Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:33 AM

I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer (11391 Views)

Hello Guys I Need Someone That Is Good At Google Documents / Do You Need A Computer Science Degree To Get A Job At Google And The Likes? / How Can I Build An Android App Without Being A Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:05am On Sep 20, 2022
islamics:

Back then, it was the naive me feeling fly immediately after school but now I don calm down. grin
I once stumbled upon a first class guy on Twitter asking MIT about how many retweet is needed for him to get in? I just smile to myself.

You can still go there Sha. I think one needs to focus on leaving this country first and probably grow more in their career. I know a few people who went but they went to lesser universities did well and went to MIT. Some worked in reputable companies for years and got referred by past alumni.

You will be surprised at what you can achieve when you aren't in Nigeria

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Najdorf: 9:48am On Sep 20, 2022
@tensazangetsu20 and @islamics

I am aware you can get into Google without going to these schools. It just makes things easier but obviously there are many paths to working at FAANG

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Najdorf: 9:53am On Sep 20, 2022
islamics:

Back then, it was the naive me feeling fly immediately after school but now I don calm down. grin
I once stumbled upon a first class guy on Twitter asking MIT about how many retweet is needed for him to get in? I just smile to myself.
Lol MIT is still my dream school and I'll still be applying there this winter although my chances are infinitesimal.

I have a similar dream to OP's, but rather I'm interested in working as researcher in DeepMind(owned by Google).

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Immunity1555: 11:55am On Sep 20, 2022
We have the following learning paths(from Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced) that you can choose: Project Management, Frontend Development/Mobile App, Backend,Ui/Ux, Digital Marketing, Graphic Design, Devops/Cloud Dev, MySQL, PHP, Phyton and many more.
All that You want to achieve can be achieve at Bincom Global Tech Program.
To learn more and register,click this link:https://www.bincom.net/globaltech
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Ayinke93(f): 7:25pm On Sep 20, 2022
Hannania:

Your dreams are valid, but it seems you have too many dust. Let's clean it up.

1. An OOP hard core language is the bane to work at FAANG. Python, C++, Java are the norm. Meta will get you to learn Hack, which is a variation to PHP.

Please don't learn multiple languages randomly. Stick to one for learning DSA, and use Javascript/PHP for your web dev.

2. Don't waste inefficient time solving questions randomly. It's always good to see what others have donr successfully, and replicate it and even better.

Try and learn the fundamentals of all data structures first. Coursera has nice courses that teaches fundamentals. The reason why whites and Asians are good with cracking FAANG is because they have solid fundamentals. Use the linked below to get same resources schools like Harvard, Berkeley, and MIT train their students:
https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Courses/CS61B/

There are about 17 patterns of which 90% of Leetcode programming questions are centered on. Know such patterns, and you'll find ease of solving the rest.
https://github.com/cl2333/Grokking-the-Coding-Interview-Patterns-for-Coding-Questions

When I started leetcoding few months ago, it was overwhelming. So I stopped and asked people I have as connections on linked who work at Google, Amazon, Dropbox, Meta, Microsoft, Palantir how they did it. They showed me the path to learning patterns, and right now, I could easily solve 2 questions a day on a medium like question on the 9 patterns I've learnt so far.

Follow this link for a detail guide:
It has 120 questions which cover all 17 patterns.

https://bowtiedfox.substack.com › fa...
10 Step Guide for Literally ANYONE to Land a 6-Figure FAANG Job.

When you've down the above, please check this link below on structured guide depending on the time you have. For 3 months plan, there are 75 questions, they call it Grind75 or Blind75. But when you edit the site for a six months plan, you get 169 questions. More indebt and enough to help you crack any interview. Here is it:

https://www.techinterviewhandbook.org/grind75?weeks=12

3.Concerning buying leetcode premium, please don't pressure yourself. Every question on leetcode premium is on github, solved or on youtube.

For Cracking the coding interview, check the link below with solutions on github. The readme has links for java,C++ and python.
https://github.com/careercup/CtCI-6th-Edition

The link below has all leetcode premium questions for virtually every known company that uses DSA as a test. Don't get overwhelmed, most repeat themselves.
https://github.com/hxu296/leetcode-company-wise-problems-2022

These days, I don't solve questions on leetcode, rather I created a repo and keep track of my work while solving the patterns on my laptop.

Good luck lad

omo! thank you!!! this is gold

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:47pm On Sep 20, 2022
Ok guys, today has been hectic for me. Couldn't do anything all day. I guess I have to dedicate the rest of the night to Java course. I started the course few weeks ago and I must confess, Java syntax is a bit messy.

