Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Ways To Get Your Identity Stolen - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ways To Get Your Identity Stolen (569 Views)

Stolen Laptop,surface Tablet,a Child Pad- 20,000 Ransome For Who Finds It For Me / 8 Ways You Didn’t Know Hackers Could Steal Your Identity. / 10 Musts In Protecting Your Identity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ways To Get Your Identity Stolen by rhamzus(m): 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2011
1. Malware, particularly keyloggers, installed on the computer. Obviously these can steal your identity by capturing the keys you press and the screens you see. You can prevent them by running as standard user, running up to date antivirus software, keeping your operating system and applications up to date and exercising caution.

2.Misconfigured peer-to-peer apps are also a common mistake of users. If a user configures P2P applications like utorrent to share too large a portion of the file system, such as all of My Documents, then other users on the network can see anything you put there.

3.Phishing is not quite the threat it used to be, but it's still widely used. Nowadays the real phishing threat comes from targeted phishing attacks called spear phishing, in which the attacker uses some prior knowledge of you to tailor the phishing e-mail to what you would expect in a real one. Be aware of the site you are actually viewing and be especially suspicious of links that come in unsolicited e-mails.

4.Nigerian-type scams are also probably never going to go away because they rely on human weaknesses. When you receive an unsolicited offer that sounds too good to be true.

5.Criminals often install skimmers on ATMs and other card reading devices, including credit card readers. These are devices which install over the reader appear to be part of the machine. When you insert your card the skimmer reads it and records the information on it. They are often used in combination with surreptitious cameras to record the keys you press for the PIN.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On My Desktop Computer / The Effect Of Pluging Your Laptop To A Voltage Below 100v / Very Clean Nigeria Used Opel For Sale, Asking Price Is 550,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.