Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,573 members, 7,955,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:19 PM

The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com (13254 Views)

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com / Are The Igbos Different From The Ibos- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by Ojiofor: 11:26pm On May 21, 2013
Alhaji harem could u just shut ur crap and get a life?wondering around NL looking for Igbo thread to spew rubbish.there are about 1 million forumites on this site,only u have 500k fake ids and the rest of us sharing the remaining 500k.matter of fact ur useless opinion does not change anything so u better engage urself with something useful..

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by bigfrancis21: 8:52am On May 22, 2013
Ojiofor: Alhaji harem could u just shut ur crap and get a life?wondering around NL looking for Igbo thread to spew rubbish.there are about 1 million forumites on this site,only u have 500k fake ids and the rest of us sharing the remaining 500k.matter of fact ur useless opinion does not change anything so u better engage urself with something useful..
Don't mind him. In the face of massive evidence, his lies all crumble up. His obsession with anything Igbo is pathetic. He'd do anything to see the downfall of the Igbo. He claims to be Ijaw and Ijaw hates the Igbo, yet reality is far different from the fantasies he spreads on nairaland.
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by IGBOSON1: 10:11am On May 22, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Don't mind him. In the face of massive evidence, his lies all crumble up. His obsession with anything Igbo is pathetic. He'd do anything to see the downfall of the Igbo. He claims to be Ijaw and Ijaw hates the Igbo, yet reality is far different from the fantasies he spreads on nairaland.

^^^BigFrancis21, i have to admit that i'm really impressed with the way you schooled that hateful man. It's like a boxing match between a heavyweight champion and a skinny annoying little twerp with a mouth that runs like a broken tap.....with each round the heavyweight delivers a knockout punch, yet the annoying twerp (bloodied nose and all) still insists on continuing the match.....not realizing that he's having the crap beaten out of him owing to his sozzled brain. By round 12, the poor sod is so beaten-up and pathetic that he's carried off on a stretcher straight to A&E! grin grin

6 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by ijawcitizen(m): 1:03pm On May 22, 2013
Yeah!
Pls console him, I've whooped his a.s.s enough here. The next would be you, Dede1, Andre Uweh and whoever that care to follow in that succession.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by bigfrancis21: 3:38pm On May 22, 2013
@Igbo Son: Thanks man.

1 Like

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by ijawcitizen(m): 7:31pm On May 22, 2013
bigfrancis21: @Igbo Son: Thanks man.
Now you see how he's thanking you for consoling him? What a generation of waste and senselessness!

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by bigfrancis21: 11:40pm On May 22, 2013
ijaw citizen: Now you see how he's thanking you for consoling him? What a generation of waste and senselessness!

You're indeed demented. How do you know someone who's demented? He knows very well the atrocities which he commits yet he turns around and points at another accusing fingers of the same sins which he's guilty of.

Keep spewing your accusations. Your accusations your character. At least, the more you spew them out the more you tell us more about yourself and expose the quality of your bad and dirty spirit. This life is short. I know where people of your caliber who lived all their life consumed with hatred and animosity for their fellow man head to.
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by ijawcitizen(m): 11:24am On May 25, 2013
Igbo people no dey Bonny and Opobo, if e pain una well well, make una go die. Save yourselves the trouble because even if you attempt to cross over to claim these towns, you'll eventually get drowned so better just commit the suicide right where you are.

And don't forget to leave a note stating your reason for suicide being that Igboland is landlocked, also advice others with same landlockophobia to follow suit because this world is not suitable for your kinds.

Long live the landlocked Rep. of Igboland

Long live the oil rich & maritime blessed Rep. of Ijawland!

1 Like

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by Preshioux(m): 8:42am On Jul 16, 2013
Bonny igbo and ibani are spoken in bonny, ibani is the original language of the people, igbo came about when freed igbo slaves were dropped in bonny...igbo gradually became more spoken than ibani in bonny...simple..

3 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2013
Preshioux: Bonny igbo and ibani are spoken in bonny, ibani is the original language of the people, igbo came about when freed igbo slaves were dropped in bonny...igbo gradually became more spoken than ibani in bonny...simple..

never mind
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by oturugo(m): 9:04pm On Jul 16, 2013
ijaw citizen: Igbo people no dey Bonny and Opobo, if e pain una well well, make una go die. Save yourselves the trouble because even if you attempt to cross over to claim these towns, you'll eventually get drowned so better just commit the suicide right where you are.

And don't forget to leave a note stating your reason for suicide being that Igboland is landlocked, also advice others with same landlockophobia to follow suit because this world is not suitable for your kinds.