Hopefully I will be able to complete the course tonight so I can start hackerrank tommorow when my laptop arrives.

Yo! Have been reading some contributions on how getting a degree in Ivy league schools can boost once chance of working at faang. I come from a biological science background, still an undergrad though; genetics to be precise. I am contemplating having my masters in computational biology since it is the closest to the programming field. What are your thoughts?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by qtguru(m): 12:21pm On Sep 21, 2022
Contribution , this can help at least break it down for you

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Babtunz: 12:29pm On Sep 21, 2022
qtguru:

What program is this, please?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by qtguru(m): 12:45pm On Sep 21, 2022
Babtunz:

What program is this, please?

Adora's Wolfprogram on her Slack channel , I just use it as a guide for study

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Babtunz: 1:04pm On Sep 21, 2022
qtguru:

Adora's Wolfprogram on her Slack channel , I just use it as a guide for study

Is it paid?
How can I join? Thanks
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Samuell2019(m): 1:20pm On Sep 21, 2022
qtguru:

Thanks for sharing
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 7:41pm On Sep 21, 2022
Ok guys, I finally got my laptop today. It is a core i3 4G RAM. I know it is definitely going to stress me but it will do for the mean time. Ah, the battery is also poor 2hrs I think.

Ye! I couldn't finish the Java course on solo learn. I was stuck on a question on OOP. Hope to find my way around tonight. I almost regret choosing Java for DSA, cos WTF is this, have to write public static void and other sort of bullshit. To make matter worse, everything is literally about classes and constructors... at least the once have learnt. Well it is too late to back out now.

I will be spending tonight revisiting netninja tutorial on react. I almost finishe the tutorial b4 my LP crashed. I guess, I will have to start again.

Special thanks to everyone that have contributed to the thread so far....and Qtguru thanks for the scheme on DSA, it will help me and others that are just starting out.
Regards.
AlchemyOfCodes

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by MikeyOz: 10:56pm On Sep 21, 2022
Congrats on your pc... It's not much but it'll really go a long way for you
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Nwachukwu97(m): 3:51am On Sep 22, 2022
For those interested in learning programming, especially those based in Port Harcourt, Rivers state, you have a once in a lifetime opportunity. Loctech IT Training Institute is having their scholarship program and you can be part of it. Here's the link to register for the scholarship.
Courses being offered include Python Programming, Full-Stack Web Development, Data Science, UI/UX... and lots more.
https://forms.gle/Kuq2tnhq3baYeFVa8
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Najdorf: 4:55am On Sep 22, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Ok guys, I finally got my laptop today. It is a core i3 4G RAM. I know it is definitely going to stress me but it will do for the mean time. Ah, the battery is also poor 2hrs I think.

Ye! I couldn't finish the Java course on solo learn. I was stuck on a question on OOP. Hope to find my way around tonight. I almost regret choosing Java for DSA, cos WTF is this, have to write public static void and other sort of bullshit. To make matter worse, everything is literally about classes and constructors... at least the once have learnt. Well it is too late to back out now.

I will be spending tonight revisiting netninja tutorial on react. I almost finishe the tutorial b4 my LP crashed. I guess, I will have to start again.

Special thanks to everyone that have contributed to the thread so far....and Qtguru thanks for the scheme on DSA, it will help me and others that are just starting out.
Regards.
AlchemyOfCodes
Java is definitely a weird choice for DSA/Competitive Programming. It can still be used but it's not so common compared to C++

And for the PC, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact it's the battery life that gives me the most concern. Do you have constant power supply?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 9:08am On Sep 22, 2022
That is my biggest headache for now. We didn't have light yesterday at all. Although, sometimes the light maybe constant for a day or two. I just have to get another battery because light here is terrible. Although I have backup.... Generator. Will just have to spend more on petrol pending the time I get a better battery.

Najdorf:

Java is definitely a weird choice for DSA/Competitive Programming. It can still be used but it's not so common compared to C++

And for the PC, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact it's the battery life that gives me the most concern. Do you have constant power supply?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 7:06am On Sep 23, 2022
hey guys please help. i have been getting this error since yesterday while creating react app. i have tried everything possible. checked stack overflow and all of that, but nothing is working. The version of my node js is v17.3.0.

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Slimpythonistah(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
hey guys please help. i have been getting this error since yesterday while creating react app. i have tried everything possible. checked stack overflow and all of that, but nothing is working. The version of my node js is v17.3.0.

You have a problem with internet connectivity so you need to find a better internet connection...

And if you're using a VPN, you might have to stop.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 11:36am On Sep 23, 2022
Thanks
Slimpythonistah
:

You have a problem with internet connectivity so you need to find a better internet connection...

