imagine the old school cv and cover letter you will be writing. My dear it didnt get you the job cos i beat the hr personnel burnt it when he saw it. Na your papa things help you, or better still ur intimate skills. Invest on making myself employable? See, it never sank into your thick skull that i aint got the cash. Pity.
Dont ever annoy me ok? As i dey here i de see red.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by yamakuza: 7:36pm On Aug 11, 2011
Geeky, abeg no vex.

Back to the topic, programmers are in high demand na.

What core IT skills do u possess?
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 7:55pm On Aug 11, 2011
@ afrobaby, mrjaybrown, yamakuza. Thanks for your comments. Appreciate them.
I have a degree in computer science and though i am very eager to learn more, i have never been able to afford the fees of these IT schools. I can design websites and i have been earning my keep since 2006 since i graduated by hustling. If i cant do a site due to my limited knowledge, i will get who can do it and get my cut. Most times it goes taking care of my siblings needs.
If i even got a good IT company to intern with, i wont mind because it means i get to learn for free somehow. I aint afraid to be hardworking, i do my share and more.
Have worked in a couple of places after service. The first was a MFB where i was being paid 20k monthly to do thrift collecting. I left there because i wasnt contented to work with people who didnt want to move ahead and improve the finances of the bank. Half the workers were 65 year olds who it seemed the salary was pension. The other youths where just using the bank to while away time. During the five months i stayed with them, i introduced a couple of schemes that they implemented and still use today.
I have worked for a stock brokerage firm as a marketer during the stock market crash. I had a monthly target of 5million naira per month. When you dont meet that target, you get a miserly 10k for transport and calls. At the end of the month, when i calculated my t-fare, the 10k was just 45 percent of it. So i quit. But for the two months i worked there i also introduced a scheme of deposits from investors that was implemented even in the lagos branch. And i got them an investor in the first month.
I have help a few people with money spining business ideas and they were able to implement it and come back to thank me because they had the funds for it. Right now i have researched on one business which is unique to Nigeria, have samples and have test run it. People who saw the adverts and want it calls me everyday but no investor to fund it. All marketing strategies have been drawn and plotted by me, with plan A,B, and even C. But no investors.
Im a critic so it makes me a perfectionist. Chances are before you tell me im wrong, i would have already seen it and started correcting it.
I get a thrill from plotting strategies and solving seemingly insurmountable problems in businesses. To me its like trying to find a way out of a maze or labyrinth. I wont rest till i solve it.
I am loyal to a fault to people that deserve it. People have called me proactive. I am not contented with just sitting there and earning my salary, i will try to contribute or improve the company.
And thats just about 10 percent of my skills. I have done a lot online. Addwords, addsence, surveys, even forex. So i never sat down and waited for freebies at any point in my life.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by yamakuza: 9:03pm On Aug 11, 2011
Speechless.

U sure can sell.

Will just wait for the big people on NL to drop more comments.

While we are waiting, I'm wondering how many zillions ur said project is to take.

I'm also wondering while you haven't been smiling to the bank with all your online escapades like half the people on NL do, and using the funds for IT certs.

Finally, i take it that you arent into programming.

Will wait for others to contribute.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by yamakuza: 9:11pm On Aug 11, 2011
^ this is in response to ur 3rd post. Who swallowed it?
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 9:29pm On Aug 11, 2011
@ yamakuza. Nairaland swallowed it. For no reason at all the anti-spam bot seized my forum priviledges and i am yet to find out why. But i did reply y'all.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by yamakuza: 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2011
Geeky:

@ afrobaby, mrjaybrown, yamakuza. Thanks for your comments. Appreciate them.
I have a degree in computer science and though i am very eager to learn more, i have never been able to afford the fees of these IT schools. I can design websites and i have been earning my keep since 2006 since i graduated by hustling. If i cant do a site due to my limited knowledge, i will get who can do it and get my cut. Most times it goes taking care of my siblings needs.
If i even got a good IT company to intern with, i wont mind because it means i get to learn for free somehow. I aint afraid to be hardworking, i do my share and more.
Have worked in a couple of places after service. The first was a MFB where i was being paid 20k monthly to do thrift collecting. I left there because i wasnt contented to work with people who didnt want to move ahead and improve the finances of the bank. Half the workers were 65 year olds who it seemed the salary was pension. The other youths where just using the bank to while away time. During the five months i stayed with them, i introduced a couple of schemes that they implemented and still use today.
I have worked for a stock brokerage firm as a marketer during the stock market crash. I had a monthly target of 5million naira per month. When you dont meet that target, you get a miserly 10k for transport and calls. At the end of the month, when i calculated my t-fare, the 10k was just 45 percent of it. So i quit. But for the two months i worked there i also introduced a scheme of deposits from investors that was implemented even in the lagos branch. And i got them an investor in the first month.
I have help a few people with money spining business ideas and they were able to implement it and come back to thank me because they had the funds for it. Right now i have researched on one business which is unique to Nigeria, have samples and have test run it. People who saw the adverts and want it calls me everyday but no investor to fund it. All marketing strategies have been drawn and plotted by me, with plan A,B, and even C. But no investors.
Im a critic so it makes me a perfectionist. Chances are before you tell me im wrong, i would have already seen it and started correcting it.
I get a thrill from plotting strategies and solving seemingly insurmountable problems in businesses. To me its like trying to find a way out of a maze or labyrinth. I wont rest till i solve it.
I am loyal to a fault to people that deserve it. People have called me proactive. I am not contented with just sitting there and earning my salary, i will try to contribute or improve the company.
And thats just about 10 percent of my skills. I have done a lot online. Addwords, addsence, surveys, even forex. So i never sat down and waited for freebies at any point in my life.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by ymkz: 11:23pm On Aug 11, 2011
What a bummer. I got banned as well.

Tried copying ur 3rd post and got locked out.

The spambot must be very hungry tonight.

Maybe that post was too long, not spaced or had funny words?

You might want to split it into 2 or 3 posts, when u've also been unbanned.

Lolz.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by ymkz: 12:02am On Aug 12, 2011
Geeky:
@ afrobaby, mrjaybrown, yamakuza.

Thanks for your comments. Appreciate them.

I have help a few people with
lary was pension. The other youths where just using the bank to while away time. During the five months i stayed with them, i introduced a couple of schemes that they implemented and still use today.

I have help a few people with
[quote][/quote]
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by godspeed2: 5:33am On Aug 12, 2011
Hello Geeky,

Kindly get in touch let's talk business and see how things work out.

micro360 at gmail.com ( replace the at with the email sign)

I don't really use this email address but will keep checking it for the next 24hrs for your email.

God bless.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by meee1: 7:39am On Aug 12, 2011
@Mr Brown jay, if I had my way I will shut your mouth permanently. Fool!!!
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by blank(f): 8:46am On Aug 12, 2011
My bad. I really want to apologise. I will delete my post. Just when i read through, you sounded like you were blaming everyone for your misfortunes in getting a job even to the point of selling ur body. That made me see red cos i believe that girls who think like that were never serious before. I understand your explanation of understanding girls that do such but i can never understand girls that do such.

My classmate in school was doing people's hair to get by in school. After school and no job, she started making hair from her house and now she has a really big salon. Didnt need any man and her parents are late.