Long live the landlocked Rep. of Igboland

Long live the oil rich & maritime blessed Rep. of Ijawland!
Monkey, why does any thing Igbo choke your breath, get a life fool.
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by Preshioux(m): 9:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
The (amayanabo) king of bonny is called king william edward dappa pepple

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by bigfrancis21: 7:58am On Jul 17, 2013
Preshioux: Bonny igbo and ibani are spoken in bonny, ibani is the original language of the people, igbo came about when freed igbo slaves were dropped in bonny...igbo gradually became more spoken than ibani in bonny...simple..

Can you estimate the percentage number of Ibani speakers in relation to the whole bonny population?
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by Abagworo(m): 8:46am On Jul 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Can you estimate the percentage number of Ibani speakers in relation to the whole bonny population?

In this modern age,the arguments are unnecessary. Igbo is the central language in Bonny Island as a 1st language to some and a 2nd language to others but the other areas around it still retain the original Ibani language.

I believe that a random DNA test can solve the problem of majority lineage but today Bonny is ethnically more affiliated to Ijaw nation than Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by bigfrancis21: 7:26pm On Jul 17, 2013
Abagworo:

In this modern age,the arguments are unnecessary. Igbo is the central language in Bonny Island as a 1st language to some and a 2nd language to others but the other areas around it still retain the original Ibani language.

I believe that a random DNA test can solve the problem of majority lineage but today Bonny is ethnically more affiliated to Ijaw nation than Igbo.

Alright. Thanks for the enlightenment. You're a true rivers boy. Lol. I was in port harcourt on saturday. I heard igbo(more like owerri igbo. I guess the speakers are etche, egbema, or umumma people) being spoken everywhere.
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by Abagworo(m): 8:07pm On Jul 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Alright. Thanks for the enlightenment. You're a true rivers boy. Lol. I was in port harcourt on saturday. I heard igbo(more like owerri igbo. I guess the speakers are etche, egbema, or umumma people) being spoken everywhere.

I'm an Igbo guy. THe language you heard is very likely Etche or Ikwerre dialect of Omerelu-Elele axis. You might find the deeper ones less intelligible.
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by bigfrancis21: 11:43pm On Jul 17, 2013
Abagworo:

I'm an Igbo guy. THe language you heard is very likely Etche or Ikwerre dialect of Omerelu-Elele axis. You might find the deeper ones less intelligible.

Yea I know you're an Igbo guy. I do know, however, that your maternal side is rivers state. That's why I said 'you're a true Rivers guy', as in, you know your mom's state well.
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by ijawcitizen(m): 6:17pm On Jul 18, 2013
Abagworo:

Obviously, you do not know the entire BONNY ISLAND very well. Igbo creole is only spoken in 1-of-5 section of BONNY ISLAND.

We have the Bonny maintown which is heralded by the Jetty when coming from PH. This maintown is also the ancient slave port and relics of the ancient slave camps & storage warehouses are stil there. This is the same area where much of the Igbo creole is spoken. It is also the same area where much of the slave-trading took place under the control of the Amanyanabo and his chiefs.

Other areas like Finima where NLNG is located is a purely Ibani speaking communtity. This is the same area where the NLNG-runned school could not keep up with the language program because 70% of the students are non-natives and children of Oil/NLNG workers from all over Nigeria, mostly northerners.

But Ignorant Igbos claimed it was the "Igbo natives" of Bonny that rejected "the imposition of Ibani language" on a Finima community that is already Ibani. How stu.pid & ignorant can one get?

Other sections of the Ibani speaking Island are Abalamabie, Orupiri, Iwoama & Orosikiri.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by MansaPiye: 8:37pm On Dec 21, 2015
The Bonny people claim an I'gbo descent.

Their territory, which is not very extensive, is by them named Ebane, whence Bonny.

By the I'gbos, it is pronounced Obane, and by New Kalabar Ibane.

The Bonny-town or Grand Bonny-town of the English is correctly Okuloma, by Brass called Okuloba, for which I heard at Bonny the following derivation.

When people first came to this place to build a town, they found it a vast swamp, where bred numbers of a bird resembling a curlew, which they called Okulo. After settlers became numerous these birds deserted the spot, whence they said Okuloma, i.e., the curlews fly away.

Peppel said that Abo men often called Bonny Osimini-ku, but I have myself at Abo heard of Okuloma. New Kalabar is in Bonny named Karabari, but is also known as Bom ; the language differs somewhat from the Ebane, but not so much as to prevent people of the one tribe from understanding those of the other.

Oru is known at Bonny as Ejo or Eso.