And if you're using a VPN, you might have to stop.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Slimpythonistah(m): 11:56am On Sep 23, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Thanks

Glad to help
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 1:19pm On Sep 23, 2022
I am using glo network. I believe the issue is from the network...will try my other Airtel line although my battery is dead.

It been a while since I updated u guys ony learning process. Well since I got laptop, have been installing apps and YouTube tutorials. Have downloaded the netninja react course, hopefully will start today... Light is still a major issue though. No light for the past 3 days... Been surviving on generator.

Anyways am making little progress learning java. I was already confused at some point while learning the course on solo learn. But after I downloaded the book "head first java" I think everything is becoming clearer now. I also downloaded the mosh Ahmedani course on java for beginners.

Well I will be focussing on mastering java and react for the next couple of months. I will also apply for a financial aid on coursera for a course on DSA created by Princeton university...I think their algorithm is based on java so that will definitely help.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Slimpythonistah(m): 3:09pm On Sep 23, 2022
Head first Java is a magnificent book. I remember using it and I would suggest that you step up your knowledge with "Java for Absolute Beginners" after you are done with head first.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Slimpythonistah(m): 3:12pm On Sep 23, 2022
Another thing is not to use multiple resources at once to learn one thing. You can learn two different things at once but don't use multiple sources to learn one thing.

Finish one book before going to the next book on the same subject. Same goes for courses.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 5:59pm On Sep 23, 2022
Thanks. Noted.

Slimpythonistah:
Another thing is not to use multiple resources at once to learn one thing. You can learn two different things at once but don't use multiple sources to learn one thing.

Finish one book before going to the next book on the same subject. Same goes for courses.
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 2:15pm On Sep 25, 2022
Yo! It is so good to be back. I don't know what is happening to NEPA lately, but anyways we move.

We'll have not been able to solve the network issues despite changing the timeout if my npmrc file. I guess I will have to get a MTN line then.

Meanwhile have started the mosh hamedani course on Java. Found a way too incorporate Java in VS code so I don't have to download heavy IDE.

Based on some advice I got here, I have also enrolled for the Princeton University course on DSA. The course is absolutely free for those interested, but there is no certificate Sha.

I have set a new target for myself. I intend to read 30 pages of Head first Java and 20 pages of secret of the JavaScript Ninja everyday. By my estimation, going by the pages have covered so far, I should be done in a month.

I have also decided to suspend reading cornmen algorithm for now till I am at least very sure of knowing the fundamentals of DSA. Hopefully when I complete the DSA course on Java, I will be good to go
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2022
Yes, I will also be publishing an article each week on hashnode starting from next week. Might drop some links here for review anyway. Once I fix this issue of network on react, I will probably write my first article on that if the issue is not from a bad network.

I will also be starting the 100days of code challenge on Twitter from next week. I intend improve my social media presence online and also connect to techies with like mind.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Savagr(m): 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2022
Hello
@AlchemyOfCodes
Did you get a job while learning
Or how do you sought out the financial aspect
That's one of the main things holding me down here
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 6:21pm On Sep 25, 2022
I take evening tutorials for secondary school students . At some point I did freelance writing on Guru, truelancer, and Freelance. I even wrote blog posts at a time. There are lots of stuffs you can do as a side hustle. Writing is one niche you might want to consider.

Savagr:
Hello
@AlchemyOfCodes
Did you get a job while learning
Or how do you sought out the financial aspect
That's one of the main things holding me down here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Savagr(m): 6:30pm On Sep 25, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
I take evening tutorials for secondary school students . At some point I did freelance writing on Guru, truelancer, and Freelance. I even wrote blog posts at a time. There are lots of stuffs you can do as a side hustle. Writing is one niche you might want to consider.

okay
Thanks alot
I tried writing sometimes ago but got discouraged
Will certainly return back

1 Like

Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Xinjin: 10:47pm On Sep 25, 2022
AlchemyOfCodes:
Ensure you have a very strong network connection for create react app. by the way are you learning JavaScript, DSA or react?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by AlchemyOfCodes: 3:27am On Sep 26, 2022
React and DSA
Already learnt the basics of JavaScript, the book am reading on JS is just for understanding mostly OOP concepts in JS.
Xinjin:
Ensure you have a very strong network connection for create react app. by the way are you learning JavaScript, DSA or react?
Re: I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 26, 2022
Awesome
I wish you the best

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Google Parent Alphabet To Cut 12,000 Jobs / Nigerian Made Android Apps for Android Phones / Fingerprint Programming In ASP.NET

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.