With the kind of hard work and determination you have shown so far, you will definitely make it. God bless you.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by blank(f): 8:49am On Aug 12, 2011
Can not modify. Sorry about that.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 9:02am On Aug 12, 2011
@ god_speed. Thanks i sure will send you a mail sharply. @ blank, i guess we can call it a truce. Yeah you cant modify. I tried that once, it dont work. But dont worry, im cool with it anyway. Thanks.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by dip0: 4:25pm On Aug 12, 2011
Geeky, I am a graduate who just completed NYSC last june and after reading through your thread, I think I can relate with what you say even though I am male and relatively fresh from school.
I studied computer science and I am more inclined to the area of Networking, not to say I am totally ignorant in programming, DBMS or other I.T related fileds.
I hope things start looking favourable for as you sure have put in considerable effort and have a drive to prove yourself through hardwork.
Pls, if you could make use of a graduate who has just started his road to building a career in I.T, give me a consideration.
I am currently applying for internships since job offers haven't been forth-coming but so far have not made considerable success.
I am pretty sure it's only a matter of time before things start looking upward for you.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by ymkz: 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2011
Its nice to see people responding.

Kudos, _speed.

I'm sure more offers are still welcome.

Will create an addy and drop it over the weekend.

Might be easier 4 others to reach u if u created an email for this thread. Just saying.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Seun(m): 9:21pm On Aug 12, 2011
Let's chat. I'll pm you my IM details. You just need a little counseling and encouragement.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by ymkz: 12:57am On Aug 13, 2011
^ uhmn. Little? Might take more than that.

Cant imagine how she got it wrong with adwords and the others.

Methinks intern/mentee might be in order, if time permits.

More offers please. Thanks!
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 5:04am On Aug 13, 2011
@Seun thanks for the offer. I would really love and appreciate any help you can give me. But i dont know if its my phone that is playing tricks on me, i cant seem to see your IM details. It just ends with mail me at. @ ymz thanks a lot for trying against all odds to let a sister be heard. You make me hopeful again.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 5:26am On Aug 13, 2011
@ dipo. Yea internships in IT companies are kinda difficult now. But just be a little patient eh? If i do get to meet these big( IT savvy, skills) people here who will take me by the hand and show me like a rookie how to become the ME i see in my dreams everyday, sure we could be of help to eachother. My brain is already very hot from thinking of 1001 places where this will lead already. So lets chill and see first.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 5:27am On Aug 13, 2011
@ dipo. Yea internships in IT companies are kinda difficult now. But just be a little patient eh? If i do get to meet these big( IT savvy, skills) people here who will take me by the hand and show me like a rookie how to become the ME i see in my dreams everyday, sure we could be of help to eachother. My brain is already very hot from thinking of 1001 places where this will lead already. So lets chill and see first.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by godspeed2: 9:11am On Aug 13, 2011
Well I'll have to assume you probably got a very good job within the past 24hrs, cos I kept checking the mail box roughly every 3hrs and didn't even get a hello. Any way all the best.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 10:29am On Aug 13, 2011
@ god speed. I sent you a couple of mails yesterday. But it was returned as mailer daemon. Twice. But i just checked right now and i confirmed i sent it to a yahoo.com not gmail. Please forgive my fowl brain because overexcitement made me use wrong details. I just forward it now. Abeg no vex for me.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 7:20pm On Aug 13, 2011
@ god-speed thanks for the mail. @ moderators please why was the topic changed? I spent ages trying to recognise the thread. Entrepreneurship in the making? How does that relate to this thread? Im kinda confused and would like to know. 1forall? Traez?
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by yamakuza: 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2011
^ felt same too.

Though former title was quite controversial, it was catchy nevertheless and had greater pulling effect.

Any alternative title suggestions?
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 10:30am On Aug 14, 2011
I carefully read through the rules of this forum and one of the rules was a plea or rather subtle warning not to annoy the moderators. But nothing was said about what should be done when it is the reverse. 1forall, trae_z, boriswole, honourable mods, why was the topic changed. It seems like a topic a dumb blonde would start. And on my life, i would never spare it a passing glance talkless of clicking on such a topic. Entrepreneurship in the making? What d hell is that? How is any sensible person supposed to stop by and even check the thread out. Abi una no want my progress?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why You Should Start Your Pension Early / Things To Consider Before Joining The Military / Stanbic-IBTC Bank On A Sacking Spree!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.