Bonny men talk of Abo as E'be and A'be, but sometimes distinguish between Abo and Okurotumbi in Oru, styling the one Abo'ba or Great Abo, and the other Abo'nta or Little Abo, so that Lander was not so far wrong about " Little Eboe " after all.

Bonny people do not make their own canoes, but purchase them from the Bassa people in Oru. Much palm-oil is bought by Bonny traders in Ndoki, which place is known to them as Mina. Among places mentioned to me by Peppel as known to himself were Ndeli, U'zuzu, Ikpofia, Egane, and A'bua, these being written according to his pronunciation.

Ndoki, Ngswa, and parts of Isuama and E'lugu, can, he stated, be reached by canoe.

He also said that A'ro, to which his people make pilgrimages as well as the Igbos, is from four to five days' journey from Bonny-town. In Bonny no national mark is employed, but in New Kalabar some mark along the forehead over the eyes and shave parts of the head.

Between Bonny and New Kalabar is a small territory named Okrika, in-habited by a separate tribe, but tributary to Bonny. The people from this place never trade directly with white men, but are obliged to sell their articles either to New Kalabar or Bonny traders ; they spend much of their time in canoes, and are great fishermen.

Beyond New Kalabar are people living on the river Sombreiro, who speak a dialect nearly approaching to that of New Kalabar, to which place they bring palm-oil.

To the eastward of Bonny are the Adoni or Andoni people living on the river Andoni or St. Domingo. About 1848 or 1849, there was a war between Bonny and Adoni, which ended in the subjugation of the latter.

The religion of all these places is fetish paganism, the dju-dju or sacred object of Bonny being the Iguana, of Okrika the pigeon, and of New Kalabar the shark. Further along, at Brass or Nimbe the snake is the dju-dju.

At Bonny the week of seven days has for some time been adopted, but formerly, king Peppel informed me, the week was one of eight days, of which he gave me the names of five, but he had forgotten the others.

At Bonny and in that neighbourhood blue baff or calico is used as mourning, at the Benin river and in that direction white baff is similarly employed, while at Brass both are worn.

Old Kalabar is known at Bonny as well as in I'gbo as Efiki, and at A'ro they talk of a people living near or among the E'fik, whom they call Monor Mong. Old Kalabar is not known at all at Abo.

At Bonny yams are not cultivated, for home use a few are got from Okrika, but the greatest supply is from the market at Ogobendo ; the ships again have to send for this valuable tuber to Fernando Po.

Narrative of an exploring voyage up the rivers Kwóra and Bínue (commonly known as the Niger and Tsádda) in 1854.
With a map and appendices. Pub. with the sanction of Her Majesty's government.

By William Balfour Baikie

Published 1856

4 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by KratosCorp: 3:51pm On May 31, 2017
I love this.

I miss this old part of you.

Why the change sir?

Abagworo:

Nothing is difficult to comprehend or do you want me to post pictures and videos of boat regalia and their names, the language spoken during the festival or should I dig history archives on the origin of Jaja from Isuama? The truth is that various peoples from Isuama, Ngwa, Etche, Ndoki, Ezinihitte (all Igbo groups), Efik, Ibibio, Annang etc populate the present day Opobo and to some extent Bonny. There existed some earlier Ijaw speaking people as well but something must have led to the change of language of preference to Igbo and that is where I disagree with you. The Igbo language was not forced on anyone but was adopted by everyone either as 1st or 2nd language to Ibani long before colonization. Today people are going everywhere trying to erase the Igbo part of the history on the falsehood that they have nothing in common with Igbos or that during the regional government of barely 6years, Igbos forcefully changed the language. Why have they not been able to forcefully erase the Igbo language after 43 years?
Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by hitmanogo: 6:10am On Sep 03, 2021
Igbo language is the Lingua franca of bonny and opobo.
ijawcitizen:
You see what LANDLOCKOPHOBIA is pushing you guys into? So cowardly grin grin grin grin

Why don't you summon some little courage, go to Bonny and shout stuupid things like "Igbo kwenu" and expect to come back in one piece grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com by Niflheim(m): 3:10pm On Jan 01, 2022
ijawcitizen:
You see what LANDLOCKOPHOBIA is pushing you guys into? So cowardly grin grin grin grin

Why don't you summon some little courage, go to Bonny and shout stuupid things like "Igbo kwenu" and expect to come back in one piece grin grin grin grin

The day they try it, is the day there will be new additions/collections in the IKUBAWARI!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alaafin Begs Aliko Dangote To Extend Employment Generation Drive To Oyo Kingdom / Obaship Crisis Rocks Yorubas In FCT / Akarigbo Of Remo Visits Ayangbure Of Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.